Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: My mazes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
Didn't realise there was a non-twisty puzzle forum here or I'd have shared these earlier. For the past year or so at work I've been drawing mazes to help relieve the stress/boredom/both. I reckon I've got... not bad at it. Here's my output so far- http://nebagram.deviantart.com/gallery/29837969

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Why is the UK coloured in red ink? Shouldn't *all* of Europe be in red now? And maybe it would be better to *start* in the UK and try to escape to the moon, rather than the other way round. :lol:

PS. To draw 79 of those things you really must have been very bored at work!

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
KelvinS wrote:
Why is the UK coloured in red ink? Shouldn't *all* of Europe be in red now? And maybe it would be better to *start* in the UK and try to escape to the moon, rather than the other way round. :lol:

PS. To draw 79 of those things you really must have been very bored at work!


They do represent a whole year's worth of output and I can do an entire one in under 2 hours so it's not that bad. Close, mind you.

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Littleton CO
I really like them. Do you make a new one every week? I thought I read that.
Good work!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
eye2eye wrote:
I really like them. Do you make a new one every week? I thought I read that.
Good work!


Thanks :) It's typically one or two per week, depending on how productive (or rather, unproductive) I'm feeling. Multiples of ten take a little longer as I like to do something a little special with them.

...And what I've got lined up for #100 is going to take the better part of two months to complete.

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Hi,

I'm new here and it's nice to see someone that shares the interest in designing maze-puzzles. I like your maze designs for maze 50, 69 and 81. Those are the (more) difficult ones to create by hand and digitally.

Have you ever offered mazes to colleagues or friends to solve them, or does the size scare them a little?


I prefer to keep my mazes more compact; I've recently transferred some old hand-sketched ones to digital version (with Microsoft Visio Pro), created some new ones (using more copy&paste with slight alterations; that's the nice aspect from PC-design) and here's part of the result: http://mazes.zymichost.com/index.htm

Yes, I also try to commercialize them somewhat (as pushed by my wife who really likes to see them; not to solve them...... :roll: ).


Hope you continu designing mazes; keep me updated.

- Splinter

PS I also have a maze 'overview directory' (of course not covering the whole internet) in Dutch at: doolhoven.startpagina.nl (listing actual mazes, puzzle mazes, maze games, maze books)


Last edited by Splinter on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
Splinter wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here and it's nice to see someone that shares the interest in designing maze-puzzles. I like your maze designs for maze 50, 69 and 81. Those are the (more) difficult ones to create by hand and digitally.

Have you ever offered mazes to colleagues or friends to solve them, or does the size scare them a little?


I prefer to keep my mazes more compact; I've recently transferred some old hand-sketched ones to digital version (with Microsoft Visio Pro), created some new ones (using more copy&paste with slight alterations; that's the nice aspect from PC-design) and here's part of the result: http://mazes.zymichost.com/index.htm

Yes, I also try to commercialize them somewhat (as pushed by my wife who really likes to see them; not to solve them...... :roll: ).


Hope you continu designing mazes; keep me updated.

- Splinter

PS I also have a maze 'overview directory' (of course not covering the whole internet) in Dutch at: doolhoven.startpagina.nl (listing actual mazes, puzzle mazes, maze games, maze books)


Hi

Thanks for taking an interest in my mazes! I have shown them to friends and colleagues before- I also design more coventional puzzles such as crosswords and wordsearches, and slipped one of the mazes (#17) in there. Alas, it didn't go down terribly well, but I didn't let that put me off. Most people though do tend to run a mile when they see how complex some of them are!

Funny though that you should mention you keep your mazes more compact... I draw all of my mazes on A5-sized paper. #100- which I started ages ago, am still working on, and is woefully behind schedule- is being done on a flipchart.

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
I noticed your first 11 mazes have an unused corner in them. Is this so you could staple them together or something?

Just curious... These look like ALOT of work to me,
Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
I took the liberty to list your site at doolhoven.startpagina.nl (link 'hand sketched mazes (difficult)).

Had to put 'difficult' to it, while I think mostly the page is visited by or for kids.
Which can have much fun of course with mazes, but not only them (!).

Wow, a flipchart maze. That'll take time... (if you draw the wall distances at approx. 0.5 cm).

I did not recognize you used A5-format. For my hand-drawn mazes I used A4 squared paper (sometimes filling the A4 paper fully).

_________________
Maybe I'm amazed... Mfave's puzzle shop | Burgh Lock trick-lock, Splinter's amazing Shapeways shop, my E-book, maze overview page (Dutch)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
The first 11 mazes have the cut-out corner as they were done on office stationery, which basically consists of recycled paper with hole punched in one corner and bound together by a cotton tassel. Later on, I just removed the tassel without cutting the corner away, which is why some mazes have holes in teh bottom-left corner. This is also why the image quality is really poor earlier on (maze 13 in particular is shockingly bad) but increases dramatically around the 40 mark.

...And wall separation in these mazes usually runs to a lot less than 5mm. Somewhere between 2 and 3mm is the standard, sometimes I'll go as low as 1mm.

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Nebagram wrote:
The first 11 mazes have the cut-out corner as they were done on office stationery, which basically consists of recycled paper with hole punched in one corner and bound together by a cotton tassel. Later on, I just removed the tassel without cutting the corner away, which is why some mazes have holes in teh bottom-left corner. This is also why the image quality is really poor earlier on (maze 13 in particular is shockingly bad) but increases dramatically around the 40 mark.

...And wall separation in these mazes usually runs to a lot less than 5mm. Somewhere between 2 and 3mm is the standard, sometimes I'll go as low as 1mm.


You need a steady hand then (and a good sharp pencil)....
I used to have a ruler or protactor to draw mazes before using software.
Practically the same scaled size of maze then when I draw at 0.5 cm on A4 and you at 0.25 on A5 :D

_________________
Maybe I'm amazed... Mfave's puzzle shop | Burgh Lock trick-lock, Splinter's amazing Shapeways shop, my E-book, maze overview page (Dutch)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
http://nebagram.deviantart.com/art/Maze ... -278697745

This is a lot harder than I first thought.

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Keep up!

Will you be able to scan your finished work for your website, or do you plan to make a photo of it and publish this in large format?

(PS Somewhere on the internet (maybe Amazon) I found a published maze of -I think- 6 meters long. But it had larger paths. I don't know whether there's a world record for large mazes. Maybe for actual ones (the ones you can walk through yourself))

.....will maze 100 take you 100 days.... let's start the countdown

_________________
Maybe I'm amazed... Mfave's puzzle shop | Burgh Lock trick-lock, Splinter's amazing Shapeways shop, my E-book, maze overview page (Dutch)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
I'll be photographing it and sending it off to an industrial scanning organisation I found on the internet (the kind who usually scan architectural plans). It'll cost me about £5 but I'm lazy enough to pay the cost. :)

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:46 pm
#100 is completed and will start to be uploaded starting tonight. In addition to the gargantuan main maze, there are 15 sub-mazes attached to it (7 A5 sized and 8 A6 sized) that will go up first.

To put the size of the main maze in perspective, the scanned JPEG I downloaded was 28MB in size and had dimensions of roughly 19 000 x 13 000. It took photoshop on my PC- a dual core with 6GB of memory- over a minute to save it into its final form. Whilst editing it- and having firefox as my only other open window- my PC was eating over 80% of available memory, which is by miles the highest I've ever seen it go.

I might consider activating prints on deviantart just this one time. :)

_________________
best single solves-
2x2x2- 7.14
3x3x3- 31.92
4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My mazes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
~~ CONGRATULATIONS ~~

Maze 100 finished far within a 100 days! :-)

Looking forward to see it. Maybe an idea to make a challenge here for it, e.g. quickest solver and/or shortest route/best solving strategy?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group