Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Master Brilic/ Master Starminx sequences
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 am 

Hi Puzzling Friends,

A few days ago I solved my Master Starminx. I had already solved the Master Brilic on Gelatinbrain so I knew what to expect, but I really enjoyed the solve so I couldn't wait to try it on a physical puzzle.

What I wanted to share was my method for completing the LL Split Pyraminx Crystal Edges. I think it might be unique, what I try to do is get a method that I can remember easily in a visual way.

When faced with the LL I will first solve the 2 R & L reduced edges with standard sequences and U twists. Then I can usually get another one with no real problem. What I use for the last 2 is a method for `flipping a single edge`. It's a 3cycle, but it works for flipping an edge if the colour on U matches the colour of the F face. You can use this sequence to finish it off.

I can hide the sequence, but I can't hide the picture so [highlight to read]
and I am using Konrad's notation from the Dodecahedron Notation Thread:
[ F (2*L 2*R' 2*L' 2*R) 2*UR 2*UL (2*L 2*R' 2*L' 2*R)
F' (2*R' 2*L 2*R 2*L') 2*UL' 2*UR' (2*R'2*L 2*R 2*L')
] I just added an F twist for the picture to demonstrate from the solved state.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
MS single edge flip.jpg
MS single edge flip.jpg [ 792.05 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Post subject: Re: Master Brilic/ Master Starminx sequences
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 am 

Hey Burgo, this situation would never come up using my method of reduction to a Megaminx. Instead of viewing this as two flipped Brilic edges, I'd view it as a 2-2 swap in the edge-wings. I'd cycle the edge wings around until they matched up with the Brilic edges and the group of 3 pieces together would then be treated as a Megaminx edge.

I reduce centers, triple-up edges, solve the Megaminx.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:44 am 

Could you share your sequences for cycling the edge wing pieces, bmenrigh? That would really help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 am 

Hi Brandon,

Sorry, maybe my post isn't as clear as I thought it was. I reduce to a Megaminx too.

This is an example on my solved cube: which has moved the Inner Brilic Edges (as well) because it's not a pure sequence.

Perhaps I have named the `Split Pyraminx Crystal Edges` wrong? I mean the large pieces on the face (+ center pieces?). They make the Pyraminx Crystal Edges when they are solved, but they are in 2 halves (split). Later, when I reduce the Megaminx Edges I use the Gigaminx technique.

What I was showing is how I place the last few `Split Pyraminx Crystal Edges` on the LL. This is quite early in the solve, it is only the second piece type I place in the solve.

My solving order is:
1. The small Face Corner pieces
2. The Split Pyraminx Crystal Edges (large pieces on the faces)
3. Starminx Centres
4. Starminx Points with Sune Commutator.
5. Reduce Inner & Outer Brilic Edges
6. Solve the reduced Megaminx

Sorry, I have no ideas for nomenclature, I will change mine if someone posts the correct names :) .

The blue in the picture is what I'm `pretending` it's doing, the green is what it's actually doing.

Attachments:
MS single edge flip.jpg
MS single edge flip.jpg [ 813.81 KiB | Viewed 2087 times ]

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:15 am 

77mouser wrote:
Could you share your sequences for cycling the edge wing pieces, bmenrigh? That would really help.
Hi Marcy,
I use the same technique as for reducing the Gigaminx Edges to a Megaminx edge:
Place Large Inner edge on LF
Place matching Outer Wing Edge on RF (Lower position)
Pair up with 2*U'
R (U twist exchange) R' (Note: here I always have a prepared Inner Edge to return that matches the lower Wing edge in the LF lower position).
2*U to replace

I hope that makes sense (2*U means a single twist of U and u).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:20 am 

I get it now Burgo. That was simpler than I thought-there I go overthinking again. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:28 am 

Hey Burgo, I didn't realize you were talking about the + centers. My mistake.

For almost the whole solve I just used a double 3-cycle [1,1] commutator (3-cycle Brilic edge groups). Only at the very end did I need to use a cleaner 3-cycle.

My base routine is a [3,1] == [[1:1],1] commutator:
[C'&2, E&2, C&2, B, C'&2, E'&2, C&2, B'] (Gelatinbrain notation)
Because I'm doing a reduction solve I don't actually undo the last Megaminx face turn which makes this a 7-move routine.

To cycle the exact same pieces as you I'd need to add a setup move, making it a 10 move routine:
[1:[[1:1],1]] -> [F:[[C'&2:E&2],B']]

EDIT: I see from your picture you too didn't undo the final Megaminx face move. You can ignore my 10-move routine then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
77mouser wrote:

Hey Burgo!!!

I don't have any of these Shapeways puzzles yet - the sheer complexity really puts me off! Maybe one of your world famous video tutorial series might help explain how this works (I can't even see how you reduce to a megaminx from the pictures).

In fact a world famous video series might entice me into buying one of these puzzles! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:11 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
For almost the whole solve I just used a double 3-cycle [1,1] commutator (3-cycle Brilic edge groups). Only at the very end did I need to use a cleaner 3-cycle.Exactly, we are only talking about placing the last few My base routine is a [3,1] == [[1:1],1] commutator:
[C'&2, E&2, C&2, B, C'&2, E'&2, C&2, B'] (Gelatinbrain notation)
EDIT: I see from your picture you too didn't undo the final Megaminx face move. My picture may be confusing too, I added an F twist (that is unnessesary if you begin with the edge flipped): to demonstrate how I use the 3cycle as a flip-or swap.

Your sequence is highly efficient and I really appreciate you sharing it.
It's more similar to what I initially came up with when I did the Master Brilic (which does the same thing as my longer sequence):
F U2' (r'l rl') F' (lr' l'r) U2
Except you are shortening it with a conjugate (Brandon's sequence in Konrad's Notoation):
(r' dl r) U (r' dl' r) U'
Here is my longer sequence (shortened to it's essential parts- remember on a physical puzzle you can turn the outer layers with the slices here):
F (lr' l'r) 2*UR 2*UL (lr' l'r)
F' (r'l rl') 2*UL' 2*UR' (r'l rl')
The reason I am using a longer sequence is because for the few moves I would save over an entire solve, I just prefer a routine that I am going to remember forever a little bit more easily. I really only thought about the longer sequence when I had the physical puzzle rather than Gelatinbrain.

Kevin, making a video of this puzzle would be a mammoth task, and really, it is more of an enjoyable puzzle than an incredibly difficult one. The most difficult part of the solve is what we are discussing here^^ (and that's only the movement of the final 3 or 4 pieces within a piece type- not even placing an entire piece type).

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Hi Guys,

I don't mean to hijack this post but seeing as you lot and Burgo in particular have nearly talked me into buying a master Starminx! :shock: I thought I had better start easy with the ordinary Starminx.

I have looked at Calvin's store and see 2 types of Starminx - which one should I be familiar with before looking at this Shapeways special? Or am I better off learning to solve both?

Thanks for your views.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:08 am 

The Face Turning Starminx is what you're looking for. It is the kind of Starminx that the Master Starminx is based on. Even though I don't own a Master Starminx, my initial guess would be that the Master Starminx is easier, even though it may take more time.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!