Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Circle Puzzle Simulator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:14 pm 

The discussion on deeper-than-deep-cut 2d puzzles here has inspired me to finally draw up a set of pieces that can be laser cut by Ponoko. To tide me over until they get here, which will probably be a few weeks, I've started writing a circle puzzle simulator. At this point it is very rough, and only simulates the deeper-cut version of the Rashkey that I've been calling the Masterkey (does anyone know if this puzzle has ever been done before, or if that name has been used for another puzzle?) in a 2 color Sun-Moon style.

Image Image

Using Jaap's notation, the controls are A=>L, S=>L', K=>R, L=>R', space resets the puzzle and enter scrambles it.

As I thought, the large squares and small wide triangular pieces behave exactly like the square and triangular pieces in a Rashkey. The long narrow triangles behave similarly to the small triangles, moving through a 7-cycle involving the top 3 of each circle and central 4 of the other during the LR'L'R sequence. I have not yet solved it, and the simulator does not actually detect a solved puzzle yet.

I will start a thread in New Puzzles once the pieces get here, but until then the simulator will have to do. Masterkey Sim 0.1

Post subject: Re: Circle Puzzle Simulator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:39 pm 

How is this different from the Triplex?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:04 am 

HeavyTanHat wrote:
does anyone know if this puzzle has ever been done before, or if that name has been used for another puzzle?
I do not know of any.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:18 pm 

rubixwiz031 wrote:
How is this different from the Triplex?

If you mean how is this program different than the Triplex web page, then my program is much simpler. It has only one puzzle, no tracking of moves, time, or even if you've solved the puzzle or not. My newer, web based circle puzzle simulator (which is unfortunately down at the moment due to a web server issue) has many more puzzles and does know when a puzzle is actually solved, but does not yet have move counts, a timer or any save/undo features.

If you mean how is this puzzle different than the Triplex puzzle, they are completely different; the Deepkey as I'm now calling it is a deeper-cut version of the Rashkey which has 4-fold symmetry, where the Triplex is an extension of the Turnstile which is a relatively shallow cut puzzle with 6-fold symmetry. The Quadplex II on the Triplex site is a shallower version of the Rashkey, which does not affect solving except to add fixed centers, as opposed to the Deepkey which has moving centers as well as a new piece type not found on the Rashkey/Quadplex II.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 am 

Hi Heavytanhat,

I tried your simulator but the K&L keys didn't work so I can only spin the left hand side.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:05 am 

Burgo wrote:
I tried your simulator but the K&L keys didn't work so I can only spin the left hand side.

Hmm, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work, other than it was a hastily written program using a toolkit I'd never used before. I've moved my Circle puzzle simulators to the web, and after a web server crash have them back online here. The two color Deepkey is available as well as a simpler three color one that I've actually managed to solve once or twice.

I've only extensively tested the web version on Firefox, but it should work on Firefox, IE9, Safari and Chrome. If anyone has any issues please let me know, as I'd like to eventually make a page with more information on the puzzles like Jaap's, as opposed to just a wall of puzzles like it is now.

Thank you,
Eddie Lee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:26 pm 

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the link, it works on Chrome, but not on IE9 for me. Just a few bugs, I can't get clockwise turns to work (a right click brings up a shortcut menu). And if I click too fast the whole page selects (it registers a double click).

Cheers,
Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:39 pm 

Thanks for giving them a try! I really appreciate any feedback from real world testing.

Burgo wrote:
Thanks for the link, it works on Chrome, but not on IE9 for me.

Do you get an error in IE9, or it just doesn't display anything?

Burgo wrote:
I can't get clockwise turns to work (a right click brings up a shortcut menu).

The disc you click on will turn clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on whether you click to the right or left of center, respectively. I don't use right clicks as this page was originally designed for touchscreen devices.

Burgo wrote:
And if I click too fast the whole page selects (it registers a double click).

I'm not sure if that is something I can get around in Javascript, but I'll see what other people have done. It may just be that the browser grabs double click events before they go to the page, in which case you'll just have to slow down. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:08 pm 

Here is a screenshot of what comes up in IE9.

The practical awkwardness is that a click `left of centre` on the right hand side needs to be done in the small area not common to both sides (otherwise it defaults to the left hand side). But I can now see how to do it :) .

The first thing to improve from my opinion would be a small animation to the twists. It's very difficult to percieve the jump without it. But thanks for providing the page, I will have a few twists there for sure, I really like these kinds of puzzles.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
circle puzzle sim.jpg
circle puzzle sim.jpg [ 86.2 KiB | Viewed 1251 times ]