Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: 6 the gear
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:52 pm 

Hi guys!

I really like this puzzle. I think its is just a concept, but it looks awesome and very original. It certainly is difficult. On the surface it is simple looking, but the internal mechanism is quite sophisticated. If this puzzle is sold, I'm the first one to buy it. Here is the video to see it in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKQUVXK ... ature=plcp

Attachments:
6th gear 1.jpg
6th gear 1.jpg [ 53.32 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]
6th gear 2.jpg
6th gear 2.jpg [ 139.91 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]
6th gear 3.jpg
6th gear 3.jpg [ 143.38 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]
6th gear 4.jpg
6th gear 4.jpg [ 127.08 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]
6th gear 5.jpg
6th gear 5.jpg [ 124.49 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]
6th gear 6.jpg
6th gear 6.jpg [ 132.52 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]
6th gear 7.jpg
6th gear 7.jpg [ 116.68 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]
6th gear 8.jpg
6th gear 8.jpg [ 220.88 KiB | Viewed 4629 times ]

Post subject: Re: 6 the gear
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:00 pm 

It's not going to be mass produced. I only know of one puzzle of theirs which a physical copy was made of. They say they're the Number One Puzzle Design Studio, but have yet to live up to it. All they do is spew out these pretty 'proof of concept' designs and then bitch and whine at anyone who questions their position as Number One Puzzle Design Studio.

Don't bank on it being produced. They've got many, many more puzzles that they claim they're going to make, or at least own the right of the concept.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:34 pm 

Let's bypass the issues with this designer at the moment... this puzzle design looks interesting. However I must confess I don't understand what the goal is. I watched the video and every state of this puzzle looks totally scrambled to me. Considering the face centers can just be rotated you can't reach a state where the colors of the face center align with the corner colors. I guess knowing that the corner colors can't be a part of the puzzle the goal must be to match edge colors between neighboring faces. Still even in that state the puzzle appears rather scrambled to me.

My advice to the designer... side step the ego. Prototype a few of your designs on Shapeways and join in on the fun. Considering the work you've put into making these designs and animations I'd think you'd want to do something with them.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:47 pm 

Anyone who thinks "petergr" isn't just a puppet account for George Dvorak / inzanethingz is inZane. Stop feeding the troll. Eventually he'll give up posting here and go away.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:54 pm 

My guess for the solved state is to have matching colors on each edge. The coloring scheme is like that probably to make deciphering the solved state a puzzle itself (kind of like some sticker/shapemods on twistypuzzles). Vaguely reminds me of a Gear Shift.

An interesting variant on this might be that of two opposite corners, one is meshing with the face gears and the other isn't, which could be toggled.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:43 pm 

did we not literally just have some stupid post like this a week or so ago?
I have to agree with bmenrigh, just ignore him/her and they'll go away

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:08 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
Stop feeding the troll.

Come now, trolls need to eat too. :lol: :lol:

It seems as though some of this persons puzzles have come to fruition. I sat and watch many of what he has up on his website today to see if they are all just copies of other peoples work or ideas of his own. Um. No comment. However, there is one video that does show physical form of three different puzzles (s)he has created. So the comment about none being made is unjustified.

My own thoughts on this are not fit for publication. So what I will do instead is ask that we simply let this thread die a death and drop to the bottom of the page never to resurface. If not, I'll have to lock it and I really don't want to do that, just in case the designer from "the world's number 1 design studio" actually makes a working prototype.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:10 pm 

Excuse me mr. mitchblahman, what was so stupid about my post ?
Discussing & letting the community know of new puzzles is stupid ?
I thought that was the purpose of this forum. I am a bit disappointed by the tone of your post mr. mitchblahman.
And BTW, I will not go away. I don't have to. As you can see, some members such as Carl and others, are genuinely interested in puzzles, rather than putting someone down for no reason whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:30 pm 

You have yet to live up to your claims as to being the Number One Puzzle Design Studio, with yet only one design made into a physical copy. Furthermore, you claim to be a normal puzzler who "happened" to stumble across these puzzles on YouTube (funnily enough, all from the same "designer"). You then later attempt to justify yourself by attacking others (such as Greg a few months back).

If you are actually not a puppet account for Inzane Thingz, then could you stop posting these until actual copies of the puzzles exist? If you are a puppet account, then don't moan at others who are moaning at you for spewing out all these designs with a load of copyright slapped on top. We're not all out to knock off your designs.

Live up to your title as the number one design studio, and make some actual puzzles! These pretty little animations don't cut it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:33 pm 

<edit> Oops, I just posted after Luke.</edit>

Fair point petergr, but the "Number One Puzzle Design Studio" announces many puzzles, but actually produces few. As many TP forums members know, creating a 3D design and actually making it work, especially in mass-production, are two very different things. As Carl says, on this forum you must demonstrate a real working prototype before the puzzle will be taken seriously, that's just the way we work.

Take this design (which looks very accomplished), make it, build it, show us a video of it working. Then we may be impressed.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 pm 

I know Rox said we should let this thread die, but I have an honest question about the puzzle, which I think should be allowed.
It looks like all the gears are connected, wouldn’t that make this puzzle trivial?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:52 pm 

No, the sophisticated mechanism is that you have to push the corner knob in to make the gear mesh.

Ideas are one thing, execution is another. Here's an exaggerated example:
"I have this great idea, it's called World Peace. You know, people are nice to each other and all. Obviously this makes me The Best Person Ever To Exist. Why? I got the idea, so I should get the credit for it."

I'll try to stop now.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 am 

I think all has been said that needs to be said now "mr. petergr"

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:08 am 

Yeah I can beat Federer single handedly at tennis. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:13 am 

Gentlemen,

Let's not jump to the conclusion that petergr is affiliated with the inzane-thingz-com forum member.
There is no offense in commenting on that video nor interest in those designs.

As it happens, this forum frowns upon the behavior of that designer and what he has in the past posted here (much deleted) and on his web site.

There is also no offense in members voicing their opinion of that designer and his work (or lack of physical expression of that work), as long as there is no undue leap to associate it with petergr.

petergr: Given the history (again, much of which is deleted) of that member and your pointing out (with lavish praise) two of his designs, perhaps you can understand some thought you might be a front for that member to push his designs on this forum. If this is not the case I'm sure we can all learn from the situation and assume it won't happen again. If it is the case, you can expect the forum staff will deal with it appropriately.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:33 am 

Hello Dave,

Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt.
It may interest you to know that I have recently been contacted by TwistyPuzzles.com Forum Admins, admin@twistypuzzles,com.
We have exchanged 3 emails all together, and I believe the admin is satisfied as to my Identity.
Personally, I have nothing to hide, and I would not mind publishing the whole email exchange for the benefit of the members, but since these were private emails, I have no right to publish the admin's messages without permission.

I have been following this designer's work with interest for a while. Needles to say, I think there is something there.
I haven't seen any posts from this guy in the forum, judging by the sentiment here, it seems that some folks have a bone to pick with him. I don't know the history.. I am just assuming that he has been banned.

Dave, you seem to be fair and even handed in your message, yet at the end you say "..assume it won't happen again."
So, basically you are saying that if this designer comes up with something interesting and innovative, You expect me to Not to bring that to the communities's attention.

ps. If you have the time, perhaps you can enlighten me, and others, what he did to be frowned upon.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:01 am 

The reason why he is frowned upon is because he makes these pretty images, but has yet to show that any of them can work. And to follow on from that, he claims that Inzane Thingz is the "Number One Puzzle Design Studio". Okay, he does designing, that is true, but he seems to be expecting more respect than what he deserves.

To top it all off, he then attacks others who question why his designs seem to be pretty much copies of others' work, which is quite funny, seeing as he has copyright slapped onto anything he has designed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:25 pm 

petergr wrote:
Dave, you seem to be fair and even handed in your message, yet at the end you say "..assume it won't happen again."
So, basically you are saying that if this designer comes up with something interesting and innovative, You expect me to Not to bring that to the communities's attention.

I think the point is that you shouldn't gush so much that people assume you're a sock puppet.

The person in question would be welcomed as a member of our forum if he were willing to participate with a modicum of respect for others, which he hasn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:09 am 

petergr wrote:
The context of that statement was that "we can all learn from the situation" not "you should learn". We includes you, and I take it you have learned a bit about this designer (more below). I hope others have learned not to jump to conclusions, even when on first glance it did seem quite likely you were this designer under a different name.
petergr wrote:
ps. If you have the time, perhaps you can enlighten me, and others, what he did to be frowned upon.
Multiple rude and offensive posts were a big problem. Theft of Intellectual Property is a problem (many of his designs are direct copies of the designs of our members, with only minor changes), infringement of copyright and trademark is a problem (he still uses trademarked names), and very offensive statements against our members are still on his website last time I checked, and he refused to remove them when linking to his site.

This member was not permanently banned from our forum, but his posts were removed and/or edited to meet our guidelines. He was moved to a restricted group where his posts need to be approved by a moderator before they are seen by others. To the extent he chooses to engage in respectful discourse, his posts are not restricted.

Be aware if you post links to his site, you may violate our KO policy. It would be best if you checked with a Moderator (katsmom) or Admin (DLitwin) by PM before doing so.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:15 pm 

Hmmm, theft of intellectual property?
Those are pretty strong accusations.
I haven't found any proof of that.
In some of the videos from this designer
I see note that he was inspired by so and so.
I'm sorry. I have seen remotely similar designs working
on different principle. To me, that's original work.
(compared to other designers in this forum).

And BTW, I see the "Some New Mixup Cubes (designed by WitEden)"
yet nobody is upset or criticizing the design by challenging the author
to make the real thing.
I just think that some even-handedness would be a welcomed thing.

Very best regards to all

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:52 pm 

1) Obviously you think it's original since you're him...

2) Stop bumping topics a month after they are dead !!!

3) please go away from this forum.

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:53 pm 

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
1) Obviously you think it's original since you're him...

2) Stop bumping topics a month after they are dead !!!

3) please go away from this forum.

Agreed! Either admit that you make these puzzles, or get out!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 pm 

It really doesn't matter if YOU see proof. What matters is the decisions of the moderators/administrators. This has been dealt with ad nauseum in the past and we would like it to stay in the past.

As for other designs, well they don't relate to this topic and are dealt with on a case by case basis. We are overly fair here (I think) or many members would have been permanently banned already-myself included. If you have a concern about the legitimacy of someones posting of a design, please use the little icon in the lower left hand corner and report it. We will look into it for you.

It troubles me more that it took almost a month and a half to bring up your concerns petergr. That is really pushing the bump limit, and these last three posts add no value of any sort to the thread. As such I am locking the thread.

I request that another not be brought up again. This topic will not lead to a happy ending.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]