Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Solving the Mixup Plus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:45 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
:D :D :D
Well guys I have managed to solve the 3x3 and 4x4 Mixup plus cubes and have to say that I really enjoyed them.

I actually managed all of it myself except for the flipping of the inner edge pieces - I had to use Andrea's technique for that! The rest all came using logic and known techniques. On the 3x3 I can avoid needing the single edge flip at the end by being careful during the reconstitution of the cube. The parity issue took me ages to fathom but I got there in the end!

The 4x4 frightened me to death! I wasn't intending a scramble but whilst showing it to a friend I scrambled it too much to get it back and ended up with a huge mess! The return to cube shape was a real challenge and very enjoyable. It only has normal 4x4 parities which I did not expect but thank heaven for!!! It took me nearly 12 hours to work it out but the shout of joy when I did it woke my wife up! The 4x4 is definitely my favourite just for the huge challenge of sorting out such a blocked up cube!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 3x3x4 and 4x4x3? Are they worth adding to the collection? Do they add anything or am I better moving on to something new?
Thanks for your opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:57 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
Well guys I have managed to solve the 3x3 and 4x4 Mixup plus cubes and have to say that I really enjoyed them.
Congratulations, Kevin! They are not easy, but a fun challenge. I learned a lot about "parity" from the 3x3 Mixup Plus.

Puzzlemad wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the 3x3x4 and 4x4x3? Are they worth adding to the collection? Do they add anything or am I better moving on to something new?
I'm also intrigued by them and have been seriously considering the purchase. I believe the presence of the 4x4 pieces will add blocking to the non-cubic scramble. It will also add some 4x4 edge pairing, but not as much as a the 4x4 Mixup Plus. The centres in the 4x4 layer are split, but only in two. It will be interesting to have a mix of 3x3 and 4x4 edges and inner edge pieces in the scrambled cube as it will perturb the pairing step to some degree. All of these features will add steps and change the order of the solve, but I don't see any new techniques, unless some strange new parity case is lurking in these puzzles! The 4x4 pieces should make it trivial to fix last-layer edge parities, so it will eliminate the need for a "test solve" after the restore to cubic (at least in my solution) which I did find tedious at one point, but now enjoy :mrgreen: . Have I convinced you to get them yet ;)? They weren't in my puzzle budget this summer, as the giant gravity well known as the Petaminx pulled all of my available puzzle funds into it's event horizon. Now I am waiting to see what Calvin will charge for his new SQ 1 and DLitwin SQ 2 puzzles and if there is anything left (and if MF8 kindly refrains from introducing Eitan's Star DeFTI in August), I will buy at least one more of the 3x3x4 or 4x4x3 Mixup Plus series.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:32 am 

My 4x4x4 mixup plus arrived only today, so I haven't been able to comment yet. I've just solved it for the first time. I'd probably agree with some others who said it was good but tedious. I'd go as far as to say that returning it to cube shape really annoyed me. I also found it difficult to really scramble it well because after a few E turns, it was often the case that I could only turn both E layers rather than just one. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else.

I'm quite interested whether anyone has bought the 3x3x4 or 4x4x3 and what they think of it, whether it provides new challenges etc.

Is anyone else still mucking around with any of these mixups?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 am 

rline wrote:
I'm quite interested whether anyone has bought the 3x3x4 or 4x4x3 and what they think of it, whether it provides new challenges etc.

I have ordered both of them and will make a report :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:02 pm 

Pete the Geek wrote:
rline wrote:

I have ordered both of them and will make a report :mrgreen: .

Ah, so curiosity got the better of you then? :lol:

I hope you're right about your suspicion of the extra pieces providing some sort of blocking. That would at least make for a different kind of challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:33 am 

Here's my solution. (Korean)
http://cafeptthumb1.phinf.naver.net/201 ... ?type=w740

http://cafeptthumb3.phinf.naver.net/201 ... ?type=w740

http://cafeptthumb4.phinf.naver.net/201 ... ?type=w740

http://cafeptthumb2.phinf.naver.net/201 ... ?type=w740

http://cafeptthumb3.phinf.naver.net/201 ... ?type=w740

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:50 pm 

Well this is the Mixup Plus thread and I have a new set of Mixup Plus puzzles :mrgreen:
Attachment:
Mixup Plus 3x3x4 and 4x4x3 family_sm.png
Mixup Plus 3x3x4 and 4x4x3 family_sm.png [ 183.37 KiB | Viewed 5380 times ]

I can only look at the 3x3x4 tonight (the one on the left), but I can say unequivocally that it offers several new solving challenges. Restoring from non-cubic to cubic form is about the same, but then things get interesting. VERY interesting. I won't spoil it, but it has exceeded my expectations. I'm so glad I took a chance and got these Mixup Plus variants.

As a bonus, I see that I can make BOTH Wormhole Cube variants (Wormhole II and Wormhole III) from combinations of the Wormhole I and the Mixup 3x3 (original) and Mixup 3x3x4.

We can talk about solutions here, but please let's use SPOILER tags and white text to keep the surprise for a little while. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 am 

Quote:
I can only look at the 3x3x4 tonight (the one on the left), but I can say unequivocally that it offers several new solving challenges. Restoring from non-cubic to cubic form is about the same, but then things get interesting. VERY interesting.

Oh man, this is not good. I was half hoping you'd tell us there was really nothing new with them. But now I have to seriously consider buying these ones as well. :)

On a different note, one of my students was telling me about the 43 quintillion states of the rubik's cube and how any state could be returned to solved in 20 moves. (I don't remember whether they're correct; it's just what he had read) and he then asked me whether I knew the numbers for the 3x3x3 or 4x4x4 mixup cubes. I don't. Does anyone out there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 am 

rline wrote:
Oh man, this is not good. I was half hoping you'd tell us there was really nothing new with them. But now I have to seriously consider buying these ones as well. :)

:D :D :lol: :lol:
No! This is good news!
After your mammoth crazy pentahedron stint I really thought you'd burnt yourself out and would leave the twisty world! :shock:
So this really means you are stilly completely hooked and will carry on providing great service to the "twisty crazies" with your website and appearances here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 pm 

OK, I just solved my 4x4x3 Mixup Plus and it is now my FAVOURITE of the series :shock: . I thought it would be easier than the 3x3x4 but happily, I was wrong :mrgreen: ! I think the 4x4x3 is the best challenge of the bunch. It has two types of centres (as does the 3x3x4) but these are split and quad variants. What I enjoy about the 4x4x3 (and really the whole Mixup Plus series) is that the solving challenge plays out in a series of manageable obstacles. The 4x4x3 has plenty of them, but a bit of playing will reveal the solution. No need for complex algorithms or a lot of memorization.

Here is one reason why the 4x4x3 is especially fun:
[SPOILER]
After the puzzle is back to cubic form and all of the inner edge pieces are flattened, you are left with the most beautiful mixed up mess of 3x3 inner edges, 4x4 inner edges, 3x3 (solid) edges and 4x4 (split) edges. To pair those 4x4 edges, you have to get the 4x4 layers to turn... and so the fun begins :mrgreen: .

[/SPOILER]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:11 am 

Pete the Geek wrote:
OK, I just solved my 4x4x3 Mixup Plus and it is now my FAVOURITE of the series :shock: . I thought it would be easier than the 3x3x4 but happily, I was wrong :mrgreen: ! I think the 4x4x3 is the best challenge of the bunch.

:cry: :cry:
Damn! Pete! I wish you hadn't said that! Now I'm going to have to buy another bunch of puzzles! I was hoping to rest my bank account a bit (who am I kidding? :lol: ) I always buy a bunch at a time to justify the CO2 emissions used by the airmail!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:15 pm 

@Pete: Can you still aply the 4x4x4 parity algorythm or do you have to perform the 3x3x3 mixup cube algorythm for the 3x3x4 and the 4x4x3 ? Ok I think 4x4x4 should be working, right ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 pm 

5hinigami wrote:
@Pete: Can you still aply the 4x4x4 parity algorythm or do you have to perform the 3x3x3 mixup cube algorythm for the 3x3x4 and the 4x4x3 ? Ok I think 4x4x4 should be working, right ?
On the 3x3x4 I got both the flipped edge and the swapped edge parities and the 3x3 Mixup Plus algorithms worked. The only 4x4 algorithm that works is the swapped edge that you get during edge pairing, but that algorithm works fine.

On the 4x4x3 I only got the flipped edge parity, so I'm not sure if the swapped edge appears. If it does, the standard 4x4 swapped edge algorithm works (I checked).

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:44 pm 

On a trip up north (with no Internet), I finally had a chance to work on the 3x3x4 quite a bit and I am very impressed by how much more this variation adds to the Mixup Plus series. The "4x4" is on the E-layer. It adds an interesting and non-trivial complexity to the solve. In particular:

[SPOILER]
The single "4x4" layer makes pairing the inner edge pieces with the edges very challenging. Later in the solve, the single "4x4" layer also makes pairing the composite edges (e.g. the 4x4 edge pairing) tricky. On a regular 4x4 the edge paring uses new edges from the top of the cube, but on the 3x3x4, the only "4x4" edges you have are in the E-layer.
[/SPOILER]

On the other hand, the 3x3x4 does have a unique property that offers an alternative way to solve the last-layer swapped edge parity issue.
[SPOILER]
The last-layer swapped edge parity can be handled with a pair of cuboid algorithms that are much less destructive than the E-layer algorithm for the 3x3 Mixup Plus. You can apply the standard "edge swap" alg to the U layer to fix the swapped edges. This causes a swapped-edge parity in the E-layer, but because the E-layer is the 4x4-layer this can be cleanly fixed with the standard cuboid edge swap alg for even-order faces.
[/SPOILER]

My solution sequence for this puzzle is quite different than the 3x3 Mixup Plus. It also has a few extra steps and one step omitted.

I think that scrambling the 3x3x4 is almost a puzzle in it's own right! To get a good scramble of the 4x4 E-layer requires U and D-layer wing turns that include one of the thin E-layers (alternatively 'u' and 'd' slice turns), combined with R2 turns. There must also be a few (more than 2) E- R2 E+ sequences mixed in with the thin E-layer turns. If you don't do this before the rest of the puzzle is scrambled, then restoring the 4x4 E-layer will be trivial and you will miss out on a lot of 3x3x4 fun. A bit more detail:
[SPOILER]
For the trivial case, when pairing the E-layer inner edges, there will be a matching edge pair for every inner edge pair. For example, if there is a blue-orange edge pair, there will be a corresponding blue-orange inner edge pair. This is repeated for all eight edge/inner edge pairs. As a result, you will be able to pair up all of the inner edges with edges without even restoring the E-layer so that the two thin 4x4 layers can turn independently. A good scramble will only have a few matching pairs and you won't be able to get them all matched without first restoring the E-layer so that the 4x4 layers can turn.
[/SPOILER]

So now I'm going to say that a well-scrambled 3x3x4 is about an equal challenge to a 4x4x3 :mrgreen: .

My solve times for the 3x3x4 range from 19-22 minutes, the longer times reflect both both last-layer parities (flipped edge and swapped edge). Time to restore the 3x3x4 from scrambled to fully cubic (including all inner edge pieces flattened) is around 4.5 minutes.

ETA: My solve times for a well-scrambled 4x4x3 are ~35 minutes. Like the 3x3x4, the 4x4x3 also requires quite a bit of effort to thoroughly scramble the 4x4 pieces. There are still some efficiencies to be found in the 4x4 portions of the solve, so I can see this time dropping to around 40 minutes with more experience.

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:02 am 

@Pete: if you could only get one of the two puzzles, which would you choose and why?

I have an ever increasing list of puzzles to buy and need to make some rational choices! :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:23 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
@Pete: if you could only get one of the two puzzles, which would you choose and why?
The 3x3x4 takes me about 20 minutes, while the 4x4x3 takes about 50 minutes. The main time-consuming part of the 4x4x3 is pairing up all of the 4x4 inner edge pieces while working with the split centres. For this reason, I give a very slight edge to the 3x3x4. The 3x3x4 offers interesting variety, there are no tedious sections, and it doesn't take too long.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

Hi Pete,

I tried them out by exchanging out the pieces on my 333 & 444. A little piece of masking tape across the 1/4 centres allowed me to restrict them to 1/2 centres. There's no reason you can't just leave them as 1/4 centres though; it's not that much `more or less difficult` with 1/4 or 1/2 centres IMHO.

Spoiler:[I reduced the split pieces first (shape>whole 444 edges>centres>whole 333 edges) and then just solved the 333mixup (but 444 parity fixes are useable).]

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm 

Hi Burgo! I was surprised at how many of my edge pairing techniques rotated the split centres. I quickly learned to do things just a bit differently and now it is not so much of an issue.

I more-or-less follow your sequence, though I'm still working out when to do the various steps. My time for the 4x4x3 is down to about 35 minutes for a leisurely solve.

I looked at making the variants from the 3x3 and 4x4 Mixup Plus, so I'm glad you tried it out. When I get a bit more time (i.e. when my online course is over in mid-September) I am going to try out all the Wormhole Cube variants using parts from the Mixup Cubes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:47 am 

Pete the Geek wrote:
I am going to try out all the Wormhole Cube variants using parts from the Mixup Cubes.
The Wormhole combinations shouldn't pose many difficulties that we haven't seen. The known parity algos should pass right over the 334. I've been thinking of building them soon too, just for a bit of fun.

What I've really been waiting for is this from Mike:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23992&p=284960
And some of these from Witeden:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24034
I really like the `Mixup` concept too. I'm waiting for Luke's Novaminx to be available on Shapeways to make my next order.. and that order will include a few other puzzles I've been waiting for :) .

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 am 

I just solved the 4x4 for the first time, and I quite enjoyed this puzzle :D
A bit more of a challenge to restore the cube shape, as the edges kept bandaging the inner layers as i tried to turn them, so it is definitely a slower solve than the 3x3 version.
The only algorithm i used apart from the normal 3x3 solve at the end was Burgo's algorithm for flattening the inner edges, everything else was intuitive assembly of edges really. I've had this puzzle for some weeks now, but it took me a while to build up the courage to scramble it - in the end it felt a bit easier than the 3x3 since there was no parity at the end. Still satisfied to have solved it :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 am 

Hi Pete,

Pete the Geek wrote:
As a bonus, I see that I can make BOTH Wormhole Cube variants (Wormhole II and Wormhole III) from combinations of the Wormhole I and the Mixup 3x3 (original) and Mixup 3x3x4.

Are you sure ?
Perhaps the functionality is different in this case.

There are two additional pieces.
Perhaps I decide to add The Wormhole III to my next order.
See
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23513&hilit=wormhole
The 6th picture

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:10 am 

Hi Mixup Plussers,

Today I solved the Wormhole 2! I had made all the other variants, but hadn’t tried the Wormhole variants yet. Let’s say that I underestimated this little puzzle. It hadn’t dawned on me the extent of the blocking created with 8 of the 12 edges being bandaged. Pretty much everything that I had been doing comfortably on the Mixup Plus series was now difficult.

I’m not sure if I liked the solve because it’s got a real frustrating and visual difficulty factor (shuffling around outer edge slices to locate inner wormhole edges for example). But it was definitely a challenge. The puzzle suffers from pops, and I got ½ way through the solve twice before I noticed that it was the outer edges actually coming apart that was causing the problem, so after a bit of superglue there were no more pops, although be careful with the Outer Wormhole edges, you really don’t want a pop during this solve!

Has anybody else tried it yet? This is what the solve went like (highlight spoiler):

[ 1. Place outer wormhole edges in RC edge positions: making edge 3cycles available.. Sune is now a handy sequence along with EPS. For most (but not all) of the solve it's handy to generally locate the Wormhole Edges in U & D.

2. Build the rest of the cubic shape (except for Mixup inner edges). Exchange E slice pieces with U layer edges using simple RC exchanges and E+ Twists. Orientate E slice Mixup edges with E+ R and replace displaced centres with U R U’ R’ etc. Relocate the split edges where needed.

3. Place white & yellow centres in the correct positions: Use E+ R2 E- twists. If you have the Wormhole edges all located on U & D an M twist will allow you to complete this.

4. Then place the E layer centres with the same method.

5. Solve external RC enough to check for Mixup Parity (don’t bother with a single RC edge flipped at this stage, only check for 2 RC edges switched). Parity fix: Exchange out E slice centres and edges.. I did this with 4 direct swaps, any edge for any centre.. Place centre in U layer, E slice turn, exchange with an edge. Keep your eye on the first centre you place and use it to keep your bearings.

6. Restore flipped Mixup inner-edges to the cubic shape: In the E slice, take out a Mixup edge and exchange it with a centre (both having incorrectly flipped Mixup inner-edges associated with them). Make Mixup inner-edge exchanges and return them.

What you are trying to achieve is a situation where (with the edge and centre swapped in the E slice) 4 Mixup inner edges are incorrectly flipped. Then: relocate the Mixup inner edges onto the Mixup edge & centre to make their `correct shape` (have the Mixup edge and centre separated). Then exchange the completed Mixup edge for the completed Mixup centre.

Take care not to become confused and accidentally exchange the positions of ALL E slice edges/centres or you may create Mixup Edge Parity.

7. Restore E slice centres with E+ R2 E- twists and do a quick edges only RC solve to check for a single RC edge flipped. Flip the edge with E+ (R U R U’) x5.

8. 3cycle Mixup inner-edges to reduce Whole Mixup edges. LB>FL>FR: E- L2 E+ L2 E+ F2 E-

9. Solve hidden edges & centres + outer corners (Fuse Cube): Use M,S & E slice twists to locate and view the hidden edges. Placing an outer Wormhole edge `over` the hidden edge you are permuting will allow you to see it as you permute it. All slice twists are irrelevant to this part of the solve.

10. Edges last method for RC to solve Reduced Mixup edges + Outer Wormhole edges + Outer centres.
]

Method updated
Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
Wormhole 2.jpg
Wormhole 2.jpg [ 2.17 MiB | Viewed 4802 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:19 pm 

Hi again Mixuppers,

Today I solved the Wormhole 3, there are certain aspects that are easier and harder than the Wormhole 2, similar to how the 444 mixup plus is easier and harder than the Standard Mixup Plus. The harder bits are mainly due to it having more pieces.

This puzzle even more inclined to pop and needs careful twisting, especially in E slice twists when you’re putting finger pressure on a wormhole edge. It's not a major problem if you're aware of it and careful.

The solve is in a highlight spoiler:
[ 1. Wormhole edges in RC positions, U & D Centres placed.

2. E layer Centres: shape.

3. E layer Mixup inner edges: shape.

4. Reduce E layer 444 Mixup edges (pair Mixup inner edges with RC edges).

5. Solve 444 centres (colour and position).. whether they are bandaged or not bandaged, there’s not much difference, unbandaged is a bit harder now but easier later with no orientation.

6. Pair 444 reduced edges to make whole RC edges.

7. Quick RC edges only F2L solve, enough to check for `single flipped edge parity`. Parity fix= E+ R U’ R’ F’ U2 F E- (take a centre out and flip it).

8. Fuse cube solve.

9. E layer Centre orientation for bandaged centres: I used combinations of 2 different U layer edge 3cycles (fuse corner in DBL): RU’ RU RU RU’ R’U’ R2 orientates R Centre, Sune y Sune Mirror y’ doesn’t orientate centres. E slices to exchange centres.

10. 2 edge parity fix= 444 / Tower 2 edge swap, Fuse corner in any position.
]

EDIT: More information here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26635
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopi ... =8&t=26377

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
Wormhole 3.jpg
Wormhole 3.jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 4720 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 am 

Hi you crazy mixed-up guys and gals.

I have worked out a solution to my Copter 3x3x3 so am feeling brainy!
(Oh and I wrote a simulator in Maya to help find algorithms)

So why can I not get this?

I worked through parity and centre swaps etc and enjoyed the puzzle itself, but am stumped with this situation.
It looks like two swaps - centres and inner edges- are bound up together so it would need two pure algorithms perhaps?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 am 

Hi oxymoronicuber,

You have mixup parity: You need to exchange out the centres with the edges in one slice layer. The reason is because you have a direct swap of important elements remaining after all other important elements are placed. (The inner edges are not important to determining this).

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:05 am 

Hi Burgo,
I shall try and back-track a little then. I only solved the rest of the cube so that only my problem remained and it was easy for you to see!
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:27 pm 

Hi friends,

today my Mixup Plus 4x4x4 arrived ( and 4 other puzzles).
I solved the MP 4x4x4 with this steps:

Only techniques from Mixup Plus 3x3x3 and Rubik's Cube 4x4x4 are needed. No new sequences.

1) make the cube shape.
Last step of this are the extended centers. One situation is difficult:
Two extended centers are swapped !

2) Pair outer edges with extended centers. Similar to 4x4x4 cube.
I parked the complete edges on right and left and use the middle layers to work.

3) Group the paired edges to 3x3x3 egdes.
4) Pair centers. I use commutators like solving the 4x4x4 centers last.
Example r f' r'f U f' r f r' (3 cycle)
5) make the color scheme with centers ( r+ l- U2 l+ r- ) and repair extended center groups. ( sequences from MP 3x3x3).

6) solve it as Rubik's Cube 3x3x3.
7) if necessary flip one grouped edge. ( Make f- b+ and flip f/t r/t edges then b- f+)
8) check parity. If parity, solve it with 4x4x4 parity sequence. Useful for all big cubes:
(Rr)2 (Ff)2 U2 r2 U2 (Ff)2 (Rr)2

This puzzle is interesting but not too hard.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 am 

Hi friends,

The hardest part with the Mixup Plus 4x4x4 is exchanging only 2 extended centers.
I cannot solve it. I solved this situation with try and error.

Does someone know a sequence ?

Attachment:
mixup444.JPG
mixup444.JPG [ 2.95 MiB | Viewed 3690 times ]

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:14 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi friends,

The hardest part with the Mixup Plus 4x4x4 is exchanging only 2 extended centers.
I cannot solve it. I solved this situation with try and error.

Does someone know a sequence ?

Cheers,
Andrea

Hi Andrea. I cover this case in my video, starting at 17:03 as "Inner Edges Parity Case". Put ONE of the extended centres on UB and put the other one on D (anywhere). Do the sequence that flattens two sets of extended centres (inner edge pieces):

Flip inner edge pieces on UB and FR: E+ (M+ F2 M- B M+ F2 M- B') E-

This will cause one pair of extended centres to be raised along with one single extended centre. Join the single extended centre with the one you put on the bottom earlier. Now you have two pairs of extended centres, and you can flatten them as usual with the above sequence, one pair on UB and the other pair on FR.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:18 pm 

Hi Pete,

thank you for your help.

Fantastic idea to to flip 2 pairs of extended centers and align it. I adapted this idea to my sequences. So it's possible to make a complete reduction to a 3x3x3 Mixup Plus.
It works fine.

Cheers,
Andrea