Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Name My Puzzles
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 am 

Hi, I'm just curious.
I haven't created/modify any puzzles yet but I hope soon, I'd do.
Okay, here's some questions :

1. Say, I created a puzzle & discovered that somebody has already created the same design. Must I use the name of that design of that person OR I can name my puzzle as I like ?

2. Say, I created a new puzzle that nobody has ever created before. Can I name my puzzle as anything I like ? Can I name it as ObamaLaden or C3POKAY or maybe 'My Love Life' etc etc etc. ?

I just joined this puzzle community so hoping to learn many things about puzzles. Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Name My Puzzles
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 am 

cocteau wrote:
Hi, I'm just curious.
I haven't created/modify any puzzles yet but I hope soon, I'd do.
Okay, here's some questions :

1. Say, I created a puzzle & discovered that somebody has already created the same design. Must I use the name of that design of that person OR I can name my puzzle as I like ?

2. Say, I created a new puzzle that nobody has ever created before. Can I name my puzzle as anything I like ? Can I name it as ObamaLaden or C3POKAY or maybe 'My Love Life' etc etc etc. ?

I just joined this puzzle community so hoping to learn many things about puzzles. Thanks guys.

1/ If you dont know about the previous version, you can name it anything you like. But if there is somebody let you know about the name, Ithink you should follow.

2/ yes of course. but I dont think Obamaladen is a good choice :D

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 am 

cubervietnam wrote:
1/ If you dont know about the previous version, you can name it anything you like. But if there is somebody let you know about the name, Ithink you should follow.

2/ yes of course. but I dont think Obamaladen is a good choice

That's the problem, I don't know.
After calling my creation GAGAGA for a few months, somebody ask me to change to 'Ghost Cube' !...because somebody created it a few months before... :roll:

No, I'd never ever call anything Obamaladen.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:32 am 

Names are usually based on some properties of the puzzle: its mathematical name(s) e.g icosa-, dodeca-, tetra-; the type of turns it employs e,g, face, corner, edge; the type of cuts used e.g. planar, curved, deep; its closest relative e.g. -minx, heli-, rex-. And of course you could incorporate your name into it, if it is a new puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:44 am 

Hi! Welcome to the forum.
cocteau wrote:

I believe, in that case, the best thing to do would be to contact the original designer. In most cases, it seems to depend on how your design compares to the original. If it improves upon it, or looks different, the designer may make exceptions allowing you to rename or even sell the puzzle. The cases of the Pillowed Hexaminx and my Curvy Hexaminx are good examples. However, in the case of this Hexaminx, which looks identical to the original, the original designer did not make those exceptions.

Either way, the wisest decision is to contact the designer to avoid future conflict.

cocteau wrote:

You can, indeed, call it whatever you'd like, though that may not always be the best idea. Take for example the Kilominx, the Megaminx, and the Gigaminx. They have a rather inconsistent naming scheme because, at the time of naming, the designers did not know the other variants would be created. Calling the 5x5 version the Gigaminx created the stipulation that all odd-layered variants would follow that naming pattern. When the possibilities of creating 2x2 (Kilominx) and 4x4 varients were discovered, the naming scheme did not hold up very well.

That is an extreme example, though, and most of the time naming the puzzle whatever you want is not a problem. Some designers name their puzzles based on the geometry of the mechanism of base solid (like I usually do), which may not produce the best-sounding names, but describe the puzzle very well. Other designers call their puzzles random, but unique names, like Identity Crisis and the Radiolarian series.

In the end, the choice is up to you, but I personally think designers should name carefully, because very often more puzzles are created to extend the original concept, making a series.

Chandler :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 am 

Gus wrote:
Names are usually based on some properties of the puzzle: its mathematical name(s) e.g icosa-, dodeca-, tetra-; the type of turns it employs e,g, face, corner, edge; the type of cuts used e.g. planar, curved, deep; its closest relative e.g. -minx, heli-, rex-. And of course you could incorporate your name into it, if it is a new puzzle.

Thanks Gus.
My favorite cube at the moment is Ghost Cube. A few reasons for this. I believe it was created by Gowan ? (not sure)
The name is simple.
Only 2 colors exist, I always love twisty puzzles with one color or 2 colors.
I could solve it no problem though most people think it's hard.
It's skewed.
It's 3x3x3 mod.
I just love it ! :)

Quirky-Cubes wrote:
I believe, in that case, the best thing to do would be to contact the original designer. Either way, the wisest decision is to contact the designer to avoid future conflict.

Hi Chandler,
But not all puzzle builders are subscribed to twistypuzzles.com ! :lol:
How to even write to them.
Some puzzle builders don't even answer questions & out of the blue, they just claimed "I did that first !"
How to overcome this ?

Quirky-Cubes wrote:
In the end, the choice is up to you, but I personally think designers should name carefully, because very often more puzzles are created to extend the original concept, making a series.

Yes, I also love the series.
But how about truncated twisty puzzles like Square-1 truncated into prism shape or 3x3x3 truncated into mirror cube etc etc. ?

If I want to truncate a puzzle, I don't need permission from the original builder but what if I want to sell them, do I need to ask the permission from the original builders ?

Thanks guys. All infos are vital for my future ventures ! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:45 pm 

1. You can pick whatever name comes into your mind. Choosing something which relates to mathematical terms like Gus suggested is usually used to describe the puzzle. Nobody will know what a "Gaga Puzzle" is but the community quickly learned that "Hexaminx" is a combination of hexahedron and megaminx.
2. From the point of the museum I can answer: You can choose what ever name you like but this name will not be entered into the museum in the general case. The first builder picks the puzzle's name and that sticks.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 pm 

Thanks Andreas.
I'm more gothic than mathematical so I fancy weird-strange names for my creations ! hahahaha

Anyway, I haven't even created anything yet so I must start molding now.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 pm 

If you search for the Ghost Cube you will find your guess of "Gowan" was close, it was designed by Adam Cowan (Puzzlemaster42). A batch were cast by Jason Smith (io).

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:57 am 

I love the 'skewed' mechanism in Ghost Cube, first for me ! I'm telling myself, if I want to build my own cubes, it would be skewed & distorted like Ghost Cube.