Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Car boot finds
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:03 pm 

Robert111 wrote:

Anyway the car boot sales are coming to an end so this thread will probably go dormant for another year.
Robert

Don't be so sure; Steveo and I both have a good source for secondhand puzzles at our local thrift store. Today, for example, I found the most bizarre sliding tile puzzle. This one is based on abstract art and features many dots, lines, and random shapes.

Attachment:
IMG_9899.JPG
IMG_9899.JPG [ 385.33 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

It is unusual because it is very large (not in size but in number of tiles) and has irregular side lengths; it has been divided up into a 7x9 grid as opposed to the regular 4x4 grid. This puzzle features a piece of art by Joan Miro called "Chiffres et Constellations Amoureux d'une Femme, 1941". Upon further research, I found another work by Joan Miro that had been turned into a sliding puzzle (although that one was a 7x7 grid). Here are some more photos:

Attachment:
IMG_9900.JPG
IMG_9900.JPG [ 362.1 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

This is a reference photo on the back of the puzzle. I found this puzzle already scrambled so I had to solve it (in order to make it more presentable, you see). This was quite difficult to do not only due to the size of the puzzle but also due to the odd shapes and random lines that dot the piece of art. I was only able to solve the puzzle after referencing the back several times (approximately 63 times; one for each tile).

Attachment:
IMG_9901.JPG
IMG_9901.JPG [ 351.66 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: More writing on the side.
IMG_9902.JPG
IMG_9902.JPG [ 407.66 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:19 pm 

Quicksolver, that is one of, if not the most beautiful sliding puzzle I've ever seen.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:31 pm 

Darn near drove me buggy trying to solve it though! :lol: . My eyes were having trouble focusing on the different individual shapes instead of the image as a whole. Seriously, though, it is really impressive and it was another situation where I very nearly passed it over. I saw "Sliding Tile Puzzle...ah boring". Then something seemed odd: the size. It's also a great way to get you to analyze abstract art!

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:42 pm 

That company has done a lot of these slides. I think I have one or two by Miro, and a number by Escher as well. Terribly difficult to solve they are. Well done you for only 63 looks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:31 am 

quicksolver wrote:
This one is based on abstract art and features many dots, lines, and random shapes.

Joan MirĂł didn't do abstract art, it's surrealism :wink:

banderes de blau jo som balear
jo som de Mallorca catalĂ  insular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:27 pm 

Must be very hard to solve this sliding puzzle~Does it have a brand name of it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:48 pm 

The name on the back says "Pussycat Games 'n Arts by Ornamin" and also copyright Bild-Kunst, Bonn 1996.

doctor who wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 pm 

quicksolver wrote:
The name on the back says "Pussycat Games 'n Arts by Ornamin" and also copyright Bild-Kunst, Bonn 1996.

Oh~Thanks for that~ :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:41 pm 

hey guys i have been reading these posts and i think its great all the stuff you guys have found at these sales. if anyone knows of any in america that i might be able to go to let me know with a PM i would really like to find a hidden treasure somewhere :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:58 pm 

Ljschmitt3 wrote:
if anyone knows of any in america that i might be able to go to let me know with a PM i would really like to find a hidden treasure somewhere :)

America is a pretty broad term... :P

Just go searching. There's flea markets and yard/garage sales all over the place here in Massachusetts during the summer, and even some now in the fall. Usually I only find storebought 3x3s and the occasional missing link, but I've gotten a few gems.

Another good place to look is thrift stores. I have one that's close enough for me to walk to and another one a few miles away across town.

90% of the people on this thread have probably been out puzzle hunting a hundred times for every time they've found something worth showing off. It doesn't matter where you live nearly as much as it matters what you do with what you've got.

:)

~~~

All that being said, I found a (presumably old) tower of babylon-esque clone at a yard sale the other day. I think it's solid wood, and the balls are wooden too. there are three layers, with two balls to a layer. I've been looking for something similar but so far, no luck.

EDIT: Here it is! Except mine is a different color wood. I'll take some photos soon to show some things the pictures left out (there's another hole it doesn't show.) http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/pu ... ?pkey=1111

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:15 pm 

well i live in indiana....and what do you mean by thrift store like goodwill or something? (i don't know if goodwill is a national name haha) if not goodwill is like a secondhand shop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 am 

Goodwill, Salvation Army, Oxfam. They are all one and the same (well, you get the idea) They are great places to start. Other ideas? Church/charity/school fetes are also great places to look. not everyone has quicksolver's 'collector' disposing of the collection, not everyone lives a few blocks from a wholesale shop....but then, I don't get garage sales either, and I remember those being amazing places to get puzzles. Every time I go home, garage sales and the local flea market are high on my list of things to do....you never know what you may find.

And Kapusta is right. For every time I go out hunting, I might find something 1:10....It's hit and miss isn't it. Some weeks are better than others. (and I am seriously hoping I find some good things this weekend :D )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 am 

well we have a giant flea market right by my house so i may check that out this weekend hopefully they have something good for me to buy :) ill have to check out goodwill and salvation army for sure too

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:37 pm 

I once found a Switchback for $0.50 at a rummage sale :wink: :
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/pu ... ?pkey=1736

How lucky can you get? and when I was little my very first ever Twisty Puzzle was this one here, which I got at a yard sale for a quarter :)
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/pu ... i?pkey=166

Ah, nostalgia... i found it in my closet a few months back...

--JC--

3x3 - 11.21
Bump - 58.48
Avg of 12 - 18.7

[color=#0000FF] RIP Frank - Join the fight against leukemia.

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:17 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
The only hidden-gem puzzle I've ever found is an Alexander's Star, and that was at a relative's house. But then, I've only looked for puzzles about 10 times (and I haven't found any puzzles at all yet... not even a 3x3x3).