Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Falling Away From the Hobby
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:08 pm 

Ive been a member on here for a while now, but have basically lurked in the shadows and only posted when I felt like it. I check the forum constantly, but never post. I've started to fall away from cubing. I want to get back into it, but I have no idea as to how. I need ideas for something to spark it all back up again.

That's what she said :D

Post subject: Re: Falling Away From the Hobby
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 pm 

Time heals, buddy. Just pace yourself. I began cubing in 2009 and cubed excessively throughout the year. Come 2010 though, I got bored of it. I sort of took an extended vacation. Then, I found my old box o' cubes and took a few out and remembered how much fun it was. Now, it's 2011 and I'm back into it. Don't be afraid to take a break from anything, just do what you want to do and it will come back to you eventually. Or maybe not. Who knows? But it's nothing to be ashamed of. Life is FOR finding other interests. There's no sense in trying to interest yourself in an old hobby if you genuinely are attracted by other things. We will miss you if you go, but it's all up to you.

--JC--

3x3 - 11.21
Bump - 58.48
Avg of 12 - 18.7

[color=#0000FF] RIP Frank - Join the fight against leukemia.

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:26 pm 

I'd suggest getting some new/different puzzles to add some variation to your collection. What puzzles do you currently have?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:14 am 

After collecting puzzles on and off since 1978, what sparked my interest again was the 3D design aspect of it. And finding out V-cubes and Mefferts were not the only places to buy cubes from :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:56 am 

SHomer9 wrote:
I've started to fall away from cubing. I want to get back into it, but I have no idea as to how. I need ideas for something to spark it all back up again.

Try to figure out *why* you want to get back into it - what is driving you deep down to feel this way: is it the solving, designing, collecting, or simply being part of a community of like-minded people? Then once you've pin-pointed which of these elements you like(d) most about cubing, ask yourself how and whether you could satisfy these needs in other ways, and try those activities in parallel with cubing, see what you gravitate towards.

Also, think about taking on a specific cubing "project" or challenge and set yourself a goal that will keep you engaged (like designing and making a puzzle, solving an entire series of puzzles, entering competitions, creating a local cubing club or website, etc.).

Good luck and hope to see you drop by at least occasionally.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm 

I had the same problem as you. I picked up cubing back in 2006, but then I got bored of it in 2008. Not too long ago, I opened my box of puzzles and brought some on a plane ride. Solving them all again, and just playing with them was the spark that ignited the passion again.

As said above, dont be afraid to step away from it for awhile, and come back to it later.

- Pierce

Dragonball is amazing.