Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tips on organizing an organization
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 pm 

Hello everyone,
Recently I have been trying to organize a twisty puzzles organization (the TPO) in my school and look for a teacher to host it. I have the whole entire organization planned out but I still need a teacher to sponsor my organization as an after school activity. Does anybody have any advice on how to persuade, get, or find a teacher that would be willing to do so? So far I have asked my Math, English, Spanish, and Science teacher; however, all in vain. All advice is welcome.

(Also, I apologize in advance to content moderators if this topic is under the wrong subject :oops: )

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Tips on organizing an organization
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 pm 

I would think asking all of the math/science teachers in the school may give you better odds rather than just the teachers you have. If no one is insterested though, you may be out of luck.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 pm 

It is now 4a.m. and I am still up marking papers. Why? because there simply isn't enough time in the day to do it all and deadlines are looming. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. See, I haven't slept more than 4 hours a day since I moved over to this job.

Now if your teachers are like me, they need a really good reason to take on an extra bit of work-and let's face it, running an organization/club is just that. If they aren't interested in cubes, it will be pure torture for them and then it becomes the drudgery that could be better spent marking papers so they might be able to get that extra 15 minutes....wait, that's me. No! That's teaching. So your problem is making it less torture and more fun. How can you 'sell' what you want?

Just a thought, but have you considered a church group or a social organization rather than your school?

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 pm 

katsmom wrote:
How can you 'sell' what you want?

That is a very good question and a very good idea as well. My dad, who also happens to be a teacher, said something similar to that. So far, I have tried another teacher who also had a slight interest in puzzles in general, and presented him the idea of the organization and its course it will take. Then I pulled out my megaminx. He actually said that he would take up the organization if he wasn't the coach of the volleyball team which also occurs after school, but he did suggest asking the teachers in the science department of the school.
Anyways, thanks for the ideas! More are still welcome! And regarding katsmom's advice, if you have any ideas on how to "sell" the idea, that would be great!