Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recommend / Don't Recommend
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 pm 

This thread will basically discuss puzzles that are of interest to forum members and hopefully other members who already have those puzzles can say whether they recommend them or not. So here goes:

Anybody know anything about the Sphere XYZ?

--JC--

3x3 - 11.21
Bump - 58.48
Avg of 12 - 18.7

[color=#0000FF] RIP Frank - Join the fight against leukemia.

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

Post subject: Re: Recommend / Don't Recommend
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 pm 

I can pretty much recommend every single TomZ puzzle. He is a really skilled puzzle designer.
other guys to mention, Oskar, Eric, Will, Eitan, Garret, Timur, Matthew, Olz, Door.

For hand mods Tony, Anthony, Chino, Traifumi, Dylan, Cubervietnam, Daquin Bao, Smaz

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 pm 

Sphere XYZ is an okay puzzle. Not something I've solved too much, but I come back to it now and again. I don't know if it's worth the $15, or however much it is, but if you can find it used/cheaper it'll be worth your time.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Does anyone recommend the Master Skewb?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:58 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
I do. The turning is pretty good. If you have a FTO, it has a similar feel to it. Solving wise I strongly recommend it too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:41 pm 

How do you guys like the Dayan gem 3? Out of the 3 gems, I think it looks the most fun to solve. Also, does it have the same colors on opposing sides?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:14 am 

GoombaGeek wrote:

Me!

If you were to ask me how awesome it was, I would say "It's SO AWESOME." Because it's SO AWESOME.

And it turns really well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 am 

Noreg89 wrote:
How do you guys like the Dayan gem 3? Out of the 3 gems, I think it looks the most fun to solve. Also, does it have the same colors on opposing sides?
I really liked the Gem 3, it was quite an interesting solve. The `same coloured faces` are on different types of faces, so in effect, the faces are all individually coloured.
Cheers,
burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:12 am 

Hello,

Which one do you recommend the most :
- Mf8 Teraminx or Helicopter Dodecahedron ? (yeah i like dodecahedrons :) )
- Curvy Copter or cuboids like 2x2x3, 2x2x4, 4x4x5... ? (i already have the Helicopter cube)

Thank you,
Matthieu

PS : and please don't answer me "All of them" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 am 

Matthieu wrote:
Hello,

- Curvy Copter or cuboids like 2x2x3, 2x2x4, 4x4x5... ? (i already have the Helicopter cube)

Thank you,
Matthieu

First of all, the technical properties vary a bit, but all of the mentioned puzzles are technically OK.
The Helicopter dodecahedron is a bit stiff, though.
If you like new challenges you should go for a MF8 Teraminx and a cuboid.
Ayi's 4x4x5 is the most difficult challenge of the mentioned cuboids.
Okamoto's 2x2x3 and Hidetoshi's 2x2x4 are great puzzles regarding quality, but much easier than the 4x4x5.

As always, it is a question from where you come when you judge how difficult a puzzle is.
BTW, if you look at the price / challenge ratio a 3x3x3 Crazy Plus is your best choice, by far.
If you have solved several high order cubes (5x5x5, 6x6x6) and the Megaminx, the Teraminx is not so hard but tedious. It requires a lot of concentration and stamina, though.

The Curvy Copter is the most beautiful puzzle of the mentioned, in my view. The challenge is not much different from the Helicopter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:23 am 

GoombaGeek wrote:
I have a custom made, casted Master Skewb and a mass-produced one. The mass-produced is very good as well. I can highly recommend it.
And it is a good challenge, too.
Imagine, you can get an outstanding puzzle for $25 (maybe less) where I have paid $ 425 just half a year before the mass-produced became available. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:28 am 

Noreg89 wrote:
I agree, that the Gem III is the best of the three. Mine is very smooth and solving it is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:54 am 

Konrad wrote:
Matthieu wrote:
Hello,

Thank you,
Matthieu

First of all, the technical properties vary a bit, but all of the mentioned puzzles are technically OK.
The Helicopter dodecahedron is a bit stiff, though.
If you like new challenges you should go for a MF8 Teraminx and a cuboid.
Ayi's 4x4x5 is the most difficult challenge of the mentioned cuboids.
Okamoto's 2x2x3 and Hidetoshi's 2x2x4 are great puzzles regarding quality, but much easier than the 4x4x5.

As always, it is a question from where you come when you judge how difficult a puzzle is.
BTW, if you look at the price / challenge ratio a 3x3x3 Crazy Plus is your best choice, by far.
If you have solved several high order cubes (5x5x5, 6x6x6) and the Megaminx, the Teraminx is not so hard but tedious. It requires a lot of concentration and stamina, though.

The Curvy Copter is the most beautiful puzzle of the mentioned, in my view. The challenge is not much different from the Helicopter.

Thank you a lot for your answer.
In fact i have from 5 to 7 order cubes and i recently received the Mf8 Gigaminx, so yes maybe the Teraminx would be annoying (but still a great puzzle for its technology :) )

I didn't know that the Helicopter Dodec was stiff, but it doesn't scare me, i like challenges. So maybe cuboids would be a good compromise between quality/price/difficulty.

And last but not least, i'm still not interested in crazy families (i just have the crazy 2x2x3), notably because of the number of those puzzles (8 cubes and probably the same for megaminx, tetrahedron and soon octahedron). I hope i'm not the only one to think that :)

BTW, i highly recommend the Gear Shift, because even if it is quite easy, it still remains a veritable piece of art :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 am 

I have the Curvy Copter - and am right now ordering the Helicopter Doecahedron :shock:
The curvy is not hard to solve, but it is really fun - and if you jumble it, it's even more so. I cannot wait for the HeliDodec to arrive.
As for the crazies. I had the Mercury 3x3x3 for several months and then got the Jupiter (it's opposite). They are completely different to solve, and the best bit, you can swap bits out of each of them to make the other ones! So for the price of 2 of them, you get 8 puzzles. I have just finished Earth and Uranus, and am now getting my head around Mars and Neptune. They all have different characters, and again, are just fun.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:02 pm 

Matthieu wrote:
i'm still not interested in crazy families.. notably because of the number of those puzzles (8 cubes and probably the same for megaminx, tetrahedron and soon octahedron). I hope i'm not the only one to think that :)
No, you're not. But this is something that has really started to annoy me (this line of thought). Not for my sake, because I already have them, but for your sake (all the people who think this, not just you :) ).

Konrad is right, `BANG FOR YOUR BUCK`,
Quote:
Master Skewb: you can get an outstanding puzzle for $25 (maybe less) where I have paid $425 just half a year before the mass-produced became available. :wink:
Run out and buy it!! And..
Quote:
Now, why would someone who knows his puzzles and challenges say that?? Is he saying go out and spend $150 on 3x3s, $400 on minx, $200 on Tets, etc? Is $750+ bang for your buck? NO! Listen closer:

As mass produced puzzles they are INCREDIBLY cheap, you can actually buy all 8 3x3 planets cheaper than a single custom one, but that aside.

You only need to buy 2 compatable planets for the 3x3s (eg Jupiter and Mercury). At what used to be $40 and is now about $50.. You can simply exchange the centres to make all the planets. The same goes for the Minx. For the Tets, they are harder to disassemble and match up faces, so you could just start with the basic circle ones: Jupiter, Mercury and Mars.

So what have you spent:
2 compatable 3x3s: $50
2 compatable Minx: $100
3Tets: $75

$225 for 8+8+3=19 cubes (but even more are possible to be created from what you have).
That's $11.84 each.

And as Konrad suggested, you don't need to take it all on at once.. start with the 3x3s (that is the sensible place to start). Under $50 bucks for 8 cubes, all with their own distinct challenges. Run out and buy 2 of them!! :) (Listen to the people who know :wink: ).
BTW If you can still get the stickerless versions, I would highly recommend that for `solvers`.

Cheers,
Burgo :D .

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 pm 

I agree with Burgo and Konrad that you can't go wrong with the crazy series, 3x3x3 and megaminx. I've only solve the Jupiter Tet and am working on the Mercury, so I'm not sure how far I will go with this series. As mentioned go with the colored plastic version for the 3x3x3.

I would like to add the Crazy 4x4 series to the list of crazy cubes. I have solved the I and III and am awaiting another II version because my first version II is in pieces. I don't have the patience to put it back together. Maybe Burgo would like a new challenge, putting together a crazy 4x4x4 version II. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:43 am 

Matthieu wrote:
...BTW, i highly recommend the Gear Shift, because even if it is quite easy, it still remains a veritable piece of art :D
I totally agree that the Gear Shift is a good puzzle. In my view, it is more the idea and the artwork we admire here. If you have solved it a few times, you'll put it on a shelf and probably never touch it again. :wink:
This is completely different with the Crazy series.

This is a thread about puzzles to be recommended and I clearly support everything said by Burgo and ft38.
Please, do not be preoccupied. :)
I understand if people say that there are too many families with too many members (e.g. 12 Bermudas).
On the other hand, why not get a Mercury and a Jupiter 3x3x3? $46 for two physical puzzles representing 16 challenges.
16? Yes if you look at the different solving methods reduction and "Circle Corners Last".
You can start with Jupiter and try to reduce it to a normal 3x3x3 and solve it turning the "normal" (bandaged = 1 = moving circles) faces only.
This is not very hard, but is nice and requires new thinking.
Nobody says you have to do them all. If you like Jupiter you will try the next one, a week later, a month later, a year later. Take it easy :)
And if you are stuck, have a look at Burgo's videos. Highly recommended, too!
If you ask me, the $46 for two Crazy 3x3x3 Plus is a much better investment than around 100 bucks for a MF8 Teraminx. On the other hand, a Teraminx may look more impressive on your shelf :)
(For the MF8 Teraminx I recommend Cubesmith stickers (C4U are the same). They look much nicer than the originals from MF8. At least, this had been the case when I got mine.)

BTW, I would not draw the conclusion that a Crazy 3x3x3 is not for you, if you do not like the Crazy 3x3x2 so much.
They are very different. I like the Crazy 3x3x3 much better.

The funny thing is that I could not find a shop today, where I can buy a coloured plastic version. Now they are all black.
The people have convinced the manufacturer that black is nicer. I'm afraid the very same people will never play with them :(
I have no problem to admit that black looks nicer. That is newly stickered. After a while you would prefer coloured plastic. But you cannot buy them any longer. Beauty has beaten functionality.
I have two black, Saturn and Mars. I'm glad that I could get a second Saturn in coloured plastic.
On my last holiday trip I had two puzzles with me, a Master Skewb (the mass-produced version) and my 3x3x3 Saturn. Those are definitely puzzles to take to an airplane. The Saturn was very hard for me for a long time, now it is just endless fun.

If you are a serious solver there will be a time when you regret that you missed these wonderful puzzles.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:14 am 

Konrad wrote:
The people have convinced the manufacturer that black is nicer. I'm afraid the very same people will never play with them :(

I do. :P I don't like the stickers that come along with it though. I haven't restickered mine with cubesmith labels yet but once that is done the stickers won't only look nice but also last long enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 am 

alaskajoe wrote:
...I do. :P I don't like the stickers that come along with it though. I haven't restickered mine with cubesmith labels yet but once that is done the stickers won't only look nice but also last long enough.
I was not aware of the Cubesmith stickers. Thanks for the hint :)
I will order two sets with my next Cubesmith order. Please, can somebody share the experience with Cubesmith 3x3x3 Crazy Plus stickers?
I have assumed so far, that the tiny size of the corner triangles are the real problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 am 

We have thoroughly hijacked this thread, sorry :oops: , feel free to still recommend / not recommend / ask about puzzles :D .
Hi Alaskajoe,
We know you will be solving! :lol:
I found the pointy parts on the outer edges lifted and dog-eared quickly, as well as the smallest triangles completely coming unstuck.
I might get the replacements too on my next order.
Still at $14.50 extra (including post) for a set of 8, and maintenance :| .
I want to see what you think in a few months time (but you might not have both types to compare like us).
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:58 pm 

Sorry for bumping, but would anyone recommend the IQ 1x2x5 puzzle? If you don't know what im talking about it's this

http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/ ... 7b7fcad2dc

I'm thinking about purchasing one and dying it black and applying normal stickers to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 pm 

Any time you see "IQ" or "Magic" in the title, you can go ahead and ignore it.

The cubies of that puzzle aren't proportional, so I wouldn't bother with that one. I recommend a proportional one if you can find it somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:30 pm 

Aether13 wrote:
Sorry for bumping, but would anyone recommend the IQ 1x2x5 puzzle? If you don't know what im talking about it's this

I'm thinking about purchasing one and dying it black and applying normal stickers to it.

I received one, and have similar plans. For now I've just applied stickers over the originals. It's not a challenging puzzle, and turns stiffly. But if you are a completist...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:53 am 

Joshua Bell wrote:
Aether13 wrote:

I received one, and have similar plans. For now I've just applied stickers over the originals. It's not a challenging puzzle, and turns stiffly. But if you are a completist...

I figured it would be stiff, did you lube your puzzle?