Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
The file looks fine. As Tom mentioned earlier, you don't have to do the shelling (and filleting, etc.) for every piece; there are duplicated parts.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
will_57 wrote:
The file looks fine. As Tom mentioned earlier, you don't have to do the shelling (and filleting, etc.) for every piece; there are duplicated parts.


Actually I think I do. It seems like all the parts that look like duplicates actually are mirrors of each other, so wouldn't that mean that I would have to do shelling and filleting to all of them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Looking more closely at the file, I noticed that some of the cuts are off center. Was this intentional? If so, then there probably are more unique parts than I originally thought. If there are any mirrors, though, you can always just use the mirror function rather than doing all of the filleting and shelling twice.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
will_57 wrote:
Looking more closely at the file, I noticed that some of the cuts are off center. Was this intentional? If so, then there probably are more unique parts than I originally thought. If there are any mirrors, though, you can always just use the mirror function rather than doing all of the filleting and shelling twice.


Yeah I didn't think of trying the mirror function. What do you mean by off center?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Some of the parts that look like mirrors are not actually mirrors. For example: the two selected edges in the image below are not equal.


Attachments:
3x3 Dodecahedron.JPG
3x3 Dodecahedron.JPG [ 36.39 KiB | Viewed 1269 times ]

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
will_57 wrote:
Some of the parts that look like mirrors are not actually mirrors. For example: the two selected edges in the image below are not equal.


Oh wow, I didn't notice that. I already shelled each individual piece anyway though, now I need fillets, screws, and a core. I think I might edit the sketch a bit to make a ball core. TomZ earlier said that I should make center caps for screws, but I was looking through the comments on one of Oskar's videos and he mentioned that he just puts the hole directly on the piece and covers it with a sticker. Could it be easier to just try that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
will_57 wrote:
Some of the parts that look like mirrors are not actually mirrors. For example: the two selected edges in the image below are not equal.


Oh and now I see what you mean by off center. No, it wasn't intentional. When I was inserting the the dodecahedron into the cube, I was trying to make it as centered as possible, but it wasn't perfect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Jake_L wrote:
TomZ earlier said that I should make center caps for screws, but I was looking through the comments on one of Oskar's videos and he mentioned that he just puts the hole directly on the piece and covers it with a sticker. Could it be easier to just try that?

I wouldn't recommend that, as the sticker would sink into the hole. Additionally, you wouldn't be able to do the same thing for edge or vertex turning puzzles, so you're probably better off designing actual caps.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
will_57 wrote:
Jake_L wrote:
TomZ earlier said that I should make center caps for screws, but I was looking through the comments on one of Oskar's videos and he mentioned that he just puts the hole directly on the piece and covers it with a sticker. Could it be easier to just try that?

I wouldn't recommend that, as the sticker would sink into the hole. Additionally, you wouldn't be able to do the same thing for edge or vertex turning puzzles, so you're probably better off designing actual caps.


Thats what I was thinking. My only issue with it is that I am having a fair amount of trouble designing the center cap. It might not look quite as good, but it seems like this would be a lot easier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
Sorry its been nearly a week. I've been caught up in work, but today I got to work on the puzzle for a while. I ended up adding fillets and shells to every piece individually and I have a picture here:
Attachment:
3x3 Dodechahedron Parts.JPG
3x3 Dodechahedron Parts.JPG [ 148.22 KiB | Viewed 1145 times ]
all I have left is a core and screws. I can add screws fine, but I'm trying to make the core. I cant decide if I should use a ball core because its a dodecahedron, or the other one (I don't know what its called) because its a 3x3. I tried going back and editing the original sketch a little to make an arc so it would create the ball core, but for some reason it didn't change the pieces at all. Anyone have ideas?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
Could we have a picture of the sketch?

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
Luke wrote:
Could we have a picture of the sketch?


Ok. I realized my issue was that I was editing the wrong sketch so I went back and changed the real one to this:
Attachment:
3x3 Dodechahedron Parts Sketch.JPG
3x3 Dodechahedron Parts Sketch.JPG [ 17.5 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
But it didn't create a sphere, it created what looks like 6 spheres fused together and that caused the pieces to look a bit weird. I think I should have finished the core and everything before adding shells and fillets to the pieces.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:21 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
My guess would be one of two things. Either the axis you are using to revolve the sketch is off center, or the arc is not centered at the origin.

_________________
Katniss wrote:
Only on this forum would people use a V-cube 7 as a size comparison for a cat :lol:

My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
Again, sorry its been a couple of days. I've been working for a couple days and I realized that I didn't really like my design. I wanted a puzzle that was the same on all sides, so I made this:
Attachment:
3x3 Dodecahedron2.JPG
3x3 Dodecahedron2.JPG [ 47.72 KiB | Viewed 952 times ]
But, then I did a little research and found that it had already been made with the exact same design on every side here. So I've decided that instead of a dodecahedron I think I'll I try a different shape. I was thinking maybe a tetrahedron.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
Jake_L wrote:
So I've decided that instead of a dodecahedron I think I'll I try a different shape. I was thinking maybe a tetrahedron.

Just a little advice, if you want to create a puzzle that does not exist, try to do something other than a 3x3 mod. Most of them already exist.
As your dodecahedron, the 3x3 tetrahedron already exist, it's a Mastermorphix

will_57 wrote:
My guess would be one of two things. Either the axis you are using to revolve the sketch is off center, or the arc is not centered at the origin.

I looked his .sldprt file and it's the solid(dodecahedron ) that is not centered. He imported it and placed it off center, then with a bunch of "body move/copy"he centered it.
I don't know if it is the file that you imported that is not centered, but when importing another file, instead of placing it with the mouse, simply click the "done"(or check) button, it will place it in center.

_________________
My Shapeways shop


Last edited by polymaker on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
Just a little advice. If you are trying to learn how to design puzzles, start with something simple, master the software, and eventually you end up with this. It doesn't really matter that a puzzle has been done before, do it for yourself, and your own satisfaction.

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Puzzle designing help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 pm
polymaker wrote:
Jake_L wrote:
So I've decided that instead of a dodecahedron I think I'll I try a different shape. I was thinking maybe a tetrahedron.

As your dodecahedron, the 3x3 tetrahedron already exist, it's a Mastermorphix


I feel a little stupid now, because I already own that puzzle and I completely forgot about it :D.

polymaker wrote:
Just a little advice, if you want to create a puzzle that does not exist, try to do something other than a 3x3 mod. Most of them already exist.


I've been really wanting to do something other than 3x3 mods, I just don't really understand how to go about doing it. I can't really figure out how to do anything other than 3x3s in the program. I attempted a 4x4, but it didn't work. To make a higher order cube, would you have to make several revolved surfaces?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group