Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kindle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:59 pm 

I just got a Kindle Touch, and I love it! It feels very nice in the hand, and the screen is really easy to read, due to the good contrast.

The only complaint I have so far is that the E-Ink display combined with multitouch makes for a really, really slow interface. Page-turns take up to 2 seconds. But other than that, I'm very happy.

They make it so easy to buy books on the Kindle, that I've decided to impose a rule on myself. No new books until I've either finished the one I'm reading, or given up on it forever. This is to combat my own ADD as well as what I might call "internet-induced ADD" (there are so many things to choose from that you keep switching back and forth, and never get anything done).

I imposed this rule right after I bought both The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) and Cryptonomicon (Neal Stephenson). So much to read! And now I have a new toy on which to read it all! I'm looking forward to working through these over winter break.

Anyone else have a Kindle? Other e-readers?

-Eitan

Post subject: Re: Kindle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm 

I'm more of a TV fan :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:13 pm 

I read a lot of books on my iPad.
Also we got my grandma a kindle fire for christmas so I’ll get to play a bit on that.
I know what you mean about the ADD I got 4 books for my birthday then went out the next day and bought two more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:46 am 

I love my Nook, the normal one, not color. Looks just like a page out of a book, but it is small, lightweight, holds all of my books, easy access to new ones. It even uses the same charger as my phone. Actually I haven't picked it up in about a month. :lol: I have a million books lined up to read, just kind of got put on hold. I need to get back to reading.

Big recommendation to the Ender's Game series, my personal favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:17 am 

You don't have to read on an E-reader; you can also puzzle 8-)

PS When you install Adobe Digital Editions (free) on your PC, tablet, laptop etc. you also have E-reading available.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:52 am 

I prefer the humble paperback. Also, 3-D Printers are not the only advanced printing technology I hope to eventually see in an affordable desktop model.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:34 am 

There is nothing like the feel of a good book in your hand, and the smell of an old one.....Heavenly. But, I do use my iPad to read a lot. Mostly articles for work, but the occasional book when I'm feeling up to a classic, or really want to read one but don't want to carry a heavy tome around. Rather than repost, I'll just copy and paste something I wrote elsewhere.

I use docs to go all the time. I also use iannotate pdf. I love both programs! The latter for reading all those endless articles on, and since I can take it with me I'm in heaven. I highlight to my hearts content with that program, add notes, write all over the documents. The only complaint I have with this one is I can't draw lines from one page to the next. I have to end the drawing tool, scroll the page down and start writing again. But I can live with that until something better comes along. It sure beats carrying around reams of paper like I used to do. The ipad is super lightweight-much more so than my notebook. I don't get shoulder aches from carrying it around.

I use the docs to go for a number of different things. Creating word documents, It has all the basic functions of a typewriter, minus the tab key, but that is a separate button so it's there in a different form. I crate on the go all the time. I have spent what seems like days on end in meetings this past semester and this program has really saved me valuable time. Yes, I had to learn to 'air type', but it hasn't been too difficult a learning curve for me. Although I am slower-about half my normal typing speed. I've used this program to open and read excel files, but haven't created any because I just don't really use excel. I can create Pdfs with it but again, I haven't used that function yet. The powerpoint creator on here is wonderful!

And don't even get me started on the bluetooth hook up to the computer and using my phone as a pointer for the powerpoint slides I keep having to use! I'm slowly becoming an apple girl. Isn't it funny how I learned to do basic programming on an apple 2e and am now going full circle with my choice of equipment. When my netbook dies, or the Uni gives us another computer voucher....I'm going for a macbook air! Bug has a macbook for school and while it takes some getting used to, it's pretty easy to use. I hate to say it, but I'm sold.

I have a glare guard on my iPad, and phone, so I really don't have those issues with reading in the sun. Yes, the film was a bit more expensive than the regular protector but oh so worth it.

For the record, I did buy an attachable bluetooth keyboard, but the weight of it combined with the plug in bit breaking off the first time I charged it and I'm not impressed. Right back to the shop it went. My little toy keeps going for about 10 hours, and I don't know how I managed before without it. Well ok, I used a pen and then typed up all the stuff I now enter into the iPad.

I use these programs in conjunction with dropbox (if you haven't got it and want it, let me know so I can send an invite. I need more space). www.dropbox.com No, I'm not selling, I just love the ability to store and not carry around 50 brainsticks! That is the one downside of the iPad. No USB port.

Honestly, with that glare guard and all the other features and stuff I can do with it...highly recommended!
I can even read this page on there so you know it's good.

I've had a laptop/notebook/netbook since the early 90's. I love the things. And there is no way I would get rid of mine. But, those days when I have to schlep across town and take notes during those insanely long meetings, the iPad wins.
Each has its own merits, and I wouldn't try to get anyone to give up one for the other. I just find for the train rides...its a lot easier to open my iPad than a notebook. When I speak at conferences, I have had major problems with brainstick transfers and cables that don't work. The iPad pretty much hits all the universities I've been in as far as connectivity is concerned (I'm doing a different country each month with this project of mine! ) and I don't need to worry about dead batteries on my clicker anymore because I downloaded an app for my phone iClicker).

The big bust for me is the really bad camera. Not good at all. Lousy photos on it. They are very grainy. Bugs Samsung phone takes better photos than my phone and the iPad combined. But, then there is the ability to run internet off my phone....so a lot of give and take.

Oh, and when we did the family thing to Germany this year, her batteries and mine on the laptop went dead. Since we flew Delta in the cattle car, there was no electrical outlet to be found. But my iPad managed a Duracell bunny stunt. I did my work, played around with some photos, read a few offline pages (another amazing app that I find difficult to live without) and then when all batteries were gone, bug took my toy and played angry birds for the rest of the trip. It lasted from HK to Berlin non stop! Can't go wrong there.