Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mini Ghost Cube
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:16 pm 

Finally got around to starting some of my own mods, first of which (or I should say first that will be completed) is my little ghost cube made from a keychain Rubik's Cube. I did my best to recycle everything as a means of extending the pieces rather than using epoxy putty or plastic sheeting, although in some very places I had to use epoxy because the area was too small for anything else. The only pic I've taken so far was when I first began it. It has progressed since then and looks much cleaner (I know it kind of looks like a pile of crap in these pictures). I'll try to get a current pic up soon. Let me know what you guys think. :D

Attachments:
IMG_6128.JPG
IMG_6128.JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 3176 times ]
IMG_6127.JPG
IMG_6127.JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 3176 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mini Ghost Cube
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:56 pm 

All nice and cube shaped now. Going to give it a few nice thick coats of black paint sometime later. I'm quite proud of how it's turning out. 8-)

Attachments:
IMG_6228.JPG
IMG_6228.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 3152 times ]
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6226.JPG [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 3152 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 am 

Wow. That is pretty professional looking for a first mod. Nice job! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:23 am 

So far so good looking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm 

Got it all painted. Now just waiting on the vinyl sheet from Cubesmith. :) By the way, when solved in its cube shape it's about three cubic centimeters.
(And those smudges on my computer are not from the puzzle)

Attachments:
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 3011 times ]
IMG_6235.JPG
IMG_6235.JPG [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 3011 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 am 

Even better now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm 

This is looking great! can't wait to see it stickered! are you going to make it 1 color, or 6 colors?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:27 am 

Planning all white stickers. I solved it a few times already to break it in and it's a lot of fun using the shape of the pieces to figure it out instead of colors, a la the Bump Cube and the Golden Cube.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:41 pm 

Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
Planning all white stickers. I solved it a few times already to break it in and it's a lot of fun using the shape of the pieces to figure it out instead of colors, a la the Bump Cube and the Golden Cube.

the gold or bronze color stickers would make the puzzle more attractive, so I recommend these color :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:02 pm 

Too bad I already ordered the white vinyl sheet. I think I prefer using the white anyway though, seeing as those metallic colors have already been used for different puzzles. And this is a Ghost Cube after all. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:00 am 

It doesn't look like a Ghost Cube to me. :) How did you truncate it? Nicely done! I always check this thread, but now is the only time that I can post a reply. I want to see it stickered. :D

FB Account
Puzzle Lust
Youtube Account

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:48 am 

I'm sure every Ghost Cube is probably unique unto itself by the nature of the puzzle. As for this one, if you look close you can probably see the centers on the half-twisted faces are slightly off-centered from the corners they're meant to be aligned with, which was just an unintentional biff as I was cutting it down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 am 

The ghost cube is one of my favorite puzzles, especially with the white stickers. Congrats on making it look so professional!

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:15 am 

That looks really nice, I can't wait to see it with stickers.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 pm 

Sweet! Have you got a tutorial on how to make it? I would like a Ghost Cube :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 pm 

Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting on cubesmith to ship out my vinyl... but in the mean time I gave the puzzle another coat of the same flat black and then another of semi-gloss, which gives it a nice, not too shiny, finish. Hopefully I can get it stickered soon.

misterchris wrote:
Sweet! Have you got a tutorial on how to make it? I would like a Ghost Cube :mrgreen:

Well maybe you'd buy this one when it's all done. :P

I don't really have a tutorial per se, but I can tell you how I did it. First I filled all the pieces with epoxy putty. One side I twisted 45°, halfway between a full turn. The opposite side I turned only half of that, that way each piece is unique. I cut it down using a bandsaw, trying to align the original centers of the turned faces with opposite corners of a "new" cube instead. I made sure not to cut too shallow to allow some working room because I'd be extending the necessary pieces, that way I wouldn't come up short and have to build it back up again. So all that resulted in the first 2 pictures you see. Then I extended the cut down pieces using some of the scraps from when I first cut it down and also pieces of an extra keychain cube. I smoothed it out with more epoxy, including the little gaps on the outside of the pieces where the cubies are rounded on the edges. Then I cut it all down to the correct size and sanded it to get everything even. That's then the second set of 2 pics. Then obviously all I did was spray paint it black.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:06 pm 

Modern-Day Warrior wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting on cubesmith to ship out my vinyl... but in the mean time I gave the puzzle another coat of the same flat black and then another of semi-gloss, which gives it a nice, not too shiny, finish. Hopefully I can get it stickered soon.

misterchris wrote:

Well maybe you'd buy this one when it's all done. :P

I don't really have a tutorial per se, but I can tell you how I did it. First I filled all the pieces with epoxy putty. One side I twisted 45°, halfway between a full turn. The opposite side I turned only half of that, that way each piece is unique. I cut it down using a bandsaw, trying to align the original centers of the turned faces with opposite corners of a "new" cube instead. I made sure not to cut too shallow to allow some working room because I'd be extending the necessary pieces, that way I wouldn't come up short and have to build it back up again. So all that resulted in the first 2 pictures you see. Then I extended the cut down pieces using some of the scraps from when I first cut it down and also pieces of an extra keychain cube. I smoothed it out with more epoxy, including the little gaps on the outside of the pieces where the cubies are rounded on the edges. Then I cut it all down to the correct size and sanded it to get everything even. That's then the second set of 2 pics. Then obviously all I did was spray paint it black.

Ok! Can you make more pictures the next time you build one? And for how many do you sell the mini version?