Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Triaphum's Triumphs!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:29 pm 

I have just bought, recieved and started on the solving of Triaphum's mastermorphix series, and I wanted to share my experience. Here is a link that shows pictures of Traiphum's fantastic puzzles: http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... 20morphix/
At what point does a puzzle become a work of art? I think I found it. The mastermorphix, as you know is really just a pyramindal shaped 3x3, solved much like a supercube because of the variable colored "centers." I always wondered how that would translate to a higher layered versions, as it would entail correct placement of the centers despite different colors and shapes of the pieces. The ultramorphix is the four layered version of this, and it too is solved just like a 4x4 supercube. Only it has the added challenge of the mastermorphix shape, which forces you to skew your perspective regarding the solve.
Attachment:
File comment: Megamorphinx, the 4x4 version of pyramophinx
megamorphinx.jpg
megamorphinx.jpg [ 33.33 KiB | Viewed 2225 times ]

I next tackled the Ultramophix, which is the 5x5 version. This too was solved just like a 5x5 supercube, which made the solving the last two "centers" a challenge considering the unique shape. The movement is fantastic, and, not that I have anything against shapeways, but there's something about handling a handmade puzzle that is very satisfying.
Attachment:
File comment: Ultramophix in both pillowed and rouleaux forms
ultramorphinx.jpg
ultramorphinx.jpg [ 64.09 KiB | Viewed 2225 times ]

And now I'm on the 7 layer version. This is the pinnacle of mastermophinx solving.
Attachment:
File comment: 7 layer pyramorphinx. Note the 5x5x5 "supercube" center!
7 layer.jpg
7 layer.jpg [ 42.95 KiB | Viewed 2225 times ]

The unique thing about this puzzle is that it is the first example of a 7x7 supercube that I've attempted! The placement of the last two centers are a puzzle in itself, some pieces requiring specific orientation due to two colors, and some due to its shape. I am currently working on solving the last two centers, and struggling to come up with a variation on the algorithms for the centers of 4 and 5 layer supercubes cubes to apply. It's a perfect combination of a supercube strategy with a mastermorphinx structure and a 7 layer commitment.
Once again, Traiphum has designed and crafted a puzzle that goes beyond mere craftsmanship and enters into the relm of art. I'm also told that a 6 layer version, the "hexaphobic" mastermorphix is coming out, which may also add the even layer parity problems. These puzzles are well worth the investment, and represents, I believe, some of the best examples of craftsmanship, and very challenging solves. The puzzles are very durable (only one peice popped out of the 7 layer as I was solving it, which was easily placed back) as well. Triaphum has shown himself to be not only the master of the cuboid, but also of the mastermophix. Thanks for the great work you do and the hours of entertainment (and frustration at my own solving shortcomings :)
Now, I see the 7 layer mastermix is staring back at me, daring me to continue to try to place those last 2 centers, so, here goes nothing...

Post subject: Re: Triaphum's Triumphs!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:48 pm 

These look amazing!! You bought these all at once? That's quite an investment. Congrats on your new arrivals though. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:34 pm 

Thank you for shared my built puzzles to puzzles member.
The 5x5morphix and higher I ever solved them all : just once / each
5x5 : not reach because it have adge flip parity (that happen in regular 5x5) so after solve it,then need reset the center again it look infinity :D
6x6 : done no parity (sloved leyer by leyer)
7x7 : done no parity

5x5,7x7 I solved by regular cube method, the fifth center is not hard but the last center set it as we are playing domino start from inner(also6x6)

Enjoy with them,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 pm 

traiphum wrote:
Thank you for shared my built puzzles to puzzles member.

Believe me, the pleasure is all mine!
So I finally finished all the centers on the 7x7. I managed to adapt the strategy used to place the outer edges of the center to the inner edges, which cycles three pieces around. I didn't use the domino technique, but just an adaptation to the R Ui Li U Ri Ui L, where the R is moved from the 5th layer, and the L is moved from the 4th layer. This conserves the outer corners of the 5th layers, which I placed previously. I'm just trying to decide if I should continue with the rest of the solve, or rescramble the centers again to make sure that I have it down. I figure the rest of the puzzle is a matter of placing the edges just like a cubic 7x7, and after that is just like the mastermorphix solve. I suppose I'd like to see a solved puzzle looking back at me first. I didn't encounter any parity situations from any of the puzzles, so I'll be rescrambling them again to see how I fair with that.
77mouser wrote:
These look amazing!! You bought these all at once? That's quite an investment. Congrats on your new arrivals though.

Definitely worth the investment! I was showing them to some of my non twisty puzzle collecting friends, and it blew their minds!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:25 am 

At IPP I saw and handled one of Triaphum's 4x4x4 mastermorphix (owned by Frank Tiex).

From the pictures I knew it would be amazing but was even more beautiful than I had imagined.

Fantastic work Triaphum, I hope I can be as lucky as Frank and Doctor Who and have one in my collection some day!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:40 pm 

So my Hexaphobic arrived! I think this is probably among my favorite of the cube to pyramid mods. Although a little stiff at first, it broke it very nicely. As a six layer pyramorphix, it has the smoothness of the seven and five layer (the ultramorphix), with the challenge of the 4 layer, being even layered and thus having the threat of parity.
Attachment:
with 7 layer.JPG
with 7 layer.JPG [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

Attachment:
another with 7 layer.JPG
another with 7 layer.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

Attachment:
line formation.JPG
line formation.JPG [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 1952 times ]
Attachment:
shapeshifted.JPG
shapeshifted.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

The turning now is so smooth that its practically "finger trickable" (there are some expressions that only make sense when used in the twisty puzzle community! If I said that in any other forum, it would sound almost dirty!)

What surprised me, however, about the puzzle, is that I've solved it two times and have yet to deal with any of the impossible center parity that I encounter with the megamorphix (4 layer) while solving the last layer! After the first scramble and solve, I thought I just got lucky, so I scrambled it again thinking that statistically speaking I should run into it, but I didn't! I haven't scrambled it a third time due to time constraints, but I'm wondering if perhaps thats just not a parity I have to worry about.

In any case, this is another example of the craftsmanship and brilliance that emerges from of a hand made puzzle. It's builders like Traiphum who remind us that, in order to explore the true potential of what twisty puzzles have to offer, it's often necessary to leave the realm of the mass produced puzzles and seek out and support the builders that truly raise the field to the level of an art.

Now what's this I hear about a slim pyramorphix, a rex pyramorphix, a domino mastermorphix, and a 1x3x3 version, and where can I get one??!!??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:01 pm 

I am so jealous of you! These are so beautiful. Traiphum is a true craftman!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel