Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3x3x2 parity
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 pm 

Hello, I have done a search about this on twistypuzzles before posting this topic, but all the websites that had any sort of solutions for the domino that were linked to on other topics are links that no longer work, or the site is down or something.
I've had a domino for a few days and have been dinking around with it for awhile, and have managed to solve it multiple times, however I usually get a very annoying parity that I can't solve without rescrambling part of it and resolving.

These are the steps I take to solving the domino:
1. Pair up all edges in the right spots
2. Pair up all corners
3. Flip appropriate corner pairs.

Usually when all that is said and done, I have 1 edge pair that is flipped, but everything else is in the right spot.
Does anyone have an optimal algorithm for this parity?

Thank you,
Elijah

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

Post subject: Re: 3x3x2 parity
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:00 am 

Doing the move [L, U2]x3 will switch the Upper-front and Upper-back edges, so do set up moves to put the edges you need to switch in this position and do the algorithm, then reverse the set up moves.

Unless I misunderstood your parity (which is likely), this should help. Hope it does.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 am 

yes! Wonderful! That is extremely easy I love it! Thank you very much. :D

edit: by the way, is there also a shorter algorithm to flipping a corner pair or swapping 2 adjacent corners?

I've been using the 5x5x5 algorithms

swap 2 adjacent corners, one in UFR position, and one in UBR position: Li 2U Li 2U 2F Li 2F R 2U Ri 2U 2L

flip a corner pair in UF position(also flips edge pair): 2R 2B 2U L 2U Ri 2U R 2U 2F R 2F Li 2B 2R

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am 

Try R U R U’ R F U’ F U F. I have it on my computer as "two-corner across swap", but I don't remember what it does exactly and I don't have my 3x3x2 assembled.

Transsexual and Proud!