Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Collecting Efficiently
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:15 pm 

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days on how to collect efficiently. What that means is collecting puzzles based on different solving experiences and not breaking the bank. An example would be a super 5x5, it solve like a regular 5x5, solve like a super and regular 3x3. Therefore, for one purchase you gain 4 solves. Yes, technically every puzzle is solved with commutators so I guess it also includes perspective in a puzzle.
Because I only have 10 twisty puzzles, I had to do some research and I have come up with a list and I want to see if you all agree or can improve on this list. I did not use shapeways products or hand made twisty puzzles because I did not want feelings to get hurt over me using puzzle A over puzzle B. Also there are no bandaged puzzles because that simply requires imagination and duck tape lol. As for super stickers, if the puzzle came with super stickers then yes and they all had to be mass produced.

1.) Super 4x4 & 5x5: As stated above, it solve like a regular 5x5, solve like a super and regular 3x3, and of course 5x5's can't solve like 4x4's you need a super 4x4.
2.) Circle 4x4 I & III: Version III can solve like version II if you ignore the circle corner pieces and also can solve like a Circle 3x3.
3.) Circle 3x3x(4 & 5): the 3x3x5 in proportional cubies so that the cubies slide over the stickers. A 3x3x2 can be mocked with the 3x3x4 and anything in higher order is trivial.
4.) 3x4x5 & 4x4x6: one is a brick and the other is a shapeshifter and you can simplify down to easier cuboids.
5.) 4x4x4 Mixup Cube: You are able to reduce it down to a 3x3x3, 4x4x3, and 3x3x4.
6.) Helicopter Cube: Jumbles, and is slightly harder than the curvy copter since the edges act as sort of a map on the curvy copter.
7.) Master Skewb: Can be solved like a regular skewb
8.) Professor Pyraminx: the master should not have any additional challenges the professor has and depending how you think, it's reduces to a pyraminx or a jing's pyraminx.
9.) Square-2: Can be solved like a square-1
10.) Bauhinia dodecahedron: harder than a dino and rex cube but can be reduced to both.

Post subject: Re: Collecting Efficiently
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:45 pm 

I have a couple of thoughts.

doesnotcommute wrote:
1.) Super 4x4 & 5x5: As stated above, it solve like a regular 5x5, solve like a super and regular 3x3, and of course 5x5's can't solve like 4x4's you need a super 4x4.
A 6x6x6 can simulate a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and 5x5x5. I'm not sure if super stickers are available for one or not but if they are they'd make the 6x6x6 even more versatile.

doesnotcommute wrote:
2.) Circle 4x4 I & III: Version III can solve like version II if you ignore the circle corner pieces and also can solve like a Circle 3x3.
The Crazy III is a superset of the crazy I so you only need the III.
doesnotcommute wrote:
It would be hard to use a Square-2 to simulate a Square-1.

doesnotcommute wrote:
10.) Bauhinia dodecahedron: harder than a dino and rex cube but can be reduced to both.
You can't reduce it to either. The Dino Dodecahedron offers very little more than the Rex Dodecahedron so skip it but you can't get the Rex Cube experience on the Rex Dodecahedron.

I'd add the Dayan Gem (probably II and III) to the list as well as a Megaminx.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
doesnotcommute wrote:
A 6x6x6 can simulate a 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and 5x5x5. I'm not sure if super stickers are available for one or not but if they are they'd make the 6x6x6 even more versatile.

They are, and I have one.
Attachment:
photo-5.JPG
photo-5.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 1311 times ]

doesnotcommute wrote:
5.) 4x4x4 Mixup Cube: You are able to reduce it down to a 3x3x3, 4x4x3, and 3x3x4.

No such thing.

-Doug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 pm 

6x6x6 is great. It can also simulate 2x2x1, 2x2x3, 3x3x1, 3x3x2, and so on .....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:11 pm 

Haha as I said, probably not the best person for this post :).

bmenrigh wrote:
doesnotcommute wrote:
It would be hard to use a Square-2 to simulate a Square-1.

you could simply ignore the now sliced corners as a move correct?

bmenrigh wrote:
I'd add the Dayan Gem (probably II and III) to the list as well as a Megaminx.

I feel like adding a megaminx is a bit overkill since the solve is like a 3x3, but I guess if you use Roux method then yes. That being said, I suppose the Master Kilominx should be in the ranks as well?

Doug Roth wrote:
doesnotcommute wrote:

No such thing.

Wow, that was meant to be 4x4x4 mixup plus lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 pm 

doesnotcommute wrote:
6.) Helicopter Cube: Jumbles, and is slightly harder than the curvy copter since the edges act as sort of a map on the curvy copter.

While this is sort of the case, the Curvy copter has an additional parity in which two edges may be switched.

-d