Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gear pyraminx on mefferts!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:52 am 

http://www.mefferts.com/products/detail ... =13&id=590

Awesome! and only 20 USD

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

Post subject: Re: gear pyraminx on mefferts!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 am 

Awesome! I remember seeing Timur's original version! :mrgreen:

Quote:
May the dolphins spread the word to the rest of Gaia

Pyraminx PB: 9.42 secs
3x3 PB: 34.77 secs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 pm 

It looks amazing! I will buy one for sure. It's getting tough(and expensive) keeping up with all of the new puzzles that have been mass produced recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:31 pm 

They're quick! Just 3 months have passed since the original version had been created :D

Those who might want to get a signed version from me, do not hurry to order from Meffert's.
I'm going to get my limited bunch of them soon and be selling them out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:06 pm 

hohohahah! simply awesome! I <3 Meffert's

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:10 pm 

Timur wrote:
They're quick! Just 3 months have passed since the original version had been created :D

Those who might want to get a signed version from me, do not hurry to order from Meffert's.
I'm going to get my limited bunch of them soon and be selling them out.

Do you know what you'll be charging for them? If it's close to Meffert's, I'll wait, otherwise I'll be cheap and impatient. :)

-d

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 pm 

Dammit, I've just reinsured my car, paid for my holiday in Ireland, I can't afford any more expense like this... bought. :oops:

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 pm 

They are on the Jade Club site too, with the usual discount. I just ordered a black one :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm 

yay!! just ordered 1 ..

i have the original as well so i might be able to do a comparison later :D

by the way .. did any1 else notice ?.. it has less stickers than timurs original design.. i wonder why.. >__>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:26 pm 

I just ordered a black one, though I may cut my own stickers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 pm 

EMPEROR_COW wrote:
by the way .. did any1 else notice ?.. it has less stickers than timurs original design.. i wonder why.. >__>
Interesting observation...

Two questions:

(1) Is it possible to solve the stickered surfaces on Meffert's version without the unstickered surfaces also being in the solved position (if they were stickered)? If not then I think you can consider the extra stickers on Timur's original redundant. I honestly don't know the answer to that question...

(2) On the Jadecube site the black one is listed as US20 - 10%. The white one is listed as US16 - 10%. I believe the white one's listing is in error. Can someone verify?

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
EMPEROR_COW wrote:

Two questions:

(1) Is it possible to solve the stickered surfaces on Meffert's version without the unstickered surfaces also being in the solved position (if they were stickered)? If not then I think you can consider the extra stickers on Timur's original redundant. I honestly don't know the answer to that question...

(2) On the Jadecube site the black one is listed as US20 - 10%. The white one is listed as US16 - 10%. I believe the white one's listing is in error. Can someone verify?

Carl

Huh, you're right. It's almost certainly a listing error.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:06 pm 

It says $16 but it goes through PayPal at $18 :(

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:24 pm 

Awesome, it's only been 4 days since the new years and we already have this and the 3x4x5! :P and like 50$ out of my wallet xD.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:24 pm 

Awesome! And I'm surprised by how cheap they are! Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait until I get mine, but boy am I excited about it! :D

wwwmwww wrote:
Is it possible to solve the stickered surfaces on Meffert's version without the unstickered surfaces also being in the solved position (if they were stickered)? If not then I think you can consider the extra stickers on Timur's original redundant. I honestly don't know the answer to that question...

I believe that they are not redundant. The center stickers of the puzzle represent the normal Pyraminx. When you do three turns, the edges rotate three out of six teeth, making the three edges flipped 180 degrees, and the corner piece is rotated one third. If you repeat that, then all the edges will be solved, but the corner piece will be rotated two thirds (or one third the opposite direction). This will leave everything on the puzzle (including the non-geared part of the corner piece) solved, except the geared part of the corner piece. Therefore, having the non-geared part of the corner piece stickered presents the true orientation of that corner piece.

It is a little like how if you sticker the non-geared parts of the edges of a Gear Cube you suddenly see that they need orientation too.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 pm 

Ordered a Geared Pyraminx and a Gear Shift through Jade Club. :mrgreen: Although it is hard to imagine he can sell these at $18-20 price point and not be at a loss... :cry:

I always try to order two puzzles at a time when I can to save him dough on shipping...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 pm 

Another puzzle that i need/want, but that i don't have the money :twisted: . Unfair lol :roll: .

EDIT: Can somme one explain why the [Censored. Please be nice!] one is 16$ on the jadeclub (+10% off) :? , and that the black is 20$.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 pm 

Drake wrote:
Another puzzle that i need/want, but that i don't have the money :twisted: . Unfair lol :roll: .

EDIT: Can somme one explain why the [Censored. Please be nice!] one is 16$ on the jadeclub (+10% off) :? , and that the black is 20$.

It's just a listing error, they both will be $18 when you get to paypal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
EMPEROR_COW wrote:

Two questions:

Carl

As I mentioned before I have the shapeways model.

The unstickered C shaped parts are essentially attatched to the pointy gear corners just like the little triangles are attatched to the edge gears.

If im not mistaken, having those stickers might acctually make the puzzle slightly more challenging.

Because it adds an extra element of having to orient the centers before the gear adjusting rotations, once you have the corners and edges oriented in place by the center sticker guides, its just a matter of turning the corners around themselves ( 8, 16, 24 times) to get the gears in the right orientation.

Without them, the rotations would still work as every corner goes through all of its orientations it seems. Every corner can be rotated so that if you are facing say the "red" side, you can make the "red,yellow,green" corner rotate so you have any of the colors facing that side, and in any orientation of the edge gears (flipped or unflipped). making it slightly easier .. (I think )

Last edited by EMPEROR_COW on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:02 pm 

I wish they would have listed it as a pre-order right away instead of waiting until after a bunch of us ordered them :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 pm 

So does anyone know if this is the last of the 3D Gear Cube massproducts, outlined and with a questionmark on the poster in the background here: http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21875 ?

I mean it's a cube in that poster. Obviously though putting a tetrahedron in there would have given away to much. Also the gear cube and gear shift are Oscars designs, this one isn't.
I am still so badly hoping for bram's cube to be made as last gear puzzle. Despite the fact that no gears show outside.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 pm 

That is great news!

Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:
So does anyone know if this is the last of the 3D Gear Cube massproducts, outlined and with a questionmark on the poster in the background here: http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/view ... 15&t=21875 ?
Certainly not, because this poster was available 2 months before the first Gear Pyraminx was made.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:40 pm 

The preorder for this puzzle just got added to the HKnowstore, incase anyone was wondering :D.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:09 pm 

Mefferts has just send out notice that this will be available in 2 flavors:
DYI stickers vs stickered without the center parts stickered.
My question is:

for those of us who have already preordered, which version will we get?
or how do we specify our preferance?

thanks

-Delbert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:22 pm 

delbert wrote:
Mefferts has just send out notice that this will be available in 2 flavors:
DYI stickers vs stickered without the center parts stickered.
My question is:

for those of us who have already preordered, which version will we get?
or how do we specify our preferance?

thanks

-Delbert

Mine arrived a couple days ago without the center parts stickered. I used the contact form on mefferts.com to notify them but have not had a reply other than the newsletter announcing the Gear Pyraminx II. Yours is probably already shipped, and is probably the one without the center stickers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:43 am 

The Cubesmith florescent sticker material (florescent pink, florescent orange, bright orange, florescent yellow, florescent green, and bright blue) match the 6 available colors of florescent vinyl stickers that Meffert provides.

More info--->
viewtopic.php?p=252331#p252331

The Cubesmith material is not textured, but if you have some scraps in the afformentioned colors, you can just cut a tiny little piece out to add to the puzzle. I don't think it will look too bad next to the meffert vinyl, which I absolutely love. Why Meffert left off the little bits he did, I have no idea. Maybe they didn't work well with application tape? :scrambled:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:44 am 

So I got my puzzle today ...
I have a few comments:

1) Which you already know, no center stickers. but thats the least of the worries...

2) The puzzle is too tightly screwed in that it does not maintain its pyramidal shape. I thought at first thats not a big deal, but after turning 3 sides I realized that it wouldnt allow any more turns because of the tightness. And the center pieces start to overlap and lock (yes i am turning it correctly)

3) I disassembled it to get a better understanding of why this is happening. I came to the realization that its the springs. This puzzle shouldn't have springs, or if it did they shouldn't be that long as they create alot of tension. This is especially frustrating considering the screwable area on the screw itself is really short allowing very little room for loosening..

4) The problem is if its too loose you start to get gear skips which makes it frustrating to solve (basicly just impractical)

I think they need to reevaluate their screws for this puzzle and probably consider a springless (or shorter less tense ) spring option ...

I have the original shapeways version i got from timur and these issues dont exsist at all ..

I think I might go to a nuts n bolts shack in the area and see if I can find a better alternative n let you guys know ...

Has anyone else faced this?

UPDATE:
Ok even after cutting the springs its a no go ..
The corners need to be stable to prevent overlaps or gear skips, and shape stability. Its the only way...
this puzzle should be springless, Period.
It is unplayable in its mass produced state.
Another solution I thought of is maybe making a core with longer arms (but thats too much of a hastle .. )
I'm going to go buy some washers and see what I can do to get it just right.

Last edited by EMPEROR_COW on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:06 am 

I know many people (including me, someday I'll rant again about quality issues) have had some issues with them over the years but Meffert's is really starting to tick me off in a new way. First the Wellness Ball Cube is promoted as having magnets in the centers. It wasn't until the first batch shipped out and some people started receiving them that it was mentioned that the first shipment wouldn't have them. I don't really care about the magnets but they were in the product description when I ordered it. Then shortly afterwards this Gear Pyraminx is listed on the Jade Club and Meffert's websites for sale, so I ordered it. It wasn't until a day later that it became a pre-sale. Not that big of a deal but when I ordered it I didn't know it was a pre-sale, I expected it to ship right away. And now that they are finally shipping, they have changed the product again with concerns to the stickers.

If these 3 center stickers are too difficult for them to apply, wouldn't it have made more sense to send everyone a puzzle without them applied, but include the stickers so that we can apply them ourselves? Instead of trying to have 2 different products (the stickered one missing the center stickers and the DIY) they could have just shipped the same item to everyone and everyone would be happy.

If I had known when placing my order that the puzzle was really a pre-sale and that after the initial batch shipped they would change the product I would have waited. Same with the Wellness Cube.

In the future I guess I'll just have to wait when ordering any Meffert's puzzles. Lesson learned.

edit: Could someone (who would be better at it then me) come up with a template/guide that we can use for hand cutting our own center stickers? Also, if possible, I would love to attempt to hand cut some stickers for the other 3 center pieces as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:55 am 

Ok so I went to the nuts and bolts store and got me some washers (different sizes ... )

After a bit of trial and error, heres what I got:

You need 4 washers for every corner. They have to go into the inner circle where the screw comes out of.

When you do that you get the ideal piece relation.
however...
The problem now is they are still extremely loose without the springs ...

I put the springs back in and I'm back to where I started...
The edge gears keep skipping teeth and whats worse is that the shape is STILL unstable preventing more than 2 or 3 turns ...

I am not happy with the quality of this puzzle at all and it makes me wonder. Dont they go through quality control checks before releasing an item like this ? Who approves it !?

The shapeways model is 100 times more superior in terms of quality , shape stability , gear stability and its smaller ...

I'm going to give this one more chance by getting rid of the springs and replacing it with some wider diameter washers all along the screw till i get maximum tension without pullout. either that or try and get shorter screws.

This is really irritating ...
Especially with that last email that says the puzzle is cheaper than its acctual cost. I mean, ok if you want to rub it in like that at least make sure your puzzle works !

Not to mention the sticker thing. which is really a minor thing considering the functionality defect. Still really annoying !

Last edited by EMPEROR_COW on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:50 pm 

Ok back from the store again ...

I got rid of the mefferts screws and springs and replaced them with M3 flat heads i had lying around ..

And with playing around with the washers from inside and out, I managed to get the perfect length:

I needed 5 washers from the outside (inside the protruding circle the screw comes out of), instead of the previous 4, and 1 washer inside (before inserting the screw ).

The screw length is 16 mm ( from where the teeth start to the end excluding the head. I dont know if this is the correct way to measure)

I tightened the puzzle from every side to almost maximum tension, Just to keep the shape nice and firmly secure whenever i make a turn.

Now the puzzle is nice and snug and the shape is perfectly maintained with no skipping of the edge gear teeth.

The cost of this modification: about 3-4 GBP. Plus stress .. >__>

I have to note that because the springs are gone. assembling the parts with the washers is quite tricky, especially the last bit.

Now where the hell can i get a new set of stickers? And with bits to go in the centers ? .... >___>

Attachments:
File comment: the order of parts in the corner
IMAG0107.jpg
IMAG0107.jpg [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 7677 times ]
File comment: where the inner washers should go ..
IMAG0106.jpg
IMAG0106.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 7677 times ]

Last edited by EMPEROR_COW on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:37 pm 

The gear pyraminx does not turn good. It turns okay from a solved position but after being scrambled it locks up and skips gears frequently. It really is unplayable. I'll put a video up later, but first I'm going to attempt to make it better.

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 pm 

I have a simple solution to all the people who find Meffert's behavior scandalous:

Don't buy the product immediately. Actually, don't buy it until it's been a couple weeks since they started to arrive. To quote The Doctor: "Do the smart thing, and let somebody else try first."

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Last edited by NType3 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:18 pm 

Benf207 wrote:
It really is unplayable. I'll put a video up later, but first I'm going to attempt to make it better.

Ben

Try my method. The puzzle works perfectly now with the 5 washers from the inside. No skips or anything.

But instead of the outer washer i recommend a srew with a wider diameter head (to work as both and to give u 1 mm more of threading into the core)

I replaced my M3 bolts with some old cube4you screws i had for a 3x3x3 (at least I think it was cube4you) picture below.

This puzzle simply cannot function with springs. They just ruin the puzzle, period. And if anyones getting it they will have to do a workaround that keeps the corners from springing out (i.e. springless and with more shape stability.. either the mod i did or whatever bright idea you come up with :) ) ..

One easier way of applying the last corner with the 5 washers was:
-apply the 3 edge pieces ...
-apply the washers on the core ...
-apply the inner piece which the corner gear turns on (make sure the washers go in nice and snug )
-apply the corner gear
-screw away .. and you're done ...

I would have taken a picture but i already screwed it on .. >___>

Its really upsetting that this puzzle came in this poor quality ...
The core is too short (by 5 washers) and the springs and screws just dont work for this puzzle.
I mean, really all it takes is 2-3 spins on different corners to realize this. Havent they tested it ?!
At all ?!!? I mean its just a simple matter of quality control. This is far worse than the problems the mosaic cube had. At least that one worked !. (despite lack of shape stability.. which was greatly improved with the ball core)

Oh well. After a long day of work and the nightmare of trying to make this a functional puzzle, time to attempt to solve it ...

(I still want new stickers though ... >___> With all the trials and errors the stickers are ruined. plus it would be nice to find ones for the center parts as well)

Attachments:
File comment: M3 vs cube4you screwes
IMAG0108.jpg
IMAG0108.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 7580 times ]

Last edited by EMPEROR_COW on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:38 pm 

Wow. I've just got to say that the only 2 complaints I have with my Mefferts Gear Pyraminx is 1) It didn't come with center stickers as originally advertised, but I figure they will make that right somehow. And 2) it didn't come with a clear definition of what a legal twist is. Unlike most twisty puzzles this one is not totally intuitive.

I see no need to take it apart and modify it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 pm 

robertpauljr wrote:
Wow. I've just got to say that the only 2 complaints I have with my Mefferts Gear Pyraminx is 1) It didn't come with center stickers as originally advertised, but I figure they will make that right somehow. And 2) it didn't come with a clear definition of what a legal twist is. Unlike most twisty puzzles this one is not totally intuitive.

A legal turn in this puzzle only occurs when you have the center forming the triangle again.
The complaints here are all about legal turns.

Try scrambling it and you will see what the issue is ..

The reason why its so bad is that in order for a legal turn to happen the rest of the puzzle has to have shape stability and be firmly intact (meaning the center triangle + the half triangles on each side under the turning corner must not move in order for the gears to turn correctly). With the short core and the springs in place this is virtually impossible. especially as the scramble gets more complex. There are 3 orientations to the corners ( facing you, slightly to the left, and slightly to the right). Its very difficult to maintain the shape if the puzzle doesnt do it by itself as you cant put it on a table top for example ..

Again, as i said before, These issues were not there in the original shapeways model as it was far more structuraly stable.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to get a nut that is equal to the width of 5 washers instead (makes it less likely to loosen up as well). I might order one more and try. I think I've tampered with my current puzzle long enough ..

Its a shame really because it really is a great puzzle ..

Last edited by EMPEROR_COW on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 am 

Another thing I realized is that, without the center stickers, its quite tricky figure out if your edges are flipped or not. I dont think its easier without them. I think it might acctually be harder. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:58 am 

I received mine this morning and am very dissatisfied. The puzzle barely turns, there are no centre stickers as shown in the picture when I ordered (I know this has been discussed but I would have thought that Mefferts could have included a set), it has a 'squishy' feeling that means turns can be made accidentally and it skips gears.

The only good things that I can see about this puzzle is that a gear pyraminx has been made, the use of the skewb style stickers that I love and the new included Mefferts bag.

The puzzles that I have ordered from Mefferts designed by Timur have been really quite bad, my 2 Professor Pyraminx always popped but this is far worse. I know that it is by no means Timurs fault as his shapeways puzzles seem to be very popular but I cannot comprehend why this is so bad.

Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:43 am 

I think this is a lesson to all of us. If you are going to buy a new puzzle from mefferts, wait. I got mine today and completely agree with what's been said so far. Would anyone post a video or tutorial on how to mod it?

Also, what is this about a Gear Pyraminx 2?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:38 pm 

I just got mine and like others it is absolute garbage. if you have not ordered this puzzle yet then don't! I'm drafting up an email to send to Meffert's about it. Has anyone else done the same yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:34 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
I just got mine and like others it is absolute garbage. if you have not ordered this puzzle yet then don't! I'm drafting up an email to send to Meffert's about it. Has anyone else done the same yet?

Already sent mine, thought that I had to. I have noticed that, not just Mefferts but other companies that are bring out these more exotic puzzles aren't doing the necessary quality control checks, the countless horrors of the Starminx 1, the new 3x4x5 and now this and it really bugs me when you receive a sub par puzzle especially from, such a reputable store like Mefferts.

Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:36 pm 

Although I was able to do a limited number (8) of twists without too much difficulty I am reluctant now to play with it at all since I am not into modding or repairing.

Maybe it is time to stop and enjoy the 50 or so puzzles already in my collection and not be adding any more for awhile. Sounds like there are too many issues with too many puzzles right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:51 pm 

Come now, don't be scared!

As I have said before, the trick is simply to wait. Don't impulse buy, and wait a week or two, or three, or however many it takes until reviews come in, to decide whether or not to purchase the puzzle.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:09 pm 

There's no need to rub in the fact that you did not waste your money 2 times. We get it.

Modification wise, I did take out the springs and replace the screws with m3s. It does help a bit. But the puzzle still locks up and sometimes gets itself into unsolvable positions. I tried to sand down the inner corners and it did not help. I'm still working on another fix, I'll post if I figure anything out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:34 am 

Seriously?! Another bad product from Meffert's?

I've learned my lesson after I bought the Mosaic Cube.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:10 am 

Guys, don't sand the corners, it will ruin your puzzle. Mine is pretty much a goner. I'll keep trying some stuff on it though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:33 am 

At first I was dreading receiving my puzzle after reading what's been said about it. But now I can't wait to take it apart and see if I can do anything to make it playable. And that's sort of a puzzle in itself :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:27 am 

Benf207 wrote:
There's no need to rub in the fact that you did not waste your money 2 times. We get it.

Modification wise, I did take out the springs and replace the screws with m3s. It does help a bit. But the puzzle still locks up and sometimes gets itself into unsolvable positions. I tried to sand down the inner corners and it did not help. I'm still working on another fix, I'll post if I figure anything out.

The problem is that the core arms are too short (by 5 washers width)

Did you try adding the washers? Or a nut of equal width into the inner circle of each corner gear base?
If you do that you prevent the dipping of the parts inward, and that in turn prevents the lockups. Plus with the washers in, you get some resistance for the corner gears making the puzzle more firm overall.

But if you decide to go for a nut instead of the 5 washers you can tighten the corner gears better and give the puzzle more shape stability. (I havent done that yet but intend to in the next few days when I have time to go to the store again) .. Its fine right now with the washers in each corner but if I go for the nuts option I'll post some pics for everyone. :)

One more bit of advice I can give is, when making a turn, make sure the center triangle opposite the corner you are turning is correctly aligned. This further prevents lockups if your puzzle is slightly loose. But you still need to compensate for the shortness of the core with whatever way you choose.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:05 am 

EMPEROR_COW wrote:
robertpauljr wrote:

Try scrambling it and you will see what the issue is ..

So I finally experimented with it enough to decide to scramble it and "see what the issue is." During the scramble it started to hang up a little, so I stopped and made sure all the centers were aligned properly before proceeding. Then after a thorough scrambling, I solved the corners. Then I got the edges in their proper locations. The edges are not twisted correctly since I haven't totally figured out how to do that yet, but I've done a lot of scrambling and solving and still see no need to take anything apart and modify anything. But then again, I enjoy the Mosaic Cube, although sometimes I have to stop and align the pieces before proceeding with a scramble or solve. I no longer regret getting the Gear Pyraminx. :D

Edit: OK, after playing with it for several hours I finally mucked it up so badly I was ready to admit it was a total disaster and ask for help! :lol: I have no idea how to get the silly thing apart if it comes to that. At one point I was even wondering if I could get a refund or a store credit! :lol: When I say I mucked it up, I am not talking about scrambling. I am saying I am finally admitting and agreeing that there is a serious problem with the quality of the puzzle.

But I just kept aligning and twisting and going with it and on and on until finally it got into a reasonable alignment and quit sounding and feeling like it was going to break apart. I was able to actually get all the pieces in their correct positions, although half the edges are not lined up correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm 

Did anyone notice the video on this puzzle on the mefferts channel ?
http://youtu.be/pUSK5vj9GpA
He turns the puzzle in the coolest way !!
He does a HALF TURN, then turns the whole base !!
I've had my shapeways model for ages now and i never thought of that. Its so cool ! ..
I guess that adds a new dynamic to this puzzle ! I wonder if it affects the solving .. Hmm
Awesome !