Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: gear pyraminx on mefferts!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 pm 

I have received my Gear Pyraminx, and after a short time of playing with it, I noticed that an edge gear has become misaligned with respect to the puzzle. It has 4 teeth on one side; 2 teeth on the other. I call this a half-tooth misalignment. See photo:
Attachment:
Slipped Tooth.jpg
Slipped Tooth.jpg [ 36.87 KiB | Viewed 7611 times ]

All gearings in this puzzle add up to multiples of three, and with both legal (one corner) and illegal (3 and 4 corner simultaneous) moves, three edges are always rotated in tandem. This means that the total offset of edge tooth rotations always adds to a multiple of three teeth, meaning that a single edge rotated 60 or 120 degrees is impossible, however it is possible to rotate a single edge gear 180 degrees (3 teeth). Usually when an edge goes out of alignment, there is resistance of movement followed by a popping sound upon release of pressure. Once you hear this "pop" noise, you will know that an edge gear is pushed out of alignment into the "half-tooth" configuration. This makes the puzzle unstable and more prone to popping until you reset the tooth. It is far too easy in my puzzle's current state to accidentally pop gears during the scramble process. In fact, I have found that I during mid-rotation, I can slip edge teeth at will by applying just the right amount of leverage to an edge. Yes, this is cheating, but it is also a necessary procedure to repair slippages. However, you never know which side of the gear needs to be slipped, as slipping the wrong side will likely lead to a parity situation and an unsolvable puzzle. It is very frustrating when this happens and has limited my ability to explore solutions.

Another issue immediately apparent with my Gear Pyraminx, is that some of the edge pieces are too loose. There is a screw that holds each edge in place. These screws need to be tightened on several of the edge pieces in my puzzle. Do a partial turn, and wiggle the edge. If the edge part wiggles around with respect to the core, it is too loose, and I believe that contributes to the problem. Usually for gear type pieces, the screw should be tightened until the piece won't rotate, then loosen it a quarter to half turn max and the gear should rotate freely with no wiggle.

EMPEROR COW, is it really necessary to use a stack of five washers underneath an M3 screw? Can't you just use a shorter screw if it is too long? The M3 washers my hardware stores supply are usually too wide to fit down inside the screw holes, anyway, but the standard M3 screws which accept the 2.5mm Allen wrench works fine in most puzzles. You also say you used a washer underneath the corner. Is that between the ball core and the fixed bottom of the corner, or between the rotating gear and the base? Thanks for clarifying.

As for taking off the center caps with minimal damage to the stickers, it may be a better idea to use an Exacto or Razor blade to cut the sticker along the seam so that any adjustments can be made to the puzzle as needed. Yes, this will leave a permanent seam in the sticker, but it will allow the edge caps to be taken off with relative ease in the future, without further degrading the quality of the stickers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 am 

stardust4ever wrote:

EMPEROR COW, is it really necessary to use a stack of five washers underneath an M3 screw? Can't you just use a shorter screw if it is too long? The M3 washers my hardware stores supply are usually too wide to fit down inside the screw holes, anyway, but the standard M3 screws which accept the 2.5mm Allen wrench works fine in most puzzles. You also say you used a washer underneath the corner. Is that between the ball core and the fixed bottom of the corner, or between the rotating gear and the base? Thanks for clarifying. .

Hi there,

Yes, I'm afraid you need to add the washers as the core is acctually short. If you noticed when you first tried to disassemble the puzzle, when you removed the edge gears your corner gears resting state were at a twisted angle were they not ? this creates the lack of shape stability and the more likelyhood of teeth locking up. You need to compensate for that lost core arm length in order for the edge gears to rest securely between the corners but not too much so that they become loose and you hear that POP you mentioned. After a bit of trial and error, I found that the ideal length for this to be 5 washers on each core arm.

Basicly, even if you remove the springs, you will still get an unstable puzzle without the length compensation. Because if you go too tight on the screws you would end up back into the twisted resting state, and if you make it a little looser the teeth would just pop out all over the place again.

Just to clarify where the washers should go , here is the order of the parts from the corner gear to the core.
- Corner gear cover
- M3 screw
- Corner gear
- Corner gear base
- The 5 washers ( or a nut of equal width) fitting right into the circle the core sinks into.
- The core arm which still sinks into the circle on the base even after the washers but less than before

I haven't tried it yet (been too busy), but I still believe a small nut instead of the washers might make the gears even more stable (although it is quite stable with the washers and I am very happy with the puzzle's current state).

I hope this makes things clear. :)

Last edited by EMPEROR_COW on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 am 

Perhaps most of you are used to and comfortable with taking apart your puzzles and putting them back together, modified to make them better than new. If you are in that group, I hope you have fun with your improved gear pyraminxes after you modify them. But I am not in that group. I do not want to take it apart. So although it has gotten into a state of extreme squishiness a couple times which was difficult to recover from, I was able to work with it slowly and carefully until it was back to its normal shape and condition. If I am very careful with it, and stop immediately when it starts going wonky, and make sure everything is aligned correctly before proceeding, I think I can have a little fun with this puzzle after all. It is still somewhat disappointing that such care must be taken, but I hope to get my money's worth out of it as is. So, if you ordered one of these, and like me, do not like to take things apart and make them better, do not despair. I think you can still have fun with it. But if you haven't ordered one, and do not like to take things apart and make them better, you might not want to get one to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:35 am 

I mentioned once that I would be selling signed Gear Pyraminxes. Now I think it's a good idea that I'll modify them before shipping so that the buyers can be sure that they'll get a normally working puzzle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:59 am 

I agree with what has been said above.
My puzzle is very unstable and "popable", so that I have put it on a shelf and I don't play with it (not yet actually).

This is the second puzzle I have from Meffert's which is "unplayable" or playable with a lot of caution (the first one was the mosaic cube).

I am clearly very unhappy that such a compagny sell puzzle with so poor quality. It is a deterioration of their reputation.

edit : I have just sent an e-mail to Mefferts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:11 pm 

I received my puzzle and I see no problem with it at all. I have spent a while playing with it and there have been no misalignments or gear skips. I make sure of this by simply pressing one finger against the middle of the opposite side I'm turning. This has the same effect as pressing a flat face down on a flat surface. It keeps the rest of the puzzle plenty straight while you are trying to turn a vertex. The only thing I have to complain about is the missing stickers, however the ones that are on the puzzle are placed very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 pm 

I just got mine yesterday, I have been careful based on the comments in this thread.
By being careful with the alignments, stopping at the first sign of trouble and realigning.
I am able to enjoy this puzzle.
But I was happy with my mosaic cube also.
and I am not a speed cuber.
I enjoy the mind-challenge aspect of this puzzle.

I do wish it came with the center stickers though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 am 

EMPEROR_COW wrote:
Yes, I'm afraid you need to add the washers as the core is acctually short. If you noticed when you first tried to disassemble the puzzle, when you removed the edge gears your corner gears resting state were at a twisted angle were they not ?
I haven't actually attempted to disassemble or modify the puzzle yet, but I will. I still believe that the loose edge gears are contributing to the puzzle's sloppiness. What length M3 screws were you using? I have 12mm and 15mm screws in my puzzle drawer, as well as others. I'm not sure if a nut is the best idea, because the nuts are hexagon, not round. Would the hex nut interfere with the corners? I may pick up four of them anyway, as they are cheap enough. Actually I take that back; the hex nuts are probably a bad idea. The last one would be near impossible to install inside the puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
EMPEROR_COW wrote:
Yes, I'm afraid you need to add the washers as the core is acctually short. If you noticed when you first tried to disassemble the puzzle, when you removed the edge gears your corner gears resting state were at a twisted angle were they not ?
I haven't actually attempted to disassemble or modify the puzzle yet, but I will. I still believe that the loose edge gears are contributing to the puzzle's sloppiness. What length M3 screws were you using? I have 12mm and 15mm screws in my puzzle drawer, as well as others. I'm not sure if a nut is the best idea, because the nuts are hexagon, not round. Would the hex nut interfere with the corners? I may pick up four of them anyway, as they are cheap enough. Actually I take that back; the hex nuts are probably a bad idea. The last one would be near impossible to install inside the puzzle.

I was thinking the same about the nuts. But then I thought, hey its hexagonal .. I'm sure I can do my last few twists of the nut in the inner circle with a pin or something to hold it in place an turn the screw from the other end with a screw driver..

Being hexagonal or not wont affect the puzzle in anyway as it'll only serve two purposes:
1) compensate for the lost core arm lenth
2) make the corner gear alot more stable

it shouldn't affect the turning as it would be inside the internal circle (if you're worried about clunkiness ).

Thing is I'm not so sure there is a nut with the specs I'm looking for (with the height and width of the 5 washers that fit internally) . I need to check the shop again. I've been extremely busy :(

As for the M3 screw lenth, I used 16 mm screws (if there is such a thing, measured from screw tip to where the teeth end) but now I'm considering getting slightly longer ones (18 mm or more, need to check the shop). It seems like there is more threading room in the core and I figured that longer screws might further add to the stability.

I've just been very busy this past week but I'll get around to doing it eventually and maybe even post pics or a vid if i have the time ... (I'll try my best).

But like I said before, the solution with the 5 washers is acctually not bad at all and my puzzle does work now, although I have to admit the shapeways model is still far more superior. Still, at least the puzzle can be scrabled and is actually playable now.. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:57 am 

I am very disappointed in Mefferts product and customer service.
I have sent 2 emails to the published addresses on the Jade Club website and have had no reply.

Has anyone else had a reply yet?
I feel deeply let down by Mefferts and feel that they are 'hiding' with their lack of responses.

Robert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:18 am 

Robert111 wrote:
I am very disappointed in Mefferts product and customer service.
I have sent 2 emails to the published addresses on the Jade Club website and have had no reply.

Has anyone else had a reply yet?
I feel deeply let down by Mefferts and feel that they are 'hiding' with their lack of responses.

Robert

I contacted them through the Contact Us link at mefferts.com a few days ago. No reply. I am still trying to solve the puzzle, but it is frustrating because I can't concentrate on the solve due to the looseness of the puzzle at times.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:41 pm 

Just got my gear pyraminx. I just want to say I am completely disappointed. I can play with it, but have to be extremely careful and even then it is prone to locking. I also don't like not getting what I ordered (lacking stickers). I have always been very happy with Meffert's until recently. Buying from them has just been a no brainer. No longer. I will wait on reviews from now on. Mosaic cube and now this, too much for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think Meffert's does a wonderful service by bringing us puzzles that we would likely never see otherwise. I also realize that he has a small company. However, that does not excuse releasing a puzzle of poor quality and not at least posting a statement letting the buyer know of potential issues. At least that way, the buyer could make an informed decision.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:06 pm 

It is just perplexing to me that you guys will complain when a company takes a lot of time to perfect a design so it will be just right (example: Jade Puzzles), but we also complain when a company puts in a lot of work in order to quickly produce new exciting puzzles for us to enjoy! Why can't we just be content and enjoy the puzzles we have?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 am 

Here's a thought; maybe Timur (Shim) could released a modified core on Shapeways, that will fix the current tolerance issues with the Gear Pyraminx and be compatible with the current screws/springs, similar to how Oskar released the Ball Core for his Mosaic Cube. I initially puchased the ball core for my Mosaic Cube and it greatly enhanced the stability and prevented edge pieces from ramdomly exploding out of the puzzle. I also thouroughly soaked the ball core with silicone spray prior to assembly, and turning was superb.

Considering the tolerance problems with the Gear Pyraminx, an improved core from Timur (Shim) may be the perfect solution. :solved:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:39 am 

monkeyman wrote:
It is just perplexing to me that you guys will complain when a company takes a lot of time to perfect a design so it will be just right (example: Jade Puzzles), but we also complain when a company puts in a lot of work in order to quickly produce new exciting puzzles for us to enjoy! Why can't we just be content and enjoy the puzzles we have?

If TP had a 'like' button, I'd use it
I agree
Sure, the one from Shapeways turns better, but it's also out of my price range. This isn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:08 am 

monkeyman wrote:

How am I suppose to enjoy a puzzle that literally does not work?

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:12 pm 

One has to expect a minimum quality, which is probably, for many people, the actual usability of the puzzle. Obviously, we aren't here to buy paperweights.

However, I have to agree. There is a lack of appreciation for the effort taken to produce a puzzle, even if it isn't the highest quality. This puzzle, assuming the comments above represent the general body of produced copies, is way underengineered for the purpose it's intended to serve.

However, I can list several other puzzles which people complained about way too much. The Vulcano/Trignis, for example. Or the Mosaic Cube.

People want complicated puzzles nowadays. But, complicated puzzles come at the cost of turning quality. We can't expect our high-piece-count puzzles to turn like butter. Well, I take that back. We can expect them to, we'll just be disappointed 90% of the time.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:45 pm 

NType3 wrote:
There is a lack of appreciation for the effort taken to produce a puzzle
I show my appreciation with my money by paying for these puzzles.
NType3 wrote:
However, I can list several other puzzles which people complained about way too much. The Vulcano/Trignis, for example. Or the Mosaic Cube.
I complained about my Volcano because the screws were way too loose and a majority of the stickers were very poorly applied. At least with this puzzle it was somewhat easy to get to the screws to adjust it. I complained about my Mosaic Cube because the screws were way too tight and it has a bent screw. The combination of these two issues meant that whenever you rotated the corner with the bent screw a piece would pop, every time. Unfortunately it was very difficult to get to these screws. It also has a few poorly placed stickers (just a few, nothing like the Volcano had). I complained about my Professor Pyraminx because the screws were way too loose (pieces would easily fall off during turns) and it also has a bent screw. Like the Mosaic Cube it was very difficult to get to the screws. It also had many poorly placed stickers, almost as bad as the Volcano. I complained about my Gear Shift because it won't even open in one direction making the puzzle unusable, and it has poorly placed stickers on one side. I complained about my Wellness Ball Cube because it doesn't contain the magnets which were in the product description when I ordered it. And I am complaining about the Gear Pyraminx for all the same reasons as others above. It is currently sitting in a semi-scrambled and unstable state and will remain that way. I might as well just toss it out for as much use as I'll be able to get from it.

I have had nothing but bad luck with Meffert's puzzles for over a year now.

In all of these cases I have send emails to Meffert's but have not received any responses. For the Gear Pyraminx all I did was request the ability to purchase a full set of stickers (including the missing centers) so that I can peal these off to gain access to the screws.

Oh, does anyone know of a good source to buy the screws that are used in the Mosaic and Professor Pyraminx? I still haven't been able to replace the bent ones that I have (I had at one time requested the ability to buy them from Meffert's but didn't get a response).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 pm 

NType3 wrote:

I have the Mosaic Cube. I enjoyed solving it last month and added it to the box of "want to play with it more in 2012" puzzles. I have not done the core modification. I have not done any modifications. I have the Vulcano. It too was solved and enjoyed in January and added to the "want to play with it more in 2012" puzzle box. Neither puzzle is perfect as far as playability goes, but they are playable! The Gear Pyraminx on the other hand is not. I tried. I tried being positive. I tried being careful. I tried everything I could to enjoy it as much as possible. And there were brief times when it seemed like it was working well enough to play with. But every time, sooner or later, it went so bad I ended up having to tweak pieces back into place, and wondering if the other pieces were even in legal positions. When you are trying to figure out how to solve a puzzle you don't need to wonder if it is even possible due to poor quality and the problems it causes. So it is in my box of "won't play with this again" puzzles. I have been a big fan of mefferts.com over the years. It is one of a very short list of places I buy puzzles. I hope they do something to make this right. Oh yeah, I was also one that ordered the puzzle with stickers on the center pieces, and did not get them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 am 

If a company is not able to make a puzzle, well this society should not release it.
I think if a company want to sell a puzzle, this company should sell a good-quality puzzle. Otherwise, it is useless.

But this debate is a really actual : do I have to buy a product (for example a shirt or a sofa), locally made, with high quality, but 5 times the price of the same product, but with poor quality, made in Asia ?

I hope mass production will not now become the beginning of plenty poor puzzles era. Otherwise, instead of buying 20 puzzles a year at 30$, I will buy 3 puzzles a year at 200$.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:47 pm 

alacoume wrote:
If a company is not able to make a puzzle, well this society should not release it.
I think if a company want to sell a puzzle, this company should sell a good-quality puzzle. Otherwise, it is useless.

But this debate is a really actual : do I have to buy a product (for example a shirt or a sofa), locally made, with high quality, but 5 times the price of the same product, but with poor quality, made in Asia ?

I hope mass production will not now become the beginning of plenty poor puzzles era. Otherwise, instead of buying 20 puzzles a year at 30$, I will buy 3 puzzles a year at 200$.

Good point. Imagine if every article of clothing you bought at the store had to have alterations done to make it wearable. I certainly enjoy wearing nice clothes, but I know nothing about how to do hems/alterations with thread and needle. Perhaps some individuals feel the same way about puzzles. They may enjoy twisting/solving/collection aspects, but not be any good at modding or tweaking. Even though I myself enjoy a good puzzle, it is somewhat annoying sometimes to perform assembly, disassembly, lubrication, retensioning, Dremel Drill, Super Glue, trips to the hardware store to by screws/washers, stealing springs out of old ink pens, DIY kits, etc. It's fine if I set aside time in advance to work on a hobby project (like if I bought a Shapeways kit or plan on doing a handbuilt puzzle mod), but the necessity of performing this kind of mod work just to make a factory made puzzle playable is unreasonable, especially as it may turn off newbies to the otherwise unique and fun twisty puzzle hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:01 pm 

Ok,

I stand corrected.
I spoke too soon.
I have managed to jam up this puzzle many times.
I may have created ilegal moves as well :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:11 pm 

delbert wrote:
Ok,

I stand corrected.
I spoke too soon.

Ditto
But I may have found a way to fix the problem without having to buy screws or washers. I cut each spring about 4 coils up and placed this in the hole that the core sinks into. Then I put the larger part of the spring where it was originally. However now the puzzle is VERY loose so I need to cut the smaller springs down farther. I will get around to that tomorrow because I am tired of messing with it right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 am 

oBNoo wrote:
delbert wrote:
Ok,

I stand corrected.
I spoke too soon.

Ditto
But I may have found a way to fix the problem without having to buy screws or washers. I cut each spring about 4 coils up and placed this in the hole that the core sinks into. Then I put the larger part of the spring where it was originally. However now the puzzle is VERY loose so I need to cut the smaller springs down farther. I will get around to that tomorrow because I am tired of messing with it right now.
As long as you use springs to tension the puzzle, it will remain squishy. EMPEROR_COW stated that he used five washers underneath the corners to basically extend the arms of the core. If I understand correctly, the puzzle uses the same ball core as the regular pyraminx, and there is a large gap between the core and the puzzle. Using springs underneath the puzzle won't fix the gap problem; it will still be squishy!

I'm off to the hardware store to buy some 18mm M3s and washers. Will report back later...

===================
Update Wed, Feb. 8th:

Well, I decided to use #4-40 3/4 inch screws instead (US_Standard), which are nearly the same size as M3 18mm, and work equally well for this puzzle, along with metric M3 washers. The washers I used are wider than DIY kits, and just barely fit snug underneath the corners, so I dodged a bullet there! To keep the washers from falling out, I find it easier to reassemble the puzzle up-side down with the core on top and the corner on the bottom. I found that placing four washers between corner and core and one washer underneath the screw head works best. With five washers between core and corner (based on EMPEROR_COW's recommendation), the puzzle exploded, and with three washers, the puzzle was too tight to finish assembly. I had to tighten all four of the screws to the point what the washer was flush against the inside of the corner part. I also gouged out some plastic off the screw hole inside the edge gears to eliminate any and all wiggle room, so that the edge gears are now truly flush with the edge base (previously, the washer rested on the edge gear rather than the edge base, so there was about .5mm wiggle room in the edge gears, which I considered too much play. Post modification, the Gear Pyraminx rotates decently at best. I can feel the lumps of the gears rotating as I turn the puzzle. If I loosen up the corner tension even slightly (half turn ccw) so that the corners can rotate freely, the puzzle deforms losing it's shape and then gears begin to bind. As it sits, my now springless puzzle rotates pop-free but is still slightly difficult to turn, although I think that the resistance can be subdued with silicone spray. Even with the modifications, I believe that some friction resistance is absolutely necessary to prevent the puzzle from misaligning during corner rotation. I am away at school right now, but I have 4-5 half used cans of Dupont Teflon/Silicone spray lube at home, so it would be kind of wasteful for me to buy another can locally just to spray my puzzle, until I use up the stock I already have at home. So I will wait until weekend before I apply the lube.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:59 pm 

Has anyone ordered up center stickers for this yet? I pre-ordered mine so it came without the stickers, and I would rather get set of stickers for all 6 of the center pieces rather than just the 3 that Mefferts offers. I have emailed Dr Sticker but haven't received a reply yet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 am 

I have received my stock of gear pyraminx for several days. The puzzle comes as mostly stickered, and with a DIY stickers set for the 6 center parts. The quality of my stock is quite good to me, and turns well.
Share with you all the video below,
Meffert's Gear Pyraminx Review @ HK Now Store
Enjoy !

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 pm 

I ordered a gear pyraminx from mefferts very soon after they were up for sale(January 4th, according to paypal), and I have still not received mine. I know the site said it was pre-order and that it would take longer, but I see lots of other people got theirs awhile ago. Has anyone else that bought theirs around that time not received it yet?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:21 pm 

excalvin wrote:
I have received my stock of gear pyraminx for several days. The puzzle comes as mostly stickered, and with a DIY stickers set for the 6 center parts. The quality of my stock is quite good to me, and turns well.
Share with you all the video below,
Meffert's Gear Pyraminx Review @ HK Now Store
Enjoy !

It looks like Meffert's made some improvements after the initial batch was shipped out. Turning looks much improved and they come with the 6 center stickers. I'm glad to see this puzzle improved but I'm even more upset that those of us who pre-ordered directly from Meffert's got the short end with these. I know that many, including me, have emailed Meffert's about these puzzles. Has anyone received a response? I haven't. Meffert's sent out a bad batch of puzzles to many of us and I would like to know if there is anything to be done about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:40 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
It looks like Meffert's made some improvements after the initial batch was shipped out. Turning looks much improved and they come with the 6 center stickers. I'm glad to see this puzzle improved but I'm even more upset that those of us who pre-ordered directly from Meffert's got the short end with these. I know that many, including me, have emailed Meffert's about these puzzles. Has anyone received a response? I haven't. Meffert's sent out a bad batch of puzzles to many of us and I would like to know if there is anything to be done about it.

Sent I think 4 emails so far without a single word in response. I agree that the HKNowstore videos shows a improved version I think, and the centre stickers look so much better too :(
Almost as if we're getting 'punished' for pre-ordering.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm 

I don't think that it looks improved. Take the early gear pyraminx from a solved position and only spin one corner. It turns very good. The problem comes when you actually scramble it and turn more than 1 corner.

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:47 pm 

I pre-ordered mine through the Jade's site as soon as it was announced and I still do not have the puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:56 pm 

Benf207 wrote:
I don't think that it looks improved. Take the early gear pyraminx from a solved position and only spin one corner. It turns very good. The problem comes when you actually scramble it and turn more than 1 corner.

Ben

Agreed ...
For a better test I suggest turning 3 corners minimum so that when the next turn happens the edge gears are not flush. Then we can really see if the it was acctually improved.

1 corner always worked fine ... (or fine-ish )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 am 

Cyberdman wrote:
I pre-ordered mine through the Jade's site as soon as it was announced and I still do not have the puzzle.

You are not alone. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
Well, I decided to use #4-40 3/4 inch screws instead (US_Standard), which are nearly the same size as M3 18mm, and work equally well for this puzzle, along with metric M3 washers. The washers I used are wider than DIY kits, and just barely fit snug underneath the corners, so I dodged a bullet there! To keep the washers from falling out, I find it easier to reassemble the puzzle up-side down with the core on top and the corner on the bottom. I found that placing four washers between corner and core and one washer underneath the screw head works best. With five washers between core and corner (based on EMPEROR_COW's recommendation), the puzzle exploded, and with three washers, the puzzle was too tight to finish assembly. I had to tighten all four of the screws to the point what the washer was flush against the inside of the corner part. I also gouged out some plastic off the screw hole inside the edge gears to eliminate any and all wiggle room, so that the edge gears are now truly flush with the edge base (previously, the washer rested on the edge gear rather than the edge base, so there was about .5mm wiggle room in the edge gears, which I considered too much play. Post modification, the Gear Pyraminx rotates decently at best. I can feel the lumps of the gears rotating as I turn the puzzle. If I loosen up the corner tension even slightly (half turn ccw) so that the corners can rotate freely, the puzzle deforms losing it's shape and then gears begin to bind. As it sits, my now springless puzzle rotates pop-free but is still slightly difficult to turn, although I think that the resistance can be subdued with silicone spray. Even with the modifications, I believe that some friction resistance is absolutely necessary to prevent the puzzle from misaligning during corner rotation. I am away at school right now, but I have 4-5 half used cans of Dupont Teflon/Silicone spray lube at home, so it would be kind of wasteful for me to buy another can locally just to spray my puzzle, until I use up the stock I already have at home. So I will wait until weekend before I apply the lube.
I take back what I said about any claims of improvement. The puzzle randomly started loosening and tightening the screws until it became a bigger mess than before. So I have now removed the washers and #4-40 screws I bought, and put the factory installed screws/springs back in. At least with the factory screw/spring combos, you can tighten them 100% and know that the puzzle will be semi-functional. In fact, there still seems to be a modest improvement over the original puzzle simply by taking the 5.mm or so of slack out of the edge pieces, but I am done trying to improve this puzzle. I'm at a loss for what to do with it besides throw it in the bottom puzzle bin as another addition to that part of my puzzle collection that I don't really play with often. Ultimately, this factory production Meffert Puzzle is a fail in my book; it feels like I'm handling an early prototype rather than a finished product. No offense meant at all towards Shim/Timur the inventor of this fascinating puzzle, and I hope he doesn't see it as such.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 am 

Cyberdman wrote:

I ordered mine when it became available for shipping, and it arrived here in the UK yesterday.

The centres didn't come stickered but the stickers were supplied in the bag for me to put on myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:56 am 

Thanks for that. I just had a thought I wonder if it has to do with puzzle color. I'd be curious from those who have received them so far, have they all been black puzzles? I ordered mine in white. Maybe that is the delay? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 am 

Cyberdman wrote:
Thanks for that. I just had a thought I wonder if it has to do with puzzle color. I'd be curious from those who have received them so far, have they all been black puzzles? I ordered mine in white. Maybe that is the delay? :?:

Mine is white and I was one of the very first to get it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 am 

Oh well, that rules out that theory. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 pm 

Meffert's Gear Pyraminx can be hand-reworked to a playable puzzle and here's the proof :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZDAl1LZXKk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 pm 

can you elaborate on what you mean by "hand-reworked" ??

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 am 

I tried the washers/screws trick at varying thicknesses (read my earlier posts), and I couldn't get satisfactory results out of my puzzle. Additionally, I went one step further and took some of the wiggle out of the edges. I finally gave up when the puzzle started tightening/loosening itself and put the original screw/spring combos back in. :|

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 am 

I have decided to do the modification, I know that this may sound stupid but where do the washers go?
I have exactly the same washers and screws that Timur has advised but the screws cannot reach through the centre piece with the 6 washers underneath it.

Do the go somewhere else?

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 am 

Just received my Black Gear Pyraminx. The center stickers were not on the puzzle, but were supplied. Mine turns OK - it is certainly not for speed cubing, but I have had no real misalignment problems. Sometimes I have to tap the puzzle on a flat surface to "square-up" the faces, but overall I am quite happy with this puzzle. Just to put some balance on this thread - well done Timur and thanks Uwe :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:14 am 

Robert111 wrote:
I have decided to do the modification, I know that this may sound stupid but where do the washers go?
I have exactly the same washers and screws that Timur has advised but the screws cannot reach through the centre piece with the 6 washers underneath it
The M5 washers are for the edge pieces (and you need only 6, not 24!). I placed each washer between the parts of edge assemblies so that the edge gear is about 1.5 mm higher above its basement. Of course, it's possible to undo the edge gear screws a little to have the same distance there, but in this case the gears will loosely rattle in solved state. The edge gear should be screwed so that they rotate without friction and without play at the same time.
The M3x12 screws should be tightened as long as the corners still turn without too strong resistance.
Gus wrote:
Sometimes I have to tap the puzzle on a flat surface to "square-up" the faces
This is possible only in shape-solved state, when the whole face is flat, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:23 am 

Many thanks Timur, I will do it the right way now :D

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 am 

I really want to take mine apart and do this too. But before I do so I really want to get a full set of replacement stickers since I expect that I'll end up damaging mine while taking them off. Also, since I was part of the initial shipment I never got the center stickers anyway.

Knowing that we know now I would have ordered the DIY version so that I could do this mod before applying the stickers in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:25 am 

I got mine in the mail last night. I totally forgot that I actually ordered the twins, black and white. They both came with center stickers un-applied and the black velvet bag is really a nice touch. The puzzle itself seemed to twist nice and smooth, although I only made one twist at a time very gingerly making sure everything was aligned. I didn't notice or feel any skipping, but again I was not really giving the puzzle any sort of work out and was extremely careful with it. I'd love to make it as sturdy and robust as Timur did to his, but I really am an amateur when it comes to stuff like that and don't feel too comfortable tearing the thing apart. Maybe if someone could do a Youtube demo of actually taking it apart and modding it and putting it back together I might try it. At least it isn't as crap a puzzle that the Mosaic Cube is, that thing is junk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 pm 

Timur wrote:
Meffert's Gear Pyraminx can be hand-reworked to a playable puzzle and here's the proof

I have now successfully done this modification at it has worked wonders, I know have a good puzzle :)

Volitar Prime wrote:
I really want to take mine apart and do this too. But before I do so I really want to get a full set of replacement stickers since I expect that I'll end up damaging mine while taking them off. Also, since I was part of the initial shipment I never got the center stickers anyway.

Knowing that we know now I would have ordered the DIY version so that I could do this mod before applying the stickers in the first place.

This was a worry of mine, as I do love the fluorescent labels. I carefully peeled off the stickers using a scarpal blade, stuck them onto a piece of greaseproof paper while I did the modifying, then cleaned off the puzzle, removing the old residue by wiping some methylated spirit on it. Then using 3M spray mount I reapplied the stickers. Doing the stickers this way works ok but I would like to get a replacement set and a centre set of stickers still.

This is the first Mefferts puzzle that I have had to modify due to its complete uselessness, but now I have an enjoyable puzzle. However I am deeply dissatisfied with the lack of communications from Mefferts, about the stickers and not replying to my countless emails, in my eyes its reputation has been negatively tainted and I feel strongly let down.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:16 pm 

Robert111 wrote:
Timur wrote:
Meffert's Gear Pyraminx can be hand-reworked to a playable puzzle and here's the proof

I have now successfully done this modification at it has worked wonders, I know have a good puzzle :)Robert

Have you tested it thoroughly? How many scrambles/solves have you done since the fix?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:36 pm 

robertpauljr wrote:
Have you tested it thoroughly? How many scrambles/solves have you done since the fix?

While I haven't solved it, I have scrambled it thoroughly without any hickups. While the puzzle is more stiff it feels much more sturdy, the edge gears don't wobble and there isn't any gear skips.

Robert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next