Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My attempt at assembly puzzles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:32 pm 

Here are two prototypes for assembly puzzles I designed. They were made using a laser engraver that my family owns for our trophy/awards/custom laserworks business.
Luckily my brother had some leftover acrylic he said I could use. That would explain the colors. Please excuse the burn marks, I wasn't aware the smoke would flame up so much. I'm sure compressed air would take care of that. Obviously, if I were wanting to sell these kinds of puzzles, I would make them a lot neater and more aesthetically pleasing.

Attachments:
WP_000030 (2).jpg
WP_000030 (2).jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 1405 times ]
WP_000029 (2).jpg
WP_000029 (2).jpg [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 1405 times ]
WP_000028 (2).jpg
WP_000028 (2).jpg [ 92.46 KiB | Viewed 1405 times ]

Post subject: Re: My attempt at assembly puzzles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:46 pm 

Looks really nice! I like the shade of Blue you used. You should do a series of shapes; Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon...

Job well done though!

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm 

Two really nice puzzles! I can't decide which one I like the best, the blue one because you don't see the pieces when solved, or the curvy cuts ont the white one. Great work.

usually acryllic comes with a protective layer on both sides. You should keep at least the one on the bottom to prevent burn marks.

Will you make more to sell?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:36 pm 

The first puzzle has 123,580 solutions if rotation and reflection are not counted as the same solution, and each piece can be flipped over. I'm not sure if you divide by twelve to get the solutions not counting rotations or reflections, or if the number is higher.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:40 pm 

Jorbs3210 wrote:
The first puzzle has 123,580 solutions if rotation and reflection are not counted as the same solution, and each piece can be flipped over. I'm not sure if you divide by twelve to get the solutions not counting rotations or reflections, or if the number is higher.

You should divide by 12 (the 12 symmetries of the hexagonal frame). alternatively you can fix the orientation of one asymmetric piece.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm 

maarten wrote:
Jorbs3210 wrote:

You should divide by 12 (the 12 symmetries of the hexagonal frame). alternatively you can fix the orientation of one asymmetric piece.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure because of the additional symmetries.

So then the answer is 10,298 solutions.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:36 pm 

maarten wrote:
Two really nice puzzles! I can't decide which one I like the best, the blue one because you don't see the pieces when solved, or the curvy cuts ont the white one. Great work.

usually acryllic comes with a protective layer on both sides. You should keep at least the one on the bottom to prevent burn marks.

Will you make more to sell?

I left both protective layers on. We use compressed air on some materials to keep the flame down or to get rid of it completely. I thought about designing some more and putting them on Etsy maybe. Of course I would need to make them look a lot more aesthetically pleasing :lol:
Thank's for the positive comments guys!

EDIT: The backs of the blue pieces do not show faux cuts. The puzzle can be solved with flipped pieces, but it would not look like a bunch of triangles any more.