Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: *WARNING* for all eBay sellers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:13 am 

Please be aware that if you are selling a puzzle which is not an official Rubik's product in the "Toys & Games > Jigsaws & Puzzles > Rubik's Puzzles" category it may be removed. In addition you may receive a policy breach warning and sanctions if you repeat the offence.
I suspect 99% of the time it will go unnoticed but I think it is important that people at least know. Please see this thread for more information. I believe a prominent warning in this thread is necessary.

Post subject: Re: *WARNING* for all eBay sellers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:21 am 

Can you still use the words "Rubik's Like" or "Rubik Type" in the description?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 am 

Gus wrote:

I don't know. I will change mine in future to "A puzzle similar to Rubik's Cube"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:04 am 

Gus wrote:

No. I did in the Hexoid auction and that's why it was taken down.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 am 

How about using "for fans of Rubik's Cubes"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:33 am 

How about using "This is no Rubik's Cube"?

Just a note: the Rubik type puzzles collecting community donated puzzles for a future Rubiks museum in Hungary - and non-Rubiks-brand puzzles were accepted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:40 pm 

I think that instead of this title "GOLDEN CUBE (1/2 gold, 1/2 silver) by Tony Fisher Uwe Meffert" next time you can put this cube in auction with this title" GOLDEN CUBE (1/2 gold, 1/2 silver) by Tony Fisher Uwe Meffert-Rubik's type puzzle" so you'll have no problems I think.
I appreciate your handmade puzzles, but if I type Rubik on ebay I cannot find your puzzles, so I type Tony Fisher and I can find your puzzles....so maybe that could be better for you too....of course I know that "Tony Fisher" is known by all members of ommunity, but maybe someone in the world not still knows your great puzzles........so don't worry about ebay....next time put in auction your puzzles and add to the title...RUBIK'S TYPE PUZZLE!! :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:23 pm 

superciuk wrote:
I think that instead of this title "GOLDEN CUBE (1/2 gold, 1/2 silver) by Tony Fisher Uwe Meffert" next time you can put this cube in auction with this title" GOLDEN CUBE (1/2 gold, 1/2 silver) by Tony Fisher Uwe Meffert-Rubik's type puzzle" so you'll have no problems I think.

There isn't room for that whole title so I always add "Rubik's type puzzle" in the subtitle area. I am pretty sure enough people know about my auctions but it's just crazy not to list them in the appropriate place.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:41 pm 

This is just crazy that "Rubik's Type" has a complete section to itself. Rubik's may produce say a dozen puzzles, while there are literally hundreds of other twistypuzzles. I suppose that this is like people calling vacuum cleaners "Hoovers" or mp3 players "iPods" :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 pm 

Sadly you can't put anything like 'Rubik's Like' or 'Rubik's Type Puzzle'. That's what caused problems for my recent auction.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:22 am 

I guess they just recently just started checking or cracking down?

I sold 10+ auctions in February and I used Rubiks in title and in category too for all my auctions, which I'm sure what everyone has been doing in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:38 am 

If I used the word "Rubik's" in title - my auction is automatically removed after a few minutes
but it left my auction, if I used the word "Rubik" (or "Rubik Cube") in title :) and "Rubik's" in description

maybe they did an automatic filter that removes auctions, if it finds in them the names of famous brands.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:00 am 

Although we know we are not misleading anyone and "Rubik's Puzzles" IS the correct category I guess if you weren't an expert in this subject you would think it was wrong.
Imagine you made a watch that was similar to a Rolex. You put it in the Watches > Rolex category and call it "Rolex type watch". Many would find that wrong and misleading and an attempt to trick people who don't fully read titles and descriptions. In addition Rolex may well complain to eBay about misleading selling. So I guess until eBay employs experts in each field, "Other Puzzles" will be the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 am 

I've just had three of my listings removed by ebay for breaching this rule - the funny thing is one of them was a Bart's Head 2x2 which is actually a Rubik's puzzle.

Here is their reasoning:
ebay wrote:
Unfortunately, we had to remove your item because the way it was listed breaches our policy:

You used the words 'Rubik's type' in the title. Sellers aren't permitted to use any brand names in a title other than the brand name used by the company that manufactured or produced the item for sale. The title is a place to state what an item actually is. Including other brand names results in a poor search experience. Keywords are often used for the purpose of gaining attention or diverting members to a listing are considered as search and browse manipulation and isn't permitted on eBay. You can relist your item by removing the irrelevant brand name /keywords from the title of the listing.

You can include a brand, celebrity, manufacturer, or style name in a listing only if that information directly matches what you're selling in the listing.

Be careful not to make comparisons or say that it's like a certain product because it can be misleading. It can also make it harder for people to find what they're looking for on eBay.

So don't include words or details that have nothing to do with the item for sale. For example, putting extra brand names in a listing just to have it show up in more search results is against our rules.

So we are not allowed to use a brand name in the title but it doesn't say we can't still list our items in this category.

I guess we have two choices -

1. Continue to list our items in "Rubik's puzzles" and still get hits from people that search by category but miss out on hits by people that just search for "rubik"

2. List in "Other Puzzles" with the thousands of other puzzles which will make it a lot harder for people to find what they are looking for. (I'm looking at you ebay!!)

I've messaged ebay about the removal of my Rubik puzzle and also suggested a change in category name to "Twisty Puzzles" rather than the brand name category they currently use - I doubt this will have any influence unfortunately but will update if there is anything worthwhile to say.

Also, is it just ebay.co.uk that is removing listings at the moment or has it happened on ebay.com too?

Last edited by Zzupler on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:40 am 

Zzupler wrote:
ebay wrote:

Be careful not to make comparisons or say that it's like a certain product because it can be misleading. It can also make it harder for people to find what they're looking for on eBay.

That stupid idiotic ignorant comment makes my blood boil so much! I will just about accept the category rule but this is just so obviously wrong. What on earth is wrong with making comparisons?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 am 

I just made a little test on ebay.co.uk:
1. A search with the keyword `Rubiks` showed 2023 results in "all categories".
2. In category "toys&games" I had 476 hits
3. In "toys&games/Jigsaws&puzzles/Rubik's puzzles" I had 326 hits

I have the impression that only a small percentage of all those hits are really Rubik's brand.
Most `Rubiks` products are obviously produced in China :lol:

In my opinion a buyer will use even more likely keyword search than looking for a specific category.

I made a similar test on ebay.de a few days ago with similar findings, but I had much less hits.

On ebay.com I found today 2906 items searching for the keyword `Rubiks`in "all categories" inluding items like this:
Vintage Unique Square Hard Wood Cube Puzzle Block A Different Style Puzzle Hard
in the category "Toys & Hobbies > Puzzles > 1970-Now > Rubik's" which has nothing to do with twisty puzzles or Rubik's at all!

If Ebay really wants to enforce the strategy that in "Rubik's puzzles" are listed Rubik's brand products only, they have a long way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:26 pm 

I tried to sell something on ebay again - they made me take a tutorial about their rules before they would let me - here is a little gem I'm sure you'll love Tony!
Tony Fisher wrote:
What on earth is wrong with making comparisons?

ebay wrote:
Sellers aren't allowed to make comparisons between items in a listing title. Examples of comparison words include, but aren't limited to, the following: "not", "like", "style", "-esque", "similar", "clone", "unmarked", "wannabe", "inspired", "compare to" and "lookalike". Sellers can use the description to compare the functionality of the item being listed to one other similar product, as long as the listing doesn't misrepresent which company made the item in the listing.

Looks like comparisons are ok as long as they are in the description!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:49 am 

Maybe it's enough to write in auction title the word "Rubik" only, and then the correct name of the twistypuzzle for sell?...so it's not "Rubik's", and people can find the puzzles just writing "Rubik" on ebay search?....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:12 am 

Hi Friends,

I just had a bit of a look around on The Bay and I noticed it has become common for sellers to finish their titles with `Twisty Magic Cube Puzzle` which makes sense. As long as we know what to search for and what to put in the titles if `Rubiks` is a problem. I don't know why we haven't started using the language `Twisty Puzzle` there yet anyway. I don't know why Ebay won't make a category for us.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)