DSCF3251.jpg [ 55.7 KiB | Viewed 2999 times ]
- May not work at the moment...
Lets start from the beginning.
Ever since my first and only 5x5x3
was made back in 2009 I've felt the need to make a redesign.
First and formost it's huge, that alone should be enough reason for a new design. The other thing comes to show when you try to solve it (something I have not yet done, damn parity..). It works great, smooth and stable turning, until pieces start to fly all over the place.
And lets not get started on olzing. I know it's cool and makes non-buildable puzzles possible, but I like the clean look of a propotional cuboid. No olzing, no pillowing and no rectangular cubies.
Not long after the original 5x5x3 was made I started designing a smaller version. It still had olzing, although not as much of it, but I had no plans on hiding it. I also made the mech stronger to resist pops. But I kept getting into problems and enevtually quit working on what would have been 5x5x3 v2.
In the years that followed I have from time to time been looking back at the 5x5x3 looking for new ways to design it, but nothing good ever happend from that.
Then we have the 4x4x2. After successfully making a smaller working non olzed version of that the plans for a 5x5x3 revisit was hatched.
So when Shapeways had one of their discounts I decided to get on working on the 5x5x3 again. My goal was to make a propotional good working non olzed puzzle.
The first thing I did was to scrap the v-mech used in all previous designs and start from scratch to make something more useful in this case.
Although I had a prototype design done that time I ended up not having it made.
Then comes Shapeways 3 days of 3D campain in early december. This is when I decided to actually make it.
So I spent a day with the design I made earlier and as usually it was totally redone, but in the same way. This is what became the 5x5x3 version 3, just like the 4x4x2 the v2 never got made.
When it came to the choise of size I decided to go with the same size as a normal Rubik's 5x5 missing two layers. The reason for that size was that it is a working size, although the biggest reason was that I was able to get stickers cheaper and discrete
My intention was to show it on christmas eve, but I didn't get the stickers until yesterday.
And when I was done sticker it, the stickers started to fall off. I guess the stickers didn't like painted WSF, or the dust it had gathered from sitting on my desk for a month. So I had to glue them all in place.
Thanks for all nice comments so far, they make it all worth doing
Please say your putting this on Shapeways...
I'm sorry but don't get your hopes up.
For a starter so does it need a redesign before I'll sell anything. For instance, the screws on the 5x5 sides sticks out about a millimeter and makes a bump in the sticker because there is no place at all for them inside.. Any tips??
Secondly, if I'll sell any it will not be trough Shapeways due to the fact any chinacopycompany can get the designs from there. Instead I'll make a few and sell them myself.
DSCF3252.jpg [ 58.55 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3253.jpg [ 62.53 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3254.jpg [ 60.17 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3255.jpg [ 54.65 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3257.jpg [ 52.66 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3258.jpg [ 66.07 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3259.jpg [ 74.15 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3260.jpg [ 70.94 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3261.jpg [ 58.52 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
DSCF3262.jpg [ 62.58 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]
The last picture was taken before the video was made. First time I solved a 5x5x3
I have a crappy webcam video of that solve.
And I like the topic title, so I'll probably not change that any time soon