Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Skewb Classification.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 am 

So, I've been trying to figure this out on my own but I feel like im confusing myself more then anything xD. Just out of general curiosity, would the Skewb be a 2x2 or a 3x3, and would the Master Skewb be a 3x3, or a 4x4 version? Also, what would come after the Master Skewb?

Post subject: Re: Skewb Classification.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 am 

Aether13 wrote:
So, I've been trying to figure this out on my own but I feel like im confusing myself more then anything xD. Just out of general curiosity, would the Skewb be a 2x2 or a 3x3, and would the Master Skewb be a 3x3, or a 4x4 version? Also, what would come after the Master Skewb?
Personally I don't like this analogue very much.

The Skewb would be a 2x2x2 because it is deep cut just as the 2x2x2 is deep cut. The Master Skewb would be a 3x3x3 since it is more shallowly cut which creates a middle slice layer.

"After the Master Skewb" means more "layers" but those could be added a few ways.

For example, you could take a Master Skewb and put a cut down the middle of the slice layer to give you two slice layers. This is what was done with Gelatinbrain's 3.2.3 puzzle. Another alternative would be to take a Skewb and put a an additional shallow cut on each vertex. This is what was done with Gelatinbrain's 3.2.13 (the Dino Skewb).

Folks seem to be pretty flimsy with how they count layers and what they call "master" or "professor" or "elite" or "royal", etc. It seems like for every example of the term used right there is a counter-example.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:14 pm 

I second everything what bmenrigh wrote. And add just one thing:
Aether13 wrote:
Also, what would come after the Master Skewb?
What a puzzle withmore cuts per axis is named is decided by its inventor. There is no law, no rule anybody has to obey.
That is what abstract classification systems are for. <whole different story>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:34 pm 

Okay thank you for clarifying, and what I meant by what comes next is what is the next higher order skewb, since the master is a 3x3 what would be the 4x4 version of this?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:47 pm 

Aether13 wrote:
Okay thank you for clarifying, and what I meant by what comes next is what is the next higher order skewb, since the master is a 3x3 what would be the 4x4 version of this?
Face turning cubes are somewhat unique in that it's pretty obvious and unambiguous how to go from N^3 to (N+1)^3. This is not the case with many other geometries.

This is one of the reasons why I hate reading "Oh that puzzle is just like the 4x4x4 but only [...]". There are at least two different planar-cut vertex-turning cubes with 4 "layers".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:56 pm 

The next level is the Elite Skewb. There are four kinds of puzzles with four layers per axis: Compy Skewb, Dino Skewb, Rex Skewb, and Elite Skewb.

Personally, I don't find referring to higher order Skewbs this way a problem. Other puzzles yes, but the Skewb is quite simple to me. Provided that the boundaries of the cuts are within a Skewb and a Master Skewb, then no matter how high one goes, it can still be classified as a higher order Skewb.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:16 pm 

Luke wrote:
The next level is the Elite Skewb. There are four kinds of puzzles with four layers per axis: Compy Skewb, Dino Skewb, Rex Skewb, and Elite Skewb.
The issue with calling any of these the 4x4x4 equivalent Skewb is that the 4x4x4 has evenly spaced cutting planes (equal "layer" thickness) and none of these do.

The analogue is broken.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:30 pm 

Hence why I specified cuts within the depth of a Skewb and Master Skewb, of which only the Elite Skewb does. One can't specify a 4x4x4 vertex turning cube with that being the only definition, however one can specify a 4x4x4 Skewb. All the other 4 layered vertex turning puzzles don't fall into a specific category, but the Elite Skewb can.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:37 pm 

Luke wrote:
Hence why I specified cuts within the depth of a Skewb and Master Skewb, of which only the Elite Skewb does. One can't specify a 4x4x4 vertex turning cube with that being the only definition, however one can specify a 4x4x4 Skewb. All the other 4 layered vertex turning puzzles don't fall into a specific category, but the Elite Skewb can.

So what defines what a Skewb that isn't a Skewb is? Deep cut? The Master Skewb isn't deep cut and doesn't have a bisecting plane (but neither does a 3x3x3). The vertex-turning cube that has 3 evenly spaced cutting planes with even layer thickness does have a bisecting plane just like a 4x4x4. This puzzle is not the Elite Skewb.

Given a Skewb and the task "make this a 4-layer puzzle like the 4x4x4" you would not arrive at the Elite Skewb.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:43 pm 

Luke wrote:
You forgot one... my favorite.

The Order=3 Corner-Turn MultiCube (Plus One)

Carl