Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Custom Cross Cube tutorial?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 am 

Is there anywhere I could find a tutorial, video or otherwise, on how to make this puzzle? I absolutely love how awesome this looks and really want a cross cube. This would be my custom build so a bit of a guide would be handy.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Custom Cross Cube
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:01 pm 

1. Get this http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.MF8_C ... ter_-46628
2. Make centers round inside
3. Glue on some cubies
4. have a nice day

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm 

Any other helpful tips on building one of these? Keep in mind this will be my first custom puzzle build so pics of the process would be best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

unirox13 wrote:
Any other helpful tips on building one of these? Keep in mind this will be my first custom puzzle build so pics of the process would be best.

I will try to explain the process but I don't have the puzzle with me right now to take pictures. I would suggest getting the Mercury crazy 3x3 because it will require the least amount of work. (available here: http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/item.aspx?corpname=nowstore&itemid=0ddd1217-bad0-4990-9fcc-c0855ca9394b) Completely disassemble the cube and remove the black pieces that surround the core (the pieces that lock the centers). This should free all but one center. For that center you will need to round it out with a dremel or sand paper. For the extensions you can either use 3x3x4's or normal 3x3's. The 3x3x4's are easier to work with but they are more expensive. If you use 3x3x4's you'll need 4 of them unless you have 6 spare cubies laying around to use as center pieces (you'll need 3 3x3's). You then cut off the "foot" of the cubie so it is just a cube. I used a razor saw to make straight cuts. Then you glue it on to the inner circle piece. Just repeat this for every piece.

I hope this helped!

-CB

-CB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 am 

Okay, that is helpful, I do have a couple of questions still.
What 3x3 would you recommend I use? I was thinking C4U but I'm honestly not sure if that'll work.
Which pieces do I use from the 3x3, only edges?
What type of glue do you recommend? Just super glue, or something like pc7?
I assume your instructions will make a bit more sense and be easier to visualize once I've got the puzzles in front of me yes?

Thanks again for your patience with me, I can solve them all day, but building my own is still very new to me and I really appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am 

unirox13 wrote:
What 3x3 would you recommend I use? I was thinking C4U but I'm honestly not sure if that'll work.

I used Rubik's brand 3x3x3's to make mine just because I could buy them easily. You should pick a cube similar to a Rubik's brand because it will be easier to cut than something like a dayan guhong. I don't know what the internals of a c4u 3x3 look like, but if they are similar to a Rubik's they will work.

unirox13 wrote:
Which pieces do I use from the 3x3, only edges?

I used all of them. I glued edges on inner circle edges and corners on inner circle corners. This make the outside look nicer.

unirox13 wrote:
What type of glue do you recommend? Just super glue, or something like pc7?

I used normal super glue. If your rough with the cube eventually a corner may pop off but it can easily be glued back on.

unirox13 wrote:
I assume your instructions will make a bit more sense and be easier to visualize once I've got the puzzles in front of me yes?

Yea, once you have the puzzles it will make a lot more sense.

-Chris

-CB