Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Esper Cubes" Concept by Carl Fisk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:25 pm 

Hello Twistypuzzles; I have a new idea for you today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... g_0WXYebyE

Imagine a pair of cubes, linked via wireless that mimic'd each other's moves! I really appreciate any input or help on this one.

Post subject: Re: "Esper Cubes" Concept by Carl Fisk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:34 pm 

If you drop the wireless bit: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21183

It would be a good start if somebody first built a cube that has all the necessary motors and electronics inside to move on its own (a self-solving cube would be a great accomplishment all by itself. I think linking them up using a wireless link would not be too hard after that. There are WiFi modules for Arduino out there.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 pm 

Reminds me of quantum entanglement. You should change the name to Entanglement Cubes!

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 pm 

TomZ wrote:
If you drop the wireless bit: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21183

It would be a good start if somebody first built a cube that has all the necessary motors and electronics inside to move on its own (a self-solving cube would be a great accomplishment all by itself. I think linking them up using a wireless link would not be too hard after that. There are WiFi modules for Arduino out there.

I should have added that yes, part of my inspiration came for that. Many kudos to Mr. vanDeventer as always! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTd-TRngAlY
I also had this in mind.

That would cool/hilarious if a cube was just writhing around on a table all by itself. I do like that idea though of just starting off with a single cube.

themathkid wrote:
Reminds me of quantum entanglement. You should change the name to Entanglement Cubes!

I like that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 am 

That would be very cool :)
I also think someone should make a mechanical version of Rubik's Slide first, and it would be easy to go from there. You could pair up any number of cubes together or with a common interface I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:07 am 

I had a similar idea to this but one of the corners has contacts on it and the stand plugs in so you so sit it down on the stand and it scrambles and solves itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:25 am 

I had thought about that plug-on-corner thing, (for connection/charging) but because the corner pieces are a floating entity (Not solidly/mechanically fastened to the core) I'm not sure how you would work around electrically being in contact with the core at all times.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 pm 

An easy-ish way to get a prototype of this working would be for someone with programming knowledge, plus the ability to solder, to break open an E-Cube or one of the Rubik's Touch Cubes, and install a 2-way transmitter into two of them. After that it's all 1's and 0's so to speak...

Why does he always have the funny quotes? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm 

TomZ wrote:
...It would be a good start if somebody first built a cube that has all the necessary motors and electronics inside to move on its own...
Using the Dumbbell Cube mechanism, you could have both your cubes on a pedestal and the motors outside the cube where there is much more space. And how about connecting them through the internet for some transatlantic team speed-cubing!

Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:20 pm 

Oskar wrote:
TomZ wrote:
...It would be a good start if somebody first built a cube that has all the necessary motors and electronics inside to move on its own...
Using the Dumbbell Cube mechanism, you could have both your cubes on a pedestal and the motors outside the cube where there is much more space. And how about connecting them through the internet for some transatlantic team speed-cubing!

Oskar

That would also be a wonderful possibility, then the cubes could be the correct size. How fast is the Dumbbell cube mech? Could a version with more play possibly be made for speedcubing?