Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: V-cube 4 pillowed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 pm 

I just got my V-cube 4 (pillowed) yesterday. Lovin' it sooo much!! It's the smoothest turning 4x4x4 I've ever had the pleasure to experience. My first 4x4x4 was the original rubik's brand, and a face center broke off not long after. My second was an East Sheen, which was so stiff it was painful to solve. My third was a Meffert's, which was much smoother, and one of my favorite puzzles. But the V-cube 4 trumps them all, by far. It's not as smooth as the V-cube 3 -- sometimes it feels like it's on the verge of jamming (but not quite), but it still beats every other 4x4x4 I've ever had.

Congrats to V-cube for another excellent quality product!!

Post subject: Re: V-cube 4 pillowed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:20 pm 

Great to hear that! And it will soon get better the more it is broken in. :)

I am waiting for the cubic version. The pillowed is one I LOVE, however should I want to enter into a competition I cannot do that with that cube and it's too expensive to buy two :?

I saw a live stream of it, and it was wonderful! You could just hear the cube improve with time, great! It promises great things indeed when it is better than the knockoff brand we all know :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:12 pm 

You're right about it improving over time: it's barely a day and it's already starting to turn smoother in the previous spots that felt like they wanted to jam. This is seriously on a whole new level from all previous 4x4x4's I've had. It's in its own league altogether. I'm very, very impressed. If the V-cube folks would apply this level of refinement to the 6x6x6's, I'd be tempted to buy another one!

I got the cubic 6x6x6 from way back when it was first released, and it was impressive but also rather fragile, which limited its playability. (The 7x7x7 was a lot less fragile by comparison!) This 4x4x4, OTOH, is so solidly built that I'm sure its mechanism must have had some kind of improvement over the stock V-cube design. I'm quite confident that if the 6x6x6 mechanism were to be refined in similar ways, they'd work much better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 am 

I just read on CBC's facebook that someone got a v4 in with two missing innards.

What a bummer that must be! I can feel his pain, I had it happen to me with 4 pieces missing from my knockoff 6x6.

Hopefully Verdes will fix that soon and it'll be the only one. Especially around this time when things are newly brought out this is not good advertisement.

I am still longing for the cubic version.. *hops on seat*
(how silly one can get from anticipating a new cube huh :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:25 am 

Update: now that it's been a few days later, and I've solved the Vcube-4 a good number of times, it's more broken-in now, and I have to say, this is absolutely the most amazing 4x4x4 ever. There is now virtually no stiffness at all, and definitely no feeling of near-jamming. It turns superbly, and can hold up to lots of abuse (like very fast turns, slightly misaligned turns, flicks, etc.), and pretty much turns as well as the Vcube-3 that I have (which is also the best 3x3x3 I've ever had). All the initial stiffness, feeling of almost jamming, etc., are gone. All I can say now is, wow. I could speed-cube with this baby, if I only knew how.

This is a drastically different experience from the Vcube-6, which I've had for years now, and it still turns choppily, and is quite fragile to boot. It's already quite worn-in (and believe me, I tried to wear it in, in the hopes that it would become smoother -- it did, but nowhere near as smooth as the Vcube-4 for sure!). But it still pops every now and then, and the central core gets misaligned if you're turning it fast, and the puzzle can explode if you keep turning it fast at that point. Which makes me wonder, if this is because the V6 I have is an earlier model and the Vcube guys have improved it since, or is this an inherent limitation of a 6x6x6? Has anyone ever compared a recent Vcube-6 to an early one and noticed a significant difference?