Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Portland, ME
I don't have mine in hand yet, but a few things jump out at me:

1. It's very odd that some pieces have torpedoes and others do not. Seems that once you scramble this could lead to inconsistent performance.

2. The four intersections around the center piece do not have the "hole" like Dayan cubes. In other words, it's missing the 45 degree cuts near the corners of the faces. In my opinion, this is one of the things that makes Dayan cubes lock up less.

3. The centers look nothing like the original V-cube patent. I would've thought that would be the primary differentiator in their mechanism. To me this looks like it could be any random 3x3x3.

4. The "V-CUBE" imprint in the corner is gratuitous and unnecessary.

Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 pm
pelley wrote:
I don't have mine in hand yet, but a few things jump out at me:

1. It's very odd that some pieces have torpedoes and others do not. Seems that once you scramble this could lead to inconsistent performance.

2. The four intersections around the center piece do not have the "hole" like Dayan cubes. In other words, it's missing the 45 degree cuts near the corners of the faces. In my opinion, this is one of the things that makes Dayan cubes lock up less.

3. The centers look nothing like the original V-cube patent. I would've thought that would be the primary differentiator in their mechanism. To me this looks like it could be any random 3x3x3.

4. The "V-CUBE" imprint in the corner is gratuitous and unnecessary.

Chris


Your right about the torpedoes, when scrambled, sometimes you can cut 45°, sometimes only 20°, about the vcube imprint, you barely notice it, and if you want, you can sand it down with a little bit of sandpaper, but i find that that is unnassesairy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 pm
I've read in the comments of the video that the missing torpedoes are just broken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 pm
cisco wrote:
I've read in the comments of the video that the missing torpedoes are just broken.



Only 2 of them, they are low quality.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
This is pretty sad. They did not even stick with their original patent. Please tell me this is a joke? V-Cubes just lost my loyalty, I'm not buying this garbage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 pm
Synester wrote:
This is pretty sad. They did not even stick with their original patent. Please tell me this is a joke? V-Cubes just lost my loyalty, I'm not buying this garbage.


I know they made a bad move for the V3, but I believe that the V4 won't be a KO.
It's just because there are already SOOO many 3x3 designs, that I already predicted that it was going to ressembla a DaYan cube.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: Shelby Township, MI. USA
Japsiefy wrote:
I already predicted that it was going to ressembla a DaYan cube.

They should have made one that resembled a V-Cube then no one would have any reason to complain and they would have a unique product. I agree with some others that from what we can see this should be considered a KO of the DaYan cube. Especially considering other puzzles are often declared as KOs of V-Cubes even when there are some differences, often more than what we see in this case.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Maryland,USA
Volitar Prime wrote:
Japsiefy wrote:
I already predicted that it was going to ressembla a DaYan cube.

They should have made one that resembled a V-Cube then no one would have any reason to complain and they would have a unique product. I agree with some others that from what we can see this should be considered a KO of the DaYan cube. Especially considering other puzzles are often declared as KOs of V-Cubes even when there are some differences, often more than what we see in this case.


I agree. I guess this means we don't have to feel guilty for getting a better speedcube anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 pm
Synester wrote:
Volitar Prime wrote:
Japsiefy wrote:
I already predicted that it was going to ressembla a DaYan cube.

They should have made one that resembled a V-Cube then no one would have any reason to complain and they would have a unique product. I agree with some others that from what we can see this should be considered a KO of the DaYan cube. Especially considering other puzzles are often declared as KOs of V-Cubes even when there are some differences, often more than what we see in this case.


I agree. I guess this means we don't have to feel guilty for getting a better speedcube anymore.


Indeed. Every speecuber will have the same oppinion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:52 am
Where is this coooool v-cube design? I want the gaps in the edges for the centers to slide around in them. What's up with this cube?
urgh. I bought mine right away when they were available. This is to weird.

_________________
Life is simple.
eat. sleep. train. repeat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 pm
I didn't feel guilty before. I have every vcube product (except for illusions, flags, etc) but I even have both 2 and 2b. And I was waiting for getting both 3 and 3b. But I want them to look like the "original" vcubes, the ones that are nowhere but in paper.

I think somebody in this forum hand made what a v3 would look like, am I right? I can't find it now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Somewhere Else
No flanged center? That's like a Twinkie without the cream filling!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 pm
another video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSTm9y1F49Q


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
cisco wrote:

In this video I did not see any torpedos. Is this not strange? (I have not watched the video completely, though, but on 2:44 you see an edge very clearly.) In the first video we could see some at 3:35.

_________________
My collection at: http://sites.google.com/site/twistykon/home


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 pm
Location: Mexico City
Konrad wrote:
cisco wrote:

In this video I did not see any torpedos. Is this not strange? (I have not watched the video completely, though, but on 2:44 you see an edge very clearly.) In the first video we could see some at 3:35.


In Japsiefy video in the coments section I saw that he posted that one torpedo broke before even touching the cube and the other broke while he was lubing the cube, so maybe in the other review the guy had a cube with broken torpedos.

_________________
"There never was a time when you or I did not exist. Nor will there be any future when we shall cease to be"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Lawndale, NC
What I find strange is what people can't see that's right in front of their faces. V-cube didn't sue DaYan, and then take their design. V-cube sued DaYan because they're using the design that V-cube came out with. The reason the V-cube 3 looks like a DaYan is because DaYan took V-cube's design before V-cube could realease it. Therefore, the DaYan cubes look like a V-cube 3, not the other way around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Indiana
Since when does V-Cube make Guhongs?

_________________
-Jack Lopez


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Ridgefield, Connecticut
rpelkey13 wrote:
What I find strange is what people can't see that's right in front of their faces. V-cube didn't sue DaYan, and then take their design. V-cube sued DaYan because they're using the design that V-cube came out with. The reason the V-cube 3 looks like a DaYan is because DaYan took V-cube's design before V-cube could realease it. Therefore, the DaYan cubes look like a V-cube 3, not the other way around.


That is completely false. Take a look at the patent for the V-Cube 3, it uses the V-mech.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm
seriously, v-cube? This is a terrible fail. if they wanted an unpoppable cube they should have used their patented design, not an incredibly flimsy copied torpedo design. This is really just a KO. It looks exactly like a guhong.

_________________
PBs:single/Ao5/Ao12
3x3: 4.76/8.13/8.80
pyraminx: 0.89/1.87/2.19
4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Before we call this a knock-off does anyone actually know what Dayan thinks or if they were involved? I may have my facts wrong here but didn't V-Cubes decide not to sue Dayan in the end? Perhaps it was part of some deal.
Still don't get why V-Cubes get all this bashing when they have revolutionised puzzles.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Ridgefield, Connecticut
Tony Fisher wrote:
Before we call this a knock-off does anyone actually know what Dayan thinks or if they were involved? I may have my facts wrong here but didn't V-Cubes decide not to sue Dayan in the end? Perhaps it was part of some deal.
Still don't get why V-Cubes get all this bashing when they have revolutionised puzzles.

Why does V-Cube get bashing? Because they did not use their patented design. Instead they used an Dayan's mechanism. Sure they could have worked together, but I doubt they did because there is no mention of it anywhere. Therefore this should be labeled as a knock off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:56 pm
Location: Chicago,
I disagree. I have seen pictures of both dayan and v-cube mechanism, and while they look similar, v-cube has had this patent for a while. I don't think it's a knock off.

_________________
Nobody gets all that they want, and that is perfect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
Tony Fisher wrote:
Before we call this a knock-off does anyone actually know what Dayan thinks or if they were involved? I may have my facts wrong here but didn't V-Cubes decide not to sue Dayan in the end? Perhaps it was part of some deal.
Still don't get why V-Cubes get all this bashing when they have revolutionised puzzles.


They may have revolutionized big cubes but that should, under no circumstances, give them immunity from scrutiny. If V Cubes did not work with Dayan on this (which seems implausible) then it is safe to assume that they blatantly ripped off Dayan's design.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Lawndale, NC
Benf207 wrote:
rpelkey13 wrote:
What I find strange is what people can't see that's right in front of their faces. V-cube didn't sue DaYan, and then take their design. V-cube sued DaYan because they're using the design that V-cube came out with. The reason the V-cube 3 looks like a DaYan is because DaYan took V-cube's design before V-cube could realease it. Therefore, the DaYan cubes look like a V-cube 3, not the other way around.


That is completely false. Take a look at the patent for the V-Cube 3, it uses the V-mech.
]

So what if the current design doesn't match that of a drawing from several years ago. There is definitely more than just general similarities between the drawing and current design. To those that can see these differences, you can tell the only real differences are some angles. Besides, what about the possiblity of another patent that the general public doesn't know about so the same thing doesn't happen as with the 9x9 and 11x11?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: V-Cube 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Orange County, CA
This is disappointing to say the least...but I'm withholding judgement until we hear more information about this. It definitely seems fishy, but I'm sure someone "in the know" can clarify the situation.

_________________
-Garrett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2000 3:17 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Can we please keep the topic together. No more offshoots please.

_________________
Rox's Rambling Blog
Katsmom's Puzzling Videos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Ridgefield, Connecticut
May someone enlighten me with what there is to clarify? We have 2 videos that both demonstrate an obvious Dayan knock off. I don't get why people are under the impression that V-Cubes can't do anything wrong. Open your eyes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I think it's been pretty well established that something doesn't have to be illegal to be a KO. A while ago I remember controversy over whether the Dayan cubes, which look almost nothing like in the V-cube patent, infringed on the patent. Now V-Cubes releases a rip-off of the exact mechanism without any apparent consent from Dayan/mf8, and we don't blink an eye?

Unless Dayan/mf8 comes out and says they've had a deal with V-Cubes, I don't see any reason at all to support this puzzle.

_________________
-sj

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Benf207 wrote:
May someone enlighten me with what there is to clarify? We have 2 videos that both demonstrate an obvious Dayan knock off. I don't get why people are under the impression that V-Cubes can't do anything wrong. Open your eyes!


I agree! And it wouldn't be so bad if V-Cube wasn't the company that always complained about getting copied, even when people partially used their designs.

Also, even if the design was 100% legit, it looks to be inferior to the zhanchi or even the guhong, both on corner cutting and overall smoothness of turning. Considering it is much more expensive than either of those, I dare to say V Cube has failed on that point alone. Add in the glaring problem of it possibly being a KO, and its no wonder people are upset.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
Monopoly wrote:
I think it's been pretty well established that something doesn't have to be illegal to be a KO. A while ago I remember controversy over whether the Dayan cubes, which look almost nothing like in the V-cube patent, infringed on the patent. Now V-Cubes releases a rip-off of the exact mechanism without any apparent consent from Dayan/mf8, and we don't blink an eye?

Unless Dayan/mf8 comes out and says they've had a deal with V-Cubes, I don't see any reason at all to support this puzzle.


I agree with you. I think fairness is the most important thing.

When some high order cubes came out, we didn't wait for Mr. Verdes to say there was no permission, to ban the cubes. So this time I don't think we need to wait for Dayan to say there was no permission. In any case, if later Dayan does say they've had a deal, we can resume the discussion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Monopoly wrote:
Now V-Cubes releases a rip-off of the exact mechanism without any apparent consent from Dayan/mf8, and we don't blink an eye?
I suppose that depends on your definition of "we" and "blink an eye".

If by "we" you mean the community, this thread has received quite a bit of eye blinking.

As it happens, for those who might not know, the staff of the forum do check with those who may be the victims of copying when an apparent KO comes out. Of course getting some facts and the views of the relevant parties is important.

This isn't what I had expected either, and I am curious to find out more. I think the previous issue of a patent claim between Verdes and DaYan that was dropped is relevant here, and knowing more is prudent before making assumptions.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 am
It is incredible that Verdes would:

a. Not use the design for the V-3 in their own patent.
b. Use the SAME mechanism that the guhong uses.
c. Use cheap plastic. Mine feels like brittle cheap plastic as opposed to the V5.
d. Pass of this mechanism as their own when it clearly does not resemble the V3 patent.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but does that not make this a KO? Dayan used their own design (which is very different from Verdes) and then Verdes goes any uses the same mech...sounds like a blatant case to call this cube a knockoff. It doesn't matter about their previous reputation, when they rebrand someone elses cube as their own and then mark it up because of it being a "brand name" that is despicable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
I'm no moderator, but I have a request: Can we only say something that hasn't been said before? Every single post on this current page is either an identical complaint or someone saying more info is needed (katsmom's post being the only exception, and her post I agree with).

This thread is boring and redundant and I want to read about the 3x3x3 V-Cube, as is the topic, and while yes that may involve similarities between the V-Cube and the Dayan cube, I don't want to miss any valuable information that gets hidden and buried beneath a mountain of repetitive posts.


My personal opinion: V-Cubes probably knows that most speedcubers are going for Dayan already, so their similarity in mechanism may appeal, or the Dayan-loyal cubers (myself included) just won't end up buying the V-Cube anyway because of how far Dayan has come. Their target audience then is only a little of speedcubers and more casual cubers or collectors.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Ender Delphiki wrote:
I'm no moderator, but I have a request: Can we only say something that hasn't been said before?[...]This thread is boring and redundant and I want to read about the 3x3x3 V-Cube, as is the topic, and while yes that may involve similarities between the V-Cube and the Dayan cube, I don't want to miss any valuable information that gets hidden and buried beneath a mountain of repetitive posts.
I suspect many members have been staying out of the discussion because they don't have anything to say (I have). Your post warrants a response though. The forum and the threads on the forum do not exist for either your entertainment or your edification. Most of the posts in this thread have been thoughtful and reasoned. I think people have legitimate concerns.

I can't explain this V-3 any better than anyone else. It sure as heck looks like a KO to me. It makes you wonder what deals are being done behind closed doors. We recently saw the new 8x8x8 that Dave says appears to be using some V-mech ideas. I wonder if there is some IP sharing going on?

I too think that in an effort to play fair this KO should be redacted/banned from the forum. Unfortunately the cat is out of the bag and trying to put it back in now will just cause more trouble than it's worth.

_________________
Prior to using my real name I posted under the account named bmenrigh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 am
Quote:
Can we only say something that hasn't been said before?

I just want an 8x8x8.

_________________
Youtube Twisty Puzzling
Blogger Twisty Puzzling - Simple Solutions for Puzzling Twisties
Tutorials: Pitcher Octo-Star Cube | GERANIUM | Wheel of Wisdom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Regarding KO talk: Do remember that when there was the first claim that the Guhong infringed the Verdes patent we didn't immediately designate it KO. We took the time to find out what was going on and kept people up to date. This is quite a bit different from a new 7x7x7 showing up where there is little plausible doubt of the mechanism infringing.

We'll apply the same logic here: I am currently asking those who actually have information (as contrasted with the various opinions voiced here) to clarify and we'll see where this lands.

Keep in mind that reports from the Verdes/Guhong situation last year made it clear there was extensive discussion between the parties on this exact matter. Here are direct comments from a Verdes representative on the http://www.speedcubing.com forum, and two posts later note Tyson Mao says:
Tyson Mao wrote:
Please understand that both Matt and I have worked very hard to make what has happened possible, and I am hoping that the community will respect the actions taken by V-Cubes, and the effort that went into making it possible.
So what went in to these discussions and what was the arrangement? I'm quite certain no one who has posted here knows (I certainly don't).

But given the effort that went into those negotiations why jump to the conclusion that a year later Verdes is acting without DaYan's consent?

Did anyone consider it could have involved cross licensing?

People have been worked up about this but until we get some basic information from the source it seems quite premature to me.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
rline wrote:
Ender Delphiki wrote:
Can we only say something that hasn't been said before?
I just want an 8x8x8.
I will second what Ender Delphiki said, and would hope that "on topic" is implied.

Dave :)

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
DLitwin wrote:
...People have been worked up about this but until we get some basic information from the source it seems quite premature to me.

Dave
I'm very proud to have you as a moderate moderator. Thank you Dave! :) Yesterday I tried to express the same thing in different words:
Quote:
Isn't it a bit early to jump to any conclusions? We all can speculate only about the legal issues or possible arrangements between the companies involved.

_________________
My collection at: http://sites.google.com/site/twistykon/home


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:58 pm
Location: Louisiana, US
I would like to ask a question, to any of you who have recieved their V-Cube 3s:

What is this talk about the "torpedos breaking off" issue? I'm pretty sure that the "torpedo" concept was pioneered by the Dayan company, as there is absolutely nothing concerning the original V-Cube patent, nor the internals of any v5-7 edge parts. If these "torpedo" parts are indeed breaking off from the v3 edge pieces during moderate handling of the cube, then that is a serious design flaw which should have been addressed before prior to the the v3 heading to market. Can anybody who has recieved their v3 confirm that there is an issue with broken internals?

KO issues aside, the more I read into this thread, the more I am glad I didn't immediately jump on the bandwagon and order one. Years ago, someone released the "Pro-Minx" which was based on the patented version of the v3 mechanism. These were said to be extremely good megaminxes which were practically indestructable, and once were sold for around $100 USD. I don't care what if it takes an act of congress to get it produced, I want an unpoppable v3 replica exactly like the one shown in the patent drawings. :scrambled:

_________________
My Creepy 3D Rubik's Cube Video
cisco wrote:
Yeah, Uwe is Dalai Lama and Paganotis is mother Teresa of Calcutta.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 pm
stardust4ever, these are the kind of posts that make me miss a "Like" button in forums.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
stardust4ever wrote:
Years ago, someone released the "Pro-Minx" which was based on the patented version of the v3 mechanism. These were said to be extremely good megaminxes which were practically indestructable, and once were sold for around $100 USD.
Oh... I remember that and had wanted to get one eventually and I simply forgot about them. Are these still available? Who offered them? Looks like I need to do some hunting when I find some time.
stardust4ever wrote:
I don't care what if it takes an act of congress to get it produced, I want an unpoppable v3 replica exactly like the one shown in the patent drawings. :scrambled:
I tend to agree. And a page ago I saw you posted this picture.

Image

What is this? Who made it? This looks to be very close to the V3 as seen in the patent to me. Almost looks like a 6x6x6 with pieces glued together. Just not sure what I'm looking at here. A V-Cube prototype? A Custom? What?

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
If I was V-Cubes I don't think I would bother making puzzles any more. Impatience, insults, (slanderous?) accusations, rumours would make me wonder why I bothered. I just hope they are making a lot of money out of it.
I predicted the 3x3x3 would be their next puzzle and I would also bet a sizable sum that the design is both legal and with good reason.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Tony Fisher on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:11 am
wwwmwww wrote:
What is this? Who made it? This looks to be very close to the V3 as seen in the patent to me. Almost looks like a 6x6x6 with pieces glued together. Just not sure what I'm looking at here. A V-Cube prototype? A Custom? What?

Carl


It is exactly a 6x6 with pieces glued together. Chris Tran had done this a while back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:32 pm
Here we can see another picture of what a v3 should look like

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Penne
Hello I do not know if anyone has ever shown;
However, I shot a video shot a video of the assembly of the new DIY pillowed white v-cube 3
the puzzle is beautiful with a lot of attention to detail, is made in greece, and in the package are 3 different types of springs
hard, medium and soft, I mounted medium springs in the video, later i will add subtitles.
Now i'm applying the Oracal adhesives white+black set and after lubrication i will publish some solves on my channel.
Is beautiful to buy absolutely a great addition to any collection
best regards
Rafael

p.s. after putting a drop of lubricant (I find it personally) I realized that the v-3 is too much better in comparison to the dayan guhong I can not imagine how much better can be cubic version also add that I'm not very skilled in the regulation of the mechanism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0tIJeQoWQc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-40rkfT5o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9jhN46tK_g


Attachments:
100_4677.JPG
100_4677.JPG [ 760.81 KiB | Viewed 4611 times ]

_________________
My Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RFLo9Puzzles
My on going Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rflo9puz ... 1597254061


Last edited by RFLo9Puzzles on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:58 pm
Location: Louisiana, US
cisco wrote:
Here we can see another picture of what a v3 should look like

That is a very nice custom job! Are those printed or casted?

LOL, I'm on a mobile device (3DS) right now so I can't view the youtube videos until I get to a computer. Can't wait to see the review posted by RFLo9puzzles; I'm sure it is great! :D

_________________
My Creepy 3D Rubik's Cube Video
cisco wrote:
Yeah, Uwe is Dalai Lama and Paganotis is mother Teresa of Calcutta.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 am
stardust4ever wrote:
cisco wrote:
Here we can see another picture of what a v3 should look like

That is a very nice custom job! Are those printed or casted?

LOL, I'm on a mobile device (3DS) right now so I can't view the youtube videos until I get to a computer. Can't wait to see the review posted by RFLo9puzzles; I'm sure it is great! :D


It looks like a cast puzzle. An artform which has been lost to Shapeways.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
malevolant wrote:
It looks like a cast puzzle. An artform which has been lost to Shapeways.
Not totally. In someways its being promoted by Shapeways. See I found the Pro-Minx but you need to mold and cast the parts yourself.

Which gave me an idea. I know how to design puzzles and submit models to Shapeways. Is there anything keeping me from designing my own V3 and Pro-Minx and putting them on Shapeways just for myself? Clearly I can't sell them but I was curious what the opinion here would be? Then again I suppose there is nothing stopping anyone from doing this and just not telling anyone either. Don't worry, I haven't done this and don't plan on doing it anytime soon either. Too many other original designs I'm already behind on.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3x3x3 V-Cube !!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 am
wwwmwww wrote:
malevolant wrote:
It looks like a cast puzzle. An artform which has been lost to Shapeways.
Not totally. In someways its being promoted by Shapeways. See I found the Pro-Minx but you need to mold and cast the parts yourself.

Which gave me an idea. I know how to design puzzles and submit models to Shapeways. Is there anything keeping me from designing my own V3 and Pro-Minx and putting them on Shapeways just for myself? Clearly I can't sell them but I was curious what the opinion here would be? Then again I suppose there is nothing stopping anyone from doing this and just not telling anyone either. Don't worry, I haven't done this and don't plan on doing it anytime soon either. Too many other original designs I'm already behind on.

Carl


Yeah the problem is that shapeways puzzles are very rough, and (sorry if I'm wrong) Plastruct Bondene doesn't work well on the pieces. The only option is to sit and sand meticulously for hours.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: V3 - First impressions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Portland, ME
It just arrived and here's my initial impression: Somehow it feels like a V-Cube. It has a very loud crunch as you turn it, but it twists smoothly and has a fantastic elasticity to it. Feels large in the hands compared to a Dayan, plus the cubies are sharper around the edges. There are actually small 45 degree cuts on the interior intersections, but they're smaller and less noticable than a Dayan.

I ordered a preassembled white V3, and none of the edges have the torpedoes. The cube doesn't seem too poppy so far.

It might take a while to adjust to this cube, but so far I do like it a lot. It may not be what the original patent depicted, but it's a winner.

Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group