Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where to buy puzzles in Berlin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 am 

I'll spend the second half of July in Berling with my kids (13,15)

Way too much to see, but:

Any suggestion for a good puzzle shop?

other suggestions what to visit for those interested in math, physics, ... also welcome!

Thanks!
Maarten

Post subject: Re: Where to buy puzzles in Berlin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:45 am 

Courtesy of the IPP31 website:
- Der verrückte Laden, Bürgerheimstrasse 19 - This one has a good selection of pranks, magic tricks but it also has quite some cast puzzles and trick boxes. Rox found some kind of fruit puzzle here that made her very excited.
- Innovatorshop, Lychener Strasse 8 - No idea about this one, but it sells "strange things" for your collection.
- KaDeWe, Tauentzienstrasse 21-24 - Though it sells puzzles, this is not really a puzzle shop. But if you visit Berlin you must go here.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:57 am 

You can find Rubik's puzzles in all librarys...
TomZ wrote:
- KaDeWe, Tauentzienstrasse 21-24 - Though it sells puzzles, this is not really a puzzle shop. But if you visit Berlin you must go here.

But this is avery expensive shop! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 am 

TomZ wrote:
Courtesy of the IPP31 website:
- Der verrückte Laden, Bürgerheimstrasse 19 - This one has a good selection of pranks, magic tricks but it also has quite some cast puzzles and trick boxes. Rox found some kind of fruit puzzle here that made her very excited.

They also had a few Marcel puzzles I'm still kicking myself over not getting: king and queen! The B&P version. If it is still there....I dream.....buy them for me! I'd be one happy girl!

I got a toyo glass asparagus. They had quite a few 'old' puzzles there. More that than new.

TomZ wrote:

I got a lot here. About 3 or 4 anchor puzzles, a few smart games, some from popular playthings that I couldn't find in HK. I didn't think it was expensive. I thought it was a shop out of time! Memories of years gone by....

Oh, and be sure to check out the markets! you might just find a bargain or two there as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:51 am 

katsmom wrote:
They also had a few Marcel puzzles I'm still kicking myself over not getting: king and queen! The B&P version. If it is still there....I dream.....buy them for me! I'd be one happy girl!

Forgive me for going off-topic, but do you own Marcel's pawn? If so, did it become faulty after very little use?

I've got two B&P pawns whose mechanisms failed. It was still listed in B&P's catalog at the time so I tried to get a "virgin" specimen for my collection, but they said they'd discontinued it because they'd had complaints from other buyers. (Spoilsports!)

So far I haven't met anyone with an intact B&P Pawn, but I've encountered three malfunctioning ones so I have a strong suspicion there's an endemic problem. If you've got one and it's intact, give it special treatment.
Attachment:
IMG_6886.JPG
IMG_6886.JPG [ 215.69 KiB | Viewed 1335 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:21 am 

Yep, the Pawn is well known to seal itself shut with normal use. I've seen a couple of functioning ones, but most of the ones I've come across in other collections are broken.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:50 pm 

TomZ, thanks for suggesting Der verrückte Laden, I will make sure to check it out!

Unfortunately I know if no great puzzle store in my great town, but here is where some new puzzles can be found from time to time:

http://www.werken-spielen-schenken.de/wssimpressum.html
This is a wonderful toy store also for model builders and scrapbookers. Lately I have seen there puzzles such as (I don't remember exactly): Rubik's 3x3 and 4x4, Rubik's 360, Rubik's Code (havn't seen that one anywhere else), Think Fun 36 Cube, many Smart Games as well as Philos tanglement and take-apart/put-together puzzles.

Spieleland in the Schönhauser Allee Arcaden (S and U station Schönhauser Allee) has a small puzzle section (look for the large Rubik's Cube replica hanging from the ceiling) where I have seen Rubik's 3x3 and 4x4, Rubik's tower, Rubik's 360, Rubik's Magic, Rubik's Race (though not when I was there today), some Smart Games (including IQ Puzzler and Smart Phone) and Think Fun Games, some Philos Puzzles.

There's no need to check out Toys'r'Us, but I have bought some of my Puzzles (Think Fun 36 Cube, Rubik's Delta Ball) at Spiele Max (toy store chain).

I hope you have a great time here, puzzles or no.

Celia