Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Internal edges of 2x2x2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:04 pm 

I just got a WitEden WitTwo-C 2x2x2 cube. (Stickerless. Also snagged their 3x3x9 Cubic I -- love that puzzle!) Anyway, I got the stickerless version because I figure it could be an added challenge to solve it as a 3x3x3, by peeking in to see the colors on the somewhat hidden edges.

Now that I have it, I'm not sure that this is possible, so I figured I'd ask you smart people if you had any thoughts or suggestions on it.

The edges are visible by flexing the corner pieces apart a little, then you can see them, colored appropriately. Eg, the edge is spherical in shape, but is half red half blue, etc. The red/green/yellow corner seems to be fixed to its neighboring edges, as well as to the core. The other edges free-float around the cube while you move the "corners" around on it. Unlike a standard 3x3x3, there is no control to be able to slide the edges layer and core centers around independently of the corners.

Is it even possible to solve this, knowing that the only way to move the "edges" is to use the fixed corner to shuffle them around? Has anyone figured this out?

Post subject: Re: Internal edges of 2x2x2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:19 pm 

I don't know the puzzle you are talking about but understand the underlying 3x3x3 within the 2x2x2 mechanism. I am surprised that it is coloured or are you saying you will colour it? If it is or has ever been coloured in a solved state then of course it can be solved again. Perhaps I misunderstand you though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:34 pm 

He referred to the solid colored version of a witeden 2x2.

Here's the link. http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/view ... 15&t=21974

I had the same thought and am planning to get one with transparent 2x2 corner pieces but a 6-colored core. Should be fun to try that out. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:35 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I don't know the puzzle you are talking about but understand the underlying 3x3x3 within the 2x2x2 mechanism. I am surprised that it is coloured or are you saying you will colour it? If it is or has ever been coloured in a solved state then of course it can be solved again. Perhaps I misunderstand you though.

It's already colored. It was "solved" when I first got it. I did a few solves on it (thus proving in my mind how poor the Rubik's branded 2x2x2 I was previously using was... heh) then to my surprise, I attempted to solve this one's internal 3x3x3 edge parts, and realized that I either can't control or don't know how to control their location and placement.

http://bleullama.tumblr.com/post/202437 ... ttwo-2x2x2

Here you can see an internal orange/blue "edge" underneath the blue/yellow pieces.

It appears to be as though it's a 3x3x3, but with a whole corner-ish bandaged. (the red/yellow/green corner, as well as its adjacent red/yellow, red/green and yellow/green edge pieces are bandaged.)

Actually, now that I think about it, the solution would be the same as solving either cube of a linked Void Cube chain. hrm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:55 pm 

That's really weird. It almost looks like the internals were designed to be solved.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:30 pm 

It's the same a s solving a Fuse Cube (provided they were in a solvable state from the start).

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
fuse cube.jpg
fuse cube.jpg [ 3.32 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:46 am 

Burgo wrote:
It's the same a s solving a Fuse Cube (provided they were in a solvable state from the start)..

Sweet! Thanks! Now I need to learn those moves too! :D