Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yet more speedsolving questions!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:06 pm 

Help! I've been stuck at a 30 second average for over 2 years! I have a lot of questions....

My method is Fridrich, and I'm comfortable with the last layer, although I know where I could improve here - my real problem is in F2L.

At first, I had a problem with F and B turns slowing me down. I've now gotten very comfortable with some better finger tricks for F and B faces (mostly using b turns instead) but sadly this did not improve my average.

Sometimes I can tell I'm looking ahead ok, but I still get stuck looking for edge pieces. I can see corners ok, and after the cross, I look quickly to find where the middle edges are. The problem is that I lose them after I solve a corner or two. I've tried slowing down, and I practice quite a bit - so what are your secrets!! :) Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Yet more speedsolving questions!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:27 pm 

You should be able to do your cross without having to focus on it. During this time, try and find the first edge and corner for F2L. You should be able to work out how to insert them pretty quickly, and whilst doing so, search for the next edge and corner. Then do the same procedure for the remaining F2L slots. On the last one I would suggest inserting it in a way that you're left with at least two edges orientated correctly.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:26 pm 

Good advice - it's just learning to do it that's hard I guess. Do you already have a good idea of where the pieces are going to go based on how you insert the first corner, or do you just follow them around with your eyes while you put the previous one in? I imagine a bit of both as you get better.

The reason I ask is that I can do some finger tricks pretty quickly, but in doing so, I can't follow the pieces around. I always wondered if people who look ahead already know where the pieces end up after a trick...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:40 pm 

What Luke said is great advice. the thing to do in order to track pieces (in my opinion) is to turn very smoothly, try to keep your turn speed as constant as you can. If it means you have to do one turn per second, do it. As you get better you'll be able to turn faster and still see where the pieces are. I couldn't tell you where a piece would be after an F2l algorithm, but I might know during a solve. Things like that just become subconscious. Another tip that might be helpful is to practice solving the cross blindfolded. Then, in real solves, you can look ahead in that time.

4x4:29.29/33.53

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:30 am 

Yes, that makes sense - I can already see how this will make a difference after trying this for a bit - It gives me something specific to work on which is great!

One other question - after you do the cross and then find the first corner pieces to put in - do you take time to look and see where the other corners/edges are, or do you just go ahead, and find the next ones as you are looking ahead during the first corner? I take a little time now to see where everything is, in case there is an easier one to start with, but maybe this wastes time?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 am 

Whenever I'm inserting a pair, I look for an edge and its corresponding corner. I don't work out how to solve those pair until I've properly looked at it, however you can eliminate many of the different kinds of F2L algorithms, intuitive or not, based on the sticker of the piece that is on the top face.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 am 

Luke wrote:
Whenever I'm inserting a pair, I look for an edge and its corresponding corner. I don't work out how to solve those pair until I've properly looked at it, however you can eliminate many of the different kinds of F2L algorithms, intuitive or not, based on the sticker of the piece that is on the top face.

I'm not sure I understand - Do you mean you already have an idea of how you will insert the next one (algorithm, intuitive, whatever) based on this sticker? And won't that sticker potentially change based on how you insert the pair you are working on?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:03 am 

There are many ways that the pair of corner and edge can be positioned and orientated on the cube. By seeing the top stickers, it eliminates the vast majority of F2l cases to just a few.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am 

Luke wrote:
There are many ways that the pair of corner and edge can be positioned and orientated on the cube. By seeing the top stickers, it eliminates the vast majority of F2l cases to just a few.

Thanks - makes sense! I'll report back after I've worked on this for a while - Thanks for all the advice.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:28 pm 

This is helping SO much by the way! I haven't quantified the difference yet, because it's too early to tell a difference I think - But something about the way you described looking ahead makes so much sense to me now. Also the bit about looking at the stickers - I'm trying to pay more attention to the stickers of the faces I can't see during a solve (i.e the B and sometimes D face), but keeping better track of what I've already solved helps eliminate the need to take those extra looks sometimes to find matching edge pieces. Slowing down also has helped this, and I actually have gotten faster by slowing down. It sort of blows my mind, but it is true!

Also, wasn't there a thread somewhere around here once that described the thought process of looking ahead in great detail with example solves - I can't seem to find it.