Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to solve Circle Cubes and Megaminx - e.g. Dayan's Cr
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:08 pm 

Hi Andrea,

I have switched centers many times and have yet to break a piece. I do not force the piece in. I take a tool with a plastic edge and wedge it between the center piece and an inside edge piece. Then I push the inside edge piece out and the center pops in quite nicely. It's like using a shoe horn. I wrap my hand around the other pieces to get keep them in place and since I use a tool with a plastic edge there is no danger of cutting myself or damaging the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:28 pm 

No, I have only the Earth version, so I didn't change the center pieces. Maybe the screw was too tightened or it just had an error, don't know. I will ask for a replacement part..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:34 am 

Termite wrote:
ok, my Earth Megaminx relaxing has an end for some time, the beige center is broken, as you see here:

I hope I can get a replacement for it...

Michael
Hi Michael, I would try superglue first. It may be not so easy getting a replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:05 am 

glueing is an option. Would super glue be better or a special plastic glue? I have Uhu Plast special at home, taht works normally pretty good with plastic. I don't know if superglue would be even better.

I'm also not sure if I just can glue the two centerparts together, instead or in addition to screwing.

Also, when turning a 0-side you apply a force to the center which gets hold back by the second inner center to which it is screwed which looks like a hexagonal bolt at one end. That hexagonal part then applys the force to the clued round part of the outer center and I fear that this force allways breaks the clued part again...
You can see it in the image...

Attachments:
File comment: the broken center
center-s.jpg
center-s.jpg [ 114.87 KiB | Viewed 6005 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:11 am 

Hi Michael,
To me it looks like the stem may have come out of the mold deformed and it may have been forced into the centre piece, breaking it? The tip of the stem is out of shape, it looks more than burred over. I think MF8 might send you new parts? They have good customer service. Super-glue will be the best to hold it temporarily, but you are right, the 0 centres take the most force because they must hold the centre stationary while the outside spins around it. What a mess :( .
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:12 am 

Termite wrote:
glueing is an option. Would super glue be better or a special plastic glue?
I have used superglue ("Uhu plus schnell fest") very often for glueing puzzle parts.
Termite wrote:

I'm also not sure if I just can glue the two centerparts together, instead or in addition to screwing.
You can glue them together, but that would make exchainging this 0 centre harder (for making other planets). I would try superglue on the outer part first: Press the crack on the right (outer) piece open a bit, put superglue with the tip of a nail or a needle into the crack (press a little amount of superglue onto a glass and tap the nail into it first). After that I would make a coat of superglue on the outside of the boken piece and let it dry for several hours.
Termite wrote:
Also, when turning a 0-side you apply a force to the center which gets hold back by the second inner center to which it is screwed which looks like a hexagonal bolt at one end. That hexagonal part then applys the force to the clued round part of the outer center and I fear that this force allways breaks the clued part again...
You can see it in the image...
The pressure is applied by the screw to the top of the left (inner) piece.
The flat backface of this inner piece (not visible on your photo) is pressed onto the core to avoid its turning. The force that made your right piece break was probably applied by catching circle pieces around the centre and not by the screw.

If this first try fails, you can always glue the two parts together.

EDIT: regarding Burgo's comment: The photo does not show clearly what happened to the left (inner) piece. If the stem is not too bad, you could try sanding it.
I recollect that you had problems with your light yellow face before, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 pm 

yes I had problems before with the beige face.
I have allready sanded down the piece, so that the two pieces fit together again.
Now I'll try clueing them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:12 pm 

o.k., the clueing lasted one turn, then it broke again.
The good news: it seems, that I can get a replacement center.
To make the next two weeks shorter I could modify my ex-Earth to something new.
I don't like the current config with three adjacent 1-faces, as it allows to flip edges...
I made three configurations, you see it here:

Attachment:
schema.png
schema.png [ 141.8 KiB | Viewed 5953 times ]

does someone here has an idea which configuration would be the most interesting?

A has two seperated areas with 1-faces, B and C have one longe area with 1-faces.

Ideas welcome :)

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 am 

Now that the black plastic crazy planets have arrived, and all the "coloured plastic is awful" people perhaps start snapping them up, I'd like to point people - whether new or veterans - once again to Burgo's videos on the crazy planet cubes.

I promised Burgo I'd get onto his videos to solve them by reduction, and I finally got opportunity to do so. Solving them by reduction was completely new to me (I've only done circle corners last before) and extremely enjoyable. It has increased my sense of enjoyment at these puzzles. He has methods for reducing to standard cubes and circle cubes as appropriate.

Anyway, having made a few videos myself, I know how much time and effort went into his videos and I want to thank him for doing that. I, for one, have benefited!

You can find his videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/burgocube

If you haven't solved any by reduction, I'd do them in this order: Jupiter, Uranus, Mercury, Earth, Neptune. Neptune is by far my favourite and I might well just keep solving that once a day for the rest of my life.

Now, onto my first crazy megaminx...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:25 am 

Hi Cubers,

I have a question: Anyone got a better parity fix for `this` on the LL edges for Neptune:

F Bandaged (Orange), R Unbandaged (Yellow), U Bandaged (Green), and put the parity on FU & RU:
(FURU'R'F') U (FURU'R'F') U' (Sune-RUR'UR U3 R') (FURU'R'F') then U2' (Sune Mirrored-L'U'LU'L' U3' L) U2
Cheers,
Burgo.

PS Thanks Rline, nice.

Attachments:
Neptune Minx Parity.jpg
Neptune Minx Parity.jpg [ 36.82 KiB | Viewed 5897 times ]

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:56 am 

Hi Burgo,

you inspired me to transform my Uranus to Neptune and Earth to Mars. Thanks for the tips.
I had done it sucessfully. ( I exchanged the dark and light yellow center core pieces) Now I try to solve it like a Mercury cube. It's similar.

Your situation I had on Earth with my block by block solving method. My solution was to make a 3 cycle where 2 of the 3 inner edges have the same color.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:41 pm 

Hi Andrea,
It's preferred to be a 3 cycle of inner edges that doesn't move outer edges, or keeps outer edges on the same face. On the 3x3s we use Konrad's Parity Algo, which is an edge 3cycle RU' RU RU RU' R'U' R2 with U. My solution to this parity looks complex but it is actually easy to follow and remember. If you know the algos you can `see` what I am doing with the sequence easily. I am interested to know what others have come up with :D .

Good luck with Neptune and Mars.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:13 am 

Burgo wrote:
My solution to this parity looks complex but it is actually easy to follow and remember.

I'm interested to this. May you show me the solution ?

I had the same situation. It's not parity. This is the same situation ending with one unbandaged face at top and bandaged faces right and left.
The Cubes Earth, Saturn and Mars can end in this situation. My ending with megaminx Earth is the same.
Two bandaged faces (left and right) and one unbadaged in the top.

With cubes it's easier because you can exchange 2 edges with sune. On Megaminxes that's not possible. There is no parity. But it looks like parity because 2 circlecorners with same color can switch too.

configuration:

Up face unbandaged.
No front face !
Right face bandaged.
Left face bandaged.

1) R U' R' U or U' R U R'
2) L U L' U' or U L U' L'
3) R' L R' L (L2)
4) L R' L' R ( R2)

Only the combination of this solves this situations, I think ?

I had the same situation as you. I solved it with this sequences. The sequences (1 2) exchanged the circle-edges and outer edges. after sequences ( 3 4) it's possible to resolve the outer edges.
This solution is very difficult and perhaps awful :( . But I have no other idea.

I solved now all paired edges. I bagan with pairing corners. I made a mistake. So I get a scrambled megaminx and must begin from start. :( :( :(

There are great differences between mega Earth and cube Earth. On Cube you can easy flip 2 paired edges beacause there are 3 bandaged faces around a corner.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:58 am 

I posted my solution, maybe it wasn't clear (didn't look like a solution):

Hold Megaminx Neptune like: F Bandaged (Orange), R Unbandaged (Yellow), L Unbandaged (Grey), U Bandaged (Green).
And put the parity on FU & RU:

(FURU'R'F') U (FURU'R'F') U' (Sune-RUR'UR U3 R') (FURU'R'F') resolves it
then U2' (Sune Mirrored-L'U'LU'L' U3' L) U2 cycles the outer edges.

Yours looks shorter, I will give it a go. Mine solves it completely, I haven't tried yours yet. I thought it was a parity because you can't do a 2 cycle of edges, so we have to rebuild the edges to make a 3 cycle possible.

There are not 3 bandaged faces on Cube Earth :? , what did you mean?. But I am 1/2 way through a Neptune Minx tutorial, maybe next weekend. That's why I wanted to know, perhaps a better parity? fix.

Cheers,
Burgo.

EDIT: I just went to try yours, but I needed it for Neptune with the LL as a `bandaged` face. You listed U as `unbandaged` for your Earth method :( .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:49 am 

Hi Burgo,
I worked out a "new" solving method for Neptune.

1) Solve the 2 opposite corners ( 1 white blue darkyellow, 2 lightblue grey lightyellow) completely. Order:
outer corners, outer edges, paired triangle with inner edges.

2) Build blocks around the 6 free faces. Begin with 1 complete block on 2 unbandaged faces.
On the bandaged face, first insert the circleedge then pair the outer edge withe the other circlecorner and place it. The difficult are the last 2 faces.

There are some rules I found.

Each outer edge is on the right or on the bad side. If it has one paired circleedge it must be on the wrong side. If it has 2 or zero paired circleedges it must on the right side. A outer edge with one paired circleedge is a bad edge. All other are good edges.

It's possible that 2 paired edges are flipped. That's eqivalent with the situation that 2 circleedges ( no paritiy because a 3 cycle where 2 colors are equal) are exchanged.

I make a 3 cycle with my posted sequences and think obout the rules of bad edges and wrong sides.

I solved the mega earth, mega neptune ( edges) and cubes ( saturn, earth, mars) in this way.

I solved my paired edges. Now I must pair the corners.

After the completation I try your sequences.

Thanks.

Burgo wrote:
There are not 3 bandaged faces on Cube Earth :? , what did you mean?

This I had written to explain flipping 2 paired edges. On Cube Neptune there are 3 bandaged faces around one corner. On Cube and Mega Earth there are only 2 adjacent bandaged faces.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:05 am 

That's pretty much how I have been doing it, I think, except I just go around and make sure all edges are built with correct orientation to begin with. Then I do a LL like the Saturn 3x3. But I may end up with the situation in the picture on the LL. Corners are easy to pair up with CCs. Then the LL requires a few little tricks ^^posted above to orientate the corners. I think your method is very similar to mine :D .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:40 am 

Hi Crazy Cubers and Crazy Megaers,

Burgo wrote:
Then the LL requires a few little tricks ^^posted above to orientate the corners.

Yes.
I solved my Crazy Mega Neptune after many hours, but for Mega Earth I need more hours. The last step was difficult too. After pairing edges with triangles it was not possible to solve it easy. So I solved it like Mega Earth. :lol: It was easier and faster to destroy partial edges and solve blockwiese instead of memorize thousand of setup-moves . ;)

Orient and permute corners and edges with only 2 badaged faces. This was the easiest way.
The Crazy Mega Neptune is as difficult like the Mega Earth, I think.

Very interesting, this puzzle !!!

Cheers,
Andrea

( edit)
One of the tricks. One bandaged face on the left, one bandaged face in the front and the third bandaged face in the right. Fill in a Corner, so the edge goes out. Save the complete corner ( 2 corners and one edge) with L'2 F'2 L2 ( this doesn't touch the edge) then reinsert the edge. After this restore the block with the reverse ( L'2 F2 L2).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 am 

Hi Burgo,

Quote:
I have a question: Anyone got a better parity fix for `this` on the LL edges for Neptune:

F Bandaged (Orange), R Unbandaged (Yellow), U Bandaged (Green), and put the parity on FU & RU:
(FURU'R'F') U (FURU'R'F') U' (Sune-RUR'UR U3 R') (FURU'R'F') then U2' (Sune Mirrored-L'U'LU'L' U3' L) U2

After solving my Mega Neptune I tried your sequence. It works fine.
Thank you. Perhaps this is better than mine technique to solve/pair last edges.

Interesting is the idea behind. There are simmilar equivalent sittuations by example 2 complete flipped edges. Perhaps your sequence is more useable to solve all variations. The length of sequence doesn't matter for me. I 'm not a speedcuber. The simple elements , the sunes are important.

Thanks for share it.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hi Crazy Experts,

Did someone solve the Crazy Megaminx Mars ?

I solved it. Yeahh !

I think it's the most difficult Crazy Megaminx.
My solution is perhaps not perfect. I hope someone has a better solution.

1) Solve the blue/yellow/white egde corner, edges and circleedges.

2) complete inner circles on the hemisphere. (difficult)
( one hemisphere is limited by the 6 nonbandaged faces around the megaminx)

3) solve all outer edges in the hemisphere.
4) solve the 6 outer edges on the borderline between the hemispheres.
5) fill in the inner edges.

6) pair all edges in the other ( grey, lightyellow, lightblue) hemisphere.

7) pair all corners with triangles.

8) solve one hemisphere.

9 a) if pseudo orienatation parity, transfer one corner to the other hemisphere and orient 2 corners, and retransfer.
b) if psydoparity exchanged 2 corners , bring it to the other hemisphrere and exchange the corners and retransfer.
c) complete hemisphere.

10) complete the other hemisphere.

Cheers,

Andrea

PS: The Mars is harder than earth and neptune, I think.
The solving strategy was my idea, I saw no video on youtube.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:10 pm 

Hi Andrea,

Congratulations, There are definately 4 `more challenging` Minxs (Saturn, Earth, Mars & Neptune), and it sounds like you have solved all of those now :D !

My strategy for the Mars Minx is pretty much exactly the same as my strategy for the Earth Minx. Now, I think, it might be the same for you? You are influenced by your Earth method? It sounds like a very different strategy to mine, I solve the inner edges first. And I don't get all those parities though. I admire your tenacity.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:19 am 

Hi Burgo,
Quote:
You are influenced by your Earth method?

Yes.
The next solving of my Mega Mars I will try to solve the first hemisphere completely, so I get no parity and I must not permute corners between the hemispheres.

I use a solution method area by area ( layer by layer) to solve Mega Earth.
The advantage is that the last pieces become easier to solve.

What about Mega Mercury and Mega Venus ? Easy with pairing edges with triangles ? Worthwhile to assemble it?

The Crazy Megaminx Earth is solveable with pairing edges with triangles ( your method) or pairing corners with triangles ( my method).
I use both solving strategies alternately. It's like 2 different minxes ! :lol:
So the Earth ( Cube/ Megaminx) are the most interesting crazy puzzles.

Cheers,
Andrea

(edit) Yes, it's easier solvable with complete one hemisphere. This is similar to my Mega Earth method. My first solving of Mars was awkward.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 am 

Hi Andrea,

Busy solving week, hey. I will admit, there is mostly some type of cube next to me when I relax too 8-) .

If you ever tackle Mars Minx with the `reduce to circle cube` method, you may get the same `2 edges need flipping in the LL, like on the Venus 3x3. My approach was similar to our Venus 3x3 method (which as I remember was practically the same). I used a bandaged face as U. I set up for a EPS with the `3 outer edges`, (eg with the edge not belonging in U on the U layer, and the other edge in U flipped), then switched the `2 whole edges` in the U layer with sunes, then performed the EPS I had set up for with the `3 outer edges`, then switched the `2 whole edges` back with sunes. It worked really neatly.

Quote:
What about Mega Mercury and Mega Venus ? Easy with pairing edges with triangles ? Worthwhile to assemble it?
I did it just to solve them, they are very easy with the `reduce to circle cube` method, as you say. There will be no challenge, but you might as well do it if you like? Uranus, Saturn, Earth, Mars & Neptune are more fun. The others don't compare to them.

Your improved method for Mars sounds very nice :D .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:14 am 

Hi Burgo,

Burgo wrote:
Your improved method for Mars sounds very nice

Thanks for the feed back.
The first method I need many hours( 5 - 6) . With the improved method I need only 1 and an halve hour for Mega Mars.

With this method Mars is easier than Earth !
Quote:
If you ever tackle Mars Minx with the `reduce to circle cube` method, you may get the same `2 edges need flipping in the LL, like on the Venus 3x3. My approach was similar to our Venus 3x3 method (which as I remember was practically the same)

Ok. I can solve the Mega Earth with your circle cube method, too. Perhaps it's better I reassemble to Mega Earth instead of Venus. Better for the threads in the core.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:38 am 

Hi Burgo, Andreas, Konrad, Termite etc.

I am going to be getting a Jupiter 3x3x3 soon to go with my Mercury so I can get through all the permutations..
Firstly, which of the permutations are "worth" it. I see that Earth is mentioned alot and Saturn but what are the funnest (not a real word I know) ones to do. I really enjoy the different stages to the Mercury - even the parity! And Jupiter seams like it would be alot easier (and I will solve it when I get it), but it will be quickly cannibalised for Earth, Satrun etc.

Secondly, I may stretch to a Megaminx Crazy too. What is the best one to get first that is not "easy" or hardest", so I can buy the mirror one later.

Thanks, both for any replies, and also for making me feel less crazy for loving Crazies :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:02 pm 

Welcome Oxy :D ,

I will make a list of the order in which I would recommend solving these puzzles for people starting out (to grow your knowledge), rather than a list of `difficulties`, which we have done in the past.
For the reduction method I think it is essential for people stating out to recognise that there are 2 distinct groups. I will put a (C) for `reduce to circle cube` and a (RC) for `reduce to Rubiks cube`, (for what I do, not for what others do, or what it is possible to do).

3x3 Planets

For the Reduction method (which I think is the preferred method):
Jupiter(RC) > Uranus(RC) > Mercury(C) > Neptune(C>RC) > Earth(C>RC) > Saturn (RC)> Mars(RC) > Venus(C)

For the CCL method (I can’t imagine doing Jupiter or Uranus by CCL so..):
Mercury > Venus > Earth > Neptune > Mars > Saturn

Megaminx Planets

Reduction method:
Easier: Jupiter(N) > Mercury(C) > Venus(C) > Uranus(RC) (If you can solve the 3x3 planets with reduction these are a snack and you can skip them- although Uranus is fun).
Challenging: Saturn(C>RC) > Earth(C) > Mars(C) > Neptune(RC)

As for which correlating puzzle to buy in the 3x3s it would be obvious to start with Jupiter and Mercury, like you have. As for the Minx, one of the Earth / Uranus, Mars / Neptune or Jupiter / Mercury pairs would be a good combo to get. The Saturn Minx is a nice place to start (but it does not have a matching opposite puzzle). ALL of the 3x3 planets are `worth it` :wink: , they all have a unique personality.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Last edited by Burgo on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm 

oxymoronicuber wrote:
and also for making me feel less crazy for loving Crazies :)

Hello and welcome oxymoronicuber,

Fortunately for you, there are many excellent tutorials on YouTube, including ones by Burgo, rline and Andrea. See one of my earlier posts for some links. When using reduction, knowing the edges first method would be a good place to start. Burgo demonstrates it well for the reduction approach. My 2 favourite 3x3s are Venus and Saturn because I follow Burgo's approach and he finishes solving both using a domino cube approach.

Although I have started working on other puzzles, I still return to both the crazy cubes and megaminx series because just when I thought I was out they pulled me back in.

Enjoy the ride!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:00 am 

Hi oxymoronicuber and all together,

the fun is that each Crazy planet looks like the other but is very different in it's functionality.
The extreme all faces bandaged = Rubiks Cube.
The other extreme all faces = unbandaged = Rubiks Cube , too. ( with marked centers) It exists videos on You Tube how to make circle cubes. The easiest way is get a waterproofed pen and mark the centers of a Rubiks Cube the functionality is like a circle cube.
All circle edges are in orbits, all triangle are unseparable to it's edges.

To lern the funktionality the easiest with one unbandaged face is jupiter, to learn pair pieces and build blocks.
With the second the Mercury you can learn to pair edges with circle corners with Burgos excellent method.

Mercury and Venus can be solved with Burgos method. All other Crazy Planets can bee solved with pairing corners with circle corners.

There are some techniques. By example ending with to bandaged faces and one unbandaged face and pair the last edges. ( Mars, Saturn, Earth)
All cubes excluded mercury and venus can go in this endgame.

All this techniques are possible with Crazy Cube Earth.
This one Cube is solvable with Burgos method and with corner triangle pairing. ( My video)
So if you can solve Crazy Earth with two methods you can solve all other.

But Earth is most difficult cube , I think.
The megaminxes are much more difficult. First I recommend cubes.

I recommend rlines and Konrad's methods, too. First inner crosses , corners and triangles at end.
Much fun with Crazy Cubes and Megaminxes Planets.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:29 pm 

Thanks for the welcome :)
Burgo:
That list is great. I do Mercury with CCL, so will bend my mind round reduction for Jupiter before cannibalising it for other planets, working up to Andrea's "challenge" of Earth solved by both methods!
I think I will hold off of the mega's for a while but probably go for the Earth/Uranus.
ft38:
I have been through at least 10 tutorials for planets so far, and I only have Mercury :shock: . They have all been really well made and get the method over so clearly, that they are a pleasure to watch.
I really agree with your last remark as well. I have NxN's a megaminx and a Gigaminx as well as some other twisty's, but it is the crazy that I carry around. (Although I am trying to master the Master Skewb at the moment. :) )
Andrea:
Thanks for your advice too. As I said earlier, I shall walk before I run!

So what are you going onto now. Tetras or waiting for Octahedrons?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:39 pm 

Hi Planet ears, uhum Planeteers,

I have been making this tutorial for a while now, hope you enjoy it:

Neptune Megaminx Tutorial
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_nzhknvurg
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YZBoc0OppI

Next stop Mars. Also, if you weren’t aware, I have added a part 4 to the Earth Minx tutorial, with a slightly improved method (that goes for about 5 mins). And speaking of Earth, don’t forget that when you attach the CCs to outer edges on a `circle cube reduction` you are actually doing a 3 cycle (not a direct swap). If you are clever, and there is opportunity, you can setup to place the CC you intend to exchange out as well (by doing a setup move onto the bandaged face with a target position at the beginning) 8-) . This can be a benefit on occasions, but if you hunt for it continually it will just slow you down, or worse, cause setup nightmares.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 am 

Hi Circle Cubers,

Just checking in, over the last few weeks I have been having a bit of cubing fun, so I will share some of it:

I have had a bit of a dig on Bo Hu’s Sim and I would encourage you to have a go too. I solved a number of 4x4 and 5x5 circle cubes, well, pretty much all of them. Here is a small selection to whet your appetite:

I started to move on to some of the higher order planet cubes, but there is no save function presently so it makes it difficult to achieve.

Also I solved a few puzzles on Gelatinbrain, the notable ones to mention here were the circle 2x2s. I wish someone would mass produce those.. brilliant fun. And I had always wanted to solve a Master Brillic so I gave that a crack.

Also, over the past few days Rline and I have been working away in the background on the Crazy Tets, comparing notes and such. So far we have reduction solutions for Jupiter, Mercury and Mars, based on the same methods for the 3x3 and Minx planets. But I think I am going to stop at those 3 for a break, other things in my life are calling me. I just wanted to whet your appetites :D .

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 3.jpg
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 3.jpg [ 147.76 KiB | Viewed 5330 times ]
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 2.jpg
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 2.jpg [ 133.28 KiB | Viewed 5330 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm 

Reduction Methods for Standard, Jupiter, Mercury and Mars Crazy Tetrahedrons
I think it is obvious that this is a *SPOILER* if you don’t want to read on..

Tetrahedron Notation:

There are 2 ways to look at a Tetrahedron `face turning` and `vertex turning`. For face turning we will hold the Tet elevated with a U face and a tip on that face pointing towards us: we will then have URF & B faces to turn, and D will be a vertex turn of the lower tip. For Vertex turning we will imagine the Tet sitting flat on a table with an F face: we will then have RLU & B corners to turn, and D will be a face turn of the lower layer.

When I am talking about Parity, I am talking about the situation where at the end of the solve you may end up with one corner placed and 3 unplaced, this is an impossible situation to fix at this stage, so it must be addressed earlier in the solve. It is caused by an incorrect placement of the inner edges (which is a centre reorientation).There are a number of ways we can fix or avoid it.

If I say EPS I mean either (R'LRL') or (LR'L'R) sequences, and CC= inner corners.

Tetrahedron Standard Method 1 (vertex turning):

Rotate 3 (white) outer corners until 3 same coloured stickers are on the first face and make this face D
Place the corresponding (white) outer edges- RU'R' or L'UL sequences
Rotate outer edges in U tip with Sune: RUR'URUR'
Flip 2 outer edges in U + F positions (R'LRL') (UL'U'L)
Switch 2 + 2 centres in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3
To place inner edges (Orientate Centres): Place a double unsolved outer edge in the FD position, with the matching inner edge for the F centre in either RD or LD.
Do a D or D’ turn to place that inner edge under its matching centre.
(R'LRL')x3 [Do a D or D’ turn to return the D face] (R'LRL')x3

Tetrahedron Standard Method 2 (face turning):

Place inner edges
Solve (white) face outer edges with setup moves and (R'LRL') or (LR’L’R)
Solve the 3 remaining outer edges with (R'LRL') or (LR’L’R)
Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3
{Alternative 1} Orientate 2 corners with: [(R'LRL')x3 D (R'LRL')x3 D’] for F & D corners.
{Alternative 2} Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.
[Mirror (RL'R'L)2 U (L'RLR')2 U'] Orientates RB & F corners.
NB: The sequence for orientating 3 corners in the U layer is [(RL'R'L)x2 U]x3

Jupiter Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Standard Cube:

1) Reduce inner and outer edges with the white face as U. Turn un-made edges onto U and turn them into each other.
2) Solve the 3 white edges and keep them in position for corner reduction.
3) The corners should now be opposing [solvable with a 2 + 2 swap] or all placed (relative to the solved edges). If they are not (if 1 is placed and 3 are unplaced), they will be in parity later. If you find it difficult to position them them intuitively, you can rotate 3 and keep 1 stationary with: (Any orientation other than where U is unbandaged) Rotate 3 corners on L face (R U R U')x2. You can switch out corners (2 + 2 swap) in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3 if you like (to help visualize it).
4) Reduce inner and outer corners with the white face as U. Turn unmade corners onto U and turn them into each other.
Target corner position in the U face in the F position, target corner piece in the D tip with its target side facing on the B face: (R’LRL’)3 [conserves the 2 back corners facing up. It switches them, but conserves their orientation].
Or perform this orientation sequence without turning the unbandaged face: Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.
5)Check the final arrangement of the corners in a (2 + 2 opposites pattern). In order to not disrupt CCs you will need to perform the corner 3 cycle algo with R & U as bandaged faces (a setup move may be needed).
6) Solve remaining 3 edges with EPS sequences (RL'R'L)etc. [avoid unbandaged face]
7) Switch 2 + 2 opposite corners with: (R’LRL’)3 [avoid unbandaged face] and orientate them with [avoid unbandaged face]:
Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.
[Mirror (RL'R'L)2 U (L'RLR')2 U'] Orientates RB & F corners.
Orientate 3 corners in the U layer [(RL'R'L)x2 U]x3

Mercury Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Circle Cube:

1) Twist the corners into their correct position or you may get parity later (orientation is not necessary).
2) Make the Orange `bandaged face` the U face.
3) Place inner edges like the 3x3 Mercury (remember all U row inner edges are unexchangeable). You will not disturb the outer corners from `their non-parity situation` if you restrict yourself to: up, replace, down sequences to solve the inner edges.
This is the simplest way to avoid parity on Mercury. If you have made a mistake and the corners are out of (2 + 2 swappable) you can do a R turn and fix 3 inner edges to repair corners. Alternatively you could fix the parity later with the corner 3 cycle algo: rotate 3 corners on L face, make U & R unbandaged to not upset CCs and perform (R U R U')x2, you may need to apply it twice.
4) Solve the 3 CCs in the lower tip. Put the lower tip outer edges in `backwards` or `flipped` (with EPS sequences), you only need to do 1 at a time, and you don’t need any other edges placed at this time. Put the outer edge in upside down, turn it’s correct coloured CC onto it with a U turn, and then `flip it in correctly` and leave it there. Do the next one.
5) The orange CCs attach to the other (top) end of the lower edges. They will just `be done` if I do all the rest of the U `row` outer edges and CCs (row= the U layer excluding the U face). They are `leftovers`.
6) Attach 6 correct CCs to 3 orange outer edges (using EPS sequences and U turns). It's not so hard to keep track of them because there's only 3 outer edges, but restricted space creates a challenge. You are doing the same thing as for the previous edges, but accounting for your U turns (made edge/CC relationships should be stored in the U layer (orientation irrelevant). EDIT: I have found that targeting `same coloured CCs` is easier than completing edges or using available CCs. It is visually easier to keep track of and helps to set up for a simpler situation for the last 2 CCs.
7) The last edge/few CCs. On the last edge you have to remember that, even what appears to be a swap of 1 CC for another, is actually a 3 cycle of CCs. You also may need to break the `format` visually (displace a few edges in the lower tip) to complete what you need to do, especially on the `last 3 cycle (CC swap)`: Here I include 2 same coloured CCs on the U layer (to switch 2 same colours and place the last one).
8) Last (your Tet is reduced, but) you have to realign the U layer I/S edges, but you have to do it with 3 same coloured CCs in the U layer. Use EPS sequences, and if necessary setup/restores to achieve this. Just remember that you don't have to use orange CCs to do it, you can use any available colour as long as you have 3 `same coloured CCs`.
9) Avoid turning the orange face from now on or you will displace CCs.
10) Solve orange outer edges with EPS and setups. Then solve lower 3 with EPS
11) Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3
12) Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.

Mars Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Standard Cube:

1) Reduce (solve) the first 4 inner edges. You need to solve yellow and white inner edges in the rows under the bandaged faces first. Begin with one row (yellow & white) and then make the other row the top row. To do the other row, insert one of the others on the wrong centre, place the other in the corresponding position on the U layer (with a `setup, up, replace, down` EPS sequence) and slide them around into place. Alternatively you can also use (R U R U')x2 with an unbandaged face as U and your last bandaged face as R: to cycle 3 inner edges around R, and place your last inner edge.
2) The remaining inner edges (the other 2 yellow & white + all the orange & blue) can be solved with setup, up, replace, down EPS sequences like Mercury. (NB Before you do them, you should be able to remove corner parity by rotating the corners into position with the unbandaged faces).
3) Solve the outer edges with [EPS sequences on unbandaged faces] and [setup/restore moves that may include bandaged faces] taking care not to displace inner edges.
4) Pair CCs to Outer Corners by using orientation sequences: Orientate 2 corners, on BL & BR with [bandaged faces as U & R] and perform: R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y'. And corner switching sequences: 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3. (Along with appropriate setup and restore moves). Combined with U turns of a chosen unbandaged face, eg the white face, to build corners.
5) Place corners with [bandaged faces as R & L] and perform: Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3, setup moves if needed. And use: (R U R U')x2 [bandaged faces as U & R] where a 3 cycle of corners on the L face is needed.
6) Orientate 2 corners, on D & BL with [bandaged faces as U & R] and perform: R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y'.

Mars Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Circle Cube:

1) Reduce (solve) the first 4 inner edges. You need to solve yellow and white inner edges in the rows under the bandaged faces first. Begin with one row (yellow & white) and then make the other row the top row. To do the other row, insert one of the others on the wrong centre, place the other in the corresponding position on the U layer (with a `setup, up, replace, down` EPS sequence) and slide them around into place. Alternatively you can also use (R U R U')x2 with an unbandaged face as U and your last bandaged face as R: to cycle 3 inner edges around R, and place your last inner edge.
2) The remaining inner edges (the other 2 yellow & white + all the orange & blue) can be solved with setup, up, replace, down EPS sequences like Mercury. (NB Before you do them, you should be able to remove corner parity by rotating the corners into position with the unbandaged faces).
3) Solve the outer edges with [EPS sequences on unbandaged faces] and [setup/restore moves that may include bandaged faces] taking care not to displace inner edges.
4) Solve the potential parity situation (check for 1 corner placed and 3 unplaced). You can rotate 3 corners on the L face with: (U=bandaged R=unbandaged): (R U R U')x2.
5) Solve the yellow and white CCs on the orange/blue outer edge. Hold the 2 unbandaged faces as R & L, insert it into `that` unbandaged front edge position (using EPS sequences), turn the CC on, remove it with EPS, etc. Once the CCs are attached re-solve it. (You can do it another way but I find this easier).
6a) Next we will solve the 6 CCs in the 2 front outer corners(the other yellow & white CCs), and anticipate how we can finish with all of the blue and orange CCs solved too. We will be inverting the Tet upside down and back (so that the U layer will alternatively be orange or blue) depending on our needs.
6b) Therefore we will use EPS on the 2 outer edges on the current U layer, and the front edge. This will flip 2 edges and preserve the orientation of the other (but move them all- and their attached CCs will move with them). So we can target CCs we would like to exchange (they are the 2 on the target corner’s edges that are involved in the first downward turn- and always the one on the U face). And we can store the CC we would like to place onto one of the flipped edges under the edge that doesn’t flip (it is the edge that will not be involved in the first downward turn).
6c) Our sequence will be: Do the D layer setup to store/retain our desired CCs, perform EPS, turn D to attach our desired arrangement, and then undo the EPS, and finally return the D layer.
7) The last 3 CCs in the last outer corner. OK, so it is not a switch, but a 3 cycle, and this will really start to become evident during the last few in which you will have to set up the final corner to be: Cycle 1) One of the R or L CCs is correct. Cycle 2) Load the other one with a D face CC. Cycle 3) Load the U CC with the one that belongs in the incorrect R or L position. Cycle 4) Store the unplaced CC in the D layer and then complete the final EPS cycle.
8) Place corners with [unbandaged faces as R & L] and perform: Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3, setup moves if needed.
9) Orientate 3 corners on L face with U & R faces unbandaged: (R U R U')x6.
Orientate 2 corners, on BL & BR with U & R faces unbandaged: R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y'.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PS See how you go, this document may need a few edits and I hope you don't mind the long post. I’m interested to hear feedback.

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:36 am 

Hi Crazies.
Just a little update - I am sooo far behind you guys but:
Got Jupiter 3x3 on Monday and have solved it about 15-20 times now. Very simple, but as you said Burgo, it does have character. I have enjoyed it, but am now going to try Uranus.

Slightly off topic, I also got a Curvy Copter (TomZ of course), and I love it. I have purposely NOT looked for solutions and worked out moves to fix faces, corners etc myself. It has been very satisfying even though the puzzle is relatively simple!

I shall attempt to do this for Uranus now - and then look at the tutorials!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:51 am 

I have a Jupiter and Mercury Crazy Tetrahedron. Does anyone have an algo for cycling the inner circle corners? I tried corner reduction on the Jupiter bit I really didn't like that method-it's just not for me. Any help would be appreciated(spoiler algos welcome)! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:11 pm 

77mouser wrote:
I have a Jupiter and Mercury Crazy Tetrahedron. Does anyone have an algo for cycling the inner circle corners? I tried corner reduction on the Jupiter bit I really didn't like that method-it's just not for me. Any help would be appreciated(spoiler algos welcome)! :)

I don't have an algo per se (I looked for one initially) but jupiter is very nice to solve by reduction. If you want I can make a rough video and youtube it to show you how I do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:17 pm 

@Oxymoronicuber: Congratulations on your purchases, they are getting rarer.

@77Mouser: The corner cycling algos are in the early posts, Konrad's are on page 2 (3 posts from the bottom), Mine are on page 3 (18 posts from the top). You will be able to take CC (Circle Corner) last methods from current tutorials by just ignoring the CC reduction and applying the algos on those diagrams as a last stage.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:02 pm 

@Burgo - I tried about 8 shops (some good some bad :shock: ) to find a Jupiter, but CubeDepot had that and TomZ Curvy too, so it worked out really well.

Actually worked out algs for the Curvy Copter and enjoy solving it a lot. Might even put them up!

Thanks, Burgo, for your tutotorials! I went for the Earth/Uranus conversion and then tried the Earth -and then went straight to Youtube! It's the little things like where to put the 2 bandaged sides "out of the way" that thwart me. Won't put me off though.

Lots more variants to play with whilst saving up for new mf8 puzzles coming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 pm 

Burgo wrote:
...@77Mouser: The corner cycling algos are in the early posts, Konrad's are on page 2 (3 posts from the bottom), Mine are on page 3 (18 posts from the top). You will be able to take CC (Circle Corner) last methods from current tutorials by just ignoring the CC reduction and applying the algos on those diagrams as a last stage.

Cheers,
Burgo.
Burgo, 77mouser asked for a Crazy Tetrahedron CC sequence (I will never use the word algo again :lol: ) I do not see how my Crazy 3x3x3 Plus sequences can help him.
I see very long sequences for the Jupiter Tetra only.
Reduction is much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:14 pm 

I have a couple of questions:

I came up with these 2 Tetrahedron algos (now we’re stuck with it :lol: ), so the question is.. Is there a better one for the first one? And: Can anyone see if there is a better sequence for the second one? (Because it is an 80 move sequence if 2 corners need orientating). At least it's easy to remember.

1) All Tetrahedrons:
Rotates 3 corners around a face without disturbing edges: [R’URU’ RUR U’R’] Can be used on the Tets except with an unbandaged face as U.

2) Mars Tet:
Orientates 3 corners, on R face with [unbandaged faces as R & L] and perform: [(RL’R’L)x3 U’]x3.
Orientates 2 corners, on BL & F with [unbandaged faces as R & L] and perform: [(RL’R’L)x3 U’]x3 R [(L’RLR’)x3 U]x3 R’.

Actually, the reason I went with reducing Mars to a `circle cube` was that I didn't know a corner orientation alg for the situation of `2 bandaged faces`, but now I have one: [R' (R'URU' RUR U'R') R] Y [LU'L'U L'U'L' UL] Y' orientates 2 corners on D & BL. So I can't see anything precluding reducing it to a `standard cube`. It might just be better to do that? EDIT: I just put the method on the post^^ :D It is the better method.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:03 pm 

Hi Burgo,

thanks for sharing all of this. :D I can not add much.
Here come 5 sequences (the first two just visualize your corner orientation sequences):

Number 3 swaps 2 - 2 corners by 10 moves
Number 4 flips edge RL, keeps the other edges in the lower tip unflipped, keeps the orange edges in U layer.
EDIT: I use this sequence for joining pieces with CCs. I describe it here, because the restricted storage space makes it hard setting the pieces up for CC joining.
Number 5 is a clockwise rotation of 3 corners in the L layer (8 moves instead of your 9 moves; not much shorter but pretty regular)
EDIT:
(R U R U' R U R U')x3 is an alternative for orientating 3 corners (only two faces are turned)

Last edited by Konrad on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:49 am 

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for sharing too :D .
1&2 The first 2 corner orientation algs I am using (as you said).
3 The (2 + 2 swap) I have used (R'LRL')x3, it is more moves, but it only uses 2 faces which becomes important with the other Tets that have more restrictions.
4 What are you using this sequence for? For joining CCs to outer edges I think? (but maybe orientating outer edges?)
5 This is a great little sequence, I am going to adopt this.. it makes mine look like a model T Ford! It will orientate also with R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y', which is important for the more restricted puzzles.
Your diagrams are excellent as usual. I was a little worried that this conversation might not get going. I have only just started on these puzzles so I consider everything a work in progress.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:48 am 

Burgo wrote:
4 What are you using this sequence for? For joining CCs to outer edges I think? ...Burgo.

Exactly so!
EDIT: BTW, is this your order from easy to difficult: Regular, Jupiter, Mercury, Mars - for those you have described above?
I own the first three only and I'm not sure if I need more Craziness :lol: with all the new puzzles coming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:02 am 

Mars is really worth getting I think (along with Standard0000, Jupiter and Mercury which you have) those 4 are the `ones to have` if you are limiting your purchases in the series, in my opinion. Mars offers the ability to reduce it to a Standard Cube or a Circle Cube (2 puzzles for the price of 1). As for difficulty, I think as a Standard Cube, Mars may be a bit easier to solve than Mercury (but definately harder to figure out if you're a solver), and as a circle cube it is harder than Mercury, it is fairly tough as a circle cube.

If you are making your own methods, attempt them in the order Standard000, Jupiter, Mercury, Mars.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 am 

Hi Crazies,

Is the standard 0000 a good choice to begin ?
My question:
A circle-cube with all centers are (0) unbandaged is like a Rubik's Cube with marked centers ( pictures on it , or so).

Is the standard 0000 tetrahedron analog this a normaly tetrahedron with marked centers ?

Cheers,
Andrea

8 Bermudas and 9 Tets are to much weight for the santa-claus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi Crazies,

Is the standard 0000 a good choice to begin ?
My question:
A circle-cube with all centers are (0) unbandaged is like a Rubik's Cube with marked centers ( pictures on it , or so).

Is the standard 0000 tetrahedron analog this a normaly tetrahedron with marked centers ?

Cheers,
Andrea

8 Bermudas and 9 Tets are to much weight for the santa-claus.

Yes, a Regular Crazy Tetrahedron is equivalent to a Jing's Pyraminx with marked centres.
You can solve it as a Skewb Ultimate as well: The six edges correspond to the six edges of the Skewb Ultimate (which have orientation where the ordinary Skewb does not). 4 centres + 4 corners of the Tet correspond to the 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate.
Still, some have described the Regular as confusing and have said it depends on your Skewb Ultimate method, if you'll find it easy.
With my current knowledge I would rather have Mars instead of the Regular. :) (I have got Regular, Jupiter and Mercury)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:31 am 

Hi Konrad,

Quote:
4 centres + 4 corners of the Tet correspond to the 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate.

The Skewb Ultimate ( I don't have) is a dodecahedron shape with skewb functionality ?
A skewb with marked centers ?
The centers have 2 possible orientations like corners on FTO , ok ?
But the centers of crazy tetrahedon have 3 possible orientations.

Quote:
With my current knowledge I would rather have Mars instead of the Regular. :) (I have got Regular, Jupiter and Mercury)

Today,I ordered only Mars and Jupiter tetrahedron. ( and 8 Bermuda Planets) The Standard 0000 is out of production.
I want begin with easy situations and learn more. Perhaps it's posible without the standard 0000.
I prefer cubes in my hands instead of simulations.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 am 

Hi Konrad and Andrea,
At first I didn't buy the 0000, but after playing with it on the sim I bought it. I wouldn't recommend it as a difficult crazy puzzle, but I found it quite an interesting puzzle, and interesting enough to buy it :) . I liked how it was solvable as face turning and corner turning with the same method. But if I had to choose: the essential Tetrahedrons are Jupiter, Mercury and Mars.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi Konrad,

Quote:
4 centres + 4 corners of the Tet correspond to the 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate.

The Skewb Ultimate ( I don't have) is a dodecahedron shape with skewb functionality ?
This is a Skewb UltimateImage
6 edges of the Crazy Tet = 6 edges of the Skewb Ultimate (= 6 centres of a normal Skewb + marks)
4 centres + 4 corners of the Crazy Tet = 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate

As you can seevon my picture the edges (pieces with four stickers) can be distingishably misoriented by 180 °
Andrea wrote:
A skewb with marked centers ?
The centers have 2 possible orientations like corners on FTO , ok ?
But the centers of crazy tetrahedon have 3 possible orientations.

4 centres of the Tet = 4 of the 8 corners on a Skweb (as I had said in my post and you quoted me. :) )

Post subject: Re: How to solve Dayan's Crazy 3x3x3 and Megaminx?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:06 am 

I was playing with my witeden 333 yesterday and today. I managed to solve it once, but not confidently. Tried again today and couldn't make it happen again. Checked on this thread and found schuma's solution below. What a wonderfully straightforward and logical solution! Thanks schuma for posting it. :)

Now to see whether something similar will work for the 334 and 335.

schuma wrote:
Aha, you guys are talking about witeden super 3x3x3. I borrowed it from Brandon last weekend and have solved it. Here's my strategy:

0. Let the two faces (white and yellow) with circles be U and D.

1. Put the yellow circle edge pieces to the yellow face, and the white
circle edge pieces to the white face. Algorithms are quite intuitive,
like [R,F,R'].

2. Solve the middle layer (between U and D). If we need to do an even
permutation, then [R2, F2]x2 is sufficient. If we need to do an odd
permutation on the middle layer edges, then swap two indistinguishable
yellow circle edge pieces at the same time to make the whole process
an even permutation. Algorithm: [L',R], F2, [L,R'], F2,

3. Solve the circle corner pieces, ignoring the orientation.
Algorithm: [F,R',F'],L,[F,R,F'],L', or some variations. In the photo,
the URF corner is considered solved, because it has a yellow circle
corner in it and the whole corner is in the yellow layer. It doesn't
matter the yellow circle corner piece is facing front, because I'm
ignoring the orientation in this step.

4. Solve the orientation of the corner pieces, so that the small
circle pieces are on the top or bottom face. Algorithm: [F,R',F',R]x2,
L,[R',F,R,F']x2, L,

5. Solve the rest pieces just like the top and bottom layers of 4x3x3.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm 

Konrad:

Yes I quoutes the sentence to unterstand how the 4 centres and corners build the corners of skewb.
Now I understand it.

Because I have no skewb ultimate skewb kite or crazy Tet 0000 I used my normal skewb and marked the centers with small paper stripes. I used some pyraminx sequences to turn the squares 180 degrees.
It works.

rline:

Congratulation solving the witeden super 3x3x3. Do you know Burgos super 3x3x3 solving Method ( YouTube)?
I like it, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:47 pm 

Reply to the posting from Termite
Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:05 am

Hi Michael,

My Crazy Megaminx Earth has the same defekt, now. Same color, same pieces. The inner and outer center are derformed , so they can not separated.

Cheers,
Andrea

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next