Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle Around the World Project
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:03 pm 

Dear TwistyPuzzles forum members,

It is with a lot of excitement that we're finally able to announce a project that has been in planning for a long time! Several months ago myself and a few other forum members were chatting in the IRC channel about fun community building projects we could do and the Puzzle Around the World Project was born.

How it works:
We will be sending a large Pentultimate around the world to other forum members to allow them to play with the puzzle, gather signatures for collector sticker sets, post pictures here, and tell the rest of the community about themselves. Eric Vergo graciously offered to design the puzzle and it has been built to survive minor mishaps. I had had a custom re-shippable box designed to hold the puzzle and the sticker sets too:

ImageImage
ImageImage

There are 23 participants that will receive the puzzle. Each person will be able to keep the puzzle for about 10 days. We really wish we could let everyone participate in the project but due to the logistics and cost and time involved with shipping a puzzle we decided it was necessary to limit the scope. Members were selected based on a diverse set of criteria. We tried to strike a balance between designers, solvers, collectors, and other community contributers. Unfortunately there were many more folks we wanted to invite that we had slots for.

Community Building:
This forum has fostered a great community and we hope this project has a chance to bring folks together in a unique way. It will take about 1 year for the puzzle to travel around the world. As each participant receives the puzzle they will have the opportunity to take pictures of it where they live (for example in front of a landmark) and post them here in this thread. They can tell us about where they live and what draws them to twisty puzzles. There are 23 sets of Pentultimate stickers that will travel with the Pentultimate. Each person will sign them and at the end of the project each participant will be given a set of signed stickers.

Timeline:
Shipping will be erratic but we have attempted to make estimates for when and where the puzzle will be on its journey:

United States: Today
  • Berkeley, Nan Ma [schuma]
  • CA Bay Area, Dave [DLitwin]
  • Vancouver WA, Landon [GuiltyBystander]
Canada: Early October 2012
  • Mississauga Ontario, Sandy [Sandy]
United States: Mid October 2012
  • Amherst NY, Dan [DKwan]
  • Rochester NY, Eric [gingervergo]
  • Ridgefield CT, Ben [benf207]
  • Weston MA, Will [will_57]
  • Swampscott MA, Dave [David Pitcher]
United Kingdom: Late December 2012
  • Langness Chichester, Luke [Luke]
  • Brighton, Julian [julian]
Norway: Later January 2013
  • Sandnes Rogaland, Katja [KatjaH]
Denmark: Mid February 2013
  • Valby, Sigurd [Sigurd]
Netherlands: Early March 2013
  • Nieuwegein, Tom [TomZ]
Germany: Mid March 2013
  • Koblenz, Andreas [Andreas Nortmann]
  • Bruckmuehl, Konrad [Konrad]
  • Cologne, Claus [clauswe]
France: Late April 2013
  • Sevenans, Greg [RubixFreakGreg]
Russia: Mid May 2013
  • Cheboksary, Evgeniy [grigr]
Hong Kong: Late May 2013
  • Causeway Bay, Fan Yuk [excalvin]
Australia: Mid June 2013
  • NSW Central Coast, [Burgo]
United States: Late June 2013
  • Arizona, Carl [wwwmwww]

Media:
I have made a few videos for the project and I will update this section with links to the posts participants make when they receive the puzzle.

Project Media:

Participant Media:

We are extremely excited about this project owe a great deal of thanks to our participants for their willingness to spend their time and money to help this project along!

Sincerely,

Brandon Enright on behalf of the PAW project team:

Brandon Enright (bmenrigh)
Ben Freed (benf207)
Katja HĂĄheim (katja)
Daniel Kwan (dkwan)
Eric Vergo (gingervergo)

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Puzzle Around the World project announcment
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 pm 

I am honered to be on that list!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

Last edited by Sigurd on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:46 pm 

For anyone interested, we came up with the idea for this project back in January. The idea came from 'Wings Across America' which has been sending and flying a model airplane all around the country for over 4 years now. Anyhow, Brandon has put a ton of work into this project and deserves tons of credit for putting in a great deal of his time and completely funding the project.

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:50 pm 

It's great to see this finally revealed! Is there any chance that we'll get to see the full list of participants?

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:04 pm 

will_57 wrote:
It's great to see this finally revealed! Is there any chance that we'll get to see the full list of participants?
I decided to withhold a full list of names because some participants have expressed privacy concerns. Also, some participants plan on moving or being on vacation around the time they are slated to receive the puzzle so some adaptation to the route and the folks that are able to participate will be necessary.

Folks will be able to define their own level of participation based on what they choose to post in this thread. As posts are made I will include their name or forum username and a link to their post in the original announcement post. This way if somebody withdraws from the project or is unable to participate, the public won't be wondering why they never posted in the thread. By the end of the project a full list of the participants that posted here will be available in my original post.

I think this is the only way to satisfy a diverse list of requests and concerns I received from participants.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:37 pm 

So this is a public project with secret participants? Forgive me for saying this, but I don't get it. :o
Because of that, I still can't figure out how to interpret the project.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:47 pm 

Bearing in mind that most participants will probably reveal themselves, I wouldn't worry about that. The plan is to keep a constant update on where the puzzle is in the world and what it's up to, and so in that sense it is a community project.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:54 pm 

Nice project :mrgreen: Whe've got an idea like this for a geocache but we didn't continue it...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:06 pm 

That's a beautiful puzzle and an interesting project. I hope some of the participants will be able to bring the puzzle to public puzzle gatherings so more enthusiasts can see it. Does it have to be shipped to the next participant in the solved state? :mrgreen:

Of course the participants will want the puzzle, but will this "special edition" be available for collectors/enthusiasts?

ETA: Thanks to Brandon for kindly answering all of my questions in a post below.

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:06 pm 

Nice idea, sounds like fun.

Participants should post pictures of the puzzle next to local/national monuments to show its travels, like the garden gnome in Amelie:

Maybe they could also be ghostwriters to help the puzzle to write its own diary or video blog!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:43 pm 

Pete the Geek wrote:
That's a beautiful puzzle and an interesting project. I hope some of the participants will be able to bring the puzzle to public puzzle gatherings so more enthusiasts can see it.
Yeah I hope it gives each participant a good excuse to meet up with any nearby puzzlers. Of course it will all depend on the timing and the area each person lives.

Pete the Geek wrote:
Does it have to be shipped to the next participant in the solved state? :mrgreen:
Nope! Everybody should feel free to scramble and try to solve the puzzle without the fear of being unable to solve it before they have to ship it. If somebody wants a picture of the solved puzzle they will have to solve it :D

Pete the Geek wrote:
Of course the participants will want the puzzle, but will this "special edition" be available for collectors/enthusiasts?
There are a few issues here. Let me state them which will make my answer more clear.

First, this project is not about making money. We debated at length how to put on a project like this ethically and without taking advantage of participants. For example, if we sent a puzzle around the world to collect signatures, that puzzle becomes an instant valuable collectors item. Our solution to that is that everyone gets a signed set of stickers and the option to buy the puzzle for the print cost so no participant is unfairly benefiting at a cost to others.

Second, the puzzle is relatively expensive to print because it was designed to be heavy and durable so it could survive the wear and tear of this project. The pieces are very thick, they have support bars in them to resist crushing, and the model has duplicates of every piece. This also caused print problems. We think that the thick pieces and the internal posts expanded after printing because the pieces had large bumps in surface of them and when assembled, it was barely turnable.

Third, the puzzle has the possibility of selling like hotcakes, to the detriment of TomZ's Pentultimate sales.

All of the PAW project "board" discussed this with Eric during the planning stages and he agreed to sell the puzzle markup free. If we make the puzzle only available to participants then they could turn around and sell the puzzle for a substantial profit. If we make a less durable version with no duplicate pieces available then we'd impact TomZ's sales.

So with all of that calculus in mind, the only right thing to do is to offer prints of the exact model at no profit to anyone (except Shapeways). The print cost is currently $195.11 and if Shapeways lowers their price, we'll lower the price. I'm not ready to accept orders though because I'm not sure if all prints are going to have the same flaws that the first did. I have ordered a few more prints to test but I haven't received them yet.

Keep in mind TomZ sells a 30mm Pentultimate for $130.

If you still really want a 40mm Pentultimate, PM me and I will add you to a list. Based on the results of a few more printings I will have more information about what you're getting and then you can make a more informed decision. Nobody wants to spend $200 on something that isn't going to function without a ton of manual work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:22 am 

...and so it begins!

This evening Brandon, Nan and I met to kick things off, here are some pictures:
Brandon with the PAW
Brandon makes the first handoff to Nan (I'll get it next week...)
Dave, Brandon and Nan (my son Daniel takes his very first picture!)
Nan gives it a try...
The Pentultimate up close.

I have to say I am very impressed with the thought and care that went into this puzzle, the packaging and planning for the project. I look forward to my turn next week,

Dave

Post subject: Re: Puzzle Around the World Project
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:46 am 

It's always hard to start with a blank page and get something cool started so I'm glad Dave broke the ice for me :D

I've had the PAW project Pentultimate for several months now but today I finally had the opportunity to get it started on its journey.

As you all know by now, my name is Brandon Enright. I'm 28 and I live in California's San Francisco Bay area where I work as an information security engineer. When I'm not working nearly all of my time is spent on my Twisty Puzzle hobby / obsession. I really like the community we have here on the forum and in the IRC channel. Even when we're discussing something non-twisty like free will people come at the discussion with a lot of reason and vigor. I program, solve, think about, and build twisty puzzles. I think the only area I don't focus on is design. I'd like to but there are a few hurdles that I don't have a good idea for how to overcome.

It's really nice that so many others interested in twisty puzzles live in the same area. On my way to meeting Dave an Nan I swung by the Golden Gate Bridge to take a few photos:

I was so busy focusing on getting everything ready for the project that I didn't get around to signing the stickers until tonight:
ImageImage

My handwriting and signature are a disaster but hey, we're not making art here :lol:

It's really bittersweet to see the puzzle go but I can't wait for other people to get to play with it and post about it here!

Sincerely,

Brandon

California, 2012-08-18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:54 am 

First stop: Nan Ma, Berkeley, California, USA
Check-in: Aug 18, 2012 (PDT)

Today I got the puzzle from Brandon. I feel so lucky that my place is the first stop of the puzzle. I just scrambled the puzzle. It turns really well. Somehow it feels like my Skewb Ultimate. Well, they are both deep cut dodecahedra. But considering the complexity of Pentultimate compared with Skewb Ultimate, I have to say Eric and Brandon did a fantastic job designing and tumbling it.

I'll try to solve it tomorrow, and take some pictures with it.

A little bit about myself:

I'm an avid solver. I've spent years solving all kinds of puzzles, including all the Gelatinbrain's virtual puzzles, hypercubes from 4D up to 7D, the huge 4D puzzle called magic 120-cell, and some things in hyperbolic spaces. I also simulate a couple of puzzles, including the Twisty Star and the magic 11-cell.

I'm attaching the puzzle in the scrambled state. More pictures to come tomorrow.

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 266.96 KiB | Viewed 12786 times ]

Last edited by schuma on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 am 

Shouldn't participants also add the place and date below their signature? Then the puzzle itself would tell the story of how it travelled the world - a nice touch to bring back memories in years to come (when we all have Alzheimer's), for those who get to keep one... :wink:

And you'll need to decide between US date format (MM/DD/YY) and European date format (DD/MM/YY) as standard, to avoid confusion. Just one of the potential pitfalls of such a truly global project. Details, people, don't forget the details! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:43 am 

I think it's best to do what schuma has done. He has his name/location as well as the date written out so as to avoid any confusion with format.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:18 am 

Really Good idea~I think the plan is under serious consideration, see it by the packaging. The puzzle & stickers are well-prepared & protected. It's a pity I got this news so late. Or else I'll be interested to join. Hmm.....May be the second round :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:36 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Shouldn't participants also add the place and date below their signature? Then the puzzle itself would tell the story of how it travelled the world - a nice touch to bring back memories in years to come (when we all have Alzheimer's), for those who get to keep one... :wink:

And you'll need to decide between US date format (MM/DD/YY) and European date format (DD/MM/YY) as standard, to avoid confusion. Just one of the potential pitfalls of such a truly global project. Details, people, don't forget the details! :lol:

Signing with place and date is a good idea! But unfortunately there are some realistic constraints. Each sticker (for centers) needs to hold two signatures. It turns out that the stickers are not large enough to hold place and date.

My first solve:
I've just solved the puzzle. I wrote down the color pattern before scrambling as a reference. Here's an outline of my solve:

0~5min: Solving centers
5~13min: Solving corners. Failed, centers were messed up.
13min: Start over
13~15min: Solving centers
15~66min: Solve corners
Total time: 66 min 38.06 seconds.

I didn't make more mistakes after getting used to it. I'm sure some of the later participants can solve it much faster than I did.

Some experience:
This puzzle cuts corners, but only in one direction. Cutting corners in the opposite direction is impossible. So although I don't need to align the cuts perfectly before making the next turn, I need remember whether I may under-turn or over-turn, depending on the direction of the next turn. This is just one thing I realized and needed to get used to during the solve.

Is it possible to blindfold it?
Yesterday I was talking with Brandon about the possibility of BLD. The size of the state space is about 10^30. So one needs to memorize 30 digits using optimal coding, which is about 1.5 times of the Rubik's cube. This sounds feasible. One also needs to memorize it for a longer time, and the turning quality is not as good as a "modern" Rubik's cube. It'll be very cool if any participant can do a blindfolded solve.

Last edited by schuma on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:35 pm 

Congrats on your solve! I solved it with a previous set of stickers (the stickers on it now are the third set). It took me about an hour. I used [A, E, F, E', F', A', H', A, F, E, F', E', A', H] which produces a 3-cycle that I find very easy for setups.

schuma wrote:
Is it possible to blindfold it?
Yesterday I was talking with Brandon about the possibility of BLD. The size of the state space is about 10^30. So one needs to memorize 30 digits using optimal coding, which is about 1.5 times of the Rubik's cube. This sounds feasible. One also needs to memorize it for a longer time, and the turning quality is not as good as a "modern" Rubik's cube. It'll be very cool if any participant can do a blindfolded solve.

Thinking about this more, I think it's even harder than we estimated last night.

On a Rubik's cube you have the centers that show you the orientation of the core. You memorize the puzzle relative to this orientation. Because the size calculation for the Rubik's cube is:
? log(8! * 12! / 2 * 3^7 * 2^11) / log(10)
% = 19.63

But on the Pentultimate you don't have a fixed orientation because the centers move. If you use this calculation:
? log((20! / 2 * 12! / 2 * 3^19) / 60) / log(10)
% = 33.75

I think you're cheating by canceling out 60 identical orientations. I think you'll actually be memorizing just one orientation relative to just one center. This is redundant information but it'll matter for the size analysis:
? log(20! / 2 * 12! / 2 * 3^19) / log(10)
% = 35.52

Also on a Rubik's cube when you're thinking about re-orienting the puzzle or doing setups to cycle around pieces there are only 6 faces for setups and 24 orientations. On the Pentultimate there are 12 and 60 respectively. Not only are you memorizing ~36 digits versus ~20 digits, each sequence you perform requires a lot more thinking.

Because of this I think a BLD solve is at least 2x as hard on the Pentultimate even though the information to memorize is only 1.8x as much.

EDIT:
Comparing to the BLD 2x2x2x2 solve:
? log(((16! / 2) * (12^15 * 4)) / 192) / log(10)
% = 27.52

So it's even harder than that too (although my argument about more thinking probably doesn't apply since I'd imagine the 2x2x2x2 requires substantially more thinking considering it has 192 orientations).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:20 pm 

Here are some pictures I took today.

Puzzle around the world (PAW) with the Sather Tower:

Attachment:
tower_p.JPG
tower_p.JPG [ 73.79 KiB | Viewed 12541 times ]

Attachment:
tower_l.JPG
tower_l.JPG [ 97.02 KiB | Viewed 12541 times ]

Attachment:
me.JPG
me.JPG [ 101.5 KiB | Viewed 12541 times ]

PAW with a dinosaur

Attachment:
Dino.JPG
Dino.JPG [ 91.94 KiB | Viewed 12541 times ]

PAW on soil that doesn't belong to any nation:

Attachment:
soil.JPG
soil.JPG [ 136.89 KiB | Viewed 12541 times ]

Does anyone remember this AT&T commercial with a toy monkey?

Attachment:
att.JPG
att.JPG [ 68.47 KiB | Viewed 12541 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 am 

I see Russia: Mid May 2013 in the list.

If it is not big secret, what a city in Russia?

Or may be the participant from Russia will share more information?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 am 

When I showed the picture below on the Petaminx thread, I made this remark about my Pentultimates
Quote:
It is a long story why there are three. I'll tell it when the time comes.
OK, the time has come. You may guess already that it hast to do with the PAW project.
Let me first express that I feel really honoured that I am one of the 23 participants.
By now seven member names of the 23 are made public:
Brandon Enright (bmenrigh)
Ben Freed (benf207)
Katja HĂĄheim (katja)
Daniel Kwan (dkwan)
Eric Vergo (gingervergo)
Dave Litwin (DLitwin)
Sigurd
Konrad

I'm really proud to be a part of this.

I am Konrad (my real first name) from Bavaria/Germany. I'm a retired computer manager at the age of 66. (The number is called a "Schnapszahl" in German :lol: , all digits being identical. )
I suspect that no active member here is older than me. You can probably call me the Doyen of the twistypuzzles forum. :)
You can see in Brandon's table that the PAW puzzle should be with me in next spring.
I wish good luck to the project!

A little bit more about myself can be found in the "Who is Who" thread http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/view ... 63#p197363.

I think that Brandon and the PAW team made a perfect choice of the PAW puzzle. The centre stickers are pretty large and the challenge of a Pentultimate is really something. :) Even when you have solved it many times the setup moves necessary provide a new challenge each time.

Now to the story of my three Pentultimates:

I had got a Mini Pentultimate from Shapeways / TomZ in late 2010 and it was the first puzzle assembled by myself.
When Brandon contacted me offering to make me a PAW participant, I learned that the centre stickers of the 25 mm Mini are too small for all the signatures. I recollected a very nice review of a normal size (30mm edge length) Pentultimate written by Sigurd. I contacted Tom and ordered Pentultimate number two from Shapeways.
When it arrived I found several broken pieces while I was dyeing and assembling the parts.
I had never heared something about broken Shapeways parts and was afraid that boiling the pieces during cleaning and dyeing caused the problem. Tom and Shapeways assured me that this could not be the source of the problem.
Shapeways accepted my complaint and printed a new model for me. Really a good customer service.
When it arrived I checked the parts immediately and strangely enough I had got a few more broken pieces.
I just informed Shapeways and had no reason to complain because I had enough good parts to assemble one perfect puzzle. I broke it in and lubricated it and it turns now very smoothly.
I could assemble the second one and my idea was to use this second for display only after I will get back the signed stickers.
Later I contacted Tom, if he could make a repair kit for me. He was kind enough to do this, I ordered the repair kit and have now two perfect puzzles. Both turn very well. The first may be better broken in and lubricated.

You see my initial bad luck was really good luck at the end.

Here is the second with stickers from Olivér Nagy in frontview / backview fashion as in Gelatinbrain:

Here are both together:
Looking at Brandon's videos makes me wonder, if I should get a number 4. The 40 mm version of Eric looks so good!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 pm 

What sizes are all of the Pentultimates?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm 

I am glad to be a participant as well :) Don't know yet if at that moment i'll be in france or in ireland, so it might not go through france ;)

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm 

Tom's mini one is 25mm to an edge, the one he sells currently is 30mm to an edge, and Eric's is 40mm to an edge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:09 pm 

I'll be extremely happy if Eric can share some pictures of the internal structure of this Pentultimate. When I talk to friends, I try to explain how complicated this puzzle is from inside. A picture will help a lot in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:28 pm 

I feel excited, honored, and happy to be one of the 23. It's great to see Dave (DLitwin), Brandon (bmenrigh) and Nan (schuma) in a photo together, and the PAW Pentultimate visiting the Golden Gate Bridge.

I have already decided on a local landmark and seamark where I think the PAW will look good when early 2013 comes along. :)

Many thanks to Brandon and the PAW project team! This is great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:53 pm 

I too am part of the project, and after seeing where Julian is located, it makes me think that I could just hand the puzzle to him rather than ship it... :) I'm thinking about a puzzle meetup...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:28 pm 

Luke wrote:
I too am part of the project, and after seeing where Julian is located, it makes me think that I could just hand the puzzle to him rather than ship it... :) I'm thinking about a puzzle meetup...
Yes! Sounds good. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:34 pm 

This will be the most epic TP thread ever! I am very envious of all the "chosen ones". Please please please post lots of pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 pm 

Gus wrote:
This will be the most epic TP thread ever! I am very envious of all the "chosen ones". Please please please post lots of pictures.
I sure hope so :!:

It's unfortunate that a project like this necessarily excludes people by including some. The list of folks that "absolutely must be included" is much longer than the number of people that can actually be included.

The biggest uncertainty with this project is the shipping. It'll be costly, it'll take a long time, and there is always the risk of loss, theft, or extreme damage during shipping.

I think one year and 23 people is pretty ambitious to start with. I really hope it works out and everyone has fun. If it does I'll definitely be thinking about ways to do an even more inclusive project :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 pm 

iaroslavski wrote:

I was lucky to be listed here;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:06 am 

Let me add another photo that I took yesterday in Stanford.
Attachment:
stanford.JPG
stanford.JPG [ 86.77 KiB | Viewed 12172 times ]

Just now I solved it again to get a faster time at 26'57". This is probably what I can get unless I change method. I'll pass the puzzle to the next person tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:57 pm 

Today I have handed PAW to Dave Litwin.

Attachment:
next2.JPG
next2.JPG [ 113.39 KiB | Viewed 12066 times ]

I wish PAW good luck when it travels around the world. And I can't wait to see people doing cool stuff with it!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:57 am 

Look very interesting, although my handworks has already gone to more than 40 nations in the world, I still hope to participate in this activity

my website: http://www.iq-puzzle.com.hk/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 am 

SmaZ wrote:
Look very interesting, although my handworks has already gone to more than 40 nations in the world...
Wooo-OOO-oooh, not to be out-done by this measly project... show off! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 am 

KelvinS wrote:
SmaZ wrote:
Look very interesting, although my handworks has already gone to more than 40 nations in the world...
Wooo-OOO-oooh, not to be out-done by this measly project... show off! :lol:

You understand, I'm very low-key,

In fact, I know a lot of important people (puzzle fans) in China and Taiwan.

it will complete the world list.:)

my website: http://www.iq-puzzle.com.hk/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:31 pm 

Let's stay on topic, please. The path of the PAW has been set and I would not want people petitioning to change its course by posting here or it will create a mess.

I am not the spokesman for this project (merely an invitee) but I know it wasn't easy to create a proposed invite list, and certainly not everyone who was invited accepted or responded in time to be chosen. Those receiving the puzzle will hopefully attempt to share it with other locals in the spirit of the project but it isn't always easy to do so. I will try to organize a SF puzzle meet up next week in fact while it is in my care.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 am 

Can someone drive past Nottingham/UK with it?
I'd love to see it...
Vadim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:31 pm 

Why can't the list of countries which the puzzle will be visiting be published? At least then, members of that county could maybe arrange a meetup and be part of this PAW? I understand that exact dates and times maybe impossible for the whole journey, but just give members who have not been part of the project so far to participate. Or is that the whole point? Only the "chosen ones" can touch the holy grail!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:35 pm 

The list of countries is in the original post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:47 pm 

Luke wrote:
The list of countries is in the original post.
:oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:48 pm 

grigr wrote:
iaroslavski wrote:

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Evgeniy lives in a rather remote city. We have a Russian forum, and the cities with the largest population of puzzle collectors and lovers are, as you could imagine, Moscow and Saint-Petersburg. While Evgeniy might be an excellent choice, it's a shame that only Evgeniy will be able to see this puzzle in Russia.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 pm 

Where in Canada will it be stopping? I'm guessing Toronto?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 pm 

Hi puzzling friends,

I have been lucky enough to be selected as an Australian participant. The puzzle isn't getting to Australia until mid next year, but I intend to organise a meetup in the Sydney-Newcastle area, if anyone is interested and wants to send me a PM, now or any time in the future. I see this project as a great opportunity to bring the community together a bit, and Brandon has already hinted at something further if it's successful. There is further information about who the recipients will be, being planned to be released. People have legitimate privacy concerns, which I understand. I'm sure that adequate information will be released within enough time during the year or so of the puzzle's journey.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 pm 

Gus wrote:
Why can't the list of countries which the puzzle will be visiting be published? At least then, members of that county could maybe arrange a meetup and be part of this PAW? I understand that exact dates and times maybe impossible for the whole journey, but just give members who have not been part of the project so far to participate. Or is that the whole point? Only the "chosen ones" can touch the holy grail!

It took me a while to ask participants but I have now posted more detailed location information as well as a list of participants. If you see a location near you, feel free to PM that member to discuss the possibility of a meetup :D

The whole goal of the project is to be inclusive and help bring a global community together. I really do hope that people are able to arrange meetups.

It is also clear that 23 people just isn't enough to reach everyone that wants to participate. We had to start somewhere though and I think going around the world in a year is already pretty ambitious. I view this first go-around as a test-run. If things work out well I really hope to do this a second year or even have several puzzles going around the world. I'm already thinking about how to prepare for that.

Also, if you're a designer and you want to build the next puzzle to go around, contact me and we can discuss ideas, details, and requirements. The box was designed specifically to hold a 40mm Dodecahedron so I need to know the puzzle shape months in advance of the start of another go-around.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 pm 

Ah, I wish I could get up to Rochester (and meet other puzzlers too!). But it's a bit far and I can't drive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:58 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
grigr wrote:
iaroslavski wrote:

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Evgeniy lives in a rather remote city. We have a Russian forum, and the cities with the largest population of puzzle collectors and lovers are, as you could imagine, Moscow and Saint-Petersburg. While Evgeniy might be an excellent choice, it's a shame that only Evgeniy will be able to see this puzzle in Russia.

I can make a short trip to Moscow ;) when I get the puzzle...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:10 am 

I contacted Claus and Andreas about a German meeting. Both reacted positive. Maybe, there is an opportunity to show the PAW puzzle at the German Cube Day 2013. (Usually it is in the time frame March / April, but I have never been there.)
Most likely the PAW meeting will be in the western part of Germany because I seem to be the only one in Bavaria.
I have to drive 555 km (another "Schnapszahl") to Koblenz, if e.g. Andreas would organize something where he lives.

If any twistypuzzle friends are interested in a German PAW Meeting, you can PM one of us (German language preferred :), but we are certainly open to whole Europe)

I hope to speak for all participants: We are not an exclusive elite club. (I view myself as a humble little collector and solver and see it as sheer luck to be one of the participants.)
We want to share as much as we can.

I can imagine how hard it was for Brandon to select the participants.
Possibly, some who said no to him earlier are regretting it now? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:17 am 

I also think a UK meetup will be possible (although I haven't discussed it with Julian yet), so Gus, Vadim, and any other other UK member will be able to play with the puzzle if they wish (however, the meetup would be in the south, so it might be quite a drive!).