Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solving Bermuda Cubes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:16 pm 

Hi Konrad,
SmaZ made it (for $30), you can still see the signature in the first picture, although it is nearly worn off now in the size comparison picture :( . I should have covered it. I thought.. I'll just avoid touching it, but it was so tricky that I soon forgot about that idea :lol: .

It's actually smaller than I would have liked, it would be nice if it was a bit bigger, especially if you have big fingers. The size of the Diang Sheng would be nicer as a mini-puzzle, but it is cute and has a lot of bite for it's size.. And he has done a very neat professional job :D

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
size comparison.jpg
size comparison.jpg [ 202.17 KiB | Viewed 6953 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:48 am 

Last night I gave Mars a start. I used Bo Hu's simulator searching for move sequences.
This time I could use a directly matching simulated Mars :)
Thanks to marcom I have adapted the colour scheme of Bo Hu's type 13.
After finding some useful stuff, I decided to look for interesting move sequences.
I got stuck with my first try! :(
Burgo, you wrote on November 8th (page 1)
Burgo wrote:
Here are some EPSx3 2+2 corner tradeouts that I used for both puzzles:

Mars: Blue as F, Orange as U (Note- I see F normally as Green but do y2 to do these sequences).
This is the start configuration, right?
ULB<>ULF + BLD<>BRU (standard type EPSx3 2+2 swap): L1.5- U L1.5+ (F'LFL')X3 L1.5+ U' L1.5-[/quote]I translate this to Andrea's notation L' L- U L L+ (F' L F L')x3 L L+ U' L' L-
Correct so far?
If yes I get stuck after the first part L' L- U' L L+

No F turn possible!
What am I missing???

I know, this is an old post and you have probably better things in later posts. :)

If I read your setup and move sequence correctly, you might want to edit this older post.

EDIT: Maybe this works for Neptune but not for Mars? I read your post that it is the same for both.
I have not looked at Neptune. One at a time is enough for me :)
Probably the sequence for Mars should read L´L- U L' L- (F´L F L´)x3 L L+ U' L L+
The result is

EDIT2: I have screwed up the simulator pictures. Temporarily removed!
EDIT3: Pictures corrected.

EDIT4: After a few solves, my judgement is that Mars is probably a bit easier for me than Earth.
BTW, I do not use the 2-2 swap discussed above. I'm using a 3-cycle of corners. Unfortunately, I could not find a pure 3-cycle. So after building the blocks and placing the green/red edge, I place corners first, do the edges next and orientate corners last.

Last edited by Konrad on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:27 am 

Hi Konrad,

thanks for noticing that, I will go back and change it.. you actually go the same way (instead of reversing), so..

Mars: Blue as F, Orange as U (Note- I see F normally as Green but do y2 to do these sequences).
ULB<>ULF + BLD<>BRU (standard type EPSx3 2+2 swap):
L1.5- U L1.5+ (F'LFL')X3 L1.5+ U' L1.5-
should be:

(L'L-) U (L'L-) (F'LFL')X3 (LL+) U' (LL+)
ULB<>ULF + BLD<>BRU (standard type EPSx3 2+2 swap)

I hope that works now and makes sense.
Cheers,
Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:49 am 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Konrad,

...should be:

(L'L-) U (L'L-) (F'LFL')X3 (LL+) U' (LL+)
ULB<>ULF + BLD<>BRU (standard type EPSx3 2+2 swap)

Thanks Burgo, my EDIT above crossed your reply :)
Good that I made the correct conclusion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:02 am 

Hi Konrad,
I think at that time I solved Neptune the same as Mars (but with a setup: B L2 with Red F, Green U)-there's a picture of a notepad showing that, but later I got a more compatable method for Neptune. I still use the same method for Mars.

I was writing the notes as I went, it ended up a bit confusing I think.
I hope it's OK. The better methods are mostly on page 2.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:31 am 

I hava already finished the Mars Bermuda Cube and the Neptune one. :D :D :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:59 pm 

Quote:
I hava already finished the Mars Bermuda Cube and the Neptune one.
Congratulations, maybe you need another one :D .
I saw your method here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22570
I have considered this method too :lol:.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:18 pm 

Hi Bermudas,

who solved the Venus with Fisher construction? I solved it in the same way as Bermuda Venus without Fisher. The problems are the centers. The centers have 2 faces and must be orientated.

I know no sequence to orientate centers in the Venus configuration. So I began with the centers and solved it intuitively. Its possible that one edge is flipped. The other edge has an invisble flip. A flipping edge sequence changes the orientation of the centers, so it's necesary to flip a second edge ( an edge with one color) with the reverse sequence.

omg

How do you solve the Bermuda Venus Fisher ?

Cheers,
Andrea

Post subject: Bermuda simulator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:00 am 

I found that new puzzles have been added to the simulator, including the house.

I put all of them in a playable single page.

Some colors must be fixed in the html.

EDIT:
new attachment
I fixed the colors on the house, star etc., it was easy, I just removed the parameters about colors.

Attachments:
bermuda.zip [41.03 KiB]
Downloaded 146 times

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:38 pm 

Andrea wrote:
How do you solve the Bermuda Venus Fisher ?

Cheers,
Andrea
I'm using centre orientation move sequences I came across more than thirty years ago.
They turn two centres pure by 180 degrees, two centres by 90 degrees or one centre by 180 degrees. I have not used them for ages, because I found shorter ones. Those cannot be performed on Venus.
The old ones work :)
If you want I can post them later.

EDIT:
As I have no way flipping edges without impact on centres I need centre orientation in a last step quite often.
Here are my sequences anyway:
Quote:
[two centres by 90 degrees: (M' U M U')x5
two centres by 180 degrees: (M' U2 M U2)x3
one centre by 180 degrees: (R U R' U)x5
Please, remember that M turns like L in WCA
]

I have used the quote for getting a white background for the spoiler!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:46 pm 

Thank you Konrad. Because I have no cube with marked centers I used a crazy 4x4x4 and turned 2 slices together. Your sequences works fine.

I modyfied my Bermuda Venus method for Bermuda Venus Fisher. I begin with orientating all centers, but the most sequences for permuting corners and edges destroy the centerorientation. The (R U2 R' U2)x5
doesn't destroy the centers. Sometimes one center is turned 180 degrees after corner permutation.

Perhaps it's easier to orientate the centers at last step. The sequence for turning one center 180° is most important. ( This is a sequence of solving the crazy 4x4x4; I forgot this :lol: )

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 am 

My method for Venus Bermuda Fisher’s:

1. Solve Orange/Green/White triangle
2. Solve Blue:Red/Yellow/White block
3. Green/White as U, Orange as F (do setup: F’F-) and orientate remaining 2 centres (just twists, no sequences).
4. As such: do F2L on R as for Rubik’s Cube (or supercube).
5. Orientate edges: Green/Yellow as F, Green/White as U (FURU’R’F)
6. Permute 3 edges: Sune
7. Permute 3 corners: (v U v U2 v U v) -pure
8. Orientate 2 corners: Sune U2 y2 Sune-mirror U2 y2 –pure

I had PM'd Andrea with a general outline of this but I hadn't written it out in full until tonight, I got too interested in the FT Starminx.
Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
's setup.jpg
's setup.jpg [ 168.55 KiB | Viewed 6640 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:47 am 

Thanks, Burgo.
I answered with a PM. I can solve it now, but I use a different way. At moment I try the FT Starminx.
I cannot solve the ft starminx puzzle. :(

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:59 am 

You are funny sometimes. There is some complaining about not being able to solve something, and then you come up with a brilliant method :lol: . You have solved puzzles harder than the FT Starminx!
Cheers,
Burgo :D .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 am 

Perhaps you know, that the difficulty for different puzzles is different for humans.
But ok, you think so. I don't understand which brilliant methods you mean. Which puzzle is harder than ft starminx? I want solve it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:09 am 

Andrea wrote:
Perhaps you know, that the difficulty for different puzzles is different for humans.
But ok, you think so. I don't understand which brilliant methods you mean. Which puzzle is harder than ft starminx? I want solve it.
I have not checked your Bermuda videos but I would call your corner reduction method for the Crazy 3x3x3 brilliant :)
The FT Starminx is a quite different challenge, but in my judgement the harder Crazy Cubes and Minxes are harder than the FT Starminx.

You should not mix the difficulty caused by serious catches with the difficulty of a puzzle type.
I think that you have by now all necessary move sequences for the three piece types of the Starminx.
The rest is concentration and stamina!!! And you need much more of it with a catching puzzle.

I guess, if you ask Brandon he can name a few hundred puzzles in Gelatinbrain harder than the Starminx.
If you look for real puzzles instead of virtual, the Pentultimate is a good choice, if you solve it from scratch.
Currently, the Pentultimate is not yet mass-produced. When it comes out, I'll carefully watch the experiences of others before I order it :)
Again, I would bet high that TomZ's medium size Pentultimate is MUCH better!

Last edited by Konrad on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 pm 

Ok,Ok.
My individual opinion of difficulty differs. The Crazy Meg Earth, The FTO and the FT Starminx had the problem that I must use many setup moves. So I invented for Crazy Meg Earth a system solving area by area and pair corners with triangle. For FTO I found no blockbuilding system, I asked in forum.

If you would the nornal 3x3x3 Rubiks Cube not layer by layer. Instead first corners, than each edge with setup moves and commutators, then I would not like this method !

Now I completed the FT Starminx ! :lol: :D :D :D

After many many hard hours ( perhaps 5-6 h) I solved the FTSM with commutators :oops: ( variants of Burgo's Sune Antisunes) .

Brilliant I would say if someone invents a blockbuilding method for FTSM. Than only a few pieces must solved with commutator!

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:08 pm 

Hi, I hope this isn't a bad bump, I'm quite late to the party :lol:

I got my bermudas about 3 weeks ago, and they're really fun and not so hard as I expected. I bought a Venus (fishered) and Earth, which means I get a Mercury (fishered and not), a Venus (fishered or not), an Earth, a Mars, and after some restickering and reassembling, a Neptune/Jupiter, and a Saturn/Uranus.
Reconfiguration, the best thing about planet series! :D

My mars looks like this:

Attachment:
marscube.png
marscube.png [ 17.63 KiB | Viewed 6384 times ]

So far I've solved Mercury and Venus, Earth, and I'm corner orienting away from solving Mars. I guess Neptune will be easier though.

My thoughts and vague methods:
First, I learned to solve my Rubik's cube via a youtube tutorial (I couldn't figure last layer out :oops:) so I can only solve the cube layer-by-layer and I only have one set of algs :D (well, or edges first, then corners, but block building is much more efficient with bermudas). My method is mostly figuring out where I can apply my layer-by-layer algs that I know :D

Mercury is basically just a regular Rubik's Cube (especially from layer-by-layer point of view), so it wasn't really a challenge. It was a nice introduction to center orientating and the weird shapes it makes :D

Venus is really fun, and I solved it kind of intuitively. First, I solve the hypotenuse isolated blocks on red and green faces (intuitive). Then I solve the remaining 6 corners (very easy to apply corner cycling and sune-ing). Then I solve edges pretty much intuitively using the slice layer, and trying to avoid a case of two rotated centers (which I fix intuitively messing around more or less :D). One rotated center is easy to fix: edge and corner cycling isn't really limited, and sune is easy.

Earth is also fun, and a nice introduction to the limitations. For me the trick is to figure out the appropriate solving order. First I solve the white-blue and blue-yellow edges and red face, then one orange block on green hypotenuse, using intuition and sune. Then I solve green-white corner and green-white-red edge, so there's only the orange side solved. Then solve orange side with algs. For corner orienting sune, blue and red faces can be used.

On Mars, I first solve the white-blue edge followed by hypotenuse blocks. After them comes red-blue-yellow edge and red-yellow corner, leaving only one side unsolved and last layer algs can be applied (except for corner orienting, and edge orienting has to be modified :D).

The algs that I use:
edge orienting: F R U R' U' F'
edge cycling: R U R' U R U2 R'
corner cycling: U R U' L' U R' U' L
corner orienting: sune and variations (sune on one corner, then replace it with another corner and antisune)

I hope I can resist just checking the algs from this thread before coming up with my own solution :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:47 pm 

Welcome to the conversation Coaster1235,

And congratulations on your solving so far. I have recently got the Star and Barrel which I liked also.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:54 pm 

On my own, I've managed to solve the red face and the half of the green face (touching the red) of the Earth. I'm having difficulty getting anywhere from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 pm 

Hi Ben,
You mean you have completed the 2 large rectangular blocks? The general plan of attack with the Bermudas has been to complete the least accessible blocks first and then complete a section (or create a section with setups) of overlapping faces, where you have you can link some sequences to finish it off. Andrea has a good video tutorial for Earth on page 1. Let us know how you go :) . It was difficult for sure.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Ben,
You mean you have completed the 2 large rectangular blocks? The general plan of attack with the Bermudas has been to complete the least accessible blocks first and then complete a section (or create a section with setups) of overlapping faces, where you have you can link some sequences to finish it off. Andrea has a good video tutorial for Earth on page 1. Let us know how you go :) . It was difficult for sure.
Cheers,
Burgo.

I was able to get one of the edges in place but am struggling to get the 2nd in with the correct orientation to finish f2l. Andrea's videos are a bit hard to follow.

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:04 am 

I'll help you, just include a photo Ben, it saves a lot of misunderstandings :) .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:20 pm 

Here they are :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 pm 

Hi Ben,
I see what you are thinking: to use the Orange face as U.
Try Orange F, Blue U.
As a setup perform (D-)(B-)
and use the U face to `feed the F face` edges in: just make F turns to set up a target position in UF to recieve an edge from UL, do your setup and then perform: RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 and undo your setup.
If you move around the edges on F and solve 3 you can then cycle the edges on U (NB: you will have to undo your setup to rotate F).
If you notice a 2 edge parity will occur, just rotate F by 90* and continue (or you can use Andrea's parity fix).

For flipping an edge you can put the edge from RF into UL by (R U2 R' U2)X5 (the one in UR will also become comparitively flipped).

Just try any of the sequences on a normal 3x3 to see what they do.
Let us know how you go..
You will still have corners to complete.
Cheers,
Burgo.

Last edited by Burgo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:06 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Ben,
Try Orange F, Blue U.
and use the U face to `feed the F face` edges in: just make F turns to set up a target position in UF to recieve an edge from UL, do your setup and then perform: RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 and undo your setup.
If you move around the edges on F and solve 3 you can then cycle the edges on U (NB: you will have to undo your setup to rotate F).
If you notice a 2 edge parity will occur, just rotate F by 90* and continue (or you can use Andrea's parity fix).

For flipping an edge you can put the edge from RF into UL by (R U2 R' U2)X6 (the one in UR will also become comparitively flipped).

Just try any of the sequences on a normal 3x3 to see what they do.
Let us know how you go..
You will still have corners to complete.
Cheers,
Burgo.

Thanks Burgo, I was able to solve the first 2 layers.

On to the last layer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
I use White U, with red and green as R and F.

You need to use y moves to use some sequences but it works for me.

I also found a good way to permute edges on Neptune with sune and antisune but I need a picture to accompany it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:31 pm 

Quote:
Thanks Burgo, I was able to solve the first 2 layers. On to the last layer.
The method that I explained should get you through all of the edges. You should only be left with the corners on the orange face, take a look at Andrea's Part 3 video for the last 4 corners if you need help, she has a very good method.
@GoombaGeek, I don't know what you mean? I have been making the Red & Green blocks first and then conserving them.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 am 

Burgo wrote:
Quote:

How do you get edge pieces into UL to bring into UF?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 am 

Benf207 wrote:
RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 is a 3 cycle UF>UR>UL, the key is: because it's pure it does not affect the block at the back. Load UL from UF>UR> and reposition F as you go. I hope that makes sense, it's an unusual way to do it compared to other solves :) . (You could use the reverse of the sequence too if you want to be economical).

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 am 

Burgo wrote:
Benf207 wrote:
RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 is a 3 cycle UF>UR>UL, the key is: because it's pure it does not affect the block at the back. Load UL from UF>UR> and reposition F as you go. I hope that makes sense, it's an unusual way to do it compared to other solves :) . (You could use the reverse of the sequence too if you want to be economical).

Cheers,
Burgo.

Yeah, I understand this part, but I don't understand how it's used to solve the F face. I can see how it can be helpful for solving UL and UR, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:24 am 

Hi Ben,

You're basically using the U face (specifically the UL position) to solve the F face edges (specifically: the lower 3 edges on F). And then solving the U face edges (specifically the 3 front edges) after.
You are using the U face as a `holding pattern` for placing edges onto the F Face first.

So the `Orange` edges that we want to put into F need to be orientated also.. this is a bit tricky. If you look around it is fairly obvious to see edges that need orientating (obviously there will be 2 at a time). The edges will always remain in the same orientation with RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2.. So we will use: (R U2 R' U2)X5, (this will load UL from FR `and flip that edge`) the other edge it flips (at the same time) is in UR so you can load 2 edges that need flipping in FR and UR. I would first load UR and then just rotate the F face until your other edge is in FR, then perform (R U2 R' U2)X5.

Next you choose an `Orange`edge in F to use as a reference (choose a correct edge) and place the other 2 edges in F relative to that edge by using RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2.. turn F until the target position is in UF and recieve an edge from UL, and continue.

When you have 3 edges placed in F and all edges are orientated you can cycle the remaining 3 edges (in F, UL & UR) with RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 If you have a 2 edge parity, you can rotate F by 90* and replace the edges to suit it, you should be able to pick this up fairly early anyway.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Last edited by Burgo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:48 am 

Benf207 wrote:
Burgo wrote:
Hi Ben,
Try Orange F, Blue U.
....Cheers,
Burgo.

Thanks Burgo, I was able to solve the first 2 layers.

On to the last layer.

You say that you can solve the first two layers.
If your last layer is Blue on top, a solved Earth looks like this after the setup L+ (L = Orange is fishered on Earth Bermuda!) D- R- (front view left; back view right)
The four edges and four corners in the U layer that need still to be solved are shown here using purple lines

Here they are shown on a solved cube without setup moves, corners 1-4; edges a-d:
As you can see, after setup the Blue U face and the White F face can be turned without restriction.
The Red R face is somehow restricted but you can still use it to do edge orientation with the well known F U R U' R' F' or Sune R U R' U R U2 R'
I do it this way:

The 8 cubies within the purple line are building my last layer
1. Orientate edges (by F U R U' R' F' or inverse)
2. Place Edges (Sune / Antisune)
3. Place corners
4. Orientate corners (using Sune / mirrored Sune or Antisune / mirrored Antisune e.g.
F’ U2 F U F’ U F
U2
F U2 F’ U’ F U’ F’
U2

The only tricky part for me was to find a pure corner 3 cycle.
Here it is
R U R' U' R' F R (F' F) U R U' R' F' (12 moves)
The complete 14 move sequence (with the F' F included) shows better what I'm doing:
The first 8 moves permute the corners impure and the last 6 moves orientate the edges correctly again.
This is the result on a cube after setup:
And here is the result when I reverse the setup by R+ D+ L-:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:28 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Ben,

You're basically using the U face (specifically the UL position) to solve the F face edges (specifically: the lower 3 edges on F). And then solving the U face edges (specifically the 3 front edges) after.
You are using the U face as a `holding pattern` for placing edges onto the F Face first.

So the `Orange` edges that we want to put into F need to be orientated also.. this is a bit tricky. If you look around it is fairly obvious to see edges that need orientating (obviously there will be 2 at a time). The edges will always remain in the same orientation with RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2.. So we will use: (R U2 R' U2)X6, (this will load UL from FR `and flip that edge`) the other edge it flips (at the same time) is in UR so you can load 2 edges that need flipping in FR and UR. I would first load UR and then just rotate the F face until your other edge is in FR, then perform (R U2 R' U2)X6.

Next you choose an `Orange`edge in F to use as a reference (choose a correct edge) and place the other 2 edges in F relative to that edge by using RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2.. turn F until the target position is in UF and recieve an edge from UL, and continue.

When you have 3 edges placed in F and all edges are orientated you can cycle the remaining 3 edges (in F, UL & UR) with RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 If you have a 2 edge parity, you can rotate F by 90* and replace the edges to suit it, you should be able to pick this up fairly early anyway.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Okay, I was able to get all the edges placed, but all 4 of my orange edges are flipped incorrectly. I don't see what your orientation sequence achieves ((R U2 R' U2)X6) as it only appears to effect corners.

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm 

Ben, you said some posts above said you can solve two layers.
Do you still have the Orange face as your last layer?
I think you should change your approach the next time to have Blue as the last layer.
Please, have a look at my post above.

Regarding Burgo's sequence: There is a typo. Please, use ((R U2 R' U2)X5) instead of ((R U2 R' U2)X6)
With Orange = F and Blue = U you'll get on a 3x3x3
You can then do F' as setup and do a pure 3-cycle to get the orange/white edge back in another orientation (by Burgo's R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2. Reverse the setup by F and you have got the Orange / white and blue / white edges in the other orientation, everything else is unchanged. (Altogether 20 + 1 + 11 +1 = 33 moves; you can paste this into Gelatinbrain R, U'2, R', U'2, R, U'2, R', U'2, R, U'2, R', U'2, R, U'2, R', U'2, R, U'2, R', U'2, F', R, U', R, U, R, U, R, U', R', U', R'2, F)
Result on a solved 3x3x3:
I have not mentioned the Bermuda setups (e.g. F +, D-, B- with Orange = F and Blue = U)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm 

Hi Konrad and Ben,

Sorry about the typo, I just amended my posts above to prevent confusion for future readers ^^ (X6 > X5: I don't count it out in my head I watch for the restoration of the back row of U). The sequence was originally posted by Andrea. I use it pretty early to orientate `as I place`, in an intergated way.

Ben.. the reason I do it like this is for visual clarity, because I am able to solve the cube `pretty much as is` rather than solving to a `setup pattern`, which is my preference. It also allows me to complete the large red and green blocks first and not disturb them while placing and orientating edges. However it is unusual and if you prefer to see a more traditional LL, then Konrad's method might suit you more.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:19 pm 

Thanks guys, I only have corners left now on the orange side. After I complete this solve I will go ahead and try Konrad's method.

Ben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 pm 

Hi Ben,
The position is Blue F, Orange U. The setup is (U-) (B+) (D+).
To permute corners (pictured), trade out the bottom blue and red corner with an incorrect one. Sequence: (RF'R'F)X3. Then move the target position for the new corner on the red block above it and continue with that until all corners are placed. (you will also need to undo and redo the setups to reposition U).

To orientate corners the sequence is (RF'R'F)X2 or (F'RFR')X2 depending on the direction of rotation for the corner in UFR (the trick to that is that the 1st turn will be `towards the correct orientation of that corner`). F2L will look scrambled, but just replace the orientated corner with the next one using a U turn (undoing and redoing setups), and continue until all corners are orientated.

This is the method in Andrea's Video.
Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
bermuda earth corners.jpg
bermuda earth corners.jpg [ 145.23 KiB | Viewed 5937 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:54 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Ben,
The position is Blue F, Orange U. The setup is (U-) (B+) (D+).
To permute corners (pictured), trade out the bottom blue and red corner with an incorrect one. Sequence: (RF'R'F)X3. Then move the target position for the new corner on the red block above it and continue with that until all corners are placed. (you will also need to undo and redo the setups to reposition U).

To orientate corners the sequence is (RF'R'F)X2 or (F'RFR')X2 depending on the direction of rotation for the corner in UFR (the trick to that is that the 1st turn will be `towards the correct orientation of that corner`). F2L will look scrambled, but just replace the orientated corner with the next one using a U turn (undoing and redoing setups), and continue until all corners are orientated.

This is the method in Andrea's Video.
Cheers,
Burgo.

Thanks! It's now solved!

For any future solvers, here is a compiled list of the sequences used:
Bermuda Earth

White up, red left - swaps FD, FU, RU
B- L-; (F2 U F2 U') x5 ; L+ B+

White front, red right - Swaps FDR, FU, LU
D-, R-; (U' F2 U F2) x5 ; R, D

orange front, blue up. - swaps LU, FU, RU
D- B-; RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2

Edge orientation
orange front, blue up - flips FR, UR
(R U2 R' U2)X5 F' R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2 F

Blue front, orange up
Corner permutation:
U- B+ D+; (RF'R'F)X3

Blue front, orange up
Corner orientation
U- B+ D+; (R F' R' F) until corner solved

Last edited by Benf207 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm 

Congratulations Ben!
Just note that you can do the corner permutation and orientation with Orange F, Blue U (without altering the position of the cube from when you were doing edges, and using the same setups as you use for the edges). The sequences obviously use R & U now instead of F & R. I just find that a more ergonomic way to do it, but I find it harder to explain.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 am 

I recently picked up 3 Bermuda cubes, Venus, Earth and Neptune. I really enjoy solving them, but I don't think they are that difficult. I think Venus is the easiest and Earth and Neptune are harder than Venus, but I'm not sure which one I find more difficult, about the same I guess.

I solve all three of them by building blocks until one layer is left and then use Sune (R U R' U R U2 R') to cycle edges (and on Neptune also to cycle corners). On Venus and Earth I permute and orient the corners intuitively.

I'm thinking about getting Mars and Jupiter next. How difficult do you guys find them compared to Venus, Earth and Neptune?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:19 am 

Burgo wrote:
I solved them in the order Mercury (cubic), Venus (cubic), Earth, Mars, Neptune, Jupiter, Uranus, Saturn. I was happy with the order that I solved them in. But in hindsight I see opportunities to build on methods more easily. People have also asked which ones are nice if you don't want the entire series.

I would say there are a few Key puzzles, but it depends if you want `the hardest` or the `least visually confusing` etc. so I will try to explain:
The Key puzzles would be:
Venus (cubic)
Earth
Mars
Uranus
(for a good `standard range` without as many `added difficulties`).
The others build on methods derived from those but have `visually confusing`attributes or `added difficulties`, but generally work off the format of those 3 or 4.

I would say that a good solving order would be:
Mercury, Mercury (Fisher's)
Venus (cubic)
Earth
Mars
Venus (Fisher's) This is a nice format and an interesting puzzle, but it is unfortunate to loose the original one.
Uranus Andrea is right to bring this up a bit in your solving order, it will affect your solving choices for the following puzzles.
Saturn
Neptune
Jupiter

If you like more visually confusing or harder puzzles, you might choose Earth, Venus (fisher's) and Neptune perhaps?
I hope that gives some people some options. This might be different if your methods are different though.

Andrea wrote:
You solved Mercury,Venus,Earth. Good sequence.
Earth, Neptune, Mars,Jupiter are the hardest cubes.
Uranus and Saturn are easier if you had understand how it works.

But a usefull sequence for you is the Neptune as next cube.
Neptune is the interesting way to solve a cube from one corner to the diagonal corner.
Very interesting. You lern sequences to orientate and permute corners. This sequences are usefull for all other cubes.
I am considering to order the two variants Bermuda fisher.
Hi Luke,
I thought others had commented on difficulty too, but this is what I could find quickly, I'm sure Konrad and some others will have their own order of difficulty too.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:29 am 

Hi every one, I'm new to Twisty Puzzles.

I've been following all of this thread about how to solve the Bermuda Cubes. I recently bought a Mars and thanks to your guide, I've been thru almost to be finished but I stuck at the final step to permute 3 edges of the final layer. Counter Clockwise.

The font is WHITE, top is ORANGE, all corners and 1 edge have in theirs positions and oriented correctly, only the Orange-Blue, Orange-Green and Orange-White need to be permuted. So, how can I permute them using what algorithm?

Thanks for your help, if you need picture of my cube, I can post them for you.

Looking forward to your instruction.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:10 am 

Welcome Djinn,

[U2 F U2 (Sune RUR'UR U2 R') y (Sune mirrored L'U'LU'L' U2 L) y' U2 F' U2]X2

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:09 am 

Burgo wrote:
Welcome Djinn,

[U2 F U2 (Sune RUR'UR U2 R') y (Sune mirrored L'U'LU'L' U2 L) y' U2 F' U2]X2

Cheers,
Burgo.

Thanks for your quick reply Burgo and I made it!!! Bingo!!! And I sure have to solve it again to grasp the notations more clearer.

Thanks again. This forum is very useful!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm 

Bump, but I feel the need to say thank you to Burgo! :)

Two days ago I revisited the Bermuda triangle. That was kind of a bump for me too.
I had not yet solved Uranus and Saturn. (My wife felt - and feels - a bit neglected and I had stopped after six planets a few months ago :) )

I think that I agree with everybody else in this thread that Uranus and Saturn are the hardest.
If somebody wants to buy only one, I would recommend Mars.
It is not too easy and not too hard, just right!

My solving order was the same as Burgo's original one:
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Neptune, Jupiter, Uranus, Saturn (I have not yet scrambled Saturn, but I'll transform it and handle it as a shape shifted version of Uranus.)

Actually, I found the building of the triangular blocks a bit harder already.
After that the puzzle is so restricted that you are almost urged to repetitions of [1,1] commutators like R´ F R F´.
When I remembered that repetititions like (R´ F R F´)x3 perform a 2-2 swap of corners, I was suspicious that I would end with a situation where I would need a corner 3-cycle. Exactly this happened.
I broke some triangular blocks again and could do a 3-cycle in a very irregular manner.

That was the point where I gave in and looked at Burgo's post from Novemver 12th 2012 on page 2 of this thread. (A Google search did not provide anything useful except of this very thread.)

I like Burgo's post and its nomenclature very much and I do not have to add much.
The names v, >, < are very nice and help to memorize the sequences! :D

Because I made some diagrams for myself I want to share them here. For convenience, I want to repeat the essentials of Burgo's post first:
Burgo wrote:
...Saturn and Uranus method for last part:

1) EPS (R'FRF') sequences to place and orientate edges.

2) EPSx3 sequences to place corners
*Converting a 3+1 corner swap to a 2+2 corner swap requires including another corner.
Let (R'FRF')x3 = v
Let (RU'R'U)x3 = >
Let (F'UFU')x3 = <
And I will call:
(FF+) U (F'F-) U' = get
U (FF+) U' (F'F-) = replace
Corner 3 cycle for 3+1 > 2+2: [get > replace > get v > replace]

3) Some orientating sequences are:
v > < = 3
v > v > = 4
v > v < v = 3
v > < v < > = 2
Combinations of these will be all you will need.
(Just try them out on a normal 3x3 to see the patterns).

Hope that is clear enough.
Cheers,
Burgo.
(I have just corrected a little typo. I leave it to the reader to find out where this typo had been :wink: )
Here are my diagrams (The arrows in the little diagrams associated with the v, >, < `primitives` make it clear why Burgo has used them and why I like these names :) ):

I used Gelatinbrain to produce some parts of the diagram.
You can use Gelatinbrain or a normal 3x3x3 to simulate the combination of the primitives!

Thanks Burgo!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 am 

Hello everybody,

I programmed a Bermuda Cube simulator. I'ts a little bit better than my last sim.
It uses 3D (opengl c++ Qt4)
The program uses mouse input and text input.

For showing some sequences its perhaps useful. All standard planets are included.
The fisher-style are not included. :oops:

If someone are interested? Please tell me.

Example uranus first "get" part of corner 3cycle
Attachment:
get.jpg
get.jpg [ 72.5 KiB | Viewed 4134 times ]

Scrambled cube

Attachment:
bermuda.jpg
bermuda.jpg [ 63.43 KiB | Viewed 4134 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:00 pm 

I am a bit late to this, but i recently purchased the "Saturn" bermuda cube. I didn't realize scrambling this puzzle was going to be the hard part haha.

edit - last part that im stuck on.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:57 pm 

Hi S3rzz,
I don't think it's ever too late to ask solving questions.

I'm a bit confused by your method though.. this is what my Saturn looks like solved :wink: :

Attachments:
Bermuda Saturn.jpg
Bermuda Saturn.jpg [ 50.7 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:35 pm 

Hey Burgo thanks for the response.I definitively had the blinders on, should have walked away and came back to it later. Sometimes the answer is just staring you in the face. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next