Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Go.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:44 pm 

Anyone here play Go? (圍棋) (围棋) (囲碁) (바둑)

I'm a novice at this point, and am finding the game my favorite puzzle so far. Its rules are deceptively simple, allowing for endless complexities in strategy which today are still being uncovered and analyzed.

It's the only game in which humans can still reliably beat computers.

Anyone here play?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Post subject: Re: Go.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:00 am 

Yes, I played GO (see my introduction here).

But it's only occasional that I play it currently: no one nearby to compete with, and awfull lack of time (to do everything that has my interest).
There are several Go clubs around (on the internet, per country etc.), so you can probably join somewhere to further get skilled.

(My skills have far reduced. Maybe I can take it up again sometime)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:21 pm 

My wife and I tried playing once, but I think we got the instructions wrong because whoever went first would always win. We just used the instructions that came with the game.
Are there any good websites with super easy to follow directions, rather than ones in broken english? I'm sure there are and I could always google them, but it's nice to know from someone who actually plays what a good site may be.

-d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 pm 

I learned the rules from a friend in high-school, but I really started getting into it when I joined the Go club at the college I went to. It really is almost like a 2 player puzzle game. For anyone familiar with the ranking system, I'm approximately 2 kyu, give or take a rank.

darryl wrote:
My wife and I tried playing once, but I think we got the instructions wrong because whoever went first would always win. We just used the instructions that came with the game.
Are there any good websites with super easy to follow directions, rather than ones in broken english? I'm sure there are and I could always google them, but it's nice to know from someone who actually plays what a good site may be.

Perhaps the instructions that came with it were for a different game, gomoku, which can be played on the same board with the same pieces. In any case, one site I like that has a lot of useful information is Sensei's Library: http://senseis.xmp.net/
They have a beginners section (linked on the front page) with pages that explain the rules and basic concepts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:05 pm 

PM me, I think I have the rules right. TP chat, perhaps?

I am learning! I will eventually be good at this game.

Any way to play online? KGS go server, perhaps?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.