Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Signed 4Cubes relisted (again) 23rd April
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 am 

April 2012 relisting

This is from my ebay listing-
This is the first ever collaboration between Oskar van Deventer and myself and the puzzle is signed by both of us.
It is based on an idea I had and wanted to make many years ago. It was too difficult to make by hand though so I contacted CAD puzzle expert Oskar van Deventer. He improved the design and put everything on computer. We then got Shapeways to 3D print a set of masters. From these I made moulds and cast the cubies in polyurethane resin. These were then put around a 3D printed core which was too complex to mould.
The puzzle does work but there are a few negatives I should mention.
1. Unless perfectly aligned parts can clash. This doesn't affect the plastic but stickers will become damaged almost immediately. For that reason I am supplying some spares.
2. Rotational movement is a little quite stiff. Since all four cubes need to be aligned it would be no good if they were moving about freely. They need to stay where you put them. Please watch the video very carefully and you will see how I am using the table to start the big rotational moves. The flat surface ensures everything is perfectly lined up and then other moves can be made as normal.
To sum up, I really like this puzzle and it's fun to solve. You may however find it a little frustrating to use.

Not available at Shapeways.

4Cubes puzzle- 200 GBP

UK buyer- 200 GBP + 6 GBP (insured postage) = 206 GBP
European buyer- 200 GBP + 9 GBP (insured postage) = 209 GBP
Rest of World- 200 GBP + 11 GBP (insured postage) = 211 GBP

Video of prototype

Original post

Webpage

Ebay listing

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 4Cubes by Tony Fisher & Oskar van Deventer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:26 am 

Interesting...

Two questions.

(1) Since this grew from your original idea, of which you show drawings here, and Sergey Abramenkov patented this original design independently in 2010 as seen here, do you need a license or approval from him before you can sell these? I honestly don't know... just curious. Since he's said "I like that I had the same idea as famous Tony Fisher" maybe this is a non-issue but I figured it's safer to be sure then sorry. My concern isn't driven here by this sites KO policy but by patent law and I'm sure Sergey Abramenkov has a fair amount vested in this if he went to the expense to get a patent.

(2) And you probably can't answer this, but does anyone know if Sergey Abramenkov has any plans to mass produce his Octogonzo puzzle? On his I like the part about the triangle prisms actually being solvable pieces though I guess you could dye the different segments of the torus different colors on your 4Cubes puzzle and get the same effect.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Interesting...

(1) Since this grew from your original idea, of which you show drawings here, and Sergey Abramenkov patented this original design independently in 2010 as seen here, do you need a license or approval from him before you can sell these? I honestly don't know... just curious. Since he's said "I like that I had the same idea as famous Tony Fisher" maybe this is a non-issue but I figured it's safer to be sure then sorry. My concern isn't driven here by this sites KO policy but by patent law and I'm sure Sergey Abramenkov has a fair amount vested in this if he went to the expense to get a patent.

Different puzzle, different mechanism. Please don't confuse my original drawings with the final puzzle. At no time was anything copied.
Since you were the one asking for it's availability to all I look forward to your order.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Different puzzle, different mechanism.
The outward shape of the puzzle is different. But from a solving standpoint the puzzles are the same with the same pieces, if you colored your torus parts somehow. As for the mechanism I can't comment. There is a link to Sergey Abramenkov patent in the other thread so I can see his mech. To my knowledge yours hasn't been disclosed.
Tony Fisher wrote:
Please don't confuse my original drawings with the final puzzle.
Yes, but the base idea is still the same.
Tony Fisher wrote:
At no time was anything copied.
Never said anything was nor did I mean to imply such. To me its clearly a case of independent creation. But I'm not sure that is a factor in patent law. There I believe it just comes down to who files first. So I'd says its clear this isn't a KO but to me it does appear to devalue Sergey Abramenkov patent. If he's ok with it which I admit it does appear that he is then all is ok. I just wanted to make sure.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:28 pm 

Thanks for your continued interest in our puzzle. It is now also available on ebay here.

Post subject: Re: Signed 4Cubes relisted - April 2012
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:17 pm 

I have now relisted this puzzle. Details and links in the first post.

Post subject: Re: Signed 4Cubes relisted (again) 22nd April
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:28 am 

Ok, another 4Cubes is now (22nd April) available. eBay link in first post updated or click on signature pic.

Post subject: Re: Signed 4Cubes relisted (again) 23rd April
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:32 am 

4 days remaining for this BIN 30 day listing.