Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problem in Shapeways
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:14 pm 

Hey, I recieved my second shapeways puzzle and there is a flaw. The puzzle, master quartet, uses a tongue-and-groove mechanism. The first time I made it, I uploaded the pieces seperately because I didn't know better. This time, I uploaded the whole assembly and saved $50 :lol: but I noticed a piece that was supposed to be circular wasn't. Could it be possible that since it is a larger file overall, it is being printed in a larger, less exact, printer? The "circlular holes" are flat at the top.. See picture below. On the left is the first type; right, second. Well atleast in real life it's a less-drastic, but I still had to sand down the bottom of the pieces that fit into the groove so they would be flush during the equator turn. A circular file would've worked even better.

Attachments:
tpquestion.png
tpquestion.png [ 10.62 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rubikscuber1

Post subject: Re: Problem in Shapeways
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:20 pm 

Can you take a picture of the actual flawed parts with something in the picture to provide a size comparison? Big flaws are pretty rare. If those holes are only 1mm in diameter or so I could see the flaw you describe as being somewhat likely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Can you take a picture of the actual flawed parts with something in the picture to provide a size comparison? Big flaws are pretty rare. If those holes are only 1mm in diameter or so I could see the flaw you describe as being somewhat likely.

Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJrmYQsJ ... e=youtu.be

I know for sure it isn't a tolerance problem because the small corned went into to large one perfectly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:59 pm 

Yeah that looks totally normal and should be mostly resolve itself during the break-in process.

There is a thin layer of nylon powder that isn't fully sintered / bonded to the rest of the part that comes off during break-in. Usually when you wear down this thin layer to the solid part minor issues like what you've shown go away.

For what it's worth, about 24 hours in a vibratory tumbler with coarse grit takes this outer powder shell off and the puzzle is as good as "broken in". All the rest of the time in the tumbler is just polishing for visual effect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:14 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Yeah that looks totally normal and should be mostly resolve itself during the break-in process.

There is a thin layer of nylon powder that isn't fully sintered / bonded to the rest of the part that comes off during break-in. Usually when you wear down this thin layer to the solid part minor issues like what you've shown go away.

For what it's worth, about 24 hours in a vibratory tumbler with coarse grit takes this outer powder shell off and the puzzle is as good as "broken in". All the rest of the time in the tumbler is just polishing for visual effect.

ok, Thanks!