Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:42 am
I've been looking everywhere for the MF8 Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II in black plastic. All I can find is the ice purple version. It sucks that it's gone by the time I'm finally ready to attempt it. If anyone knows where I can find one or is wanting to / willing to sell me one, please let me know! I'm not desperate, but I'm close!

_________________
Call me Seth :)

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns


Last edited by themathkid on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
Good luck! I only got mine recently, from the last set of them at Calvin's site - he said they were the final stock from MF8. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 pm
I'm in the same boat, I've been waiting for one of these to pop up for sale somewhere for a while.

Has anyone tried dyeing a translucent puzzle? I'm thinking of buying one of the (imho horrifically ugly) ice purple ones and going at it with black Rit dye, but before I resort to that I'd like to know if anyone else has done similar things with good results. Specifically, will it actually become opaque if I dye it enough, or will I just end up with a weird purplish-grey translucent puzzle...?

Edit: actually, I just found a post from 3 years ago where bmenrigh said he thought this should work, and later in the same thread someone did this with a clear purple starminx with reasonably nice results (sort of a dark brown slightly translucent color). Hmm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:42 am
Iranon wrote:
Has anyone tried dyeing a translucent puzzle? I'm thinking of buying one of the (imho horrifically ugly) ice purple ones and going at it with black Rit dye, but before I resort to that I'd like to know if anyone else has done similar things with good results. Specifically, will it actually become opaque if I dye it enough, or will I just end up with a weird purplish-grey translucent puzzle...?


One of my non-cubing friends suggested spray paint. Might that work?

_________________
Call me Seth :)

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 pm
themathkid wrote:
Iranon wrote:
Has anyone tried dyeing a translucent puzzle? I'm thinking of buying one of the (imho horrifically ugly) ice purple ones and going at it with black Rit dye, but before I resort to that I'd like to know if anyone else has done similar things with good results. Specifically, will it actually become opaque if I dye it enough, or will I just end up with a weird purplish-grey translucent puzzle...?


One of my non-cubing friends suggested spray paint. Might that work?


Maybe. I've tryed satin black Kylon-ing a white puzzle before with less than stellar results, though. The paint partially scratched off on the internal surfaces where two pieces touch, and the whole thing turned a lot less smoothly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: Crestwood, IL
The ice purple one isn't all that bad. I have one and it turns better than the black. If you just want one to solve than the color shouldn't matter. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hi, we have a couple of black Starminx II's (plus a couple of ice ones) but they're not actually listed in our shop.

We're based in Australia so there would be some postage - sorry!

You can find our email details etc. on the following site:
http://SmarterPuzzles.com

Regards

Warwick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:42 am
wozzarelli wrote:
Hi, we have a couple of black Starminx II's (plus a couple of ice ones) but they're not actually listed in our shop.

We're based in Australia so there would be some postage - sorry!

You can find our email details etc. on the following site:
http://SmarterPuzzles.com

Regards

Warwick.


Wonderful! I just sent an e-mail. Thank you so much!!

_________________
Call me Seth :)

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTB Face-Turning Starminx / Starminx II
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
I've checked our stocks and we've got about 4 black Starminx II's left for USD$42 + shipping. One's already claimed.

And if anyone would like an ice purple one... :mrgreen:

We have other stock left over, let us know if you are looking for anything else.

Warwick.
http://SmarterPuzzles.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group