Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to assemble Tuttminx / Classical Tuttminx / Super Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:41 am 

[WARNING:: Some parts are very fragile, please take cautions. It is better to go through the lines of instructions carefully and drop questions here than start in hasty. Usually the parts counting >= 30 pcs will come with 3 replacements(in the backup bag). If there are not sufficient parts in your package, mail us.]

I just noticed from tracking records that someone has already received the pre-assembled[EDIT: incorrect use of word, here I actually meant 'before assembly, i.e., not assembled'] package. Here are some pictures to explain the assembly, just trying to be neat.

Tuttminx
Attachment:
File comment: tuttminx
tuttminx_orientation.jpg
tuttminx_orientation.jpg [ 74.82 KiB | Viewed 3043 times ]

Classical Tuttminx
Attachment:
File comment: classical tuttminx
classical_tuttminx.jpg
classical_tuttminx.jpg [ 108.35 KiB | Viewed 3043 times ]

corner/edge
Attachment:
File comment: corner assembly
corner explained.jpg
corner explained.jpg [ 25.32 KiB | Viewed 3043 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: edge between pentagon and hexagon
56_edge_explained.jpg
56_edge_explained.jpg [ 16.77 KiB | Viewed 3043 times ]

SUper Star
Attachment:
File comment: super star
supar_star.jpg
supar_star.jpg [ 88.56 KiB | Viewed 3043 times ]

Pictures are mainly explaining rules. If you've got rules in mind, then Tuttminx / Classical Tuttminx / Super Star are just the same.

<CAUTION> Classical Tuttminx and Super Star: ONLY assemble two inner layers of corner/edges(i.e. do not put external caps of edge and corner on too early), then start assembly like a tuttminx.

[EDIT below]
All external caps should be put on after the inner two layers being assembled. That is, first of all, reach this state:

download/file.php?id=27831&t=1

Then, center caps on(covering 32 screws) -> edge caps on(60+30 pieces, use rubber hammer or equivalent) -> corner caps on(60, hand press).

Disordered procedures will usually fail.
[EDIT above]

Finally put all external caps on. In this step, you'll need a hammer wrapped up by cloth to knock every EDGE piece tight. The corner cap of classical tuttminx, however, should be installed by hand rather than hammer. If it were too tight, then the whole tuttminx will be tight.

Screw setting
Tuttminx: down to the limit, back a half circle(not easily jumbling setting);
Classical Tuttminx: down to the limit, back 1 full circle(our standard setting);
Super Star: up to your feel.
'Down to the limit' means center cap and core are in contact with SLIGHT pressure but absolutely no gap.

The only thing left is an optimistic procedure to put them together, here's it: http://www.verypuzzle.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

Leave your questions here or mail to verypuzzle<AT>gmail.com.

leslie

Last edited by Leslie Le on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to assemble Tuttminx / Classical Tuttminx / Super St
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm 

Leslie - I'm still waiting for mine, but - i think you misunderstand the word pre-assembled.

That means that the puzzle is assembled by you, before shipping :)

pre means before, essentially

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:53 pm 

This was my understanding of the word "pre-assembled", too.

Now, after Leslie's post, I think that the word can mean "partially assembled".
Otherwise Leslie would have written something like "assembled, but not stickered".

I'm still waiting for my Super Star. I hope it will not be too hard to assemble :roll:

EDIT:
andand wrote:
The center pieces were mounted on the core. The rest were sorted into bags and there was also a bag with some spare parts.
In my opinion, there is not much difference between "DIY" and Leslie's definition of pre-assembled :wink:
"Pre-assembly" seems to be the easy part, in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 am 

Uh....! That's !! I intended to express 'before assembly' rather than 'assembled in prior'.

Anyway, anyway, i was not trying to cheat.

Maybe the last thing i can say is: I listed the content of package there and the price may tell some difference...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:44 am 

Uh oh! Looks like this'll be more of a challenge than expected!

Ah well, I do love the odd 3D-assembly puzzle... :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 am 

Thank you for your explaination Leslie.
Despite the vocabulary of Leslie, I have understood that I will have to assemble it myself... because of the price (to low to be true)...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:53 am 

I have to add moreover that i have assembled my tuttminx because i did not realised that hexagonal face must be turn 180° and I totally blocked my puzzle.
Assembling is quite easy to understand and to do. Don't be afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:55 pm 

Just to be clear - I'm not upset about the misunderstanding, assembling puzzles isnt really a chore for me, I'm well aware that i got a real bargain here :D

I just felt you should realise your translation error, to avoid any problems in the future for you :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 pm 

The assembling wasn't that hard and the stickering didn't take too long either. And now it's scrambled also. Guess how happy I will be when I get a scrambled tuttminx in my christmas gift.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:52 pm 

I'm really looking forward to assembling my classical tuttminx. Even if I had bought one already assembled I likely would have taken it apart anyway. Seeing how these complex puzzles work is a lot of fun for me. Plus a little diff oil is always a good thing in a new puzzle in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:11 am 

On a classical tuttminx, shall we put external cap (to cover the screws) first or at the end ? It seems it is not easy to do when the puzzle is assembled ?? :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:25 am 

@alacoume: Congrats on receiving your package. All external caps should be put on after the inner two layers being assembled. That is, first of all, reach this state:

download/file.php?id=27831&t=1

Then, center caps on(covering 32 screws) -> edge caps on(60+30 pieces, use rubber hammer or equivalent) -> corner caps on(60, hand press).

Disordered procedures will usually fail.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:32 am 

Ok Leslie - Thank you for your answer. I have understood the process now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:32 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Leslie Le wrote:
That is, first of all, reach this state:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/download ... =27831&t=1

OK! I have assembled all the small parts and paired off any extra flashing that was left from the manufacturing.

Does anyone have any ideas how to assemble it into the form in that picture? All the centres are very loose and rotate freely. Tightening doesn't seem to make any difference.
Every time I start to assemble the inners shells, I struggle to hold them in place and after about 10 or 12 pieces they all go skating about over the surface of the ball core and drop out the bottom! It looks like a very fun bagatelle as they wiggle from top to bottom of the core around the centres but for the life of me I cannot assemble it without pieces falling out!

Any ideas? It would be appreciated! I don't even think an extra pair of hands would be enough! My wife watched for one moment and laughed at me so she won't help!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:38 pm 

kevin, i had a lot of problems with this too, i'm stickering mine as we speak :)

one thing i hope you've already noticed, that i didnt spot for the first hour - you have to have the hexagons rotated to the correct postion, there is a difference.

after that the way i had to do this, most convoluted, was to get the first edges that go between hexagone, around the first pentagon, if that makes sense, and hold those in place with tape, that holds the pieces that are actually part of the pentagon in place, and you can then stand the tuttminx on this pentagonal face on the table. i then had to sit on the floor, with the tuttminx on the table to assemble the lower half, because any time i tried to pick it up, pieces would disengage themselves. once at the halfway point, its pretty easy, took me about 3 hours to get to there...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 am 

I have received my Tuttminx this morning. It arrived in great shape. Thanks, Leslie Le! Assembling it looks like quite a challenge - more fun! :D

I noticed that two opposite centers aren't mounted/screwed in yet. The instructions posted in the VeryPuzzle site don't mention when these centers should be fitted in. I assume the bottom one should be assembled first, and the top one would be assembled after the last pieces are fitted, right?

[EDIT] Ok, it took me just over 45 minutes to assemble this, with the help of some sticky tape to keep the first centers together. 8-) The instructions were very easy to follow, and the picture Leslie put in this thread made the process much clearer.
Problem is that the last triangular pieces I had left won't keep together. No matter how I mount them, after a few seconds they pop apart. I'm inclined to superglue these piecelets, but I'm afraid they need to be free to move in order for the puzzle to turn properly. I wonder if the gap between the pieces may hinder the movement.

Attachments:
File comment: Notice the gap between the piecelets
IMG_4446a.jpg
IMG_4446a.jpg [ 114.41 KiB | Viewed 2418 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:56 am 

Hi puzzlemad,

Mine was very loose too at this stage. I did not touch the screws because there were as Leslie said (tight minus one turn). After outting the caps, when the puzzle is finished, all will be ok. Turning will be great.
It is possible to tighten a bit, but not too much, otherwise, your puzzle will be too tight.
One more thing, knock woth a hammer (wood if you have it) all edges caps because there need to be as tight as possible.