Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help solving puzzle with rings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:25 pm 

Hello - I'm staying with relatives for Thanksgiving and they have several ring type puzzles. I've solved them all except one. I've posted a picture. Everyone says there isn't a solution, but they don't work with puzzles regularly as I do. I believe there is one, but as the days grow long without a solution, I'm beginning to believe them. I've looked everywhere on the Internet and I can't find an image of it. I've solved a similar puzzle but it didn't have the bottom set of rings.

I appreciate the assistance.

Regards,

Digitap

Attachments:
unknown_puzzle.jpg
unknown_puzzle.jpg [ 134.15 KiB | Viewed 1044 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help solving puzzle with rings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:23 pm 

I was looking at this tonight and I actually think there's a piece missing. Perhaps the pieces in the picture don't come apart.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:06 pm 

Yeah, it looks like one of those puzzles where you have to get a chain off it. But there's no chain.

Post subject: Help solving puzzle with rings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:15 am 

After the decision of this puzzle 3 parts should turn out:
The top part, average part with two rings and bottom part with two rings!
The decision should be trivial.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:52 am 

Hello Digitap,
digitap wrote:
I was looking at this tonight and I actually think there's a piece missing. Perhaps the pieces in the picture don't come apart.
You are right, the pieces in your picture do not come apart.

The puzzle is called "Dirty Dog", it is part of the Tavern Puzzle Collection of Tucker-Jones House, Inc., also available from other companies (with thin metal wire).

Here's one video demonstrating how to solve the thin wire version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxrvlXtJto (link fixed, sorry for the previous error)

Here's the solution instructions from the company: http://www.tavernpuzzle.com/solutions/dirtydog.htm

I hope you will find the missing piece...

Skarabajo.

Attachments:
File comment: Dirty Dog from the Tavern Puzzle Collection of Tucker-Jones House, Inc.
dirty_dog_tavern_puzzle.jpg
dirty_dog_tavern_puzzle.jpg [ 11.51 KiB | Viewed 975 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:53 pm 

Thanks Skarabajo! I can now sleep at night. Thanks for the links. I'll probably get this to add to my personal collection. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:28 am 

Hi Friends,

Today I got out a few ring / chain puzzles I received last Christmas. Some of the non twisty posts recently inspired me to get them out. I have solved them pretty quickly, which amazes me because last Christmas I toiled with them for hours getting nowhere (my puzzle perception has improved I think). At least I think I have solved the ring puzzle. It reminded me of the puzzle in this thread ^^ (and I need to ask also): is the central ring not removable? If it's removable then this puzzle is harder than I think, but I think it's there to block the path of the removable ring a bit.

Also, because I don't remember their starting positions I am a little unsure of what they ought to look like solved (all of them). I can guess pretty well, I'd just like to know for sure, exactly, especially for the ring one, the others are more obvious.

And how hard are they? because these are the first puzzles of this type I've ever solved.. but after the recent discussions and posts I have a few Hanayamas coming :) . I must say, I am warming to those cast assembly puzzles, some of them are beautiful!

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
ring puzzles.jpg
ring puzzles.jpg [ 221.46 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)