Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What cubiod should i get?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:27 pm 

Hi everyone.

I got back into cubing a few months ago, and found out there where lots more puzzles than 2x2x2-5x5x5 and now have a small collection of about 15 puzzles. I was thinking of what twisty puzzle to get next and I decided on a cubiod. I was going to get the 4x4x6 but i was wondering if there is a smaller order one i should get first.

Thank you :D

Post subject: Re: What cubiod should i get?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:36 pm 

iamacuber wrote:
Hi everyone.

I got back into cubing a few months ago, and found out there where lots more puzzles than 2x2x2-5x5x5 and now have a small collection of about 15 puzzles. I was thinking of what twisty puzzle to get next and I decided on a cubiod. I was going to get the 4x4x6 but i was wondering if there is a smaller order one i should get first.

Thank you :D

4x4x6 is a good option since it isn't too expensive and it shapeshifts quite well, while being or quite a high order.

You might want to buy a cuboid rather than a cubiod though ;)

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:45 pm 

The standard set is nice: 3x3x2 and 2x2x3. (+3x3x1, 2x2x1 and 3x3x4) If you are a collector.
If you want a challenge I'd say 2x3x4, 3x4x5, 4x4x6, 4x4x5 or 5x5x4.

My favourite of all of them is the 3x4x5. Not the mass produced version though.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 pm 

iamacuber wrote:
I was going to get the 4x4x6 but i was wondering if there is a smaller order one i should get first.

No. You can simulate loads of other cuboids on a 4x4x6 so you can start easy (2x2x3 for example) and work your way up with just the one puzzle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:00 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
iamacuber wrote:
I was going to get the 4x4x6 but i was wondering if there is a smaller order one i should get first.

No. You can simulate loads of other cuboids on a 4x4x6 so you can start easy (2x2x3 for example) and work your way up with just the one puzzle.

Tony's right; it can simulate a bunch of other cuboids, plus it turns really well. You could do the same with a 5x5x4.

Shapeways Shop | Youtube Channel

Custom Puzzles For Sale
Moldmaking Tutorial

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm 

Thanks everyone i guess i will get the 4x4x6.
Also sorry im not good at spelling. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:44 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
You can simulate loads of other cuboids on a 4x4x6 so you can start easy (2x2x3 for example) and work your way up with just the one puzzle.

Come to think of it, why not just go for a really high even-order cube. For example, with a 12x12x12 cube you can simulate pretty much any cube or cuboid you like, with any even or odd number of layers up to 12 along each axis.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
You can simulate loads of other cuboids on a 4x4x6 so you can start easy (2x2x3 for example) and work your way up with just the one puzzle.

Come to think of it, why not just go for a really high even-order cube. For example, with a 12x12x12 cube you can simulate pretty much any cube or cuboid you like, with any even or odd number of layers up to 12 along each axis.

Not a bad idea... I don't think Leslie is selling, though... :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Doug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:01 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

That would be a lot of thinking about which turns are possible and which ones are not, especially if you are simulating something like a 4x6x8 or so :S

By the way you can buy 2x2x3 + 2x3x3 together for ~ 15$ so I would get these too. I don't like simulating smaller puzzles with bigger ones :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:07 am 

EMI94100 wrote:
That would be a lot of thinking about which turns are possible and which ones are not, especially if you are simulating something like a 4x6x8 or so :S

Not really, you can just temporarily bandage the appropriate pieces with sticky tape, and then forget that it was a higher order cube. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:27 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
EMI94100 wrote:

Not really, you can just temporarily bandage the appropriate pieces with sticky tape, and then forget that it was a higher order cube. :wink:

that would look awful :(

:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:11 pm 

Hmm. Well if I knew where to get a 12x12, I dont think I would have the money to buy one. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:18 pm 

You'll know where to buy it soon, but you won't be able to afford it ;)

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:29 pm 

Ah... I remember when I first learned there was more than a 5x5 (it's like when Hagrid first split that brick wall and showed Harry Potter what Diagon Alley was in the first movie)

The mf8 2x3x4 cuboid came out recently, that might be a good choice for you. It's not too difficult and it shape-shifts (it can be found on the hknowstore site. ) Also, if your advancing in puzzle types, I would recommend a megaminx, it's similar to a 3x3 except you just have to repeat the some steps over and over again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:24 pm 

EMI94100 wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

That would be a lot of thinking about which turns are possible and which ones are not, especially if you are simulating something like a 4x6x8 or so

That is true but in the case of the 4x4x6 most of the available cuboids are much more obvious visually. Once you get started you quickly realise what your restrictions are since the patterns become familiar. The 2x2x3 is probably the easiest but requires a new corner solving approach. Once mastered I suspect anyone would quickly advance to the 4x4x6 itself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:00 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
As someone who is also fairly new to the twisty puzzle thing, I have recently progressed from quick cubes to higher order cubes to dodecahedra and from them to cuboids and finally to the crazy puzzles.

My advice to you is to start with some of the basic cuboids to learn the varying techniques. The first to learn should usually be the 3x3x2 to learn how to position corners and edges without using 90deg side turns. Then I would move to a 2x2x4 (skip the 2x2x3) to learn about returning a shapeshifted puzzle back to position and then using the other algorithms to unscramble it. After this you have some options - maybe a 3x3x4, 3x3x5 or even a 5x5x4 to learn about centre positioning or if you are really up to a challenge then maybe the 4x4x6 to combine the centre positioning with undoing the shapeshifting. The alternative is to move on to the shapeshifting brick type puzzles (with all sides non-divideable) which have a very different approach - for this you would have the recent 2x3x4 (I don't have this yet) or my suggestion would be a 3x4x5.

Or you can do what I did and get all the mass produced ones within a very short time!! :shock: :shock:
Oh yes - don't forget the marvellous Witeden cubic cuboids too - I began with the 3x3x9!!

After that then there are lots of other big cuboids on shapeways or made as mods of cubes for megabux!

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:14 pm 

Hmm well I am not going to have the extra money to spend on a 12x12 but it sounds great. :D
Thanks for all the advice everyone I think I will start with the 4x4x6 ( then getting the smaller ones for my collection of course :D)