Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Overlapping Cube Variant
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 pm 

Hello everybody,
Normally I don't like to post a new mod before I give it s a gift, but I'm quite proud of my efforts on this one so I'm posting it anyways.
This puzzle is a variation of the Junior Overlapping Cube. It is essentially a 2x2x2 with a 3x3x3 middle layer exposed. Due to the nature of the middle layer being exposed, the 2x2x2 has been restricted to 180-degree turns on 2 axes.
I made this puzzle using 8 Fisher Cube edges, 8 normal-sized 3x3 corners, 8 giant (30-mm) corners, a normal core, and 4 regular edges (plus some sheeting stolen from the spare giant edges-used to make the regular edges flush with the new corners). The stickers are mostly regular vinyl, but there are 2 faces of cling vinyl and two faces of shade-shifting pearl material.
Interestingly, I did not use a ruler for any aspect of making this puzzle. I used pre-existing lines and edges to make my cuts with a hacksaw blade that was a bit too large.
A combination of lack of skill and poor tools and materials has resulted in some turning-quality issues. A more experienced modder could make a better version, and I would consider it a compliment if someone tried. It is also worth noting that the person playing with the puzzle needs some skill or knowledge in order to make the puzzle work properly. It is necessary to manually bandage one edge to the center cap with one's finger when turning the opposite slice to prevent friction from rotating the middle slice and creating a misalignment.
As I have presented the relevant textual information, I suppose that it is a good idea to show some pictures and a video:

Video

Attachments:
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG [ 48.75 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG [ 49.61 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG [ 52.46 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG [ 48.21 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Overlapping Cube Variant
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 pm 

Very nice! If it could turn better, this would be quite a nice puzzle!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:11 am 

Nice looking puzzle!!! :D I would build one for my own collection. Anyway, any scramble pictures? :)

FB Account
Puzzle Lust
Youtube Account

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:12 pm 

No scramble pictures because I don't want to risk breaking it :!: If the intended recipient allows it, I'll post some pictures from IPP. I am debating whether or not to do some edge-center bandaging because there are some parts that turn better than others, and bandaging might help with stabilization (and mean that there would be no skill involved in turning it, too...). I'll ask the person that I'm giving it to for an opinion but that probably won't be until late Wednesday or Thursday.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:04 pm 

Update: I was highly dissatisfied with the turning quality, so I decided to sand down some of the pieces. It was at that point that I discovered that the Fisher Edges that I had used were covered in paint! Silly me, I had previously covered them in black paint for another (failed) mod then promptly forgot about it. I also sanded down some of the new corners with the intent of preventing blockage. The result: the puzzle now turns much better. The lesson: sandpaper is your best friend.

doctor who wrote: