Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clockwork Angels
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 pm 

So if some of you couldn't tell from my username, I am a huge fan of Rush. A huuuuge fan. Their new album is going to be released next Tuesday, and those in Europe have apparently already received their pre-ordered copies, meaning of course the whole album is floating through the virtual sea of the internet already! But i'm sticking it out and waiting for when it's officially released. Any other RUSH fans lurking around here?

Post subject: Re: Clockwork Angels
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:27 pm 

I've only got one LP (vinyl) by Rush, Exit Stage Left. I haven't listened to it in 30 years!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm 

I'm listening to CA on Grooveshark right now. It's better than S&A.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:12 pm 

I definitely could tell by your username that you were a Rush fan. :-)

I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be. But I still listen to them a lot. My favorite Rush time period was their work from 1974 up to 1982. After 'Signals' I had a harder time getting into their music. But around the mid 1990's I started listening to their newer style, and found a whole new appreciation for the level they had progressed to. I hated 'Power Windows' when it came out, but after giving it another listen, I found it to be an extremely catchy and interesting album! It took me a while to understand that they're both a technically *progressive* band, as well as a band that *progresses* their music to another level of style and experimentation with each album.

Have you checked out their latest documentary DVDs? 'Beyond the Lighted Stage' gave a good insight into the history of the band, while 'Rush: Classic Albums - 2112/Moving Pictures' went into some interesting detail of those 2 pinnacle albums. I even watched all 3 disks of Neil's 'Taking Center Stage' - it's a great DVD that gives some fascinating detail behind Neil's style in both drumming and lyric writing. Although, drummers will probably get more enjoyment out of it! ;-)

I'm curious to know what everyones favorite album (or I guess I should say CD) is? My favorite is 'Hemispheres'.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:38 pm 

I tend to hear that a lot about their era after Signals, particularly with Hold You Fire being one of their worst albums (Not that I agree!). But you're right about their progressive element. It's definitely something that has kept them in top musical shape for so long, always on the search for the (I think as Geddy puts it) the "better Rush."

I do have all those documentaries, and definitely agree with what you say about all three. I had known very little about Rush's history before watching Beyond the Lighted Stage, also about the history and composition that went into 2112 and Moving Pictures. I'm no drummer either, but Taking Center Stage is phenomenal to just watch Neil's technique and listen to him talking about the various inspirations to his drumming and lyric writing.

I could never pick a favorite album, I don't think. I love their epic era, with the Fountain of Lamneth and 2112, Cygnus X-1, etc... And even though most people think of '2112' as their breakthrough album, I'd say they really "arrive" as a band with 'Hemispheres' and especially 'Permanent Waves'. And of course 'Moving Pictures' is timeless. I've actually started going through every album as a build-up to the release of 'Clockwork Angels' and right now I'm on 'Grace Under Pressure', another phenomenal piece of work. It's hard to pin down a favorite when (I think) every album is such a unique masterpiece. Some days I'll get stuck to listening to one particular album and think it's their greatest, and then I'll pick up another and be blown away all over again. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm 

I have to agree - each album is a masterpiece in itself, so it is hard to pick a favorite! :-)

It's interesting you mentioned 'Hold Your Fire' as one that many consider their worst. I still remember buying that tape, the very day it hit the stores. For some reason, I enjoyed listening to it, even though I hated the direction they were going at that time. There was something different about their style on it, and I found it quite catchy.

Now you're making me want to do the same, and start listening to Rush from the beginning, on up to 'Clockwork Angels'! ;-)

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 am 

Picked it up yesterday with a friend and listened to it all the way through several times. I just...