Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Making custom Magic puzzles
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:21 pm 

I am currently working on a way to build my own Magic puzzles (AKA Rubik's Magic) from scratch.

I have my own puzzle pictures and solutions to use on mutlple sized puzzles, so I don't think I'll be infriging Rubik in any way. I would of course like to buy the parts, but unfortunately Rubiks.com doesn't sell the DIY kit anymore, nor can I find it anywhere on the Web.

If you know of anyone who sells the DIY kit, or if you can sell me the parts to make the puzzle, please message me!

Otherwise, I am currently debating which is the best (most pleasing to the eye and most cost effective) way to make the clear plastic panels, by carving out sheets of acrylic or by injection molding, or by 3D printing, or some other way. The fishing line should be easy to find, but I have no idea where to get the metal joiners that make the fishing wire into loops! The links here are dead:

http://twistypuzzles.com/articles/magic-restringing/

So, any help would be much appreciated! :)

Post subject: Re: Making custom Magic puzzles
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:17 pm 

Cubesmith seems to still have tiles here.
Really, the easiest way to do it is to just buy a few new magics. They have the right strings included!

Also, I recommend against following those instructions for stringing. This technique works better, and can be applied to different shaped solutions.
It gets a lot easier with practise, but expect to have them explode more than a few times :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 am 

Hmmm, thanks for the link, but they don't have strings; and I couldn't afford mass quantities of panels at that price!

Steveo wrote:
Cubesmith seems to still have tiles here.
Really, the easiest way to do it is to just buy a few new magics. They have the right strings included!

Also, I recommend against following those instructions for stringing. This technique works better, and can be applied to different shaped solutions.
It gets a lot easier with practise, but expect to have them explode more than a few times :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:06 pm 

If that's too expensive then none of the other things you mentioned are anywhere near possible. Just buy new magics and take them apart- the right number of strings are included there for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 pm 

Steveo wrote:
If that's too expensive then none of the other things you mentioned are anywhere near possible. Just buy new magics and take them apart- the right number of strings are included there for you.

Injection molding is cheaper, and milling acrylic could be cheaper than that. There must be some way to make the strings cheaply. It's just fishing line and little metal joiners. I know the Magic is far less expensive to make than what they sell it for. I guess it will be more expensive than that to hand-make a custom Magic, but it can't be as expensive as buying a new Magic puzzle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm 

Those would only be cheaper if you are making thousands of tiles and selling at a markup, which would be infringing on Rubik's patent.
What are you trying to make?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 am 

Steveo wrote:
Those would only be cheaper if you are making thousands of tiles and selling at a markup, which would be infringing on Rubik's patent.
What are you trying to make?

Like I said in the original post, I want to make custom Magic puzzles with my own artwork and puzzle solutions. I don't intend to use anything patented or copyrighted by Rubik. Their patent expired. Unless you know of another patent that I am unaware of, that's not infinging anything of theirs.

Not thousands of panels, but hundreds anyway. I would have a small operation, so yeah it would be more expensive than what they do, but I'm looking for cheaper alternatives than buying their puzzles and converting them. Ideally, I'd like to buy a reasonably priced DIY kit from somewhere, but apparently, they don't exist anymore.