Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speaking of running
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:48 pm 

I would have just replied to Rox's post since it involved running, but the subject was more about getting sponsored for charity and I didn't want to take away from that. I posted this in another forum I read, but thought I'd get more responses here.

Anyway, I've decided to sign up for a half marathon May 5th and a full marathon June 16th and have been training for a couple of months on a treadmill. Got myself some good shoes from a running store. Other than a few small aches and blisters that don't seem to matter, I'm doing fine. I think my biggest obstacle is just mental. At the end of the run, i physically feel like I can go much further, it's just mentally I keep telling myself that this sucks.

Typically in a week I'll run 3-4 times usually 3-5 miles or so, then once a week I'll do a longer run at 15% slower or so (so far 8 miles is the most I've done).
Now that the weather is getting better and I only have about 6 weeks or so for the half, I plan on running outside. I did buy a heart monitor watch that tracks distance and speed, otherwise I would have no clue how to pace myself.

I’m not worried about the half marathon, I feel as though I could do that in a week or two if I had to. It’s the full marathon that’s got me worried. Do I have enough time for training assuming I plateau at a half marathon May 5th? Or should I be doing longer distances prior to that? I’m worried about running out of glycogen and hallucinating while the fat metabolism kicks in although I do plan on taking some gels. So far those haven’t been an issue, but I don’t think my distances are long enough to where I actually need them. I just want to make sure my body is used to them.

Really my goal is to 1. Not die. 2. Finish without major injuries 3. Get under 5 hours. 4. Not stop unless I absolutely have to (nature calls, or broken bone or whatnot)

-d

Post subject: Re: Speaking of running
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:16 pm 

darryl wrote:
I’m worried about running out of glycogen and hallucinating while the fat metabolism kicks in although I do plan on taking some gels.

Get out on the roads and forget the science stuff! Running on a tread mill is completely different to hard roads and changing surfaces. It doesn't matter about the weather. Unless there's heavy snow you can still run. As for pace I would advise a fast jog and don't chase all those people sprinting off at the start.
I don't think you will know about the full marathon until you have done the half. If you are fine go for it. Every second spent reading about glycogen or whatever is a second you should be outside running.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:22 pm 

I second every word of Tony's message.

Proper running is a must. When on a treadmill the only motion is up and down, if you did that off a treadmill you'd be jogging on the spot; hence why many find that they can run further on a treadmill than they can on the streets.

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm 

When I was (much) younger I did a half marathon (the Great North Run). Training involved running three times a week, just increasing the distance a little each time you ran. Record your times, and try to better them each time. Vary your running routes to avoid boredom. Try to find a good running partner, this makes things a LOT easier. Sometimes when you run, it will be very hard, and every step will be your last. But sometimes, you feel that you could run forever, and it is so easy that it feels like you are floating. Just hope that this happens when you do the race!

I was never very sporty when I was young, always overweight, but once I decided that I was going to do the 1/2 marathon, I fully committed to it. I wanted to do a good time. And I finished in about 1:34:00. Believe in your own abilities and you can do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:04 pm 

Darryl, I was a gym baby. I love lifting weights, I still enjoy an hour on the elliptical machine once a week, I spent hours on the treadmill. And then one day I was talking to a colleague (who does ultras quite frequently) and bemoaning the fact that I wasn't shedding these post-smoking pounds (Ladies and gentlemen, it will be one year at Easter I'll have you know!) and she coned me into doing a 10k with her. Now I ran cross country back in high school (It was a 2 mile race then) and at university so I figured why not. Besides, I knew the area pretty well because my daughter goes to school there. Sure, there are hills but there's a hill course on the treadmill right? Not a problem for the likes of me right? So I did the elliptical for an hour less each week and added that time to the treadmill.

Race day. OMG! There were HILLS! Not just hills, but HILLS! 10k? What was I thinking? I'd only stopped smoking for 6 months, I didn't own my lungs yet. Like you, I had a few blisters. Not a big deal. But I did discover that my treadmill shoes really didn't cut it for the road. And I won't even begin to talk about my legs....

The problem was, by this time I was hooked! There's no high like the one I get from running (ok, except seeing my puzzle friends and getting totally blotto with my brother across the border) I was starting to drink quite a bit as I'm sure Tony could attest :lol: but once I started in on this little hobby that's all but stopped. I reserve the binges for my boss....I also realized that there was no way I was going to go enter another race of any length unless I got off the treadmill, out of the gym and hit the streets. So that's exactly what I did. I've a down and back loop to the train station that is 5k. I do that every night when I get home from work just to keep my lungs working and my heart pumping sort of thing. I've a 10k loop in two different directions I do 2x a week because that seems to be all I'm seeing this time of year here in HK. Warm weather is approaching and it seems people don't like to run in it. And once a week I run. I really run. I have found a route I just love on Castle peak road here. It takes me from my house out to a in the middle of nowhere new town-around 29k. If I'm feeling really good, I go to another new town a little bit further out-around 34k. And guess what? I use nothing more than good old fashioned water and maybe a banana or a chocolate bar if I'm feeling really peckish.

I realized that when I was younger there were no gels. no chews. no powders. I don't even think Gatoraid existed. We ran, we drank water, we ate apples. That's not to say I didn't try. My first real long run, I brought along one. I drank/ate the gel as recommended. I had swollen ankles for 3 days. Must have been a fluke. I tried it again last week. No fluke. 4 days of swollen ankles again. Enough I say! I tossed the rest in the bin. I carry water on my hip. I've a bit to eat in the pouch and I go....

I'm hoping to do a 1/2 marathon in Vancouver in June. (If dad will drive to Chicago to pick me up that all changes though) But even if I don't do that one, I'll do one around September here in HK when the weather starts to cool and the races pick up again.

As for finishing? I had a conversation if you will with Bob about the goals of another light pole on my little runs with bug. Those are never any more than the 5k loop right now. We'll start adding more to them in a few more months. Sidetracked-Bob. Right. He told me when he does his 'longer runs' which blow my mind....that he does the old light pole thing too. (I'm glad I'm not the only one) If you think you can do it, you will. The down and back I run nightly is down a hill to sea level and then back up a 140m climb. When I first decide to do the back bit I just kept saying to myself "you know you can, you know you can" When I didn't, I cried. But then I tried again the next night and the next and the next and now I just do. Look for your light pole, find your 'little engine that could' and you will.

Do yourself a favor-Get out of the gym. Check out the roads. Do a "real" long run. Oh yes, and make sure your shoes are good. The fit is super important. I now have 2 black toenails and another has finally dropped off. Bigger shoes, a different lacing style and all my pain is gone. (I'd tell you to make sure your bra fits properly, but I'm pretty sure with a name like Darryl.... :lol: :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm 

darryl wrote:
Do I have enough time for training assuming I plateau at a half marathon May 5th? Or should I be doing longer distances prior to that?

I notice you're from Illinois, but the Chicago Marathon (one of my favorites!) usually isn't in June but more in September/October. Which one are you running in? The general rule of thumb is to definately get out and spend time pounding the pavement and not the treadmill.
Drink water when it's offered, but not too much, just little sips unless you're thirsty, as studies showed a high incidence of low sodium (hyponatremia) from athletes drinking too much water.

I usually have something in my pocket to eat at mile 6, mile 12, mile 15 or 18, and mile 20 or 22. Nothing big, maybe just a third to a half of a Power Bar (if you don't know what those are, you will!) or GU and this will keep you in enough homeostasis to where you won't go hypoglycemic. In the Detroit Marathon they offer beer at mile 21, which I never partook in as I would be stumbling across the finish line!

If you can do a half marathon comfortably, then you have the physical capability to finish a marathon well under 5 hours. However, I absolutely recommend sometime before a month of the start to go out for an 18 mile run and see how you feel. You're body can do some strange, incredible, and often terrible things to you at mile 18 and up that you never anticipated!
For a first marathon, run comfortably, strike up a conversation with the people around you, and have fun with it! The end result after crossing the finish line after a 4 to 4.5 hour effort is a feeling of accomplishment unlike any you will find in any other venue, and a powerfully addicting one! Even more satisfying then solving Traiphum's Hexaphobic!

Have fun!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm 

Thanks for all of the advice. I don't think I have time right now to reply to all of it.

I signed up for Grandma's Marathon in Duluth MN. My wife has family around the area and the Chicago marathon is sold out, so it made sense. At this point, since there are no refunds, I'm doing it even if it means crawling my way across the finish line.

It sounds like everyone is in agreement that I have to get off the treadmill and start running outside. I will do that this weekend. I'll go for a 10 mile run and see how that goes. I did set an incline on the treadmill, but I'm sure it's quite different then regular outside running. Fortunately Grandma's marathan is along lake Superior and is very flat. I think there is an overall decent of about 100 meters or so which I would consider flat. I'm not sure about the half marathon. I know it's in southern wisconsin, so it's probably somewhat flat, but I did just do a 20 mile bike ride just south of there in Waucanda IL and that was super hilly - first gear can be your friend for that.

I do have a hard time eating and drinking while running, so I have a camelbak to make it easier, and the goo gel stuff seems to work fine with me, so I'll try to take one of those every five miles or so along with water depending on how I'm feeling.

As for my shoes, they are great. The guy at the running store was able to find the perfect pair for my feet and running style. My blisters were actually not a big deal, I just my shoes tied too tight and the blisters were at the very tips of my middle toes and didn't bother me at all.

I don't think I'll be able to find a good running partner since the times I run will vary tremendously. I'm better off just throwing on some headphones and going. To plan would make me want to go less. My wife won't go - she's more of a biker.

I'll keep you guys updated if you'd like.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

Good luck man! My New Year's Resolution was to run a half by the end of the year. I didn't get too much training in during the winter, but I started back up again with the weather being so great. I'm hoping I can run one in the Fall. :)

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:22 pm 

I'll be honest; I can't run worth crap (after about 300 yards, I get a searing pain in my abdomen, and I have to place my arms behind my head to breathe, and I pretty much have to walk from there on), but I greatly admire people who can run marathons, however I can ride a bicycle for miles and miles and miles at a time without stopping. It's a lot faster than running, too! Maybe it's the fact that I can pedal for a while, then coast, the pedal, then coast a bit, especially on gentile hills. For the record, I'm also 290 pounds (and desperately trying to stay below 300), so I really need to hit the bicycle more often... :|

Is bicycling a good alternative for people who just can't run worth a damn? It's a pity they don't have more group bicycle rides that aren't flat-out races. There's safety in numbers, especially with all the idiot drives not paying attention on the roadways...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm 

There's plenty of bike rides that are non races out by me. Do a search for bicycle clubs by you and you may find some. Unfortunately for me, they are usually way too early in the morning and I'm not much of a morning person.
I do like the fact that when biking, you can stop pedaling and keep moving, running is so inefficient compared to it.

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier when Rox mentioned getting the right size bra made me think that after one run, my nipples were actually really sore and slightly bleeding. Seems odd to me that that's common with men. Anyway, I bought a new running shirt that's one of those Adidas Coolmax shirts and haven't had the problem since. Otherwise I would have had to Vaseline them or something :oops:

-d

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:25 pm 

UPDATE:

So yesterday I had two cheeseburgers and fries from McDonald's and 2 hours later, I ran 10 miles along the path along the forest preserve by my house. It went better than I thought. The time goes by much faster than on a treadmill. I learned that running with a camelbak is not easy. I went less than a mile and had to drop the camelbak off. Then unfortunately the rest of the run I didn't have water. It wasn't hot or anything, so I was fine. One thing I was not expecting was the swarms of bugs. I had to keep my mouth shut for a good portion or I'd be getting extra protein that I didn't really want. I had my headphones on playing random music which helped as well. When I hit around 8 miles, an album of dance/trance/etheral just ended and I was thinking that while the music is good and actually at a good pace it would be nice to have something a bit more poppy. So somehow Miley Cyrus's 'Party in the USA' came on, and as much as I'm embarrassed to admit this, it actually helped me pull through the last couple of miles. Then after that some Air Supply came on which also helped :)

So after it was all said and done, my feet are fine, but my right knee is kind of sore. Reading up on it, it sounds like I just have to do a few exercises to help prevent that in the future. I'm going to take today off from running and possibly tomorrow depending on how I feel. I guess if I can eat McDonald's prior to running, I should be okay eating just about anything.

EDIT. I forgot to mention, I used my new heart rate monitor, and that was great. I was able to keep my pulse between 180-190 pretty the whole time and I finished earlier than I thought I would.

-d

Last edited by darryl on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:07 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
I'll be honest; I can't run worth crap (after about 300 yards, I get a searing pain in my abdomen, and I have to place my arms behind my head to breathe, and I pretty much have to walk from there on), but I greatly admire people who can run marathons, however I can ride a bicycle for miles and miles and miles at a time without stopping. It's a lot faster than running, too! Maybe it's the fact that I can pedal for a while, then coast, the pedal, then coast a bit, especially on gentile hills. For the record, I'm also 290 pounds (and desperately trying to stay below 300), so I really need to hit the bicycle more often... :|

Is bicycling a good alternative for people who just can't run worth a damn? It's a pity they don't have more group bicycle rides that aren't flat-out races. There's safety in numbers, especially with all the idiot drives not paying attention on the roadways...

I can talk about bikes all day, so to avoid derailing this thread, I made a new one:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23372

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:16 pm 

Darryl, you're NUTS! Eat McDonalds? At any time? Yuck! :lol: :lol: (Ok, I'll admit, they are fantastic hangover breakfasts....)

Well done on your run. Bug has a camelback and she can wear it for about 3k and then like you ditches it-or rather, she passes it over to mom. I use a fanny pack type water bottle holder. I can adjust it so it rides low on my hips, and it doesn't bash my kidneys.

Take a look around and go to a sporting goods shop that will let you try one on and run on a treadmill. That way you can see what is comfortable for you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:59 pm 

darryl wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention earlier when Rox mentioned getting the right size bra made me think that after one run, my nipples were actually really sore and slightly bleeding. Seems odd to me that that's common with men. Anyway, I bought a new running shirt that's one of those Adidas Coolmax shirts and haven't had the problem since. Otherwise I would have had to Vaseline them or something :oops:
-d

I was going to warn you about the rubbing but after Rox's bra comment I couldn't think of a way without making it sound a little too saucy. Plasters are a good solution. Can't believe someone mentioned Vaseline on this forum without getting attacked.
As for eating while running you really don't need to. All the stuff you read is really intended for serious competitors looking to shave some seconds of their best or win gold medals. And you certainly don't need a heart rate monitor. Stay focused on your running and forget backpacks and all the other junk. Anything under about 10 miles you don't even need water. I've done two half marathons in 1hour 30mins (on a track) and never had a sip. Any further then definitely. Keep it simple and just run!

Doctor who wrote:
For a first marathon, run comfortably, strike up a conversation with the people around you
Talking while running is really bad for your breathing. Not saying you shouldn't have fun but if you hit the wall at 20 miles you're really going to regret it. For a full marathon I would advise picking someone ahead of you that seems to be running at a nice pace and focus on them. Let them lead you to the finish line.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Talking while running is really bad for your breathing. Not saying you shouldn't have fun but if you hit the wall at 20 miles you're really going to regret it. For a full marathon I would advise picking someone ahead of you that seems to be running at a nice pace and focus on them. Let them lead you to the finish line.

Your marathon experience may be different then mine, and maybe you're one of those sub 3 hour marathon runners, in which case perhaps you're right, I wouldn't know as my marathon times have ranged from 3:30 on a great day to 4:30 on a good day. I've never found talking to be "bad for my breathing." Quite the contrary, if I can carry a conversation, then that means I'm running comfortably and within my cardiopulmonary reserve. Not being able to talk is usually a sign that you may be going into oxygen debt.

Been doin' this for over 20 years, have always talked with those around me, and never ran into the wall. Usually that's a function of running too fast and beyond your endurance capacity, dressing too warm or not warm enough, or not drinking or consuming calories when you should, which wouldn't happen if you were able to talk to someone. That's also the general thinking among marathon and ultramarathon runners. I've seen two people die in a marathon, both of whom I could tell there would be trouble when they were breathing like a locomotive and barely able to gasp let alone speak! Don't worry about the breathing, that your body will take care of that just fine.

For a first time marathon, I absolutely recommend running your own race, and not the guy's in front of you who may have a much different training base. Unless of course it's his first marathon too, then say hi, strike up a conversation, and talk long enough to forget what mile you're on :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 am 

Attachment:
pre-race hand.jpg
pre-race hand.jpg [ 76.07 KiB | Viewed 3638 times ]

Last Sunday I did another 10k and wanted to be a bit faster than I have been. To get the 1:10 I wanted I needed to do 7minutes per k. That bit of marker helped immensely.

And the watch? It's my Polar that I got about 7 years ago. Yes, it's a heart rate monitor and yes I do use it. My average last race was 171bpm, the high was 191. I was pushing my max, and I chose to purchase one because I have no problem talking when working that hard. I'm used to doing it. But I also know it's not so good for me so I keep an eye on where I'm at and slow down when I see it creeping up. (I've very low blood pressure and for some reason, just can't sense when I'm pushing myself too hard)

But I also agree with Tony, it's just an expensive toy for the most part. We aren't professionals, so unless you are looking to see distance, or calories, or split times or any of those other fancy things the watches do, there's no reason to spend so much money on them. (Mine was around US$500 when I got it. And it was also shopping therapy. One of my co-workers really made my blood boil, and buying this was just what I needed to calm down. :roll: I know they have come down in price since then though)

Enjoy the run, have fun with it. That's all that really matters. Isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 pm 

I actually had a couple of reasons for having McDonald's prior to running. I wanted to load up on some electrolytes - the french fries are loaded with potassium, everything else sodium, and the cheese has calcium. The other reason was that if I could eat McDonald's prior to running, I probably don't have to worry too much about what I eat.

The heart monitor was only $50 bucks or so and it keeps track of distances and speed and all that stuff, so I figured that if I'm out of town or something, I could still easily keep track of my distance. It was nice knowing that my heart rate was right where I wanted it to be and I could adjust easy enough. I tend to have a very high heart rate and it kind of worries me, so this helps. Fortunately with all of this running I'm doing, my resting rate is definately decreasing. It was close to 80/min now it's around 65 or so. I'm guessing come June it will be below 60.

I plan on going back to the running store where I got my shoes and looking into something to hold water. The salesman was awesome and got me great shoes as far as I can tell. So hopefully he can find something to hold my water that won't annoy me. They do have a treadmill and make you run on it (which really is the only way).

As for talking during running the races, I figure if people chat up with me, I'll try to talk, but if it's too tough I'll just be polite and give short answers or whatever. Interestingly on the treadmill I think it's harder to talk than just out and about.

For pacing during the marathon, I may sign up for following a pacing team in which if you follow them, you will end the race two minutes before that time. So if I were to sign up for a 4:28:00, the would theoretically cross the finish line at 4:28:00 However, I may or may not follow depending on weather, how I'm doing, etc. For the half marathon, I just plan on keeping my heart rate between 180-190 and I'll finish around 2:15 or so.

Anyway, back to work.

-d

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:54 pm 

BUMP!

Yesterday I completed my first half marathon (and my first organized race since being on track in highschool). It was the Wisconsin Cheese marathon in Kenosha. http://wisconsinmarathon.com/
I completed it without much trouble. My feet started to getting tired around 10 miles, but it was more as though I had been on my feet all day. Other than that, the actual running part wasn't too big of a deal.

When getting there, there was tons of car traffic and we had to park about a mile away. So with 20 minutes before the start of the race, I really had to go to the bathroom and had to walk briskly to get to the start line. I managed to get there before the start, but I forgot safety pins to hold my number up and ended up putting it in my pocket. The lines for the bathrooms were way too long, so I just held it in. Around mile 9, there was a bathroom with no line, so I ran in and out and it didn't slow me down a whole lot fortunately.
The signs people put up are hilarious. One that stood out was a little boy holding up a sign that said something like "In my mind, you are all Kenyans". And another one said "Sarah, it's okay if you poop your pants"
I thought the coolest part was when approaching the finish line, they actually announced my name and where I was from. I guess the chip on your number tag is an RFID, so they can sense when you are coming and the announcer person announces it too. He was incredibly good and pronouncing peoples names.
After the race, when I started to cool off, it was cold and rainy and I started freezing. I couldn't find my wife, so I borrowed someone's cell phone, managed to call her, then had a cold long walk back to the car where I could change. Then we went back and I had my beer and brat and a piece of cheese which is apparently standard after running in Wisconsin.

Anyway, I ended up with a chip time of 2:16:40 and I was 1559 out of 2415

I'm thinking I'll do a 16-17 mile run in a week or two, and then a 20 mile run a week or two after that, then I'll have the marathon in mid June. Right now, surprisingly, I'm not all that sore. Unfortunately it's pouring right now, otherwise I'd go in the hot tub.

-d

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:17 pm 

Hey! I've never seen this topic before! I ran a marathon this last November after 18 weeks of training! :mrgreen:

It was pretty terrible though, as it rained for 4 hours and was maybe 5 degrees Celsius the entire time. :|
I hope to run another one soon though and have a better experience, I do really love running!

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 pm 

Well done Darryl! I'm envious of you getting the cheese! :lol: The beer? That's a given, but the cheese! And adding a Brat to it? Oh take me home!

Do keep us posted on your next run. It is so exciting to here about accomplishments other than a great time on solving a cube...

Last month, I 'ran along' with another TP member as he ran Boston. That was a real treat for me as well. I just saw someones brother got his 5th marathon medal...And I sit here stuck in the heat and humidity.. The most we can get in now seems to be around 8-10k. I thought I owned my lungs again after the smoking cessation, but the humidity has made me rethink that. Even at 5 a.m. we are up to 90%. So next big long run you have, think of me while you are out there. I'm really envious now!

Katherine and a cousin and I are running a 3k fun run on Mother's day, and I'm trying to sign her and dad up for the Olympic day 5k run in June (I'll be doing my first 1/2 marathon that day and hope to just cross the finish line-Your time was pretty fantastic too!)

I just read back to your earlier post. If you can go run along the waterfront for a bit. I see you're from Chicago so I'm thinking Lake Shore Drive Up on the Northern side where it's a bit more windy (up by The golf course if they still let people run that bit). I did a harbour front run in April and while the wind was great to cool me down, it was horrid for slowing me down at the same time. (Listen to Miss she doesn't know a darned thing :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Oh, and do tell, how did the nipples do? Did they survive?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:05 am 

Thanks for the encouragement. I was pretty happy with my time, although I was really hoping for 2:11:00 which would have been exactly 10 minutes per mile. In my division, I was actually way at the bottom. Something 130 out of 155. I tried to not let it bother my when the overweight 55 year old ladies were passing me like it was no big deal. Really though I'm just glad I was able to sprint to the finish line when I saw it. I probably passed five or six people doing that.

I haven't run by LSD yet. It's a pain to find parking there and I can't just jog there. There's a nice path by me that's about a mile and a half jog to get to and if I take it all the way to the Botanical Gardens and back home, it's just about a full marathon. So I've been doing portions of that.

As for my nipples, I was fine up until later in the day when my left one was sore and I noticed a scab on it. Next time I'll Vaseline them up. I thought with my fancy running shirt they wouldn't be bothered, but I think because it was so cold they were poking a bit more than normal :D

-d

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:32 pm 

UPDATE:

Sunday I was up in Northern Minnesota. It was 46°F (~8°C). In the meantime down here in Chicago, it was about 95°F (35°C). I went for a jog along the Munger Trail while my wife road her new bike. The deal was that I would run 9 miles (~14.5km) out, call her and let her know to turn around and I would do the same. I would do a total of 18 miles and she would hit somewhere around 40.

This was my worst run so far :( . I made it out with no problem, called the wife. I ran another 4 miles or so heading back, walked a bit while drinking my third of four water bottles, then started to run again and YIKES my left knee was in really a lot of pain, so I walked for a while and started to run again. Now my leg muscles were cramping up. So I walked until I got to a bridge. I used the bridge to help stretch. The stretching felt really good.

So I started to run some more. I couldn’t get much more than a quarter mile and the cramping up started again. I figured that maybe I was kind of low on electrolytes so I ate one of my gels and drank some of my last water. It helped moderately, but I still couldn’t run much more than a quarter mile at a time. So I ended up walking most of the way back.
I was patiently waiting for my wife to pass me since theoretically if I was jogging the whole way, we would meet at the same time. It wasn’t until I was at 1.5 miles left that she caught up to me. She was in really bad shape too. I guess on the way out, the wind was at our backs and on the way back in, the cold wind was taking its toll on her.

So we both essentially walked back to the car. I started getting really cold and hypothermia probably set in. I was shaking a lot more than I normally do. I managed to change clothes and we went to a local pub and I got some yummy salmon chowder and warmed up a bit.
The marathon is in 3 weeks and I think I need to strengthen my knees quite a bit. I will set up an appointment with a trainer and see what he thinks. I know I have to do a bunch of squats at the very least.

At this point though, I just want to finish the marathon with an official time which means I have to finish in under 7 hours. Even if I run the first half and walk the second half, I’ll still finish in time, but I’m hoping to get under 5.

-d

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:42 pm 

darryl wrote:
This was my worst run so far

Do NOT let that get you down. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out for a run and couldn't get out of my own way! However, it's not really about how fast you ran, but the fact that you were out there slugging it out which actually contributed immensely to your training. You're basically instructing your muscles on what to do in the worst of situations, such as cramping, hypothermia, exhaustion, etc.
The fact that you were able to get through 18 miles whether by running, walking, crawling, or hobbling on one leg, you still did it, which means you'll be fine for the marathon.
At this point, finishing is not so much physical, but mental. And believe me, one thing you have to be if you want to run a marathon is mental :)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 pm 

You will do a fantastic job of it darryl! Even if you walk half, you finished and that is a lot more than most can say.
I can't wait to hear that you managed to finish the whole thing (whether walking or running). Keep us posted. And do be careful of too much of that cold stuff. It's not good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:03 pm 

Well, I finished the marathon and lived to tell about it! My chip time was 4:55:40, so I somehow managed to beat my sort of loose goal of 5 hours.
Here are some pictures and more stats on my time:
http://tinyurl.com/marathondarryl
http://www.mtecresults.com/runner/show? ... 4&rid=3210

Overall, I'm in better shape than I thought I would be. I didn't pull any muscles or get any blisters or anything. I'm still sore, but it will heal in a few days. I'm proud to say that my resting heart rate is now below 60 (for now). Despite the Vaseline, my left nipple bled fairly bad. For the first time, I had a bit of chaffing with my legs, but it's already healed.

Around mile 21 or so my calves cramped up like crazy to the point that I had to walk. In front of a Walgreen's someone had a popcorn machine. I noticed there was a canister of salt there. So I stopped and opened the canister, poured some salt in my hand and swallowed it. Within about 5 minutes, my cramping went away and I was able to shuffle my way to the finish line. I thought my potassium was fine because I had been eating bananas and oranges, so I figured the cramps were due to a lack of sodium. I guess I was right.

Too many other details to mention. Lots of crowd people cheering us on, lots of funny posters - a few of them said something to the effect of "This is the worst parade ever, where are the floats?" Shortly after crossing the finish line, I felt super emotional and almost broke down and cried. That was probably just me needing more electrolytes and food.

I don't think I'll do any more full marathons, but I would definitely consider doing some more halves and possibly a triathlon if I can ever swim with any sort of efficiency. Now that I'm done, I'll probably jog just a couple times a week for a couple miles or so.

-d

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:34 am 

Wow Darryl! Well done! I'm impressed by all except the bloody nipples. What's up with that? :lol: :lol:

I think the crying is fantastic! Really, I do. The emotional rush when I finish one of my little 10k's causes me to do the same thing.

Don't give up! You've made it this far, keep going. It's great exercise (says she who has gotten back into a gym with some REAL machines).

The nipples, I just don't get the nipples......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 am 

As a part of my mid-life crisis this Sunday I will be running my first 1/2 marathon. Here's hoping I survive and if I do, manage to cross the finish line in less than 3 hours. (Don't worry Darryl, I'm definitely certain I won't run it anywhere near your time!) I'll post on Monday if I survive. :lol: :lol:

And one of our other puzzlers is about to go over the deep end with one heck of a tough 100 this weekend as well. Here's hoping he makes his wished for time! Good luck sir!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:39 pm 

Best of luck on the 1/2!
You'll do fine. If Tony can run one without even having any water, you should do good. That and didn't you quit smoking? That should help. Funny story about the marathon. Right around when I was cramping up, a drunk guy cheering people on offered me a drag of his cigarette. It was tempting because I could say I had a drag while running a marthaon, but since I've never smoked a cig in my life, I opted to pass.
Good luck again!

-d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 pm 

Managed to finish with a clock time of 2:49! Shameful I know. But I blame mother nature. I was running on this wood covered road and could see a bit of light ahead. As I ran into the light I was awestruck. The water the mountains...I can't even begin to describe what I saw. And then I did something I've not done before. I stopped running. I took out my phone and I just started snapping photos. The more I ran, the more beautiful the scenery. The more I took photos. I'd bet I lost at a minimum 15 minutes just snapping away.

I have this 10k vomit thing and nice we get that out of our system we are just fine. I really didn't feel much painwhile running but now that I'm sitting waiting for my flight to be called my ankle is killing me and I won't even tell you about my bum! I sweated buckets out there. It was the hottest 12 c I have ever experienced. So much so that im burned. The hotel very nicely gave me a late checkout so I could shower and change.

Funny story. While lining up I had a guy ask me if I really ran the clear water bay race. (It's a killer 10k in HK. The first gill is only 1/2 k but it is straight up. There are 5 on that short course that are around a 500 m elevation and since it's an out and back you get a real workout.) turns out he's a law professor at my uni and he was in Vancouver just for the run as well. Small world ha.

And Bob, I think with those views you were crazy to leave

Oh, and for the record my breasts didn't bleed. (what's up with that? Really. )

All in all it was wonderful fun and I'd do it again. Although I'd give myself a full days rest rather than flying out right away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:13 pm 

Congrats!! considering the 15 minutes of picture taking, your time is good. What were you doing with a camera anyway? I guess people run with phones these days :)

So I just realized I turned into one of those running people. I'm here in Las Vegas for work right now. I woke up around 7:30 and couldn't sleep anymore (I didn't have anything until the afternoon and normally I'd sleep as late as possible) so I jogged along the strip. There were actually quite a few other people out there too and it's really not that hot until 10:00 AM or so. So I went from the Flamingo to Mandalay Bay and back.
Anyway, back to work emails.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm 

Congrats to all!

Less than 2 years ago I limped across the finish line of my first Marathon, my knees hurting so bad I could barely bend them. For some odd reason I wanted to keep running (after a bit of recovery...). The next year I ran a 50k through the mountains, and I am currently training up for my third Marathon, and looking to slash my previous times. It is fun, and strangely addictive... :o

Adam

p.s. Rox, the bloody nipples are a guy thing. That soft shirt is not so soft after it rubs against a sensitive spot for 3-4 hours... *ouch* Women are well protected with a sports bra.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 am 

Then you all need to get some good bras :lol:

I'm in Ottawa now and first thing we did was go for a little jog. Sadly I did something to my left ankle. A bit swollen and hot so I had a nice walk instead. My 6:15 start can be chalked up to unending jet lag.

The camera? On my phone. I like to map my routes with run keeper. It's got a nice little camera function. I'll load a photo of the beauty that stopped me when I get home. This uni doesn't like my computer. I can't seem to get Internet on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:30 pm 

I'll have to look into Run Keeper. I put map my run on my phone, but haven't really used it or anything. Really, I would like an app that can trace where I've gone using the GPS and figure out average speeds and total distances and stuff.

Hopefully your ankle heals soon!

-d