Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:03 pm
Location: Madrid -Spain -Europe
Is this the end of the second boom of rubiks puzzles?

Why? Market saturation? Asian crisis?


Attachments:
NNN.jpg
NNN.jpg [ 24.87 KiB | Viewed 1346 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
juanan wrote:
Is this the end of the second boom of rubiks puzzles?

Why? Market saturation? Asian crisis?
What's the scale on the Y axis? What is the source of the data? How was the data bucketed? What is a "new" puzzle? What qualifies as a "Rubik's Puzzle"? How is 2012 on the chart and how was it normalized with previous years?

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 am
Location: Germany, Siegerland
It's only March!

_________________
Timur aka Shim
Signed Vulcanos ($48), Pillow Pyraminxes ($22)
Come visit my Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
As it stands it's virtually meaningless. Sales may have risen but the number of different types may have fallen etc etc. More information please! In addition I am not trusting any report talking about 'rubik puzzles'

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
If production really is down, i'll bet its at least partly due to V-Cube. How can companies like Dayan produce new cubes when lots of their money is spent fighting off lawsuits from v-cubes? And now that V-cube is going after sites like Cube Depot and taking away their Paypal privileges, less people have access to the cubes already on the market, so the manufacturers get less profit to put towards making new cubes. By attacking sites that sell KO's as well as legit puzzles, they are hurting honest companies too.

I'm not saying this is the sole cause of less puzzles being produced, but it is easily enough to have an affect on the market.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:03 pm
Location: Madrid -Spain -Europe
It's an analysis made by me with the puzzles releases.
The y axis is the number of puzzles.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Noreg89 wrote:
If production really is down, i'll bet its at least partly due to V-Cube. How can companies like Dayan produce new cubes when lots of their money is spent fighting off lawsuits from v-cubes? And now that V-cube is going after sites like Cube Depot and taking away their Paypal privileges, less people have access to the cubes already on the market, so the manufacturers get less profit to put towards making new cubes. By attacking sites that sell KO's as well as legit puzzles, they are hurting honest companies too.

I'm not saying this is the sole cause of less puzzles being produced, but it is easily enough to have an affect on the market.


No offence but those arguments are [self censored].

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Littleton CO
Are they only talking about Rubik’s brand puzzles? Or all puzzles?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Sioux Lookout, Canada
juanan wrote:
It's an analysis made by me with the puzzles releases.
The y axis is the number of puzzles.

Can you please post the raw data you used to create this graph? Thanks.

_________________
PeteTheGeek196 on YouTube


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
No

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:18 am
If I am understanding Juanan correctly, he is saying that 2010 had the greatest number of mass produced puzzles released with 2011 being a close second and 2009 a distant third.

While it is anyone's guess how 2012 will look at the end of the year, it has already exceeded 2008(the 4th most prolific year listed) and is not far from surpassing 2009, and it has not even finished its first quarter.

If my understanding is correct, the only thing fans of mass produced puzzle have to worry about is "How am going to afford all these puzzles?".

Edit: It would be nice to see a version of this graph that has a labeled y-axis, and finer units on the x-axis(maybe quarters or months?)

_________________
Just so you know, I am blind.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2000 3:17 pm
Location: Hong Kong
I was thinking the same not too long ago, but then I realized I hadn't talked to Uwe in around a month. I hadn't had a boys and toys in 3 :shock:

No, I think you are going through the same withdrawal symptoms I am. There are more coming. Soon enough....patience grasshopper.

_________________
Rox's Rambling Blog
Katsmom's Puzzling Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The end of the rubik´s puzzles boom?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:03 pm
Location: Madrid -Spain -Europe
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
If I am understanding Juanan correctly, he is saying that 2010 had the greatest number of mass produced puzzles released with 2011 being a close second and 2009 a distant third.

While it is anyone's guess how 2012 will look at the end of the year, it has already exceeded 2008(the 4th most prolific year listed) and is not far from surpassing 2009, and it has not even finished its first quarter.



Yes, it´s correct

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group