Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Normal Circle Megaminx finally mass produced
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:09 am 

All,

I just ordered one of these:

http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/zh-CHT/item.aspx?corpname=nowstore&itemid=5dad07d8-b49e-4bab-8ace-2dce2f09ff89

Its a normal Circle Megaminx in colored plastic. I haven't seen this mentioned before and I searched too so I hope I didn't miss it. I never got the Crazy Plus Megaminxs because I'm holding out for a kit so I was glad to see this finally offered. It will go great with the normal circle tetrahedron which I have.

Now I just need a normal circle 3x3x3 in colored plastic to go with these. I'm aware of the solid red one seen here. Anyone aware of a 6 color version?

Carl

P.S. Any update on the Crazy Octahedron? I hope they make a normal version in colored plastic of that too.

Post subject: Re: Normal Circle Megaminx finally mass produced
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:11 pm 

Great news!

Still hoping for an all black version.

Nobody won't buy a puzzle because it comes in traditional black/stickers, but alot of people won't buy the solid color version. MF8 is segmenting an already small market, and I think that's a pretty poor business plan.

But what do I know. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:08 am 

I was extremely excited when I saw normal circle megaminx but immediately lost any want to buy when I saw they only did colored plastic
aren't there more people who like black/white with stickers anyways?
the whole colored plastic is completely lost on me

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:51 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
... I never got the Crazy Plus Megaminxs because I'm holding out for a kit so I was glad to see this finally offered. ....
Hi Carl, why do you talk about a `kit`? You will get 12 "0" faces. If you intend to make any planets you will need some "1" faces too. Or what am I missing?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:52 am 

I think you are misunderstanding some points here :
This puzzle is a mod made with crazy planets megaminx. I don't think this puzzle has been mass-produced. Moreover, this puzzle was in stock for at least 3 or 4 months, so it is not a new puzzle.

It's not going to be produced in black, because the crazy one are not ! But, I have ordered one a few weeks ago and I am going to see if Dye Black + Acetone is able to transform couloured plastic into black plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 am 

Moreover, I agree with Konrad, it will not be possible to make planets with it (no "1" face)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:02 am 

mitchblahman wrote:
I was extremely excited when I saw normal circle megaminx but immediately lost any want to buy when I saw they only did colored plastic
aren't there more people who like black/white with stickers anyways?
the whole colored plastic is completely lost on me
I think we all know there are some of us who prefer black stickered puzzles (I am one).

But it seems every new thread about a colored plastic puzzle involves a bunch of people complaining about it. Expressing one's opinion is of course fine, but it does get a bit repetitive.

I think the reason for this manufacturing choice is very likely strictly business: Of course they will be able to sell black versions with stickers, but from the perspective of cost to assemble and durability tiny stickers on tiny puzzle pieces aren't great. So if their business is the mass market (i.e. more than us) stickers on many styles of puzzles are probably just not a great choice compared to on stickers (i.e. colored plastic). It's cheaper for them and will result in fewer complaints from customers (other than those few of us).

It would be wonderful if the (relatively) tiny number of us would justify another run of all black, but it won't. The aren't being mean or evil about it, that's just dollars and cents (or Yuan, for that matter).

Dave :) ( :( )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 am 

It is more expensive because they have to harvest the center parts from donor crazy minxes. I tried to order the orange standard crazy 3x3x3 from Jades Club a while ago, but it was Out of Stock and they refunded my Paypal for that item amount.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 am 

I share Dave's opinion completely!
We even have this special thread http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/view ... 1&t=21990&
shzl wrote:
...Please discuss any colored plastic Vs Black/white plastic issues HERE, instead of on the various new puzzle threads....

Unfortunately, all of this will not help :wink: as everybody is convinced he/she is the one with the good taste and all with a different taste are wrong :lol:
BTW, personally I like black puzzles best, but I see good arguments for coloured plastic in many cases.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:51 am 

Hi, I sell MF8 in Australia/NZ via Smarter Puzzles and commissioned some standard versions:
Crazy Megaminx standard (colored plastic)
Crazy 3x3 standard (black, unstickered)

I also got in some standard Crazy Tetrahedra but I'm having some teething problems with them, so I want to play with them a little more to convince myself they're OK.

If anyone is interested in these or anything else on our site, feel free to PM me, or place an order once we've implemented international shipping on our site. Please note prices are in AUD.

Cheers

Warwick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 am 

Very nice! As Brandon have developed a dyeing technique I have stopped complaining about the colored plastic.
As I dont have a problem dyeing WSF puzzles, this wont be a problem either. I just hope Olivér will create a custom sticker set soon :)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 am 

Konrad wrote:
Hi Carl, why do you talk about a `kit`? You will get 12 "0" faces. If you intend to make any planets you will need some "1" faces too. Or what am I missing?
I was talking about a 'kit' as that is the reason why I've not purchased any of the Crazy/Planet/Plus Megaminx. If I were to purchase one I'd like it to be a kit that allowed me to make all 82 that are possible. I however actually like the Circle Megaminx all on its own too so I don't mind purchasing this one by itself. I'm still holding out hope for a 'kit' for the others.
alacoume wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding some points here :
This puzzle is a mod made with crazy planets megaminx. I don't think this puzzle has been mass-produced.
Who is doing the moding? The puzzles producer? It is the same price as the other Crazy Megaminxs so if someone is buying multiple Crazy Megaminxs to produce one normal Circle Megaminx they are losing money. My guess is the some people getting the parts and that are assembling the Crazy Megaminxs are assembling this puzzle too. I'd consider that mass-production. Or are you saying there are hand altered parts inside this puzzle and it was at one point in time one of the planets and someone did some gluing and or sanding to make the parts now work in this way?
alacoume wrote:
Moreover, this puzzle was in stock for at least 3 or 4 months, so it is not a new puzzle.
It's new to Twisty Puzzles. I've seen no post about it here before. I just became aware of it within the last week. As I doubt I'm the only one that wasn't aware this was out there I believe this thread has value in the new puzzle section.
alacoume wrote:
Moreover, I agree with Konrad, it will not be possible to make planets with it (no "1" face)
Agreed. That wasn't why I mentioned the 'kit' idea.

Last edited by wwwmwww on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:19 am 

DLitwin wrote:
I think we all know there are some of us who prefer black stickered puzzles (I am one).
Me too. I even think there is a nice way to get the stickered look with the colored plastic. I've got one of the Gan's Cubes as I thought that was a great idea. However to me as a puzzle fan I'm simply happy to see a nice puzzle mass produced and available to the public. Arguing about stickers or colored plastic to me seems silly and I hate it when threads seems to get pulled into this topic over and over again. Stickers look nicer but they wear and someone has to put the stickers on by hand in most cases and that's expensive labor for a puzzle producer. If they want to avoid that cost and it allowes them to produce more puzzle I say more power to them. If you want black bad enough I say dye it and buy some custom stickers. Problem solved... just stop having the same argument over and over again.
stardust4ever wrote:
It is more expensive because they have to harvest the center parts from donor crazy minxes.
What is more expensive? It is listed at the same price as the other Crazy Megaminxs.
stardust4ever wrote:
I tried to order the orange standard crazy 3x3x3 from Jades Club a while ago, but it was Out of Stock and they refunded my Paypal for that item amount.
Yes, I saw that one too. But as I now have these two I was hoping for a 6 color version just so they all had the same look.
wozzarelli wrote:
Hi, I sell MF8 in Australia/NZ via Smarter Puzzles and commissioned some standard versions:
NICE!!!! Now I'm torn. I really really like the black one but it won't match my other "circle" puzzles. Any chance you could get the Standard Circle 3x3x3 in 6 colored plastic?
wozzarelli wrote:
If anyone is interested in these or anything else on our site, feel free to PM me, or place an order once we've implemented international shipping on our site. Please note prices are in AUD.
PLEASE PLEASE post in this thread (if you remember) when you offer international shipping.

Thanks,
Carl

P.S. I must confess I really don't like the name "Crazy 3x3 standard". First shorting 3x3x3 to 3x3 seems to imply a 2D puzzle to me. But that aside, as everone seems to do that, Crazy is used to mean "non-standard circle". So this name to me hits me the same as the name "Non-Standard 3x3x3 Standard" would. First came the "Circle" puzzles. Then came the Crazy, Circle Plus, or as they are something called Planet puzzles which to me are just all ways of saying this isn't your "standard" circle puzzle. If you are going to offer a standard Circle puzzle you really should drop the word Crazy from the name. Not picking on wozzarelli as so many others seem to be doing it. Note hknowstore did the same thing with "Full Function Crazy Megaminx Plus in 12-Solid-Color (Mod)" just using the term "Full Function" to mean standard or not crazy. But maybe if I point this out and get a few places to correct their naming this won't stick as the accepted name. Then again I'm probably already too late.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:54 pm 

EMarx wrote:
Great news!

Nobody won't buy a puzzle because it comes in traditional black/stickers, but alot of people won't buy the solid color version. MF8 is segmenting an already small market, and I think that's a pretty poor business plan.

But what do I know. :D

I think this matches with the V-Cubes' production tactic. Many people that go to store like the pillowed version, they like the solid color versions because there is no sticker. MF8 is producing to the big market, not only to the people in the TP forum who love black plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:16 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
wozzarelli wrote:
NICE!!!! Now I'm torn. I really really like the black one but it won't match my other "circle" puzzles. Any chance you could get the Standard Circle 3x3x3 in 6 colored plastic?

Sure, I'll see if I can get them in next shipment. As I'm trying to sell on to shops, I need versions that the customer won't need to sticker themselves.

wwwmwww wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE post in this thread (if you remember) when you offer international shipping.

Will do.

wwwmwww wrote:
P.S. I must confess I really don't like the name "Crazy 3x3 standard". First shorting 3x3x3 to 3x3 seems to imply a 2D puzzle to me. But that aside, as everone seems to do that, Crazy is used to mean "non-standard circle". So this name to me hits me the same as the name "Non-Standard 3x3x3 Standard" would. First came the "Circle" puzzles. Then came the Crazy, Circle Plus, or as they are something called Planet puzzles which to me are just all ways of saying this isn't your "standard" circle puzzle. If you are going to offer a standard Circle puzzle you really should drop the word Crazy from the name. Not picking on wozzarelli as so many others seem to be doing it. Note hknowstore did the same thing with "Full Function Crazy Megaminx Plus in 12-Solid-Color (Mod)" just using the term "Full Function" to mean standard or not crazy. But maybe if I point this out and get a few places to correct their naming this won't stick as the accepted name. Then again I'm probably already too late.

Whoops- I actually agree with your "3x3' comment- I should fix it. Did we pick up the term "Crazy" from the Crazy 4x4x4? I wasn't sure what the "Plus" meant, but assumed it meant that it was a "planet" version where some faces rotate and some don't, so I dropped it for the fully functional version.

Warwick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:02 pm 

Crazy Cubes are the planet ones that were mass produced. They have fixed circles and rotating circles. But the Circle Cube is where the circles are all fixed. See Aleh's 3x3x3 Circle Cube thread. The inventor and the the original name.

The Crazy 4x4x4 series is also named inconsistently with the difference between crazy and circle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:56 pm 

Hello,

Here is my colour mod of the full circle crazy megaminx (see pictures below - the last one is not very good (sorry)).
I was surprised to see how fast and how easy it was to dye the puzzle in black (far easier than yellow milk prototype plastic or white Shapeways plastic).
Disasembling and reasembling were also easier than expected. Results are very good.
I was also surprised to see that I have lost a bit in turning during dying, but after lubrification and solve, I think it would be recover.

Attachments:
CIMG6003.jpg
CIMG6003.jpg [ 276.96 KiB | Viewed 3758 times ]
CIMG5999.jpg
CIMG5999.jpg [ 427.05 KiB | Viewed 3758 times ]
CIMG6000.jpg
CIMG6000.jpg [ 315.51 KiB | Viewed 3758 times ]
CIMG5997.jpg
CIMG5997.jpg [ 198.54 KiB | Viewed 3758 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:05 pm 

That looks great. There is some mottling on the surface it seems. Perhaps your solvent concentration was a bit high? I'd do this to mine too if stickers were available. How do you plan on stickering it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:19 pm 

Yep, you are right, concentration was a bit high, but not so much.
Mottling on the surface is due to lubrification I have done just before the picture and because of the light which was low when I took the picture.
Actually, puzzle looks better than in the picture !

Stickers are not a problem : I will ask Oliver Nagy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 pm 

Nice to see this done! It looks great!
I can't wait to see it stickered!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48 am 

Hello,

Here are some pictures of the puzzles with his stickers. They come from Oliver Nagy.
Hope you enjoy !

Attachments:
CIMG6070.JPG
CIMG6070.JPG [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 3324 times ]
CIMG6069.JPG
CIMG6069.JPG [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 3324 times ]
CIMG6060.JPG
CIMG6060.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 3324 times ]
CIMG6066.JPG
CIMG6066.JPG [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 3324 times ]
CIMG6062.JPG
CIMG6062.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 3324 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:20 pm 

And I made this image for Andreas ;)
Attachment:
CMegaminx.jpg
CMegaminx.jpg [ 37.25 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 pm 

Olivér Nagy wrote:
And I made this image for Andreas ;)

:oops:
Thank you for your work.
To be honest: I am not going to create a new entry. There is already this one:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=1920
But I will add the image anyway.

Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:02 pm 

That looks really good! I cant wait to be doing this myself.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel