Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My mazes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 pm 

Didn't realise there was a non-twisty puzzle forum here or I'd have shared these earlier. For the past year or so at work I've been drawing mazes to help relieve the stress/boredom/both. I reckon I've got... not bad at it. Here's my output so far- http://nebagram.deviantart.com/gallery/29837969

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:17 pm 

Why is the UK coloured in red ink? Shouldn't *all* of Europe be in red now? And maybe it would be better to *start* in the UK and try to escape to the moon, rather than the other way round. :lol:

PS. To draw 79 of those things you really must have been very bored at work!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:45 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Why is the UK coloured in red ink? Shouldn't *all* of Europe be in red now? And maybe it would be better to *start* in the UK and try to escape to the moon, rather than the other way round. :lol:

PS. To draw 79 of those things you really must have been very bored at work!

They do represent a whole year's worth of output and I can do an entire one in under 2 hours so it's not that bad. Close, mind you.

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:15 am 

I really like them. Do you make a new one every week? I thought I read that.
Good work!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:12 pm 

eye2eye wrote:
I really like them. Do you make a new one every week? I thought I read that.
Good work!

Thanks :) It's typically one or two per week, depending on how productive (or rather, unproductive) I'm feeling. Multiples of ten take a little longer as I like to do something a little special with them.

...And what I've got lined up for #100 is going to take the better part of two months to complete.

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 pm 

Hi,

I'm new here and it's nice to see someone that shares the interest in designing maze-puzzles. I like your maze designs for maze 50, 69 and 81. Those are the (more) difficult ones to create by hand and digitally.

Have you ever offered mazes to colleagues or friends to solve them, or does the size scare them a little?

I prefer to keep my mazes more compact; I've recently transferred some old hand-sketched ones to digital version (with Microsoft Visio Pro), created some new ones (using more copy&paste with slight alterations; that's the nice aspect from PC-design) and here's part of the result: http://mazes.zymichost.com/index.htm

Yes, I also try to commercialize them somewhat (as pushed by my wife who really likes to see them; not to solve them...... :roll: ).

Hope you continu designing mazes; keep me updated.

- Splinter

PS I also have a maze 'overview directory' (of course not covering the whole internet) in Dutch at: doolhoven.startpagina.nl (listing actual mazes, puzzle mazes, maze games, maze books)

Last edited by Splinter on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm 

Splinter wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here and it's nice to see someone that shares the interest in designing maze-puzzles. I like your maze designs for maze 50, 69 and 81. Those are the (more) difficult ones to create by hand and digitally.

Have you ever offered mazes to colleagues or friends to solve them, or does the size scare them a little?

I prefer to keep my mazes more compact; I've recently transferred some old hand-sketched ones to digital version (with Microsoft Visio Pro), created some new ones (using more copy&paste with slight alterations; that's the nice aspect from PC-design) and here's part of the result: http://mazes.zymichost.com/index.htm

Yes, I also try to commercialize them somewhat (as pushed by my wife who really likes to see them; not to solve them...... :roll: ).

Hope you continu designing mazes; keep me updated.

- Splinter

PS I also have a maze 'overview directory' (of course not covering the whole internet) in Dutch at: doolhoven.startpagina.nl (listing actual mazes, puzzle mazes, maze games, maze books)

Hi

Thanks for taking an interest in my mazes! I have shown them to friends and colleagues before- I also design more coventional puzzles such as crosswords and wordsearches, and slipped one of the mazes (#17) in there. Alas, it didn't go down terribly well, but I didn't let that put me off. Most people though do tend to run a mile when they see how complex some of them are!

Funny though that you should mention you keep your mazes more compact... I draw all of my mazes on A5-sized paper. #100- which I started ages ago, am still working on, and is woefully behind schedule- is being done on a flipchart.

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:06 pm 

I noticed your first 11 mazes have an unused corner in them. Is this so you could staple them together or something?

Just curious... These look like ALOT of work to me,
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:54 am 

I took the liberty to list your site at doolhoven.startpagina.nl (link 'hand sketched mazes (difficult)).

Had to put 'difficult' to it, while I think mostly the page is visited by or for kids.
Which can have much fun of course with mazes, but not only them (!).

Wow, a flipchart maze. That'll take time... (if you draw the wall distances at approx. 0.5 cm).

I did not recognize you used A5-format. For my hand-drawn mazes I used A4 squared paper (sometimes filling the A4 paper fully).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:35 pm 

The first 11 mazes have the cut-out corner as they were done on office stationery, which basically consists of recycled paper with hole punched in one corner and bound together by a cotton tassel. Later on, I just removed the tassel without cutting the corner away, which is why some mazes have holes in teh bottom-left corner. This is also why the image quality is really poor earlier on (maze 13 in particular is shockingly bad) but increases dramatically around the 40 mark.

...And wall separation in these mazes usually runs to a lot less than 5mm. Somewhere between 2 and 3mm is the standard, sometimes I'll go as low as 1mm.

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 pm 

Nebagram wrote:
The first 11 mazes have the cut-out corner as they were done on office stationery, which basically consists of recycled paper with hole punched in one corner and bound together by a cotton tassel. Later on, I just removed the tassel without cutting the corner away, which is why some mazes have holes in teh bottom-left corner. This is also why the image quality is really poor earlier on (maze 13 in particular is shockingly bad) but increases dramatically around the 40 mark.

...And wall separation in these mazes usually runs to a lot less than 5mm. Somewhere between 2 and 3mm is the standard, sometimes I'll go as low as 1mm.

You need a steady hand then (and a good sharp pencil)....
I used to have a ruler or protactor to draw mazes before using software.
Practically the same scaled size of maze then when I draw at 0.5 cm on A4 and you at 0.25 on A5 :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 pm 

http://nebagram.deviantart.com/art/Maze ... -278697745

This is a lot harder than I first thought.

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 am 

Keep up!

Will you be able to scan your finished work for your website, or do you plan to make a photo of it and publish this in large format?

(PS Somewhere on the internet (maybe Amazon) I found a published maze of -I think- 6 meters long. But it had larger paths. I don't know whether there's a world record for large mazes. Maybe for actual ones (the ones you can walk through yourself))

.....will maze 100 take you 100 days.... let's start the countdown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 pm 

I'll be photographing it and sending it off to an industrial scanning organisation I found on the internet (the kind who usually scan architectural plans). It'll cost me about £5 but I'm lazy enough to pay the cost. :)

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 am 

#100 is completed and will start to be uploaded starting tonight. In addition to the gargantuan main maze, there are 15 sub-mazes attached to it (7 A5 sized and 8 A6 sized) that will go up first.

To put the size of the main maze in perspective, the scanned JPEG I downloaded was 28MB in size and had dimensions of roughly 19 000 x 13 000. It took photoshop on my PC- a dual core with 6GB of memory- over a minute to save it into its final form. Whilst editing it- and having firefox as my only other open window- my PC was eating over 80% of available memory, which is by miles the highest I've ever seen it go.

I might consider activating prints on deviantart just this one time. :)

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:45 am 

~~ CONGRATULATIONS ~~

Maze 100 finished far within a 100 days! :-)

Looking forward to see it. Maybe an idea to make a challenge here for it, e.g. quickest solver and/or shortest route/best solving strategy?