Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thanks MF8
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:00 pm 

With the criticism of mf8 in some threads recently (among which my name was one of them :wink: ), I thought back to a U2 song with the words "...so quick to criticise...".

The other night I was going through my puzzle list and trying to note down "brands" of the puzzles I own, and I found a high number of them are mf8. When I got my rubik's cube around 2 1/2 years ago, I honestly had no inkling at all that there were any other puzzles than the rubik's cube. The concept of twisty puzzles was foreign to me. And yet here I am now with around 100 puzzles, which is lots more than some, but ridiculously less than others :lol:

So, sincerely, thanks to Mr mf8 and the mf8 company (and all the other designers and producers of puzzles out there), who have enriched my life and given me a genuine hobby (and caused the rolling of my wife's eyes on numerous occasions as she looks upon my fascination with pity...)

Here are some of the puzzles which mf8 have put out in the last few years. (Hope I've got these right)

2x3x4
3x3x3 crazy planet series (fantastic group of puzzles)
3x4x5
4x4x4 crazy I, II, III and IV
crazy megaminx series
crazy tetrahedron series
gigaminx
teraminx
petaminx(!)
helicopter dodecahedron
master kilominx
face turning starminx

And still to come...

5x6x7
eitan's star
crazy octahedron (series?)
pentultimate(?)
rex dodecahedron

What have I missed? :)

Post subject: Re: Thanks MF8
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:03 am 

The MF8 giga-, tera- and petaminxes are wonderful. I also have the Starminx I and the Face Turning Starminx (AKA Starminx II), the Helicopter Dodecahedron, some of the Crazy 3x3 series, the Crazy 4x4 III, the 2x3x4 and 3x4x5. I'd be hard pressed to chose a favourite among these; I enjoy them all. I'm looking forward to every one of the puzzles on your "still to come" list. I agree that MF8 makes good puzzles and I value their contribution to this hobby/lifestyle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
It is quite interesting to go through your puzzles like this!

It would appear that MF8 are responsible for at least half of my favourite puzzles - so I will join the throng and say that I will set aside the 2x3x4 problem and say "Thanks very much" - please keep the stream of great toys coming!!

Also it is good to see Witeden continuing to produce new toys - both companies seem to aim for different sections of the puzzling vista and complement each other well - we are in a golden age!

My friends look at me (age 45!!!) with various twisty type puzzles and think I'm crazy but look at the sheer quality and variety that we have available - it has kept me going for months and months! Cheaper than a menoPorsche and I think it's more fun!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:43 am 

You all are forgetting the great exchange puzzle Mf8 helped me make! :lol: :lol:

Not quite Mf8 alone either. You might add the puzzles he's made with Da Yan, Smaz, and Calvin as well.

Isn't it so much better to be positive than negative? Thanks for posting this. It's human nature to think of the bad. So easy to do. Much much harder to find the good in things. I think we should do this more often.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:08 am 

I totaly approve that mf8 is doing a great job, as many other brand. But the only thing I have to say is that there is a couple of their puzzles, that could had been improve, with out to much problem, and they didn't...

Last edited by Drake on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 am 

I want to say too, that the 2x3x4 Nightmare Cube is not my favorite.
But other products from mf8 are superb, most of my favorites are from mf8. Gigaminx !!!

I plan on buying more minxes from mf8, and the conversion kit for the 234 as soon as it comes out.
This thread speaks my opinion better than I could do that myself, english not being my mother tongue.

Thank you Mr. MF8 for countless hours of fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:19 am 

We do know mf8 produce great puzzles. Yeah I admit that sometimes I'm disappointed by some puzzles, but that's not happening frequently. Overall I like mf8 very much.

By the way anyone know the meaning of "mf8"? Actually "mf8" is a short term of "MoFangBa". In chinese the word "ba" is pronouncing like "8". But what's actually does "MoFangBa" means? Translation, it means "Rubik's Cube forum", or even "Twistypuzzles forum". Yeah. The word"MoFang" got so many meaning in Chinese.

You got it right. At first the former of mf8, Let's call him "Mr mf8". He is a puzzle lover. He want to group people who like puzzle in China together, so everyone may have conversation & communication in different provinces of China. That's why in 2004 he create a web forum called "MoFangBa". This forum is the well-known mf8 forum. http://bbs.mf8-china.com

I'm not remember which year actually. Should be in 2007, Mr mf8 tried to produce puzzle himself. The first one should be a Square one puzzle, while the second one is a megaminx. from then on up to now, Many puzzles are produced by him under the name of "mf8". They all have good qualities & are designed by a puzzle lover-designer. May be somehow there're similarities with some former casted puzzle by TPers. But trust me, Mr mf8 designed most of the mf8 puzzles by himself without copying others.

That's the story of "mf8". Worth for making a hollywood movies? :D

For the future products mentioned......Would I tell you about......Bermuda Megaminx? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:45 am 

What about the 3x4x5 and the 2x2 core 4x4?
And doesn't MF8 produce all of Dayan's products? (3x3's, Magic Octahedron, Bermuda, etc)

-Doug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:24 pm 

This is a good thread and I want to join it with saying: Thank you Mr. mf8 for many great puzzles. :)

People who remember my posts know that I usually defend the puzzle designers rather than I would complainin about problems.
I was probably lucky in many cases, e.g. in the case of the 3x4x5 and the Petaminx. (I agree with Roxanne that it was probably more a problem of the packaging.)

In the case of the 2x3x4 I did not blame mf8 for making the decision, he has made.
I still hope that somebody who has a good communication to mf8 can persuade mf8 to give an explanation, why he says that his puzzle defines the true fully functional 2x3x4 (which means that Tony Fisher has made something different). In my opinion, the "repaired" 2x3x4 is a GREAT little puzzle!

But this is not the day of criticism, it is the day of saying Thank you! :D :D :D