Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: X-Cube
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 am 

Hi cubers!

This is a new puzzle of mine, the X-Cube. It was built using a 3D printer. I'm very excited with how it turned out. It turns very smoothly and is a lot of fun to solve.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_z0hyUvI8c

I was VERY shocked to get 1 million views in 3 days. There has been a lot of talk about getting a patent for the cube and licensing it. Does this ever work? How do you guys do it?

Post subject: Re: X-Cube
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 pm 

Honestly.. I would disable the comments on your video.. atrocious, some people!

I love what you have done, very nice and smooth turning. Good job!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:14 pm 

This is a very cool puzzle.
I agree with the disabled youtube comments idea.
I hope this doesn't sound rude, because I really don't mean for it to, I don't know what mechanism is being used, but is it original enough to apply for a patent?
I would guess it is similar to a 3x3x5 but with more faces extended.
But, maybe you did it in some revolutionary way that needs to be patented, I'll let people with more knowledge answer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 pm 

Excellent puzzle! I really like the idea.

In regards to patents, I would say not to bother. I don't think there is a way you would be able to justify the cost of it, even if it were manufactured. I would suggest you try and contact manufacturers to see if they like the puzzle enough to consider mass producing it.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:04 pm 
You know, not to sound like a greedy money-grubber, but you should have turned monetization on. 1.5 million views? That's around $2000.00.... overnight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm 

insaDane wrote:
I was VERY shocked to get 1 million views in 3 days.

I'm not.

-Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:09 pm 

Doug Roth wrote:
insaDane wrote:

I'm not.
I'm missing something here. 1 million views in 3 days is a CRAZY number. I checked out Oskar's videos and he has 248 videos on You-Tube and the one which has been viewed the most is this one with over 337,000 views. But that has taken a year and a half. Dane Christianson has only uploaded 1 other video and its been there 4 years and has 8,700 plus views. Is the implication that one only needs to post their video on reddit.com to jump into the millions? That doesn't sound logical to me... what am I missing?

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Doug Roth wrote:
insaDane wrote:

I'm not.
I'm missing something here. 1 million views in 3 days is a CRAZY number. I checked out Oskar's videos and he has 248 videos on You-Tube and the one which has been viewed the most is this one with over 337,000 views. But that has taken a year and a half. Dane Christianson has only uploaded 1 other video and its been there 4 years and has 8,700 plus views. Is the implication that one only needs to post their video on reddit.com to jump into the millions? That doesn't sound logical to me... what am I missing?

Carl

The popularity of the post on reddit helped to push it into popularity on youtube. Then it just took off as viral videos do. That isn't to say that everything posted on reddit will get you a ton of youtube views, as it would have to be popular on reddit first. And there's really no rhyme nor reason as to why things there get popular.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 am 

You may find you have some confusion on this board as there have been a few other puzzles that used the XCube name before you (a beautiful curvy hand built by Chino and a mysterious cubical 7x7x7 never heard from again...).

Nice work,

Dave :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 am 

I think you could make it from an extended Crazy Planet 333 Venus?
The outer layers move independantly, but you can mod it like a 335 and cap the other faces.

BTW I think the Youtube comments are hillarious, it's what happens when our world bumps into the real world accidentally :lol: .

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 pm 

BN wrote:
That isn't to say that everything posted on reddit will get you a ton of youtube views, as it would have to be popular on reddit first. And there's really no rhyme nor reason as to why things there get popular.
Ok... but I still don't get it. But I guess I'm looking for rhyme or reason where you say there is none. It seems like a simple enough post on reddit and the puzzle does seem to turn well. And not to take anything way from the puzzle or what Dane has put into it but it makes no sense to me why this would have more views then say Oskar's 17x17x17. I guess if one wants exposure one should also anounce all their videos on reddit.com. Can you imagine of all of Oskar's videos got 1.5 million views in their first week? Someone probably would have given him his own TV show by now. That and he might be making more money from You-Tube ads then from actually selling his puzzles. Very puzzling...
DLitwin wrote:
You may find you have some confusion on this board as there have been a few other puzzles that used the XCube name before you (a beautiful curvy hand built by Chino and a mysterious cubical 7x7x7 never heard from again...).
And I suspect that no where near 1.5 million are even aware of these others. So I'd guess at this stage the name X-Cube is stuck. Though I do wish we'd seen more of that mysterious cubical 7x7x7. I was looking forward to seeing the mechanism used in that one.
Burgo wrote:
BTW I think the Youtube comments are hillarious, it's what happens when our world bumps into the real world accidentally :lol: .
I've only read a handful but I do agree they seem interesting... your analogy of two worlds bumping into each other accidentally seems rather appropriate. It fascinates me how such an innocent short post on reddit appears to have steered the "real world" into ours which usually seems to stay well out of the way. And the "real world" doesn't even appear to be aware they got bumped off onto a tangent. Should we start looking for this video to appear on Tosh.O? Now that would be something... not sure it would be a good thing... but it certainly would be something.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:26 pm 
wwwmwww wrote:
BN wrote:
That isn't to say that everything posted on reddit will get you a ton of youtube views, as it would have to be popular on reddit first. And there's really no rhyme nor reason as to why things there get popular.
Ok... but I still don't get it. But I guess I'm looking for rhyme or reason where you say there is none. It seems like a simple enough post on reddit and the puzzle does seem to turn well. And not to take anything way from the puzzle or what Dane has put into it but it makes no sense to me why this would have more views then say Oskar's 17x17x17. I guess if one wants exposure one should also anounce all their videos on reddit.com. Can you imagine of all of Oskar's videos got 1.5 million views in their first week? Someone probably would have given him his own TV show by now. That and he might be making more money from You-Tube ads then from actually selling his puzzles. Very puzzling...
DLitwin wrote:
And I suspect that no where near 1.5 million are even aware of these others. So I'd guess at this stage the name X-Cube is stuck. Though I do wish we'd seen more of that mysterious cubical 7x7x7. I was looking forward to seeing the mechanism used in that one.

Carl

The reason the video got so many views is because of sharing. Most people in the world have not seen such a puzzle. Most people don't even know there is anything besides a rubiks brand 3x3 so when they see something like that they thinks it's really crazy. All it takes is one person on reddit to be super amazed, share the video on his facebook, somebody from a college that that person is friends with see's it and shares it with a forum in his college that has to do with 3D printing. Then the teacher see's it and is amazed that people are using 3D printing to make things like that and shares it with the faculty email, who in turn send it to others schools, and those people share it on Facebook and it all starts again.

Now that's probably not how it happened, but it might be. All it takes for a video to go viral like that is one person to click share. It's just chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm 

sorry
but this puzzle already patented and massproduced

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm 

Could you give more info as to where one can purchase it and such? :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm 

CrazyBadCuber wrote:
All it takes is one person on reddit to be super amazed... It's just chance.
Can you imagine what might happen then if that person googled 3D printed puzzles and found Oskar's 17x17x17?

I do agree alot of it must be chance and the virus analogy is certainly appropriate. At some point once a certain number has seen it, others simply go to check it out just to see what all the hoopla is about.
grigr wrote:
Do you have a link? Or what is the name of the mass produced version?

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 pm 

BN wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:
Doug Roth wrote:

Carl

The popularity of the post on reddit helped to push it into popularity on youtube. Then it just took off as viral videos do. That isn't to say that everything posted on reddit will get you a ton of youtube views, as it would have to be popular on reddit first. And there's really no rhyme nor reason as to why things there get popular.

Yeah, basically. But the thing is, this wasn't just mildly popular. This is the 83rd most "up-voted" (liked) post of all time in that section of Reddit. And that section has 2,376,719 subscribers.

-Doug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:32 pm 

Doug Roth wrote:
Yeah, basically. But the thing is, this wasn't just mildly popular. This is the 83rd most "up-voted" (liked) post of all time in that section of Reddit. And that section has 2,376,719 subscribers.
I don't doubt that. Nor do I doubt that the video has 1.6 million views. I still just don't understand the "why?" Does the post:

Quote:
I'm really proud of this. I made this puzzle this semester in college using 3D printing. It's called the 'X-Cube'. What do you think? (youtube.com)
Sound to you like you'd expect it to be the 83rd most popular amoung 2,376,719 subscribers? Granted I'm not a Reddit regular but it makes me wonder what a regular post sounds like. Maybe I've been reading Twisty Puzzles too long but this sounds very normal/regular to me. Granted its a nice puzzle and it works well and sure Dane has a right to be proud... so I really don't mean to sound like I'm knocking the puzzle or Dane's accomplishment but I'm personally MORE impressed by his ability to get 1.6 million views then I am by the puzzle.

It almost feel like a case of watching the butterfly effect in action. Somewhere in that post is a flap of a butterfly wing which has caused the hurricane of 1.6 million viewers. I can't see it (and wish I could) but I sure can see the effect of the hurricane. Either way... congrats to Dane on the nice puzzle. And congrats on the number of views which has blown my socks off.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm 

eye2eye wrote:
This is a very cool puzzle.
I agree with the disabled youtube comments idea.
I hope this doesn't sound rude, because I really don't mean for it to, I don't know what mechanism is being used, but is it original enough to apply for a patent?
I would guess it is similar to a 3x3x5 but with more faces extended.
But, maybe you did it in some revolutionary way that needs to be patented, I'll let people with more knowledge answer.

Not rude at all! This is my concern as well. It's very similar to a 3x3x5, essentially what you've described, but with two features changed to make it work a bit better/allow the design to be possible. I'm curious as to what you will find out, please let me know!

CrazyBadCuber wrote:
You know, not to sound like a greedy money-grubber, but you should have turned monetization on. 1.5 million views? That's around $2000.00.... overnight.

I kinda wanted to leave it ad free. I'm not sure how the monetization works-- do they put a commercial on? In addition, I feared the hand of Rubik's trademark infringement coming down. I shouldn't have left their stinkin' sticker on it.

Luke wrote:
Excellent puzzle! I really like the idea.
In regards to patents, I would say not to bother. I don't think there is a way you would be able to justify the cost of it, even if it were manufactured. I would suggest you try and contact manufacturers to see if they like the puzzle enough to consider mass producing it.

I considered this for awhile, and honestly it's a much more appealing option. But a lawyer told me if I approached Hasbro, for example, with no patent, I would have almost no chance of licensing it. I imagine this means if I contacted a manufacturer, they would either like it and take it for themselves, or straight out turn me away. I don't want to rule the option out though. I'm just not sure how to approach this situation with no patent.

grigr wrote:
sorry

This. Can you please give me more information?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 am 

Hi,

Very cool puzzle.
Can you post images showing the puzzle in midturn states?

Would you mind renaming the puzzle?
I do not want to sound rude but there are already two puzzles named "X-Cube" in the museum.

Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:06 am 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
What about the Crossoid or the Plusoid?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 am 

Gus wrote:
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
I like the use of "plus" since layers have been added to a cube and it obviously looks like a + (more than an X in my opinion). The perfect name would be Plus Cube but that has also been used before. So I guess Gus' Plusoid or even Plusminx would be options.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:42 pm 

insaDane wrote:
grigr wrote:
sorry

no more info. please wait

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:38 pm 

Reading this says to me it is in the process of being patented and is going to be mass produced ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:41 pm 

grigr wrote:
insaDane wrote:
grigr wrote:
sorry

Grigr, I know this wouldn't be your intention, but this seems a little strange to me, to announce that a puzzle has already been patented and massproduced and then give no other info on it. If I was Dane, I'd be a little annoyed at this, not to mention intensely curious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 am 

Gus wrote:
Andreas Nortmann wrote:

I wish I consulted the puzzle community first. This is a good point. I was never completely satisfied by the name, but I think it's unfortunately stuck now. 'X-Cube' already caught on in the public realm :\

If the museum wants to document it as a Plusoid or Crossoid that's fine by me. Those are pretty great names. I think 'Crossoid' has a good ring to it (though Tony does have a great point).

From the sounds of it there aren't any obvious obstacles to patenting this puzzle and taking it to market (aside from this other one we haven't seen many details on). Does anyone have some experience bringing a puzzle to life? I think this puzzle would do pretty well, and I'm excited to share it.

I attached an image of the puzzle with each layer mid-turn.

I just wanted to say you guys are great, thank you all for your kindness, support, and input!rt, and input!

Attachments:
2012-12-06 00.56.40.jpg
2012-12-06 00.56.40.jpg [ 2.05 MiB | Viewed 8449 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:35 am 

Gus wrote:
Andreas Nortmann wrote:

Besides those maybe Xoid? It keeps some of the original name.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:51 am 

insaDane wrote:
I was never completely satisfied by the name, but I think it's unfortunately stuck now. 'X-Cube' already caught on in the public realm :\
I reckon you're stuck with it now, you (or we) don't have a choice after that viral video :lol: ! I think even Grigr's friend will want to name it X-Cube after that effort!

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:07 am 

I will name it "X-Cube (Crossoid)".
That is new in the museum.

Thank you for the additional image.

Last edited by Andreas Nortmann on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:07 am 

I'm still not sure why you want to patent it... it will almost certainly not be beneficial in the long run, and the patents for puzzles which probably had more market potential (like V-Cubes) didn't really pay off. It seems like a waste of money to me. I know you're concerned about companies stealing ideas, but if it were mass produced by a KO companies, the Twisty Puzzle community and other puzzle companies (like Meffert's and HK Now Store) would support you and your puzzle.

After writing all of this I've just realized I've been wasting my time, seeing as the puzzle has already been patented and is in the process of being mass produced. I don't think you'll have any shot at it now. But you shouldn't worry about it, people don't design puzzles and expect them to be mass produced straight away. Keep coming up with more ideas and print them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:18 am 

rline wrote:
grigr wrote:

Grigr, I know this wouldn't be your intention, but this seems a little strange to me, to announce that a puzzle has already been patented and massproduced and then give no other info on it. If I was Dane, I'd be a little annoyed at this, not to mention intensely curious.

He clearly wasn't ready to reveal the puzzle yet and only did so because of insaDane's version. Mass producing a puzzle is a complex thing with several stages involved. It's often not wise to go into details until the product is about to be released. At least grigr has told us that insaDane's is not the first which potentially will save insaDane a lot of time and money.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:34 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
He clearly wasn't ready to reveal the puzzle yet and only did so because of insaDane's version. Mass producing a puzzle is a complex thing with several stages involved. It's often not wise to go into details until the product is about to be released. At least grigr has told us that insaDane's is not the first which potentially will save insaDane a lot of time and money.

All right :)
Thank You, Tony!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:24 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
... but there are already two puzzles named "X-Cube" in the museum.
Actually if one goes beyond the museum aren't there already 3 other puzzles out there called the X-Cube. I just remembered a certain blue puzzle I was trying to get at one point until I learned that it was considered a K.O. which I think explains why its not in the museum.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:01 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
rline wrote:
grigr wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, Tony. :)

Actually, (and slightly off-topic) I've been curious for a while... about this:
Quote:
Mass producing a puzzle is a complex thing with several stages involved

Where can I find out more about this process? I have nothing to mass produce ( :lol: ) I'm just really interested in how the 100 or so puzzles I possess ended up in my hands. Sort of a "The Story of Stuff" applied to twisty puzzles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:02 pm 

Luke wrote:
I'm still not sure why you want to patent it... it will almost certainly not be beneficial in the long run, and the patents for puzzles which probably had more market potential (like V-Cubes) didn't really pay off. It seems like a waste of money to me. I know you're concerned about companies stealing ideas, but if it were mass produced by a KO companies, the Twisty Puzzle community and other puzzle companies (like Meffert's and HK Now Store) would support you and your puzzle.

After writing all of this I've just realized I've been wasting my time, seeing as the puzzle has already been patented and is in the process of being mass produced. I don't think you'll have any shot at it now. But you shouldn't worry about it, people don't design puzzles and expect them to be mass produced straight away. Keep coming up with more ideas and print them.

I really don't want to. I feel like they are a waste of resources. The only reason I want one is in the hopes that a company will be willing to license it. Without a patent, there's really no way to approach a big company and get them to pick it up. They will want the protection. But if your experience says otherwise, what would you recommend?

I need to hear more about this other one. The claim has no credibility. For all I know he could just be saying this to slow me down.

Last edited by insaDane on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:09 pm 

I personally highly doubt this. Grigr has had a number of puzzles mass produced, and I certainly don't think he's out to trick you or slow you down. Let's just wait for a short while and I'm sure we'll be hearing updates about the mass produced puzzle.

I also really wouldn't suggest trying to approach a big company. Just because the Rubik's Cube did so well in a mass market does not mean the X-Cube will. I would suggest approaching a smaller company (that is, if the puzzle isn't already in mass production) and see if they will consider producing it. From there, if it becomes popular enough, a larger company mass look at it and consider producing it for the masses. That's what happened with Oskar's Gear Cube, first Meffert's produced it, and then after a while one of the largest global toy companies (I forget which one) picked it up for mass production.

Perhaps you could send Grigr a PM to see if he will be willing to discuss the matter via PM. I am confident that what he says about the patent and mass production is true though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:51 pm 

Grigr, could you please post a patent number or if you don't want it public yet, send it via pm to the moderators. If we can verify this it would be helpful. We don't want credit not going where credit is due.
(I'm not saying I disbelieve you, just want to make sure we get things right.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 pm 

insaDane wrote:
The claim has no credibility.

The credibility comes from grigr being a well known and trusted member of this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:04 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
insaDane wrote:
The claim has no credibility.

The credibility comes from grigr being a well known and trusted member of this forum.

I very much respect grigr's reputation. He produces good work. I would still like to see some evidence to support this claim.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 pm 

Regardless of how believable Grigr's claim was, I can't wait to see what he's cooking up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:37 pm 

Perhaps the popularity on both reddit and youtube come from the name itself, and people connecting or confusing it with X-factor? Curious about some apparent connection with the super popular talent show, they click on the video and find it cool and interesting enough to share anyway... and so it goes viral. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:37 am 

There are some past discussions here for all who are interested in patents,
copyrights, trademarks, what to do, explained opinions based on experience, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18218&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17189&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13811&start=0

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:20 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
There are some past discussions here for all who are interested in patents,
copyrights, trademarks, what to do, explained opinions based on experience, etc.

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopi ... 18&start=0
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopi ... 89&start=0
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopi ... 11&start=0

:)

Pantazis

Fantastic! Once again, a search yields all the info. Thank you, Pantazis!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Perhaps the popularity on both reddit and youtube come from the name itself, and people connecting or confusing it with X-factor? Curious about some apparent connection with the super popular talent show, they click on the video and find it cool and interesting enough to share anyway... and so it goes viral. :D

That's interesting. I will see if it works for my new puzzles- Justin Bieberminx, Siamese Madonnas, Gangnam Cube and Void Rihanna.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:33 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
super popular

Siamese Madonnas

:oops:

-Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am 

I know that was just a joke, but Gangnam Cube seems like a viable chance at appealing to non-twisty community.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Grigr, could you please post a patent number or if you don't want it public yet, send it via pm to the moderators. If we can verify this it would be helpful. We don't want credit not going where credit is due.
(I'm not saying I disbelieve you, just want to make sure we get things right.)

I am surprised at the hype around the X-Cube :) and I see no reason to give evidence ...

ps
Rox, you know very well the rules of the market ... so I was very surprised by your request ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:32 pm 

Then the designer of this cube, the topic starter, is well within his rights then to go for the patent himself? At least.. that is what I deduct if evidence cannot be given. *shrug*?

Sorry for bluntness but as one reading this from a distance and not knowing either party and definitely not going by trust on either one either that is what it reads like. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:47 pm 

I don't see any reason why Grigr needs to give any evidence, as at this stage in mass production details can't really be discussed. If InsaDane wants proof though, he could apply for a patent and see where that gets him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm 

LOL that is what I meant, but you got it better in words :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
Then the designer of this cube, the topic starter, is well within his rights then to go for the patent himself? At least.. that is what I deduct if evidence cannot be given. *shrug*?
That is completely true, but then he seriously risks wasting his time and money if grigr has submitted an earlier application. Meanwhile, grigr is completely within his rights to withhold evidence of filing any patent. To be honest, I don't see this puzzle so special that it will be worth the cost and effort. As I've said above, the huge hit rate on youtube probably came by confusion from the name.