Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
Why do you have to keep Parma Violets candy all to yourself? I wish you would share them with us.

Sincerely, someone in the USA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
Dear someone in the USA,

"Why do you have to keep Parma Violets candy all to yourself?" I do not understand this word "candy", but regardless we keep them to ourselves because we can. We're a selfish lot really.

"I wish you would share them with us." I wish Cadbury chocolate was still British and not owned by Kraft Foods, but "I wish doesn't get".

Sincerely, them selfish folk (with lots of Parma Violets) from across the pond.

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am
Location: In Front Of My Teraminx (saying WTF?)
Luke, ponds are 5 acres maximum, so stop calling the atlantic a POND considering it's 2.6292*10^10 acres !!!!! :lol:

_________________
My Shapeways Shop!
My Designs
My Official Results
My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
Hey Luke, when I get enough money to order a Hexoid, can I order some Violets to go with it? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
I'll trade you Parma Violets for Lucky Charms! :lol:

_________________
Q: How many puzzles does a collector need in their collection?
A: Just one more.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Jared wrote:
Why do you have to keep Parma Violets candy all to yourself? I wish you would share them with us.

I'll swap you some for a Taco Bell Burrito with fire sauce, some Popeyes chicken with Cajun fries and Jessica Alba.

BTW there's plenty available here

I have always thought it would be good to have some kind of exchange system (just a thread perhaps) on this forum. After all there's a huge range of nationalities and from my experience the honesty and trustworthy levels are extremely high.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:52 am
What about you USA people keeping wonka gobestoppers, wonka nerds and starbursts to yourselves?!
That would be so much worse.
On the other hand, I have German chocolate. :roll:

_________________
Life is simple.
eat. sleep. train. repeat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:33 am
Location: Belgium
alaskajoe wrote:
On the other hand, I have German chocolate. :roll:


I have Belgian chocolate ! 8-)

_________________
Lucie

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
alaskajoe wrote:
What about you USA people keeping wonka gobestoppers, wonka nerds and starbursts to yourselves?!
That would be so much worse.
On the other hand, I have German chocolate. :roll:


Ooh, Nerds. That's something I haven't had in a long time...

Edit: Oh, and Tony, yeah, eBay has them. I actually ordered a bag of Swizzels mix a couple weeks ago, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. The shipping was so high...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2000 2:51 am
Location: New Ulm, Minnesota, USA
mixer wrote:
alaskajoe wrote:
On the other hand, I have German chocolate. :roll:


I have Belgian chocolate ! 8-)


I love American chocolate! No offense guys.

_________________
Darren & Traiphum's Dual Helicoptrahedron
X-TownCuber wrote:
Are my eyes deceiving me, or is this the coolest puzzle ever?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Polkagrisar and Ahlgrens Bilar.
'nuff said.

_________________
{[ On My Way To Enter The Community]}
-Fredrik


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2000 3:17 pm
Location: Hong Kong
I need curry katsup, meed and TWINKIES!

I have rice and really greasy potato chips to offer up.... :lol:

_________________
Rox's Rambling Blog
Katsmom's Puzzling Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Anyone for Swiss chocolate or cheese fondue? I'd gladly swap for a good lamb madras or vindaloo: the curries here in Switzerland are made with 8 molar sodium chloride instead of spice (bland and salty). :(

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
My exchange would be Dutch licorice ('drop').

Only I believe it's not much appreciated outside NL. Foreign guests mostly don't dare taking it, although it's made basically from potatoes.

picture link

_________________
Maybe I'm amazed... Mfave's puzzle shop | Burgh Lock trick-lock, Splinter's amazing Shapeways shop, my E-book, maze overview page (Dutch)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm
Licorice seems to be an aquired taste. I have been accused of poisoning a friend of mine, as i handed her a piece of the salty licorice i was eating. Most people seem to prefer sweet licorice over the salty kind, but i love it all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:52 am
And why don't we really have the flavor "winter green" anywhere in europe?
On the other hand everytime I do get to have some mint or gum with that taste I am strongly reminded in my exchange year. So it's something special in a good way kind of.

_________________
Life is simple.
eat. sleep. train. repeat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
alaskajoe wrote:
And why don't we really have the flavor "winter green" anywhere in europe?


Seriously?! I feel for you bro :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: California
Tony Fisher wrote:
I have always thought it would be good to have some kind of exchange system (just a thread perhaps) on this forum. After all there's a huge range of nationalities and from my experience the honesty and trustworthy levels are extremely high.


I would also be interested in this. I am particularly interested in obtaining codes from iTunes gift cards from Britain, and Australia. There are things available from those iTunes stores, that are not available to me from the US iTunes store. I've tried to set up a second account, but it won't let me pay with my debit card, because it was issued in the US, and iTunes says that it is not valid in Britain or Australia.... :x

From the British iTunes store, I am interested in your show 'Green Wing'. And from Australia, if there is anything from The Chaser, or your show Sea Patrol. If someone would like to see if it is possible to gift an item via iTunes, between iTunes stores, let me know and we can test it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Near wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
I have always thought it would be good to have some kind of exchange system (just a thread perhaps) on this forum. After all there's a huge range of nationalities and from my experience the honesty and trustworthy levels are extremely high.


I would also be interested in this. I am particularly interested in obtaining codes from iTunes gift cards from Britain, and Australia. There are things available from those iTunes stores, that are not available to me from the US iTunes store. I've tried to set up a second account, but it won't let me pay with my debit card, because it was issued in the US, and iTunes says that it is not valid in Britain or Australia.... :x

From the British iTunes store, I am interested in your show 'Green Wing'. And from Australia, if there is anything from The Chaser, or your show Sea Patrol. If someone would like to see if it is possible to gift an item via iTunes, between iTunes stores, let me know and we can test it out.

My post mentions exchanges but I guess it's unlikely you would pair up exact requests. So I guess I should have added that it might be a case of simply paying for the items and person's expenses.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Tony, that system sounds great - we could call it eBay. :lol:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
KelvinS wrote:
Tony, that system sounds great - we could call it eBay. :lol:

It's the exact opposite to ebay unless you mean the wanted section.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Tony Fisher wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
Tony, that system sounds great - we could call it eBay. :lol:

It's the exact opposite to ebay unless you mean the wanted section.

They do have a wanted section, it's called a search function. :wink:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
KelvinS wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
Tony, that system sounds great - we could call it eBay. :lol:

It's the exact opposite to ebay unless you mean the wanted section.

They do have a wanted section, it's called a search function. :wink:

I believe your logic is flawed.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dear Britain
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Tony Fisher wrote:
I believe your logic is flawed.

Me too. Actually I do see your point: I wonder why eBay doesn't offer a complementary system where prospective buyers advertise what they want to buy, and then competing sellers bid for the lowest price...

Perhaps because no two items are exactly the same so it wouldn't work, whereas money is money. Pitty though.

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group