Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Election Day
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:39 pm 

I don't normally post this, but I am this year. If you are old enough, get out there and go VOTE tomorrow!

I dropped my ballot at Fed-ex last week which is way out of the way for me (two train changes, a mini-bus ride and about three blocks walk) so you can get to those polling stations.

And in a similar vein, I've got big plans for election day. After a laser thing in the morning, I plan to do nothing more than sit and watch the polling stations roll in! Working from home PJ day tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: Election Day
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:14 pm 

Speaking of the US election, about the only positive thing that I can think that comes from the extreme over-coverage of it over the last several months is all of the extra attention it draws to statistical methods, prediction markets, and simulations.

Fuzzy and pseudo-scientific terms like "momentum" that pundants love to use are losing credibility in the face of quality writing about statistical methods.

I'm looking forward to a triumphant victory for mathematics and polling data proving once again most pundants are biased quacks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:22 pm 

I was in Boston exactly 12 months ago and I remember even then the TV channels talked about nothing but the Republican leadership race. It hasn't stopped for an entire year, no wonder presidents are criticised for getting nothing accomplished, because it seems they spend their 4 year term campaigning for the next election.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 am 

So, the two candidates spent $2 billion on their campaigns, so they can run a country which is about $16 trillion in debt :lol: Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:42 am 

Except once the President gets into office he'll be too busy preparing his campaign for the next election to do anything useful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:52 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Except once the President gets into office he'll be too busy preparing his campaign for the next election to do anything useful.
Unless Obama wins of course!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:48 am 

Gus wrote:
I was trying to avoid indicating any personal preference for a particular candidate, to avoid starting one of those nasty and pointless political debates on this forum...

So let's just hope that *whoever* wins will focus and deliver on the job of saving the economy and avoiding a much more devastating financial crash with hyperinflation. (although I can't see how it can be avoided with the growing debt crisis, unemployment levels, and the amount of "free" money the fed has had to print which has not yet reached the wider economy). Ultimately that's what matters, not who wins the election (except of course their ability to deliver on the above).

Anyway, for those who will be voting, keep the above in mind. And for those who can vote but won't be voting, don't blame anyone but yourself when the whole economy goes "tits up". So get out there and vote - wisely - because we're all counting on you! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:05 am 

I find it fascinating how as soon as politicians are mentioned the criticisms quickly follow. It's kind of like everyone saying tomatoes are too small. If they are all that size then that is probably the only way they can be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:09 am 

I vote. In HK and the US. go out of my way every election to make sure I do. Today I had a conversation with a fellow countryman at work and his excuse for not voting was having to register at the embassy in advance. Ok, I get that if he just moved here, but this is the second presidential he's been here for.

An hour later he was overheard on the phone complaining about having to pay state taxes on his property back home that he's not using and trying to work out how to avoid capital gains in the US. When he came over to ask me what I do to avoid it my answer was.....

I VOTE

No political views please, for once I agree with Kelvin :lol: but no excuses either. GO VOTE!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:20 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Gus wrote:
I was trying to avoid indicating any personal preference for a particular candidate, to avoid starting one of those nasty and pointless political debates on this forum...

I think his point was - he won't be focussed on the next election, becasue he will be in his second and last term as president :D

As for voting, I'm no in america, but i always vote when i can. We are lucky that we live in democracies, and have this right. Ancestors of ours have fought (and died) for us to have that rigth, and it is a waste to not use it.

I also feel that people that don't vote shouldn't complain about the government - if yuou ahve the chance to choose your government, don't take it, then you have no right to complain about it IMHO

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 am 

martywolfman wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
Gus wrote:
I think his point was - he won't be focussed on the next election, becasue he will be in his second and last term as president :D
Exactly! Even when no political bias is made or intended, someone always finds some :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 am 

Point taken, thanks Gus, I misunderstood and stand corrected. :oops:

It's just too darned easy to mis-interpret a language. I wish it was possible to read people's minds. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:57 am 

katsmom wrote:
I don't normally post this, but I am this year. If you are old enough, get out there and go VOTE tomorrow!

Well guess what... I'm an overseas american citizen considering I live in France, so I got to vote a month ago :D

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:00 am 

KelvinS wrote:
It's just too darned easy to mis-interpret a language. I wish it was possible to read people's minds. :(
For some people, it would be very short read :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:47 am 

not going to vote. i have no interest in political things. there is no real reason as to why i should vote. one way or another the same people who run the government will still run the government, be it with the same or a new face. i am content with life over here and know i will never return to the states. not even for a visit. i still have a very bad taste in my mouth from the gulf war.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:48 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I find it fascinating how as soon as politicians are mentioned the criticisms quickly follow. It's kind of like everyone saying tomatoes are too small. If they are all that size then that is probably the only way they can be.

Well, not quite, there have been some big tomotoes in the past, and in any case taste counts more than size. We just need to learn how to identify the sweet ones before we put them in our mouths. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 am 

Squircifer wrote:
not going to vote. i have no interest in political things... i am content with life over here and know i will never return to the states. not even for a visit. i still have a very bad taste in my mouth from the gulf war.

Well, if you vote you may be able to avoid another gulf/world war, or a global financial meltdown that will certainly affect you. Remember, there is no place to hide from the global economy, everything is interconnected. I wish I could vote for US President. What a waste!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am 

Very disturbing... People having to wait seven hours in line to exercise their right to vote! :shock:
http://boingboing.net/2012/11/06/voter- ... ing-t.html

Even more disturbing (assuming of course that the video is not doctored)... :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpGd74DrBM&hd=1

UPDATE: According to MSNBC, this machine has been taken out of service.
http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/11/06/machine- ... or-romney/

Last edited by Skarabajo on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 pm 

Squircifer wrote:
not going to vote. i have no interest in political things. there is no real reason as to why i should vote.

Squircifer wrote:
i still have a very bad taste in my mouth from the gulf war.

As Kelvin says that is surely a strong reason.
One tiny political thing to add. Remember there are times in politics when there are two options. One is bad and the other is very bad. So the best you can ever achieve in these situations is a bad outcome. I had never thought of this until recently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:16 pm 

Just thought I'd add that there are other political parties in the US to consider voting for besides Dems on Reps despite the media ignoring them.

On a much funnier note, I think this comic strip sums up politicans quite nicely:

-d

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 pm 

Sweet!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 pm 

Skarabajo wrote:
Very disturbing... People having to wait seven hours in line to exercise their right to vote! :shock:
Just for some balance this isn't everywhere, and I consider it inexcusable for the local authorities not to have more polling places to handle the very predictable turnout.

I voted this morning and stood in line behind just one person. At 9:00am my ballot was #72, so clearly in my county there were plenty of polling places and no one was waiting much at all.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Skarabajo wrote:
Just for some balance this isn't everywhere, and I consider it inexcusable for the local authorities not to have more polling places to handle the very predictable turnout.

I voted this morning and stood in line behind just one person. At 9:00am my ballot was #72, so clearly in my county there were plenty of polling places and no one was waiting much at all.

Dave

Same here Dave. I had to walk less than 300 feet to a polling place and there was no line. Some of the seemingly intentional barriers some states and counties have put up in an attempt to discourage some of the electorate is really shocking and very disappointing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 am 

Congratulations with your new... eh old president! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 am 

One has to wonder, since most Presidents get the full 2 terms of 8 years anyway, why spend all this time, effort and money to hold elections every four years? I mean, how much can any President really achieve in four years anyway? Doesn't it just promote too much focus on quick popular short-term gains at the expense of fundamental long-term solutions? So why not hold elelctions every 8 years, or at least every 6 years?

Also, I think the US voting system is nonsense, because it votes in a President who is blocked from making any progress by the house of representatives, whose composition does not represent either the electoral vote nor the popular vote, so they end up blocking everything that the majority of people have already voted for just to make the President look ineffective so they can win the next election. How crazy is that, or have I missed something here??? I mean, why should the minority have veto rights over the majority vote in a democratic society?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 am 

My take on Politicians: if they thought that democracy worked, they would ban it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 am 

Regardless who get elected again, the people that run the show remain the same throughout the entire game. Just a different face for a few years. The Joe on the street matters very little in the grand scheme of things. This have been my observation in my years in America and out of it. When I did vote I always voted for the fringe fellow that was either weird or crazy or communist. Mainly because there was no real difference between the two big evils. Corperations and hedge funds and the banker families run the government. Not the people.

From some of the actions in the past, I think if America wants to go to war, it will find/make reasons to go. It does not need the people or permission.

I know you're trying to make a point, but please be careful

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:53 am 

DLitwin wrote:
At 9:00am my ballot was #72, so clearly in my county there were plenty of polling places and no one was waiting much at all.

My ballot was #125, which I liked, because the 5x5x5 cube is one of my favorite puzzles. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 am 

Great article, would be interested to hear your thoughts:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/opinion/k ... ma-victory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:49 am 

KelvinS wrote:

We're in an era of partisan gridlock. No president is going to be able to transform the country. It's not just that neither side can't agree on the issues, neither side can even agree on what the issues are.

For example the conservative side has a big focus on banning / limiting abortion and the non-conservative side doesn't even see this as an issue up for debate (it was "solved" 40 years ago). Many other issues are like this where one side's issue isn't even open for debate as far as the other side is concerned.

This isn't a surprise though. With the winner-take-all electoral college system, the only stable outcome when sides sides aren't cooperating is for a two-party system with about 50% of the electorate each.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium

If one sides starts to gain an advantage, the other sides adjusts the issues and talking points in order to capture back electorate.

It would require the US to switch to a more European system with proportional representation and coalition governments. This will never happen. It would require the existing government to essentially collapse and a whole new one to be formed. The amount of turmoil that would create is beyond what I can imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40 pm 

Kelvin, I assume you mean presidential elections, because there are elections every year.
I think it should be a single 6 year term. That would stop the first term from being a campaign for the second term.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm 

It's not perfect, but it's a far cry better than some have. I was chatting with a good friend from China and she basically told me she would give her first born to be able to vote. We have something, as imperfect as it is, that over a billion people don't have....

My final word on the elections.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
KelvinS wrote:

We're in an era of partisan gridlock. No president is going to be able to transform the country. It's not just that neither side can't agree on the issues, neither side can even agree on what the issues are.

For example the conservative side has a big focus on banning / limiting abortion and the non-conservative side doesn't even see this as an issue up for debate (it was "solved" 40 years ago). Many other issues are like this where one side's issue isn't even open for debate as far as the other side is concerned.

This isn't a surprise though. With the winner-take-all electoral college system, the only stable outcome when sides sides aren't cooperating is for a two-party system with about 50% of the electorate each.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium

If one sides starts to gain an advantage, the other sides adjusts the issues and talking points in order to capture back electorate.

It would require the US to switch to a more European system with proportional representation and coalition governments. This will never happen. It would require the existing government to essentially collapse and a whole new one to be formed. The amount of turmoil that would create is beyond what I can imagine.

Let's see if a Nash equilibrium/stalemate will result in America falling off the "fiscal cliff" into a deep depression. There is something very wrong with a system that would allow the entire country to go down the tube because the voting minority can over-rule the majority. I suspect that both parties are playing the "let's work together" card on the basis that neither intend to compromise and can then blame the other party for not playing ball. The biggest problem is that the minority are in a stronger position because they can say the government is responsible for any problems in order to strengthen their own position. This is quite ridiculous, undemocratic, and very scary!