Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Message to Custom Puzzle Craftsmen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:22 am 

Just from reading all the discussion posted here over the last year or two, it would appear that some gifted custom puzzle craftsmen may have been discouraged from plying their talents and offering their wares at auction sites such as eBay. What a shame!

I have just discovered eBay in the past month, and it is so exciting to see the fantastic designs that have been offered there. (even though, I can't possibly hope to outbid these winners.)

What incredible creative talent there is out there! What a delight to see it! Don't give up.

Post subject: I think you're mistaken
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2000 12:31 am 
It's okay when people make their own stuff and put it on ebay. It's bad when they claim that it is authentic. One person put up an item and said it was the real deal but it was completely fake. That's when most of the posts were put up.
Michael

Post subject: re: Message to Custom Puzzle Craftsmen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:32 am 

: Just from reading all the discussion posted here over the last year or two, it would appear that some gifted custom puzzle craftsmen may have been discouraged from plying their talents and offering their wares at auction sites such as eBay. What a shame!

: I have just discovered eBay in the past month, and it is so exciting to see the fantastic designs that have been offered there. (even though, I can't possibly hope to outbid these winners.)

: What incredible creative talent there is out there! What a delight to see it! Don't give up.

As one of the puzzle craftsmen out there, I think I can speak for the sellers at least that given the work involved in designing the puzzles, much less actually building them, it's pretty depressing to see how little people are offering for them. For example, a custom made Rubik's Master Magic, guaranteed to only have 10 in the world, only went for $52, while a "super rare" tiled Professor's Cube, which anyone could buy online at Meffert's site, consisently reaches $75 or more. During the past several months, I kept telling myself that it was a temporary slump, things'll get better once Christmas rolls around, then all of a sudden we get this election thing in the US, almost everyone zips up their wallets until the matter is resolved and the slump continues, so it shouldn't really be much of a shock that puzzle makers are getting depressed. Hopefully, things will look up soon, but I'm not holding my breath. As you say, it's a real shame. L8r.

Post subject: re: I think you're mistaken
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 12:31 am 

: It's okay when people make their own stuff and put it on ebay. It's bad when they claim that it is authentic. One person put up an item and said it was the real deal but it was completely fake. That's when most of the posts were put up.

You mean the Fisher Cube? That I don't mind so much. After all, while it may not be "the" prototype designed by Mr. Fisher, it still took an awful lot of work to make it (I'm guessing at least 10 hours plus for the actual construction work, not to mention all the brainstorming to come up with the necessary techniques). What annoyed me most was fontmonger/cubologist's auctions which say "I'm clearing out my collection and this must go along with the rest", even though it's obvious to anyone who has watched his auctions for a while that he keeps getting more and more puzzles all the time. 2 summers ago, I asked him how many more puzzles he had left to sell. He told me that he had about 15 puzzles left. Since then, he's sold more than that in stickered Professor's Cubes alone. As soon as Meffert's switched to tiles, hey, what do you know? So did he. I've got nothing against his buying puzzles and selling them for a profit on eBay or anywhere else, but you'd think he'd be able to drop the lie. L8r.

Post subject: Customs, and Hi, I'm new
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 2:32 am 

If you're worried about the prices of your custom creations, auctions are probably not the way to sell them. A well known but only somewhat rare item can easily sell for much more than an unknown but extremely rare item just based on the higher level of interest.

Selling them direct is nice since (assuming everything is above board) you get what you think you deserve (you set the price) and the customer is guaranteed to get what they want.

Tangent #1: I only just (like, last 3 days) got interested in the darned things again. I have the same pitiful collection I had back in the early 1980's - a vintage 3x3x3 cube, pyraminx, spherical 3x3x3, a Missing Link - and I just rushed out and bought a Square 1 and a pair of 2x2x2s (one to save, one is already dismantled). Auctions may be the only way to pick up some of the rarer things not offered by Meffert's, but I'd love a cheaper and more definite outlet for purchasing hand-crafted things.

Tangent #2: The roundabout way I got into the "scene", as it were: For some forgotten reason I stumbled across a review of the film series Hellraiser which described the Puzzle Box (a.k.a. Lament Configuration) as a "demonic Rubik's cube". That got me wondering if anyone had ever made a suitibly decorated cube; a few searches later and I'm discovering Skewbs and Dinos, Siamese and Bandaged cubes, not to mention the other polyhedra. Very cool.